Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Changing production of AFV/Artillery to AA

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich >> Changing production of AFV/Artillery to AA Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Changing production of AFV/Artillery to AA - 3/27/2017 9:33:40 PM   
Kursk1943

I'd like to change the production of AFV and Artillery to AA-Guns in order to produce more AA-guns. Does this have any consequences for the performance of the ground troops (maybe a shortness of AFV or artillery??)? Has anyone done it and could give some advice?
Post #: 1
RE: Changing production of AFV/Artillery to AA - 4/5/2017 8:08:38 PM   
CCIP-subsim

I a not an expert on the German side of the campaign, but from what I understand the speed of the Allied advance in the war depends on the "combat strength" value of ground units, which those vehicles and guns add up to. So I guess you can think of it as a reduction in combat strength one way or another - either you lose it through ground units being bombed, or "lose" it by not building up these forces in the first place. It's up to you to decide which one you'd rather prefer!

Keep in mind, too, that raw combat strength is not the only important factor. If your rail infrastructure keeps getting attacked, you won't be able to keep your troops resupplied and reinforced at the front, even if you have more AA guns to defend them or spare vehicle production to replenish combat strength.

< Message edited by CCIPsubsim -- 4/5/2017 8:09:52 PM >

(in reply to Kursk1943)
Post #: 2
RE: Changing production of AFV/Artillery to AA - 4/6/2017 6:47:52 AM   
Kursk1943

Thanks for your guess. I was always a bit uneasy when switching production in favour for AA-guns. Don't know if it's possible ( and worth the effort) to make a comparison of the impact on ground forces between production change and leave production as it is. Perhaps someone could tell who knows about game scripts, codes and editing...
Unfortunately it takes such a long time to play and replay a scenario in sufficient numbers and there are too many other factors to take into consideration (efficiency of enemy ground attacks, of enemy close air support, of axis aa-guns, axis interdiction etc...) to be able to narrow the course of the ground war on just the one factor "quantity of AFV and Artillery production".
So it's still a mistery for me, but your explanation is a sound one, thanks again.

< Message edited by Peter Zimmermann -- 4/6/2017 6:48:41 AM >

(in reply to CCIP-subsim)
Post #: 3
RE: Changing production of AFV/Artillery to AA - 4/6/2017 6:03:50 PM   
warshipbuilder

The ground war is pretty much scripted i.e. it follows history. Although it can be beaten by a wise and knowing player, the AI will just go with the story. So since this is an air war game, go for the AA, you really don't have anything to lose.

warshipbuilder

Any ship can be a minesweeper, once.
ED/BTR Ressurection Project
https://www.bombercommandmuseumarchives.ca/

(in reply to Kursk1943)
Post #: 4
RE: Changing production of AFV/Artillery to AA - 4/6/2017 7:12:26 PM   
Kursk1943

Yessssss! That's what I wanted to hear!

(in reply to warshipbuilder)
Post #: 5
RE: Changing production of AFV/Artillery to AA - 5/5/2017 1:26:13 PM   
Soldmax

My suggestion - to change some production (like 20%) to AA first of all those 50%+ damaged factories that do not produce AFV or artillery anyway and maybe several low value 1-2 producing factories. Even when you have looming numbers of tanks and guns in the pool the ground untis still get defeated around the historical dates.

(in reply to Kursk1943)
Post #: 6
RE: Changing production of AFV/Artillery to AA - 5/9/2017 2:35:57 PM   
Kursk1943

Firstly I changed only the factories with 1 strength point, but recently I changed all the rest. But I doubt that changing is really necessary at all, because now (May 1944) I have plenty of Flak of every caliber. My experience is that it is not worth putting large caliber Flak into the industrial centres, because I can't identify clear priorities of the AI's bombing. The main defence against these raids is the Luftwaffe, not the Flak. On the other hand it is most important to reinforce frontline troops and airfields and - especially in Western Europe - some key radar stations with light Flak. The AI keeps on boming a special selection of them regardless of losses (sometimes loosing 20-30 planes in one attack!). I think that mainly the small caliber Flak (20mm, 37mm) is responsible for the losses. And the small Flak is produced in large numbers, so no need to change production in the long run.

< Message edited by Peter Zimmermann -- 5/11/2017 3:01:33 PM >

(in reply to Soldmax)
Post #: 7
RE: Changing production of AFV/Artillery to AA - 5/10/2017 10:22:38 PM   
Soldmax

If you are playing the 44 game - you will loose anyway. There is a narrow way only with all "semi" cheating that you will win in July 44 before the Normandy breakthrough.
If not then in very late months (April/May/June '45) all what counts will be limited areas around Torino-Muenchen-Salzburg-Krems, nearby Hamburg and Dresden-Prag.
I never used the editor to "repair" the damaged sites yet - want to see if at all the game could be won with Go 229 appearing in 44... which is what I must get.
In terms of allied bombing - if you are playing defence right in 44 game there should not be fully successful raids at all after 130th turn - I think

< Message edited by Soldmax -- 5/10/2017 10:27:28 PM >

(in reply to Kursk1943)
Post #: 8
RE: Changing production of AFV/Artillery to AA - 5/11/2017 3:10:43 PM   
Kursk1943

I'm doing the 1943 campaign and I think the game will be soon over, because the AI's score is only 16 points and if the manual is still valid concerning victory conditions, then it's all over in June. I know that the 1944 game is much more difficult and frustrating for the Axis player. While you are able to leisurely produce and research your favourite planes and then bring the Allies to their knees with your advanced planes in the 43 scenario, you have to get along with the outdated Me 109G in the 44 game for a long time and have to change production and do research under relentless and staggering pressure...

(in reply to Soldmax)
Post #: 9
RE: Changing production of AFV/Artillery to AA - 5/13/2017 11:06:32 PM   
simovitch

Just so you know when the next build gets released with the new production UI, you will only have the ability to adjust the production of aircraft.

According the archival discussions between Harley and Hard Sarge, swapping out production of tanks, artillery, AA etc. was never intended, so Harley axed it.

simovitch

(in reply to Kursk1943)
Post #: 10
RE: Changing production of AFV/Artillery to AA - 5/14/2017 11:31:01 PM   
Soldmax

Why change (axe) something which is working? There is a lot of critical things. Why strafing missions attack 3-4 airfields in a row and keep engaging dogfight for hours as if they have unlimited ammo?

< Message edited by Soldmax -- 5/14/2017 11:56:34 PM >

(in reply to simovitch)
Post #: 11
RE: Changing production of AFV/Artillery to AA - 5/15/2017 1:51:33 AM   
simovitch

quote:

ORIGINAL: Soldmax

Why change (axe) something which is working? There is a lot of critical things. Why strafing missions attack 3-4 airfields in a row and keep engaging dogfight for hours as if they have unlimited ammo?

Actually I think he fixed that as well, and several other smaller issues but some of it has not been tested. We are trying to figure out where he left off with the code after he released a beta build back in 2010.

simovitch

(in reply to Soldmax)
Post #: 12
RE: Changing production of AFV/Artillery to AA - 5/15/2017 2:30:38 AM   
warshipbuilder

Yes the strafing issue was addressed. As for the production issues, how much micromanagement do you want? Let's say you can change tank and artillery production to AA. Think of the larger issue, your ground forces are now using slingshots to stop T-34's. It is an air war game and the focus has to remain there.

warshipbuilder

Any ship can be a minesweeper, once.
ED/BTR Ressurection Project
https://www.bombercommandmuseumarchives.ca/

(in reply to simovitch)
Post #: 13
RE: Changing production of AFV/Artillery to AA - 5/15/2017 8:46:51 PM   
Soldmax

OK - slingshots... my T-34 are happy. Then can we reassign 128mm Flak in the new patch?

(in reply to warshipbuilder)
Post #: 14
RE: Changing production of AFV/Artillery to AA - 5/16/2017 4:00:46 AM   
simovitch

It had something to do with the AI not coded to change out artillery, AA etc. so it was considered gamey to let the human player do it. Like warshipbuilder says, its an air game.

simovitch

(in reply to Soldmax)
Post #: 15
RE: Changing production of AFV/Artillery to AA - 5/17/2017 6:19:45 PM   
Soldmax

What about 128cm Flak40? I see them piling up in the stock through the editor without the ability to put them into service.

(in reply to simovitch)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich >> Changing production of AFV/Artillery to AA Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI