Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Operation Torch Expansion

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> Operation Torch Expansion Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Operation Torch Expansion - 5/2/2017 4:55:56 PM   
sfbaytf

I recently bought the Torch module and played the 37 turn Scenario. It's fun but seemed pretty difficult for the Allieds to win. The 8th Army has no problem advancing but the US II Corps, Free French and British forces near Tunis are facing what appears to be much superior German forces. I tried to get my fighters to try and interdict the German air re-supply missions to try and cut off supply but that wasn't happening.

I finally read the manual and from the sound of it an Allied victory is near impossible?

I'm now just starting a 43-45 Campaign against the AI

I like the new module but was a little disappointed that there isn't a 42-45 grand campaign
Post #: 1
RE: Operation Torch Expansion - 5/3/2017 8:08:24 AM   
EddyBear81

The Allied forces in Tunisia were indeed inferior at the beginning : the Germans were able to build up forces much more quickly than the Allies. IMHO it is very well reflected in the game.

In order to secure victory in this scenario, you have to define a very clear strategy and find what will be the decisive factor :
1- I tend to try to occupy the last hilly hexes before the coastal plain (there are 5 or 6 of them), and then try to resist the Axis counterattack. This means concentrating troop in the north, at the price of very light activity (screening bataillons) in the South
2- Alternate strategy could be to outflank via the South (Kasserine, Sidi Bouzid, even Gafsa...). It means just the opposite as previous strategy
3- Axis player (esp. human) has to be deceived as to which strategy is chosen, because he can counter quite easily
4- Be very careful with Allied Air Force, it is really weak at the beginning but will slowly overcome Axis air power. Just dont try Air Superiority missions above Tunis / Sicily in T1 !

+ Plenty of other operational decisions (I haven't even mentioned 8th BR Army and the complexity of logistics and air support in Libya), which makes this scenario one of the very best wargaming experiences.

Tell me if you are interested in a game (Axis or Allies)

Cheers

(in reply to sfbaytf)
Post #: 2
RE: Operation Torch Expansion - 5/3/2017 8:37:04 AM   
IslandInland

EddyBear's advice is good advice.

I like to force the Maknassy Pass and threaten the Italian 1st Army from the rear. Here is an example. I really like this scenario, it's one of my favourites in the game. So much so that I modified it.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4278496

Attachment (1)

War In The East 2 Beta Tester and
War In The West Operation Torch Beta Tester
XXXCorps

(in reply to EddyBear81)
Post #: 3
RE: Operation Torch Expansion - 5/3/2017 4:32:32 PM   
Markojager

quote:

ORIGINAL: EddyBear81

The Allied forces in Tunisia were indeed inferior at the beginning : the Germans were able to build up forces much more quickly than the Allies. IMHO it is very well reflected in the game.

In order to secure victory in this scenario, you have to define a very clear strategy and find what will be the decisive factor :
1- I tend to try to occupy the last hilly hexes before the coastal plain (there are 5 or 6 of them), and then try to resist the Axis counterattack. This means concentrating troop in the north, at the price of very light activity (screening bataillons) in the South
2- Alternate strategy could be to outflank via the South (Kasserine, Sidi Bouzid, even Gafsa...). It means just the opposite as previous strategy
3- Axis player (esp. human) has to be deceived as to which strategy is chosen, because he can counter quite easily
4- Be very careful with Allied Air Force, it is really weak at the beginning but will slowly overcome Axis air power. Just dont try Air Superiority missions above Tunis / Sicily in T1 !

+ Plenty of other operational decisions (I haven't even mentioned 8th BR Army and the complexity of logistics and air support in Libya), which makes this scenario one of the very best wargaming experiences.

Tell me if you are interested in a game (Axis or Allies)

Cheers

Great advises, are you interested in a Torch scenario?

If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly.

David Hackworth

(in reply to EddyBear81)
Post #: 4
RE: Operation Torch Expansion - 5/3/2017 5:42:45 PM   
sfbaytf

I'd be interested in a Torch game as the Axis presumably as it would be easier I'm still learning a lot of the internal game mechanics

(in reply to Markojager)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> Operation Torch Expansion Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI