Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

E-2C Hawkeye Spotted

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> E-2C Hawkeye Spotted Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
E-2C Hawkeye Spotted - 4/12/2017 12:32:44 PM   
kevinkins

Driving south along Ocean Ave, Sea Bright NJ along the Atlantic I saw a Hawkeye fly north along the coastline at about 1500 feet. NWS Earle is 5 miles away and Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst is to the south. I would have stopped and snapped a photo, but the folks I was with would have thought I was crazy. I believe they were flying under and outside the JFK International approach. Some sort of training mission. Rare sighting.

Kevin
Post #: 1
RE: E-2C Hawkeye Spotted - 4/12/2017 12:39:20 PM   
Airborne Rifles

I live in the Hudson valley. Saw one flying north along the river a couple weeks ago. Below hilltop level, so, under 1000 feet.

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 2
RE: E-2C Hawkeye Spotted - 4/12/2017 1:15:56 PM   
Coiler12

quote:

ORIGINAL: Airborne Rifles

I live in the Hudson valley. Saw one flying north along the river a couple weeks ago. Below hilltop level, so, under 1000 feet.

I live in the same area and can frequently see big cargo planes heading to Stewart AFB.

(in reply to Airborne Rifles)
Post #: 3
RE: E-2C Hawkeye Spotted - 4/12/2017 2:56:39 PM   
kevinkins

I forgot Lakehurst has one of the few on-land arresting cable set-ups for testing and training. Go Navy.

Kevin

(in reply to Coiler12)
Post #: 4
RE: E-2C Hawkeye Spotted - 4/12/2017 6:37:25 PM   
HalfLifeExpert

The university I attend is near Point Mugu NAS in Southern California, in fact one of the landing approach patterns takes planes well within sight of campus.

These are the aircraft I have seen coming into land there:

C-130

E-2C Hawkeye

F-18 Hornet

C-17 Globemaster

P-3C Orion

P-8 Poseidon

Also, I remember one morning during my Senior year of high school, a pair of F-22 Raptors flew right over campus, headed toward the Pacific ocean. They were not that high ether, they were loud, and I was able to see the sun glinting off the pilot's canopies as I was not directly under them. THAT was awesome, but very bizarre, as military aircraft are practically never seen over that area. Well, active aircraft that is, occasionally one may see vintage planes. Very interestingly, it was the morning after this: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/mystery-missile-launch-seen-off-calif-coast/

< Message edited by HalfLifeExpert -- 4/12/2017 7:02:37 PM >

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 5
RE: E-2C Hawkeye Spotted - 4/12/2017 6:59:42 PM   
Lowlaner2012

Hey I live in Derby UK, once when I was walking my dog I seen a Royal Airforce AWACS flying really low, is was a majestic sight, also there is a big wildlife park not far from where I live and I seen an Apache training using cover and such :)

(in reply to HalfLifeExpert)
Post #: 6
RE: E-2C Hawkeye Spotted - 4/12/2017 7:05:22 PM   
HalfLifeExpert

That's pretty cool about the Apaches. Ive seen military helicopters a few times on my commute to work, a couple of AH-1 Cobras, and one time I saw a CH-46 Sea Knight flying parallel to the freeway near the office, and I could actually see the barrel of the .50 cal sticking out of the rear ramp way.

< Message edited by HalfLifeExpert -- 4/12/2017 7:17:22 PM >

(in reply to Lowlaner2012)
Post #: 7
RE: E-2C Hawkeye Spotted - 4/12/2017 8:17:51 PM   
Primarchx

A few years back the Thunderbirds came to town for an airshow at the airport. A friend of mine and I decided to go out the day before and see if we could spot them on the flight line. On our way we stopped at a Mexican restaurant to grab burritos and ate them outside at a canopy table. While we were eating I suddenly noticed a three-ship of F-16 buzzing around the horizon over my buddy's shoulder.

I was about to say something when I saw they had all hit the deck and were zooming toward us. Seeing they would pass directly over us in a matter of seconds I kept my mouth shut. It wasn't the nicest thing to do but it was funnier than hell when they shrieked overhead and my buddy practically jumped out of his shorts!

< Message edited by Primarchx -- 4/12/2017 8:18:30 PM >

Post #: 8
RE: E-2C Hawkeye Spotted - 4/13/2017 2:08:12 AM   
Excroat3

Living near Great Lakes Naval Base, all I see are mostly Blackhawks and Jayhawks. A couple times, they were low enough that I could see legs hanging out from the sides of the Blackhawks! Definitely adds fuel to the rumors that SEALs are stationed there...

(in reply to Primarchx)
Post #: 9
RE: E-2C Hawkeye Spotted - 4/13/2017 6:33:28 AM   
ojms

quote:

ORIGINAL: highlandcharge

Hey I live in Derby UK, once when I was walking my dog I seen a Royal Airforce AWACS flying really low, is was a majestic sight, also there is a big wildlife park not far from where I live and I seen an Apache training using cover and such :)

I've seen it too, flying low over the A52 on my way home from work and also it was doing touch and go landings at East Mids.

Post #: 10
RE: E-2C Hawkeye Spotted - 4/13/2017 6:28:44 PM   
rjm51973

I live a few miles from the Little Rock AFB. I've watched C-130s all my life, and can tell the J models from the older ones at quite a distance. Every now and then, something different comes through, and I have seen E-2 and E-3 AWACS, cargo planes, fighters of all varieties, and even some B-52s on occasion.

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 11
RE: E-2C Hawkeye Spotted - 4/13/2017 8:17:01 PM   
mikmykWS

Plymouth MA. Don't see much other than the coast guard helos and big Pave Paws when crossing the Sagamore onto the Cape.
South Boston: Fly overs during games from F-15 at Barnes, C-5s from Westover and F-16s from Vermont. Occasional port visits by US Navy and NATO. Oh and when the terrorist shtsacks bombed our city we saw armed Blackhawks and Coastie gunboats in the harbor. Not as cool as you might think.
Odenton Maryland: Not much but a strange ringing in my ears from the spooks at Ft. Meade.
South Carolina: A summer of Ospreys operating from small fields in the early to mid 2000s.
Rhode Island 90's: Cold war frigates. Lots of them.

Mike

(in reply to rjm51973)
Post #: 12
RE: E-2C Hawkeye Spotted - 4/14/2017 7:43:46 AM   
Anathema

Since the 2000 Olympics and 9/11 the Australian Army has held counter-terrorism exercises in the middle of Sydney. I used to work opposite an office building used by the defence force and a few times a year Blackhawks would suddenly appear right outside the window literally flying down the middle of the street between the skyscrapers before pulling into a hover as the Commando Regiment fast roped down. It was an awesome sight and an incredibly impressive display of flying skill, although I was always surprised they were allowed to do it because it was the busiest part of the city and would end very badly if things went wrong.

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 13
RE: E-2C Hawkeye Spotted - 4/14/2017 12:56:09 PM   
kevinkins

Around the same time Fort Monmouth - when it was open - always held a large Armed Forces day fair/picnic and managed to bring in all sorts of equipment and even had mock air assaults on the parade ground. But the most impressive was that one year the local model air plane club brought in a freaking apache. While we let kids sit in it, adults chatted with the pilots. That was cool, but I will always remember the raw power of the thing powering up and taking off and flying over our heads at tree top level.

Kevin

(in reply to Anathema)
Post #: 14
RE: E-2C Hawkeye Spotted - 4/17/2017 9:34:25 PM   
HalfLifeExpert

I saw a B-29 today...

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 15
RE: E-2C Hawkeye Spotted - 4/19/2017 9:59:05 AM   
Rhygin00

During a day in the sun on Coronado Beach I witnessed USN traffic, including E-2s, flying directly over me while on final approach there. Also was the first time I saw a helicopter land on a runway much like a fixed-winged aircraft.

Post #: 16
RE: E-2C Hawkeye Spotted - 4/29/2017 7:14:47 PM   
Dan109

Growing up in Louisiana in the 70s (seen the entire arsenal as I grew up near Barksdale AFB, SAC Command), when they built I-49 in the 80s, which ran by England AFB, A-10s were often seen doing what appeared to be practice runs for strafing tanks. Their flybys over the highway were pretty damned low. It eventually stopped, I think because of complaints. Yeah, nothing more fearful being in a vehicle, and staring at that 30mm cannon!

< Message edited by Dan109 -- 4/29/2017 7:16:00 PM >

(in reply to Rhygin00)
Post #: 17
RE: E-2C Hawkeye Spotted - 5/1/2017 10:15:23 PM   
kevinkins

Saw another E-2C Hawkeye today at 1000 feet. This time a bit more inland while I was fishing. It was screaming to the north over the Colts Neck VOR (just north of NAS Earle) and once out of sight it came back around on opposite southern heading. Pretty confident these Hawkeyes are training using the Lakehurst facilities I mentioned above. I never saw a turbo fly that fast so low except at an air show.
There was a "purpose" in the sound of the engines.

Kevin

(in reply to Dan109)
Post #: 18
RE: E-2C Hawkeye Spotted - 5/2/2017 12:30:03 AM   
CCIP-subsim

I don't get to see much where I live these days Out of the places I've lived in Canada, I've probably seen more military traffic in Niagara Falls than elsewhere - and mostly on the US side, mostly being locally-based KC-135s. But there'd also be other traffic in for airshows, visits, or I transit to what I gather were joint exercises with Canada (one particularly memorable instance was a half-dozen A-10s arriving one grey morning from over Canada).
In Ottawa military presence is pretty light these days - but a few years ago I remember there was an F-18 that was scrambled for some security alert, and was definitely seen and heard all over town. But then there's a usually a whole week in late June when the Snowbirds are practicing over the city for their Canada Day show, so that makes a pleasant racket

Of the more exotic things - back in the ol' USSR, my family did a fair bit of camping in the Karelian Isthmus back in 1990-1991, and for several days in the summer of 1990, there was a period when military jets would pass overhead at relatively low altitudes every 10-15 minutes, day and night. I definitely remember MiG-29s and Su-24s, though since it was cloudy much of the time, we'd only rarely catch a glimpse. Must've been an exercise of some sort!

I'm just grateful I've not had to live in a place where seeing military aircraft means not "cool, look at that!" but more "quick, hit the floor!" Cause I've got a bunch of friends and colleagues from Iraq, and boy, they've got some stories....

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 19
RE: E-2C Hawkeye Spotted - 5/2/2017 1:04:43 PM   
Nangleator

During my Private Pilot training, one of my solo legs took me over Hanscom, in Massachusetts. It's ordinarily a pretty sleepy place, military-wise, but on this day, I got to look down on an A-10 while I was still wondering if "A ten" was some sort of Piper. There was also an aluminum cloud in front of me, which made me ruminate on wingtip vortices for a bit.

(in reply to CCIP-subsim)
Post #: 20
RE: E-2C Hawkeye Spotted - 5/2/2017 3:12:56 PM   
kevinkins

Hawkeye at Lakehurst several years ago ...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Nangleator)
Post #: 21
RE: E-2C Hawkeye Spotted - 5/2/2017 9:07:02 PM   
tjhkkr

St. Louis used to have an National Guard Base out here, and Scott Air Force Base is also relatively close.
We also have McDonnell Douglas, now Boeing. I think they have had a couple of airshows so I have seen up close and personal a couple of other birds.

I have seen
- F-4e (Air National Guard)
- F-100 (Air National Guard)
- F-15 (Air National Guard)
- F-15 (Saudi Version)
- EF-18 (New construction?)
- F-18a
- F-18c
- E-3 (I am not sure why that was in St. Louis)
- B-1 (Air show, I am guessing)
- AV-8 Harrier
- C-5
- C-130
- B-52 (Air show, I am guessing)
- F-14 Tomcat... that was in between Fort Worth and Dallas, Texas.
And the last one, you will not believe...
I saw a B-2 over in Illinois, and I cannot begin to imagine WHY it was there. It was actually circling something... and I do not think it was circling Scott Air Force Base.

I guess I have been a lucky man to have seen all of these.

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 22
RE: E-2C Hawkeye Spotted - 5/4/2017 11:23:33 AM   
Zaslon

quote:

ORIGINAL: tjhkkr

St. Louis used to have an National Guard Base out here, and Scott Air Force Base is also relatively close.
We also have McDonnell Douglas, now Boeing. I think they have had a couple of airshows so I have seen up close and personal a couple of other birds.

I have seen
- F-4e (Air National Guard)
- F-100 (Air National Guard)
- F-15 (Air National Guard)
- F-15 (Saudi Version)
- EF-18 (New construction?)
- F-18a
- F-18c
- E-3 (I am not sure why that was in St. Louis)
- B-1 (Air show, I am guessing)
- AV-8 Harrier
- C-5
- C-130
- B-52 (Air show, I am guessing)
- F-14 Tomcat... that was in between Fort Worth and Dallas, Texas.
And the last one, you will not believe...
I saw a B-2 over in Illinois, and I cannot begin to imagine WHY it was there. It was actually circling something... and I do not think it was circling Scott Air Force Base.

I guess I have been a lucky man to have seen all of these.

If the EF-18 looks like a F/A-18A and not like an F/A-18F, it's the spanish version of the F/A-18A+ (F/A-18A with some equipment from C version and some spanish equipment 72 built between 1986-1990) sold by McDonnell as a winner of the FACA program. McDonnel called this version EF-18 (E means España, Spain in spanish).

Kids think about Iran and Amateurs think about Russia, but professionals think about China

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 23
RE: E-2C Hawkeye Spotted - 6/8/2017 1:31:49 AM   
Excroat3

Took a short vacation to Hawaii (specifically Oahu), and saw

-Many F-22s
-Many C-17s
-C-5
-KC-135
-EP-3
-2 AH-64s
-2 CH-47s
-UH-60
-HH-60

Got a lot of photos of both these aircraft and some ships in port, if anyone's interested. Unfortunately, I saw no submarines at Pearl, although I did see 2 LHAs and a bunch of Arleigh Burke DDGs.

(in reply to Zaslon)
Post #: 24
RE: E-2C Hawkeye Spotted - 6/8/2017 4:18:17 AM   
kevinkins

Thanks for the report. We had local news yesterday.

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2017/06/new_tankers_will_land_at_joint_base_first.html

Lakehurst NJ is part of the Joint Base.

Kevin

(in reply to Excroat3)
Post #: 25
RE: E-2C Hawkeye Spotted - 6/21/2017 12:36:45 AM   
kevinkins

One flew over the house this morning. I now recognize the engines vs any other aviation in the area. You can hear the thing coming at the low altitude they are training at. Always around the same time of day. Maybe an ATC thing with Newark, Kennedy and the others in the area.

Kevin

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 26
RE: E-2C Hawkeye Spotted - 6/21/2017 1:30:25 AM   
nelmsm1

Live between Lubbock and Amarillo. Bell Helicopter has a facility in Amarillo and we see V-22 Osprey'$ come over town and transition, helicopter around town a bit, then transition back, and then fly back to Amarillo. Tankers, I forget the designation, out of Altus, come down to Lubbock and do a few touch and go's and head back. Used to work seed fields right next to Cannon AFB bombing range back when they were still basing F-111's there. Walking a field one day headed towards the range when one of those bastards came in behind me treetop height and hot. I didn't hear him until he was right over me. Scared the living crap out of me! Working g fields in the Texas Panhandle used to see the occasional B-52 and B-2 headed for their practice area down in Far West Texas. Finally worked seed fields in the San Joaquin Valley in 1988 and used to see the Navy guys from NAS Lenore flying around. Don't remember what they were flying, F-14's maybe.

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 27
RE: E-2C Hawkeye Spotted - 6/23/2017 7:59:56 PM   
BeirutDude

I'm on the flight pattern for NAS Jacksonville so I get to see all kinds of cool stuff, but mainly P-8's and Seahawks.

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985

I was Navy, but Assigned TAD to the 24th MAU Hq in Beirut. By far the finest period of my service!

(in reply to nelmsm1)
Post #: 28
RE: E-2C Hawkeye Spotted - 6/24/2017 11:25:36 AM   
ultradave

quote:

ORIGINAL: highlandcharge

I lived just on the southern edge of the Lakes District NP for a few years (on assignment from the US - loved living there). We'd be walking the dogs up on a moor and occasionally RAF jets would make 180s to return on a run north. Apparently they sometimes use the mountain of the Lakes District to practice low level flying. They were quite low - enough to wave to the pilots as they banked and sometimes get a wing wag in return.

----------------
Dave A.
"When the Boogeyman goes to sleep he checks his closet for paratroopers"

Post #: 29
RE: E-2C Hawkeye Spotted - 6/24/2017 12:36:51 PM   
Gneckes

I was doing a glider course a few years back at Sinsheim, while some big annual Luftwaffe maneuver (ELITE maybe? don't remember for sure) was being held. Saw about a dozen Tornadoes that day, plus some C-160s. All coming in very low, taking a look at the aircraft museum, and zooming off.

(in reply to ultradave)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> E-2C Hawkeye Spotted Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI