Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

newbie: some questions about scouting

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> newbie: some questions about scouting Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
newbie: some questions about scouting - 4/26/2017 3:52:30 PM   
Chris36

hey, studying the game for 2 weeks now but scouting still isnt clear to me. My questions:

1. How is the scouting value composed, is it a rough value unit type dependent value or an individual value like the sum of the unit`s elements scouting values or even a 'weapon' value like binoculars which an element may have?
1.1 Does the HQ general influence this value?

2. how far can ground units scout? Is it dependent of its scouting value? And if its more than 1 hex, does a higher scouting value increase the chance to get higher detection levels to units at greater distances?

3. Scouting by air: Here you can stack scouting planes which increases the scouting value. About how much does the scouting value increase the % chance to get a higher detection level? I guess at the size of the manual this is dependent on some other factors(terrain, enemy unit size, weather?) as well?

4. Are there files/csv to see the scout value of units/elemts?

thanks

Post #: 1
RE: newbie: some questions about scouting - 4/26/2017 4:00:18 PM   
Telemecus

On number 4 all the data you can get is in either
i) Load the editor for your scenario, click on the CSV after you close the map and export
ii) In your game at the bottom right of the commanders report click on export

These are all the files that you can get. If what you are looking for is available, it will be there.

(in reply to Chris36)
Post #: 2
RE: newbie: some questions about scouting - 5/2/2017 4:14:26 PM   
Chris36

thank you, yes did that and found some interesting data, but not yet any scouting values.
Nah ok it seems it isnt that important to know exactly whats behind the scene about scouting. Knowing the max possible DLs with air recon and the fact that DL will/may increase if you move in or are in a hex adjacent to enemy, seems to be enough to know about scouting.

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 3
RE: newbie: some questions about scouting - 5/2/2017 4:26:16 PM   
Telemecus

There are quite a lot of things that are not revealed algorithmically, perhaps by choice by the developers. If you are playing Axis there is usually a surplus of recon aircraft. So you can keep flying recon missions until you get the max detection level, or until you get bored.

(in reply to Chris36)
Post #: 4
RE: newbie: some questions about scouting - 5/2/2017 5:09:16 PM   
Stelteck

There are interesting hard cap limits in detection level that may be used to try to camouflage armored division in non clear terrain in prevision of an offensive.
(13.2) Air Recon and Detection Levels
For non-air base units, air reconnaissance can raise detection levels up to a maximum of four as follows:
Maximum Detection level 1: Non-Air base units located in non-clear terrain further then 3 hexes from
supplied enemy units.
Maximum Detection level 2: Non air base units located in non-clear terrain and not adjacent to enemy
units.
Maximum Detection level 4: Non-air base units located in clear terrain.

Combined to this :
(13.2.1) Fog of War
As detection level increases, the on-map unit and its hex pop up will display the following information:
Detection Level 1: If the unit is an air base, the type will be displayed; otherwise the unit counter will be
blank.
Detection Level 3: The Unit type will be displayed
Detection Level 5: The Unit name, unit size and CV will be displayed. Enemy units that start adjacent to
friendly units will have a minimum DL of 5.
Detection Level 7: Soft factors can be observed (5.1.3).

It is interesting to keep detection level strictly under 3 in order to hide the unit type.

< Message edited by Stelteck -- 5/2/2017 5:11:06 PM >

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 5
RE: newbie: some questions about scouting - 5/2/2017 5:19:27 PM   
gmtello

1 Always believed that hq leader initiative trasform an attack that is going to fail in an scout attack ( ir the dice rolls) Once it is done the dl raises and the attacks next aré better performed

(in reply to Stelteck)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> newbie: some questions about scouting Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI