Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent Page: <<   < prev  348 349 [350] 351 352   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/18/2017 7:57:09 PM   
Panther Bait

Is the Amoy-to-Foochow region close enough to Formosa to realistically sweep with Spitfire VIII's, assuming that they can stage there through Luzon or Indochina/China?

I don't know what the Spit pools look like, but from other AARs, I think they are stout enough to hold their own against the late-war Japanese fighters. I don't think they get much use that way normally due to a lack of range.

If you could get the RAF on the front lines, that might take some pressure off your T-bolt squadrons.

Mike

When you shoot at a destroyer and miss, it's like hit'in a wildcat in the ass with a banjo.

Nathan Dogan, USS Gurnard

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 10471
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/18/2017 8:10:41 PM   
DRF99

I was actually wondering that now that the Burma Road is open, were Chinese units fleshing out and building up? Chinese corps can be real beasts after they've been training for a few years and have their full TOE.

I assume you only turn on replacements for a few key units at a time. Which ones do you prioritize?

DRF

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 10472
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/18/2017 8:44:58 PM   
JohnDillworth

quote:

I was actually wondering that now that the Burma Road is open, were Chinese units fleshing out and building up?
I agree, massive amounts of supply to Rangoon will lead to the Chinese units upgrading to 1943 infantry. game over

< Message edited by JohnDillworth -- 5/18/2017 9:52:05 PM >

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to DRF99)
Post #: 10473
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/18/2017 8:51:47 PM   
paullus99

I don't believe John's ever had to face late-war Chinese infantry....if not, he's in for a very big surprise.

I like to think of this as the "Hammer & Anvil" portion of the campaign.

Never Underestimate the Power of a Small Tactical Nuclear Weapon...

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 10474
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/18/2017 9:54:20 PM   
JohnDillworth

quote:

I don't believe John's ever had to face late-war Chinese infantry....if not, he's in for a very big surprise
I asked this a while back and CR said some supply was getting to Rangoon but not massive amounts. Not sure if Port Blair LBA is the issue or it is a lack of ships. Once the supply gets to Rangoon you need to set up a string of HQ units to pull it forward. Takes a bit but it is unstoppable once it gets going

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to paullus99)
Post #: 10475
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/18/2017 10:21:41 PM   
anarchyintheuk

Haven't seen that area of the map in a while but I'm pretty sure that the supply draw route through Lashio is open.

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 10476
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/18/2017 11:02:59 PM   
Canoerebel

There's a map a turn or two back (a page or two back). I'll post another tonight.

Ships are just beginning to reach Rangoon and unload supply in moderate amounts. The supply is working it's way forward into Thailand/Indochina and laterally into China. Already, bases in China are fully supplied that have never been supplied. At least two Chinese divisions have upgraded to '43 squads.

But we're just beginning. I've unloaded perhaps 30k supply at Rangoon over the last week. I don't have a lot of ships, and I have even fewer combat ships. John is going to strike here, so I'm keeping the TFs small to avoid too many eggs in a single basket.

But things are off to a promising start.

(in reply to anarchyintheuk)
Post #: 10477
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/18/2017 11:11:58 PM   
Canoerebel

7/29/44

The Burma Road: See map for details.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 10478
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/18/2017 11:57:33 PM   
Lokasenna

The road is only open if you control the hex sides to the road west of Lashio - do you? I notice IJA units there, but maybe they don't control the hex sides that the road passes through.

You are also very close to opening up a grey road route through Indochina... we know Vinh is weak, because you took it a while back, so forts there can't be all that high if any at all. Once you take Vinh, Hanoi, Lang Son, Nanning, and Liuchow... the hose turns on.

It's not a firehose or anything, but it's at least a garden hose compared to the watering can you've had up until now.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 10479
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/19/2017 1:52:18 PM   
Canoerebel

7/29/44

Burma Road: See map for details.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 10480
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/19/2017 1:56:31 PM   
Canoerebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Panther Bait

Is the Amoy-to-Foochow region close enough to Formosa to realistically sweep with Spitfire VIII's, assuming that they can stage there through Luzon or Indochina/China?

I don't know what the Spit pools look like, but from other AARs, I think they are stout enough to hold their own against the late-war Japanese fighters. I don't think they get much use that way normally due to a lack of range.

If you could get the RAF on the front lines, that might take some pressure off your T-bolt squadrons.

Mike

Foochow is easily within range of Spit VIIIs. Aparri is within extended range.

I'm using Spit VIIIs, British Thunderbolts, and Commonwealth Corsairs as part of the mix in the sweeps against Formosa. The VIIIs are doing "okay," but the extended range isn't advantageous for them. So I'll stand them down until I can use them from Foochow.

To this point, P-47D2s and P-47D25s haven't been doing all that well in sweep role (the latter is a real surprise). Oddly, the Mustangs and Lightnings have performed well. The Corsairs always do fine, but aren't present in huge numbers.

We're still in the early stages of the Formosa sweep campaign. It's too early to say definitively who's winning, but I'm encouraged. Part of that optimism is knowing that Foochow will be added to the mix of close-in airfield, and that I can bomb and bombard to help.

(in reply to Panther Bait)
Post #: 10481
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/19/2017 2:13:40 PM   
Lowpe

i believe the dirt road to Lashio also keeps the Burma Road open for the 500 supplies. You only need Rangoon and Tsuywhatever and a rail/road hexside path between the two. Well, a few other things...partisan attacks at Rangoon can close it I recall (or is it just insufficient garrison?). Alfred has a wonderful clarification on it...search for Burma Road and Alfred and you will find it right away.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 10482
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/19/2017 2:28:39 PM   
MakeeLearn

looks like the Japanese are in for a Burma Shave...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 10483
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/19/2017 2:37:42 PM   
Smoky Stoker

I am old enough to remember some of the original multiboard BurmaShave roadside ads:

Within this vale...

Of toil and sin..

Your head grows bald...

But not your chin.

BurmaShave!

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 10484
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/19/2017 6:18:03 PM   
GetAssista

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna
The road is only open if you control the hex sides to the road west of Lashio - do you? I notice IJA units there, but maybe they don't control the hex sides that the road passes through.

Checking Tsuyung base screen is always the definitive test. If it says that Burma road is open (in the left down corner), then it is

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 10485
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/19/2017 6:45:59 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: GetAssista

quote:

Checking Tsuyung base screen is always the definitive test. If it says that Burma road is open (in the left down corner), then it is

Isn't it also reported in the Rangoon interface?

Hans

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 10486
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/19/2017 8:08:10 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: anarchyintheuk

Haven't seen that area of the map in a while but I'm pretty sure that the supply draw route through Lashio is open.

Not open for the 500 bonus supply to China every day, but normal supply will bypass the roadblock to some extent.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to anarchyintheuk)
Post #: 10487
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/19/2017 8:11:13 PM   
Bearcat2

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: GetAssista

quote:

Isn't it also reported in the Rangoon interface?

Yes

"After eight years as President I have only two regrets: that I have not shot Henry Clay or hanged John C. Calhoun."--1837

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 10488
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/19/2017 10:28:18 PM   
Crackaces

Take a look at the terrain from Nanning through Hong Kong to Foochow .. with the hexes around Foochow as defensible terrain if started earlier ..probably too late now ..
Once Canoerebel establishes his "Normandy" like beachhead (Good terrain around the beachhead) I suspect he will run Allied armor through these hexes ..

In my 3rd game I used 4E's and 2E's to discourage the IJ from the open terrain but in CR's game I suspect Allied armor will be enough ...

(in reply to Bearcat2)
Post #: 10489
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/20/2017 1:27:29 PM   
Canoerebel

7/30/44

Intelligence Screen: The Japanese lead is down to 47 points; that should flip in a day or two or three.

I'm doing well in the points for bases category and there is much promise for starting to harvest strategic points not too long from now.

The air war and the war at sea are stubbornly tight, though I have leads in both categories.

John holds a sizeable lead for Army Loss points; I'm making progress there. I doubt it'll ever close to a 1:1 ratio, but I'm hoping to close it to perhaps 1:1.5

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 5/20/2017 1:28:36 PM >

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 10490
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/20/2017 1:51:52 PM   
Canoerebel

7/30/44

SEAC: There's a lot of movement in SEAC and a lot of territory to be taken. Both sides seem to have a fairly small number of units committed.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 10491
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/20/2017 1:56:36 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

Not open for the 500 bonus supply to China every day, but normal supply will bypass the roadblock to some extent.

What makes you say this? I believe it is open for the 500 supply...& CR picture above confirms.

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 5/20/2017 1:57:15 PM >

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 10492
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/20/2017 2:01:27 PM   
Canoerebel

7/30/44

Peep Show Ground Campaign: 2,700 AV ashore, most heading west and some heading north. Objectives: seize the "high ground" (good defensive terrain) and take Tsinkiang and Amoy. Depending on how that goes, and John's response, I may move on Swatow.

There are very limited circumstances in which John could initiate a counterattack to take Foochow, but he's going to have a hard time. First there's the matter of getting there. Then there's the matter of Allied air power. Then there's the matter of prep (and if John works on that, I'll get SigInt).

If he puts together a counteroffensive, that might be the most counterproductive thing he could do.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 10493
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/20/2017 2:14:19 PM   
Canoerebel

7/30/44

Peep Show: Overall, modest progress today in the air campaign vs. Formosa. The bombardment mission goes in as scheduled at Kagi, but doesn't do much damage. Follow-up B-24J raid gives small return. And fighter sweep in moderate numbers results in roughly even casualties over Takao.

I'm holding back a fair number of fighter squadrons, planning to ramp things up as soon as the Allied combat fleet can bombard Takao in strength. That'll be as Death Star retires to Manila, perhaps two or three days from now.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 10494
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/20/2017 3:57:20 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

quote:

quote:

What makes you say this? I believe it is open for the 500 supply...& CR picture above confirms.

It depends on who controls the road hex sides outside Lashio, I think.

Edit - I missed that screenshot. I see it now. Yes, it should be open.

< Message edited by Lokasenna -- 5/20/2017 3:58:07 PM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 10495
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/20/2017 4:06:01 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

quote:

quote:

It depends on who controls the road hex sides outside Lashio, I think.

Edit - I missed that screenshot. I see it now. Yes, it should be open.

Lashio is not critical...if the road/rail is open from Rangoon to Myitkyina to Tsuyung (sic)I believe.

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 5/20/2017 4:07:56 PM >

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 10496
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/20/2017 6:00:30 PM   
Canoerebel

7/31/44

Peep Show: Tough fighting today, with both sides swapping punches; but overall some progress made.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 10497
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/20/2017 6:04:23 PM   
Canoerebel

7/31/44

Intelligence Screen: The Japanese lead down to 18 measly points...but preserved for at least this day by tough fighting in and around Formosa.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 10498
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/20/2017 6:14:24 PM   
Canoerebel

7/31/44

Air War: Looking beneath the hood at today's air war numbers.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 10499
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/20/2017 6:19:58 PM   
Canoerebel

7/31/44

Sub Wars: Tough days for the Allies. John's good TFs keep running right over my subs in the DEI, with no satisfying opportunities to shoot. But enemy ASW chews up my subs. I lost one today with two more heavily damaged.

I understood this to be a fairly well-known aspect of the game. I think reading Bullwinkle's comments were the most instructive, as he really loves this aspect of the game and works it hard.

It almost seems hopeless to employ the Allied subs against any enemy TF that includes air or sea ASW. I've considered pulling nearly everything out, grouping them at Manila, and then flooding a zone if and when KB should approach. But I'll try for a few more turns...trying, trying, trying to vector subs into KB's paths.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 5/20/2017 6:21:47 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 10500
Page:   <<   < prev  348 349 [350] 351 352   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent Page: <<   < prev  348 349 [350] 351 352   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI