Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SPWaW AAR/DAR >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 3/30/2003 11:25:51 PM   
AC

US turn 17

The last turn goes without doubt to the Germans. :( Their move in the east at the only point where the river is fordable could become a thread to my rear - wasn't it for my reserve units I have nearby.
The Scotts and the AA Jeep are meagerly avenged with a PZSchreck unit and a MG Bunker in the west, and the second PzIIIG north of Ansbach, along with two crews and another infantry squad. There I loose a Sherman Dozer to an 88 which has suddenly come back from dead (last turn it showed abandoned) and another Scott is hit badly by a Tiger. Thanks God I still got lots of smoke - and reinforcements to come!:D

AC

"Tridentina, avanti!" General L. Reverberi leading his Alpini troops in the decisive assault on Soviet-held Nikolajewka, 26th January 1943

(in reply to AC)
Post #: 31
- 4/1/2003 1:57:30 PM   
AC

US turn 18

Hill 408 is ours! It did cost us a Stuart, but in exchange we got another 50 mm Pak, a SdKfz that fielded a 75 mm gun, a Pak crew and a Panzerschreck unit.
North of Ansbach we push on. Unfortunately our smokescreen left some LOS, and we lose a halftrack to a Tiger. A tank destroyer gets trough, only to ran into an ambush set up by a German bicycle squad. Because it was late at night, I forgot also about the
AT pillbox which was already surrounded by flames a turn before, and drove a tank straight in front of it: it gets stuck, but after some 10 close assault by infantry the pillbox is taken out.
Nevertheless we take our fourth VH.
On the hill west of Ansbach we are able to destroy a prime mover which seemed bound to carry away the still-alive 128mm Pak.
In the east, a German halftrack is spotted on our side of the river: the Krauts have there at least 2 Stug, an 88 with transport, a flametank and that halftrack. I hope they all get struck in the mud:mad:
However, a bold AA Jeep breaks its cover, and fires a volley on a Stug; the Stug wasn't hit, but an infantry squad in the same hex takes 5 casualties.

"Tridentina, avanti!" General L. Reverberi leading his Alpini troops in the decisive assault on Soviet-held Nikolajewka, 26th January 1943

(in reply to AC)
Post #: 32
- 4/2/2003 3:20:21 AM   
Brutto-Bob

There are so many US tanks north from Ansbach they are waiting orders. What they will do? They can move further north to reach a second town with another bridge. Or they can move left to cross the river here. Or they can move right through a little wood to assault a hill that overwatch Ansbach.

One of my cats hits one M8 Grayhound very far from it.

(in reply to AC)
Post #: 33
- 4/2/2003 3:44:00 AM   
AC

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Brutto-Bob
[B]There are so many US tanks north from Ansbach they are waiting orders. What they will do? [/B][/QUOTE]

They'll kick your a$$, Fritz! (just kidding);)
Gonna do my turn now...

AC

(in reply to AC)
Post #: 34
- 4/2/2003 5:04:05 AM   
AC

US turn 19

I did my turn, and it was the most successfull so far: German casualties amount to 1 Panther D, 1 Stug, 1 Tiger (abandoned), 1 infantry squad, 1 Flammwagen and 1 SdKfz 250/8. :) A second Tiger was hit several times and lost his radiomast (they're ain't gonna listen to "Lili Marlen" no more):p and his coax MG.
Action took place in three places:
- road north of Ansbach: while we scouted through our smoke-screen we were very lucky not to take any hits by German op-fire from two Tigers and a King Tinger (Brutto-Bob, why do you complain?);) positioned in the middle of the road. Moving M4 after M4, and TD after TD in, we managed to disable one Tiger and damage the other, while the King Tiger in the didn't answer our fire any longer. Hopefully they're suppressed enough.
- hill west of Ansbach: on that hill there are sitting at least three Panthers, a Stug and the well-known 128mm AT. One of the Panthers was spotted while moving eastwards, obviously trying to hit our left flank. Maneuvering our tanks positioned downhill some 20 hexes from the Germans, we managed to kill a Stug and a Panther with frontal hits.
- peninsula in the east: as expected the Germans have crossed the river despite the heavy mud. We spot a Flammwagen and a SdKfz, bring in some mobile AT and kill them both. At least one other Stug is already on my side of the Fulda, at his side I spot another and a 88mm gun.

AC

(in reply to AC)
Post #: 35
- 4/3/2003 4:43:52 AM   
Brutto-Bob

One Panther from the top hill starts a duel with one Jackson, and my last round find his target, the Jackson burns.

One halftrack that crossed the bridge in the previous turn was destroyed and his crew shot.

My attempt to cross the river in the south-east was quickly countered by several AA halftracks, some tank and infantry. My Stugs are only able to hit one halftrack in this sector.

(in reply to AC)
Post #: 36
- 4/4/2003 12:01:37 AM   
AC

US turn 20

North of Ansbach, some halftracks were ordered to find the two retreating Tigers. They find the smaller one, and a Jackson kills it, only to be blown to pieces by a second Tiger positioned on the far end of the second bridge. The Panther which was threatening our left flank, is attacked by two Shermans and its crew forced to abandon after it being immobilized. Unfortunately, on the far west, a Sherman which was breaking cover is killed by another Panther. So far, on the hill west of Ansbach there remain two Panthers, 1 Stug, the 128mm Pak (actually abandoned), a 76mm Pak and a MG bunker (plus everything I didn't yet discover, of course).
In the Fulda penisula, we put some fire on an immobilized Stug and some infantry, but without great effects.

(in reply to AC)
Post #: 37
- 4/4/2003 3:04:45 PM   
Brutto-Bob

Not much happens in my turn:
I take some long range fire on enemy tanks placed in the outskirts of Ansbach but the rounds are bouncing off from enemy stiff armour.

My spearhead that attempted a river fording had some problem dealing with mud and US forces that were quick to close the gap in thir right flank.

(in reply to AC)
Post #: 38
- 4/4/2003 3:21:16 PM   
AC

US turn 21

Advance from Ansbach to Hersfeld, which is now in sight of my forward elements, is halted in order to consolidate what has been gained so far. We decide to employ two halftracks to scout out the eastern part of hill 324 where we know a 75mm Pak must be positioned. The first halftrack, moving on top of the hill from the east, gets fired at but is missed, but cannot spot yet the gun. We move in a second from the south, which is hit and destroyed; but the gun reveals is position and is killed with six volleys of MG fire from the first halftrack.
In the Fulda penisula, we spot another Stug next to the immobilized one, and bury it under a mountain of gun fire. In the end, it is killed by a Sherman. Nearby, we also get a MG squad, Another Stug, more to the north, is engaged and destroyed by another Sherman.
Seems like the German counterattack in the southeast has been stopped before it even began
:D

(in reply to AC)
Post #: 39
- 4/7/2003 12:48:12 AM   
AC

US turns 22 and 23, German turn 22

Not much has happened in this last two turns. German casualties amount more or less to two MG bunkers, one near hill 324 (where there remains still another one), the other at the entrance of Hersfeld, some bailed crews and some casualties in infantry squads. US troops loose some halftracks and an infantry squad. In turn 22 the US are beginning to penetrate into Hersfeld, in the meantime advancing slowly to hill 324. It's there that a hidden Stug42 opens fire on a recon vehicle, and is in response pounded by several US tanks; however, they don't kill it, but only damage it badly. Mortar fire is killed in to further suppress the Stug and eventually causing its crew to bail.
An infantry squad trying to outflank a bunker facing east runs straight into the field of fire of a second and is eliminated; a second infantry avenges it by takng out the first bunker with bazooka fire.
In the southeast, at the Fulda penisula, fighting has almost ceased; only some exchange of fire with a German infantry squad on the other side of the river, and a German 37mm AA gun manages to immobilize one of my halftracks.

(in reply to AC)
Post #: 40
- 4/9/2003 12:04:16 AM   
Brutto-Bob

Very little to tell about my turn: one MG opens fire taking out a US crew, in the same time a King Tiger fires some 88 shell against one US inf Sqd without results.

(in reply to AC)
Post #: 41
- 4/9/2003 4:42:14 AM   
AC

Not much to tell about my turn neither. On hill 324, we take out another MG bunker, a third survives half a dozen hits of AP rounds from some of my tanks. The remnants of the 128mm AT gun are taken out too. The Stug we have hit hard in the previous turn has been smoked by the Panther we know hiding around there; this turns out to be some hide-and-seek-game, just like in the outskirts of Hersfeld, where the Koenigstiger that fired on a Rifle squad the turn before has disappeared. We also manage todrive back towards the river two infantry and a machine gun squad.
Near hill 408, a Beobachter-SdKfz materializes suddenly next to a Stuart I have left there to guard the VH. It fires its machineguns on the armoured vehicle, scaring its crew to death but nothing more.
In the Fulda penisula, a fourth Stug sitting in the middle of the marshes is spotted, and some casualties are inflicted on an German infantry squad on the other side of the river.
At Ansbach, an advancing Jeep is taken under fire from an 88 on the eastern side of the Fulda; no damage neither to the Jeep nor to the 88.

(in reply to AC)
Post #: 42
- 4/10/2003 3:43:41 AM   
Brutto-Bob

There was some fighting in Hersfeld area around the northen bridge, one US halftrack was hit and abandoned, one flame tank destroyed. A couple of tank crews used as recon infantry are killed by MG fire.

I don't have much forces on the west side of river, and they had no way to retreat 'cause US army controls the west side of both bridges: they will fight to the last man!

(in reply to AC)
Post #: 43
- 4/10/2003 4:51:16 AM   
AC

US turn 25

As the Germans themselves admit, their remaining forces on the western edge of the Fulda are cut off. We know for sure that there is an immobilized Stug and a Panther near hill 324, and a Koenigstiger and the remmants of three rifle squads in Bad Hersfeld. They'll soon will be added to the German casualty list.
On the northern bridge I foolishly loose another tank - a Sherman dozer - engaging a fire fight with a PzIV-something on the eastern bank of the Fulda: the Sherman breaks cover - German op-fire misses - Sherman fires once, no hit and no German op-fire - Sherman fires twice, takes op-fire and is hit in the front and destroyed. Won't do that again. At least my 60mm mortars cut the German's tank tracks.
In the woods down south my Stuart chases the German Beobachter, but its machineguns have no effect also with rear hits (its cannon is long for gone). Gotta move in someone else do get rid of that thing!

(in reply to AC)
Post #: 44
- 4/12/2003 9:51:11 PM   
Brutto-Bob

Some urban fight in Hersfeld: one US tank and one halftrack were destroyed. At the moment there are only small fighting in the west side of river, americans are clearing the whole area.

The bulk of my troops is waiting for the crossing attempt.

(in reply to AC)
Post #: 45
- 4/12/2003 11:06:58 PM   
AC

German turn 27

"Viele Jaeger sind des Hasen Tod" - "Many hunters are the rabbit's dead": :D the lone Panther D which in turn 26 had suddenly come out of cover in a city square in the west of Hersfeld, damaging a M4 HVSS - which was then killed at long range by the Koenigstiger - falls to the combined fire of a Sherman Flail, an engineer squad and a Hellcat (which is the one to kill him with a flank hit).
The Germans loose this turn also a MG and the remnants of a rifle squad.
On the western part of the map there remain so far only the Koenigstiger, a couple of reduced infantry squads, and that Stug that I thought was immobilized but has not been found yet.
Time to get across the river! :D

(in reply to AC)
Post #: 46
- 4/15/2003 6:36:21 PM   
AC

until US turn 29

US troops have now finished to mop up the Germans on the west bank of the Fulda. In the last two turns, two rifle squads and the Koenigstiger :cool:have been killed. Only a Stug is still mssing, I wonder where it is hidden.
In the south, I loose an ammo carrier to the same old Flak across the river:mad: . It is avenged with the Beobachter we were chasing for a few turns now.
At the end of the turn, a smoke screen is laid around the heads of the two bridges leading on the other bank of the Fulda. Where will the Americans strike?

(in reply to AC)
Post #: 47
- 4/17/2003 6:18:34 AM   
AC

US turn 30

From US Headquarters Europe: "An US armored spearhead has crossed the Fulda near Hersfeld despite desperate but ineffective German defense. So far, US tankers have destroyed many medium and heavy enemy tanks, including also a King Tiger."

Das Oberkommando der Wehrmacht gibt bekannt: "In erbitterten Abwehrkaempfen bei Hersfeld ist es den deutschen Truppen gelungen, amerikanische Vorstoesse ueber die Fulda zurueckzuweisen und die Frontlinie zu stabilisieren. Zahlreiche Feindpanzer wurden zerstoert oder beschaedigt." (German Army Headquarters: In heavy defensive fights near Hersfeld German troops managed to drive back American attacks across the Fulda and to stabilize the front line. Numerous enemy tanks were destroyed or damaged.)

Who's right? The Americans, of course! :)After the usual smoking and bombarding, my tanks have crossed either bridges and established bridgeheads east of the Fulda. Near the northern bridge, two Panzer IIIn and a MG team were destroyed (with some good luck, I must admit; one of the Panzers was killed by the first and only shot from an Easy 8 some 15 hexes away).:cool: At the southern bridge, we were fired on by a Stug and a Jagdtiger:eek:. In the western part of Hersfeld, we mopped up the King Tiger's crew, and two infantry squads.
And, of course, we captured two more victory hexes.

I'll be off now for an Easter vacancy for the next 10 days. Don't miss the end of this fight!

(in reply to AC)
Post #: 48
- 4/18/2003 8:31:08 PM   
Brutto-Bob

US forces had crossed the northern bridge, about three or four tanks are on the East bank, but the area is covered by heavy smoke. One inf sqd tries to get closer to find a target for his panzerfaust but is ambushed by one US sqd with flamethrowers, 8 men were killed :mad:

At the southern bridge the US crossing is more cautious but I believe that one or two tanks had do it.

The quick US arty always cover US units before german turn, so my units had no LOS and are forced to retreat to avoid a close fight with the enemy.

Only one M8 HMC comes into sight of my ATG and was destroyed.

(in reply to AC)
Post #: 49
- 4/27/2003 11:24:55 PM   
AC

US turn 31

The American troops are expanding their bridgeheads. At the northern bridge, a second rifle squad is pushed back and an MG team destroyed. An 88, positioned in open field, opens up on the American tanks, but is first blinded with smoke and then put under mortar fire.
At the southern bridge, a heavy assault is made on the command bunker watching the bridge. Tanks and infantry joins in, but the tanks' shots are bouncing of the bunker's armour. At least, the bunker is pinned down. A rifle squad guarding the northern flank of the bunker is pushed back with losses.
At the Fulda penisula, an American bazooka team gets off six shots on a Stug but misses all. An infantry squad joining the fight comes under heavy fire from both a 37mm AA gun and an MG positioned on the other side of the river. After having killed a mobile AA halftrack, the AA gun is severily pinned down by fire from light American tanks.

(in reply to AC)
Post #: 50
- 4/29/2003 5:42:43 AM   
AC

German turn 31 - US turn 32

During the German turn nothing important happens. In my turn, I press on my advance at the northern bridgehead, killing or driving back several infantry and bazooka squads, and losing myself a rifle squad. My scouts detect, positioned all around my bridgehead, 2 PzIV's, 2 Tigers, a Panther, and the known Jagdpanther, along with a railgun that kills one of my halftracks: after all the losses I inflicted on the Germans, still a quite impressive arsenal. :(
At the southern bridgehead, we manage to kill the command bunker, but a Sherman who tried to sneak up on one of the above mentioned Tigers in thick smoke, gets an 88 AP round through its front armor.:mad:
As a payback, in the Fulda penisula I get that lone Stug with a frontal bazooka hit.:cool:

We have five turns left now, and there are still a lot of VHs in German hands. :mad: I'll be lucky if I will grab another two or three, but it will be hard since the Germans can wait for me to drive right in front of their guns. I hope that all the fine German armor burning on the battlefield will get me some points too.

(in reply to AC)
Post #: 51
- 4/30/2003 4:21:19 AM   
Brutto-Bob

Little to report in this turn: only one US infantry squad has been destroyed.
US forces are exapanding their bridgehead, always covered by heavy smoke shields. US tanks are able to hide in my turn so I don't have easy targets.

(in reply to AC)
Post #: 52
- 4/30/2003 5:27:06 AM   
AC

US turn 33

This time I've hurt myself. As my scouts spotted a PzIII and the Jagdtiger at the other end of that small open field between two lines of wood, I decided to go for the III with a Sherman. Exchanged some shots, a Panther from a hill far away in the east joining in without any results. I than tried to move nearer my last Hellcat, but the Jadgtiger, although behind a hex of wood, spotted me and fired - missed. I than moved in an Easy8, fired on the Jagdtiger which turned, fired and missed again. Fine, I thought, let's try again with the Hellcat: it fired, hit, the shell bouncing off. But the Kat turned, fired, and sent my Jackson to its creator. The driver of the Easy than wisely put in the rear gear and headed for cover.
Later, a Sherman fell to the Panther, and a scout car (M10?) to a Flak gun. I only managed to kill three infantry squads and reduce some others.
Trying to hide myself behind the usual smoke screen at the end of turn.

(in reply to AC)
Post #: 53
- 5/1/2003 4:46:17 PM   
Brutto-Bob

In my turn one 88 find his target and hits one M8 HMC.
US forces have seized the woods between the two bridges and the small town next to the northem one.

They have to do another effort to capture the rail station and another bridge placed north from their position.
Or they can push east, to reach a wooden hill that overwatch the area.
There is another choice: they can push south-east to reach two more VHs but those VHs are more far than the previous ones...

What they will do?

(in reply to AC)
Post #: 54
- 5/1/2003 8:11:47 PM   
AC

US turn 34

Seems like the Americans are going for the railway station: 3 VHs not far away and adding up for some 650 points! Once again the Easy 8s do the job, taking out a rail gun and its crew and seizing the first VH.
In the lower part of the bridgehead, two German rifle squads trying to retreat are finished off. While the Jagdtiger has disappeared, an immobilized Tiger is spotted in the woods...
The crew of the 88 that took out the Scott bails.
As usual, the Amis cover their advance with heavy smoke and dedicate some fast response mortars to the spotted German heavies.

(in reply to AC)
Post #: 55
- 5/3/2003 4:36:33 AM   
AC

German turn 34 - US turn 35

During the German turn, a M4A3 near Hersfeld Station is hit in the back by a Tiger from long distance, and an American tank positioned in the woods between the two bridges gets hit two times on its front armor by a PZIII, without consequences.
During their turn, the Americans continue their attack on Hersfeld station, taking the second VH and destroying a PZIVH that was securing the bridge leading to the north. A train engine is also hit, along with a Flak gun.
Near the southern bridge, a combined force of infantry and engineers destroys the immobilized Tiger spotted the turn before.

(in reply to AC)
Post #: 56
- 5/4/2003 12:52:38 AM   
AC

German turn 35 - US turn 36

Nothing interesting happened in the German turn 35. In their turn, however, the Americans seize the third VH near Hersfeld Station, which is on the southern end of a bridge. The platoon of 4 Easy8s destroy in the process 1 German scout car who was guarding the northern end of the bridge, the 37mm Flak who gave some problems the turn before, and one Tiger. This last was destroyed by the first shot of an Easy8 more than 10 hexes away! Good luck or what?
In the woods to the east of the American bridgehead a second PZIVH falls to a combined attack of infantry, engineers and a Sherman Flail.
The probable rest of the German force is sighted deployed on a hill: a Stug, a Tiger, a Panther and the Jagdtiger. They are covered up with Arty. There are two 88's too, which are also targeted by American artillery.

I'm very curious now on the outcome of the battle. If I've done the maths correctly, I have occupied now more than 50% of the VH. Summed up with the, I think, heavy losses inflicted to the Germans, will it be enough for at least a marginal victory? Or, considering my also considerable losses, will it end in a draw?

A last question to you experts out there: in this game it has happened two or three times that an Easy8 or a tank destroyer killed Tigers and Panthers at considerable distance (10+ hexes) with their first shot, and through their front armor. Frankly, I didn't think that this could happen. Is there something wrong, or is it after all possible to score such kills?

(in reply to AC)
Post #: 57
- 5/5/2003 4:09:17 AM   
AC

German turn 36 - US final turn

As the battle comes to an end, nothing interesting happens in these two turns. The German heavy armor is heavily suppressed or simply hiding, and the Americans consolidate their gains, shooting up the remnants of some rifle squads, a train engine and some train cars. They also get their last VH, always at the northern bridge.

(in reply to AC)
Post #: 58
- 5/6/2003 3:19:37 PM   
Brutto-Bob

In my last turn, some panzer leave their lair to shoot on enemy forces, one tank was hit next to the rail station, and one halftrack next the central hill.

Nothing more happens, US forces have consolidated their bridgehead conquering also the northem bridge.

The game scores a draw about 14000 vs 9000 but for the german HQ is a marginal defeat because I hoped to stop the yankees on the left bank of the Fulda river.

I suffer heavy losses in mens and tanks too, these are unexpected because I played a delay battle and my heavy tanks usually do their best with defensive role and long shots.

I lose also many artillery, because I don't have trucks to redeploy.

(in reply to AC)
Post #: 59
- 5/6/2003 7:13:24 PM   
AC

Here are the final results:

Losses: US/German

Men: 477/1057
Arty: 0/25
Soft Vehicles: 7/3
APCs: 23/7
AFVs: 32/33
Aircraft: 2/0

Score

US 14187
German 9587

My best unit is 1st Lt. Hernandez' Easy 8 with 9 kills (experience 72, morale 81).

(in reply to AC)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SPWaW AAR/DAR >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI