Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Parliament play so far

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> English Civil War >> Parliament play so far Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Parliament play so far - 5/13/2017 2:41:11 PM   
Vadrus

Hey all

Enjoying the new game greatly but I do have some questions.

As parliament I had a good initial turn, I gained all of my "declaration" event attempts and forced marched to capture and hold Bristol within a couple of turns. I also managed to park Essex in Oxford and hold it early on so I thought I was in a strong position to build my forces for the next stage of pushing the Royalists back from the less than historical territory they had gained.

I'm now in April 44 and I have yet to accumulate enough war supplies to even buy one replacement unit or one new unit, I seem to be permanently in a negative or very briefly in a positive.

So how does one gain more war supply? (Ive gained some in battles but it doesn't seem close to enough to replace what I'm losing in same battles, even when they are heavily in my favour). Currently I've been at -4 war supply for the entire winter of 43 early 44. It says I earn 8, lose 4 but somehow it stays at -4 all the time????

Money is also a huge problem, I never have even close to enough and I have all these lovely force pools that I've not even touched yet, how do you (other players) manage to afford them? I have gone 1.5 years so far without a banking event. I had one early in the game and none since. Also seems to be no way to swap EPs for WS as there has been in other games. As a result of the lack of funds I have yet to form a group, I simply can't afford it or if I do the next turn I dont pay half my army.

Is this all WAD or do I have a bug of some kind?

Thanks

Post #: 1
RE: Parliament play so far - 5/13/2017 3:05:16 PM   
mkeogh76

It's no easier on the Royalist side. The game is very stingy in doling-out war supplies which practically halts the ability to recruit new units or buy replacement chits.

I'm playing the Royalists. It's 1644 and I'm lucky if I'm able to purchase one replacement chit per turn. I have money, but no war supplies. Since every replacement chit requires 4-6 war supplies, my ability to recruit and buy replacements is utterly dependent upon either the minuscule amount of war supplies provided by cities or battlefield captures or the "gather arms" decision that pops-up maybe once a year and provides a mere 30 war supplies. "Money, money, everywhere; Nor any war supplies to spend."

It'd be nice if there was a decision in which one could purchase additional war supplies for cash. It'd be a good way to avoid the silliness of having hundreds of pounds but no way to spend them which unfortunately is the current situation of the game.

Also, I've noticed that even I did have a steady supply of war supplies I still couldn't do any recruiting because the recruitment areas are so limited. It appears that if the Royalists don't control Oxford or Pembroke then they can't recruit anything.

I've enjoyed my campaign, but this game's lack of polish and some really head-scratching design decisions have unfortunately detracted from that enjoyment.

(in reply to Vadrus)
Post #: 2
RE: Parliament play so far - 5/14/2017 1:54:27 PM   
lerugray

I almost think it's impossible to really play as the royalists given halfway through there's almost no way to get any WS, one RP chit per turn really doesn't help much haha.

(in reply to mkeogh76)
Post #: 3
RE: Parliament play so far - 5/15/2017 7:37:09 AM   
Leibst

Could you give a saved game please? If not here in Ageod's site.

Designer of AGEOD & HQ English Civil War, Thirty Years War and España:1936
Designer of Battles For Spain and Libertad o Muerte!
https://hqwargames.com

(in reply to lerugray)
Post #: 4
RE: Parliament play so far - 5/15/2017 7:54:45 AM   
Ebbingford

IIRC there are also the Break blockade RGDs that give WS.
You also need to take Oxford. There is an option that then constructs war industries in the town that give extra WS.

(in reply to Leibst)
Post #: 5
RE: Parliament play so far - 5/15/2017 5:09:41 PM   
xj900uk

Huh? I've held Oxford as Parliament for a good few months now and there's been no option to construct war industries there. I've built up the supply depot but that's all.

(in reply to Ebbingford)
Post #: 6
RE: Parliament play so far - 5/15/2017 5:14:08 PM   
Ebbingford

The Oxford industries option is only available to the Royalists.

(in reply to xj900uk)
Post #: 7
RE: Parliament play so far - 5/15/2017 7:46:37 PM   
mawksmonster

Turn off auto buy replacements!!! As soon as you do this you will start to net WS each turn and can train new units.

(in reply to Ebbingford)
Post #: 8
RE: Parliament play so far - 5/15/2017 8:18:54 PM   
xj900uk

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ebbingford

The Oxford industries option is only available to the Royalists.

OK fair enough. Is there a Parliament equivalent, say to build up London & a few other places as industrial centres?

BTW it is virtually impossible for the Royalist army to take Oxford - All Essex has to do is move his army there and just set up shop.

< Message edited by xj900uk -- 5/15/2017 8:53:14 PM >

(in reply to Ebbingford)
Post #: 9
RE: Parliament play so far - 5/16/2017 8:20:44 PM   
DEB

The problem with Essex holding Oxford is that the King should then be able to enter London unhindered. The ownership of London is ( or should be ) everyone's goal in this game. Parliament sits in ( and rules from ) London...

[ NB : The special rule re the Royalists at Oxford, should also apply to Parliament at London. ]

(in reply to xj900uk)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> English Civil War >> Parliament play so far Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI