Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Starfall Corrected

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> Starfall Corrected Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Starfall Corrected - 5/15/2017 11:53:20 AM   
Sabranan

This is something that I occasionally thought about doing but never really got around to. Since the Starfall mod doesn't work with Universe and the author has declared that he doesn't intend updating it further (and hasn't logged in for more than a year) I decided to use my modding tool to get it into a state that actually loads.

I haven't extensively tested it, but it does load and lets you start a new game.

I also haven't made any changes to the mod other than what was required to get it loading in DW and correcting some typos, so I don't know what the balance is like or anything. Still, should be fun for fans of the old mod!

You can download it here.

Edit: Original thread

< Message edited by Sabranan -- 10/8/2017 10:40:01 PM >

Post #: 1
RE: Starfall Corrected - 5/15/2017 12:55:04 PM   
RogerBacon

Good job!

(in reply to Sabranan)
Post #: 2
RE: Starfall Corrected - 5/15/2017 11:23:30 PM   
Capshades

Wooooo, thank you!

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 3
RE: Starfall Corrected - 5/18/2017 1:04:19 AM   
Hattori Hanzo

a very good thing !!!!!

(in reply to Capshades)
Post #: 4
RE: Starfall Corrected - 5/18/2017 6:44:09 AM   
Bingeling

Maybe link the original thread in the first post?

(in reply to Hattori Hanzo)
Post #: 5
RE: Starfall Corrected - 5/18/2017 8:43:28 AM   
Sabranan

Good idea Bingeling, done now.

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 6
RE: Starfall Corrected - 5/18/2017 3:12:48 PM   
Hattori Hanzo

I added the Sabranan corrected version link also to the original "Stafall" thread

(in reply to Sabranan)
Post #: 7
RE: Starfall Corrected - 5/31/2017 9:26:26 PM   
Beyondfubar

This mod is just amazing, thank you Sabranan for resurrecting it. On that note does anyone know what the top of the high tech tree three techs deep and on is for? Seems to not have anything in it ( I am a noob to distant worlds I am not sure if I got a bad download, missed something or if it really is useless)

(in reply to Hattori Hanzo)
Post #: 8
RE: Starfall Corrected - 6/10/2017 7:47:50 PM   
Sabranan

I've just found a problem thanks to your comment Beyondfubar, some of the original Starfall research entries used multiple component improvement lines, something my modding tool didn't know what to do with and only ended up using one of them.

I've since updated my modding tool to handle that and pushed a new version of the Starfall Corrected mod implementing it, so anyone playing it at the moment should re-download from the link in the OP.

As for the tech (I think you're referring to "Enhanced Holograms") you're quite right, the component improvement for the Fleet Countermeasures system doesn't actually appear to do anything. In the original Starfall mod, it had a value 2 of 20, but that's an unused value for Fleet Countermeasures in Universe. Maybe it used to do something in an older version of DW?

With the updated version, it does also add a ShadowGhost ECM improvement so at least that's something.

(in reply to Beyondfubar)
Post #: 9
RE: Starfall Corrected - 6/10/2017 8:08:39 PM   
Retreat1970

Just curious, if the latest starfall update (1.12) was on 2-17-2016, and the last universe patch was 5-18-2015, why doesn't it work? Are you running starfall 1.12? I could swear I played it but it's been awhile so maybe I'm mistaken.

(in reply to Sabranan)
Post #: 10
RE: Starfall Corrected - 6/10/2017 8:28:27 PM   
Sabranan

Yeah it's 1.12, but the original version has the research records (among other things) out of order and the game won't start up if that's the case.

As for why it was released like that, maybe the author still intended it to be played with a version of DW prior to Universe? That's the only reason I can think of for releasing a version that's broken in Universe.

(in reply to Retreat1970)
Post #: 11
RE: Starfall Corrected - 6/11/2017 4:55:53 PM   
fierceking

I'm the original maker of Starfall.

The sequence of tech numbers are designed for a purpose. The numbers don't have to be in sequence for any mod to work. I've explained this 2 years ago in the Starfall thread. The game doesn't care about the sequence of numbers.

I did it this way because it made it easier to modify and keep track of groups of techs together since I never had a tool like yours to work with. Since I kept on adding new components and techs at different times it would have been a real pain to scroll up and down checking each tech and comparing their stats. Checking which parent tech belonged to what child tech and so on.

Grouping tech together made modding easier for me. The game handles it fine w/o crashes. This goes for the component.txt. It does not need to be in sequence.

Also this mod was made for Universe not the other older versions of DW. It needs 1.12 because that update increases the cap on components. Without that update this mod will not load since it added a lot new compononts

(in reply to Sabranan)
Post #: 12
RE: Starfall Corrected - 6/12/2017 5:15:43 AM   
Sabranan

Well that certainly answers the seeming contradiction Retreat brought up so thanks for clarifying that.

And trying it, your original Starfall 1.12 now loads... Which is weird, because I swear once upon a time it crashed with a message about the research or components file having non-sequential records. I'm sure there hasn't been a DW update since then so I'm at a bit of a loss to explain that lol!

If I'd known it just loaded I probably wouldn't have bothered running it through my tool, but I'll leave the changed version up all the same since it fixes some minor issues.

(in reply to fierceking)
Post #: 13
RE: Starfall Corrected - 6/18/2017 7:25:47 PM   
Sabranan

New update to this since the last version had broken fleet countermeasures/targeting systems.

(in reply to Sabranan)
Post #: 14
RE: Starfall Corrected - 8/4/2017 12:48:51 PM   
Hanekem

little heads up, the tech Advanced Colonization is EMPTY, not sure if this is a starfall thing or what, but figured I'd let you know

(in reply to Sabranan)
Post #: 15
RE: Starfall Corrected - 8/4/2017 8:37:06 PM   
Sabranan

Yeah it was that way in the original 1.12 (and 1.10) as well, so it's literally just a required step for getting Magma Harnessing or Hive Colonies. I don't know whether that was intended or not but it's not a consequence of running it through data validation.

(in reply to Hanekem)
Post #: 16
RE: Starfall Corrected - 10/6/2017 2:02:16 AM   
syntaXerroR

I d/l'd this yesterday and there seems to be a problem with the ecm/eccm and researches/modules. Did another update (since the last ecm update fix) break this again?

(in reply to Sabranan)
Post #: 17
RE: Starfall Corrected - 10/7/2017 4:28:27 PM   
Sabranan

I'll likely need some more detail here... What is the problem exactly?

(in reply to syntaXerroR)
Post #: 18
RE: Starfall Corrected - 10/8/2017 10:00:56 PM   
syntaXerroR

All the various targeting and ecm modules in the research tree give bonuses to targeting and ecm. Depending on the research path you choose you get something like +30% to targetting and +20% to ecm. The problem are with the fleet versions as they currently all read +0% and the actual module also reflect this after unlocking them.

< Message edited by syntaXerroR -- 10/8/2017 10:01:37 PM >

(in reply to Sabranan)
Post #: 19
RE: Starfall Corrected - 10/8/2017 10:33:05 PM   
Sabranan

Ok, I've just had a look at the version I'm using and I can't see any +0%, so I'm not sure what's going on there. In any case I've recompiled it and updated the zip.

It'll likely take about 10 mins from the time of this post to synchronise with Google Drive, I'll edit this message once it's done and you can redownload it.

Post #: 20
RE: Starfall Corrected - 10/8/2017 10:41:38 PM   
Sabranan

Ah, actually I think I've just spotted the problem. The link in the OP is pointing to an old version of the file, it seems that each time I update it I'll also have to generate a new link.

I've updated the link in the OP so you should be able to get the latest version now.

(in reply to Sabranan)
Post #: 21
RE: Starfall Corrected - 10/9/2017 12:49:18 AM   
syntaXerroR

Sweet, thanks. I give it a try tonight.

(in reply to Sabranan)
Post #: 22
RE: Starfall Corrected - 10/13/2017 10:58:52 AM   
BTAxis

This mod has some issues when played with the Bacon Mod exe (v 1.45). Sooner or later it begins to complain about missing images like so:

This does not happen with the original exe and also does not happen with any other mod in combination with Bacon as far as I can tell. Possibly it has to do with the AI designing ships.

Post #: 23
RE: Starfall Corrected - 10/13/2017 1:10:13 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

ORIGINAL: BTAxis

This mod has some issues when played with the Bacon Mod exe (v 1.45). Sooner or later it begins to complain about missing images like so:

This does not happen with the original exe and also does not happen with any other mod in combination with Bacon as far as I can tell. Possibly it has to do with the AI designing ships.

Interesting.
First, check if that image for that ship and that family really is in the directory.
Second, have you added extra images for a ship type for a family? If so, they must be numbered consecutively. So after MediumSpacePort you would have to have MediumSpacePort1 before MediumSpacePort2.
Thirdly, did you add or remove pictures between saves of your game? Changing the total numer of images will break a save game. It's the only thing in the Bacon mod that breaks saved games. Usually you will notice right away as all the images will be shifted up or down by the number of images added/removed and you will wonder why your explorer suddenly has the image of a freighter or something like that.
I haven't played the starfall corrected mod but I have it downloaded. It looks like in only has ship images for families 27 and up so family 1 should still be your stock images because the Bacon Mod doesn't add any on its own.

(in reply to BTAxis)
Post #: 24
RE: Starfall Corrected - 10/13/2017 1:20:53 PM   
Sabranan

I was going to say I haven't touched the images folder, it's identical to the original Starfall and it never had family1 images.

Assuming that BTAxis hasn't changed anything to do with ship images I wonder if maybe the Bacon changes are having some issue when a mod is missing ship images and has to fallback to stock?

If that is the case, it should be easy enough to fix just by copying the ship stock images into the mod folder, just don't include family 6 because Starfall already has that folder.

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 25
RE: Starfall Corrected - 10/13/2017 1:43:11 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sabranan

I was going to say I haven't touched the images folder, it's identical to the original Starfall and it never had family1 images.

Assuming that BTAxis hasn't changed anything to do with ship images I wonder if maybe the Bacon changes are having some issue when a mod is missing ship images and has to fallback to stock?

If that is the case, it should be easy enough to fix just by copying the ship stock images into the mod folder, just don't include family 6 because Starfall already has that folder.

Yes, I can confirm this. I just copied the missing families of ships into the mod and it works fine.

(in reply to Sabranan)
Post #: 26
RE: Starfall Corrected - 10/13/2017 1:55:15 PM   
BTAxis

Okay, cool. I will do just that then.

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 27
RE: Starfall Corrected - 10/13/2017 6:45:35 PM   
BTAxis

Unfortunately, the errors persist even though I copied over the stock families. It can take a while for the errors to start though - the first one in my current game showed up in 2107.

In other news, I added bomber bays to this mod to take advantage of the bomber bay functionality of Bacon Mod. I followed Bacon World's example and tripled bomber damage, I'm not sure how that plays with the balance in Starfall.
Terraforming facility also updated.

Files here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwFEpvd3AQ4PQm5VT2Z2SVZhTm8

(in reply to BTAxis)
Post #: 28
RE: Starfall Corrected - 10/13/2017 8:05:34 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

ORIGINAL: BTAxis

Unfortunately, the errors persist even though I copied over the stock families. It can take a while for the errors to start though - the first one in my current game showed up in 2107.

Unfortunately, from my experience, adding these images won't help saved games. You might want to start a new game (without losing your existing one) to test it out. If the errors are gone in the new one then it will probably be worth starting fresh.
quote:

In other news, I added bomber bays to this mod to take advantage of the bomber bay functionality of Bacon Mod. I followed Bacon World's example and tripled bomber damage, I'm not sure how that plays with the balance in Starfall.
Terraforming facility also updated.

Files here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwFEpvd3AQ4PQm5VT2Z2SVZhTm8

Thanks for the files. That will help people who aren't good at merging things.

(in reply to BTAxis)
Post #: 29
RE: Starfall Corrected - 10/13/2017 10:24:28 PM   
BTAxis

quote:

ORIGINAL: RogerBacon
Unfortunately, from my experience, adding these images won't help saved games. You might want to start a new game (without losing your existing one) to test it out. If the errors are gone in the new one then it will probably be worth starting fresh.

That's what I did, due to the bomber bay edits. That doesn't work on existing saves either (the bays show up but trying to add them causes issues). So this behavior exhibits on a new game too.

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> Starfall Corrected Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI