Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Database WWII

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Database WWII Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Database WWII - 5/6/2017 1:46:00 PM   
Angiel

Hi
I would like to know if there is a database with WW II aircraft / ships / infantry (1940-1945).
Alternatively, can you create it?

Post #: 1
RE: Database WWII - 5/6/2017 3:18:32 PM   
CCIP-subsim

There is not... yet

And no, you cannot create your own databases - those are maintained by developers and developer-approved volunteers. Because of the sheer scale and complexity (and even file size) of the databases, it's important for them to remain standardized. This is because two of CMANO's main assets are a) the databases themselves; b) the ability for ANY user to play ANY scenario in CMANO with a minimum of problems, glitches and compatibility issues - and, should those arise, have them fixed promptly rather than trying to figure out whether it's a problem with the game itself or something the user did to it.

That said... just because a unit or a set of units isn't covered in the database, doesn't mean it won't ever be covered. And if you believe you have something to contribute to the database(s), you can always approach the developers directly! There's no reason the database can't be expanded to cover WWII. But, as with any units, what they'll want is a) good, reliable technical data; and b) understanding of how that data should be translated into CMANO's database format.

(in reply to Angiel)
Post #: 2
RE: Database WWII - 5/6/2017 8:16:44 PM   
mikkey

Angiel, there is no WWII database, but the CWDB database contains several WWII units such as aircraft, ships, submarines etc.

(in reply to CCIP-subsim)
Post #: 3
RE: Database WWII - 5/6/2017 8:30:13 PM   
HalfLifeExpert

No WWII Database at this time, although I think there is some evidence that suggests it is being worked on...

The CWDB does have some WWII assets, mainly US, British, and Japanese, but you can also find a few classes of German U-Boats under 'Generic'. As a rule of thumb, if it was in service after the war through the early 1950s, and not sunk, odds are it is there. Exception is stuff from the first year of the Pacific War, as there is US and Japanese assets to try and recreate some battles from 1941-42.

Certainly one can make some WWII battles with the ships, subs and planes added, but some changes to the engine would also be needed. Better modeling of dogfights (close in aircraft maneuvering) would be needed, and I think it might be worth it to come up with a more processor friendly way of modeling battles with AAA and Naval Artillery, as some of those battles had tons of shells flying at any given time. Archive footage of battles in the Pacific, especially attempts to shoot down Kamikazes, show just how much firepower the US Navy threw into the air.

Here is one such example, start about 40 seconds in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpSuE9BYuj4

And this too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgPzhXIA3KU

The current model may work if you are talking about a 1941-42 Task force, but the 1944-45 fleets would make your processor hate you

< Message edited by HalfLifeExpert -- 5/6/2017 8:42:11 PM >

(in reply to mikkey)
Post #: 4
RE: Database WWII - 5/6/2017 11:43:28 PM   
kevinkins

I made a very credible TAFFY 3 sim (Battle of Leyte Gulf) that was never shared. It can be done. The player does get a sense of the tactics, time and distance problems involved. Is it perfect - no. Is it educational, yep. With the Battle of Midway's 75th fast approaching .. makes one think ...

Kevin

(in reply to HalfLifeExpert)
Post #: 5
RE: Database WWII - 5/7/2017 3:32:51 AM   
HalfLifeExpert

Really? That sounds very interesting, the Battle off Samar is one of my favorite naval engagements. What did you use for the Yamato? Iowa Class?

And yes that is true, 75th Anniversary of Midway, would be really cool to reenact it in CMANO. But that probably wont happen in time, so ill probably just stick to my usual tradition of watching Midway and flying the Bombing Squadron 6 mission in IL2 Sturmovik 1946.

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 6
RE: Database WWII - 5/7/2017 8:15:25 AM   
Jorm

nice,
i think the first thing i'll give a go is operation Pedestal, always been very interested in the mediterranean battles of WWII

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 7
RE: Database WWII - 5/7/2017 6:06:25 PM   
Yorkiesand235

Hi

I would be interested in a WW2 database, as I am not aware any game currently has this capability for the full war. To re-enact the convoy battles of WW2 as per this website http://convoyweb.org.uk/ in scenarios.

How likely is this? I noticed that in an earlier post that it maybe worked upon.

Regards

(in reply to Jorm)
Post #: 8
RE: Database WWII - 5/7/2017 6:09:19 PM   
Yorkiesand235

I also found this for the Medit convoys

http://wow.naval-history.net/xAH-MaltaSupply01.htm

(in reply to Jorm)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Database WWII Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI