Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Worth getting?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich >> Worth getting? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Worth getting? - 5/8/2017 8:42:08 AM   
slipper

Hi all

a bit late to the party granted , but was wondering if this game is worth getting as i already own the old TOH_BTR and BOB titles? Are there any significant improvements over the original two games?

Also my main interest is in RAF Bomber Command and the Nachtjagd, especially the complex radar/nav aids/ECM etc battle between them. Has the game seen any improvement in these areas.

Lastly, the old BTR had some unofficial patches, up to 1.06 i believe, does this have anything similar, or is the game open to modding.

cheers for any info

slipper
Post #: 1
RE: Worth getting? - 5/8/2017 9:02:31 AM   
Odin

Sorry you have to wait for the experts to answer your question.

But i have a question to you:

Are you able to run the old ones on Windows 8.1 oder 10?

Thanks

(in reply to slipper)
Post #: 2
RE: Worth getting? - 5/18/2017 11:37:00 AM   
slipper

by the volume of answers to my question, i'm guessing the answer to my question is.... No its not worth buying the new game. Not one post in support of it

Odin, sorry mate i can't answer your question i have Win7, BOB and BtR work fine with that operating system.

cheers

slipper

(in reply to Odin)
Post #: 3
RE: Worth getting? - 5/18/2017 5:58:33 PM   
Kursk1943

Your question was if it is worth getting the new edition as you already have the old versions. I never played BOB, only BTR, the old version. The old version didn't work on my laptop so I bought the new version, didn' t care about those few bucks. I don't see much difference between the versions The main step forward for me was the Alter Ego mod with the editor and the ability to highlight active axis airfields during the combat resolution phase (as axis player) and the possibility to fix the screen where you like instead of jumping to every minor action by itself. I also like the Focke Wulf Mod v115 with the early introduction of the Fw 190D and the appearance of the B29 in the European theater. But without these patches and mods - I can't identify much difference. But I only restarted this game a few months ago after quitting to play it for at least 10 years.

(in reply to slipper)
Post #: 4
RE: Worth getting? - 5/18/2017 7:02:22 PM   
slipper

Peter

Thanks for replying, that's some information to go on. Where can i find the mods you mentioned please? I looked under scenarios and modding. Has any attempt been made to mod conditions for night bombing or interception as far as you know.

thanks again

slipper

(in reply to Kursk1943)
Post #: 5
RE: Worth getting? - 5/18/2017 8:16:29 PM   
Kursk1943

You will find the Focke Wulf Mod in scenarios and modding, but don't forget to set "Display topics from last:" to "all topics". Mine was set to 365 days, so I didn't see the older ones The Focke Wulf mod is from 1/15/2016. Very helpful is the topic: Returning player..." on page two of the category were you posted your topic. Here you will get information what you need to be updated. As far as I know the night bombing was not improved, but I may err.

< Message edited by Peter Zimmermann -- 5/18/2017 8:18:22 PM >

(in reply to slipper)
Post #: 6
RE: Worth getting? - 5/18/2017 8:43:35 PM   
slipper

Thanks Peter again..

"Display all topics " was set to 365 days, found everything i need now. Thanks for your help

slipper

(in reply to Kursk1943)
Post #: 7
RE: Worth getting? - 5/19/2017 12:16:44 PM   
simovitch

I too never played the older versions so for me, answering a question like "is it worth getting?" was difficult to do either subjectively and objectively.
From what I've read in the dev forums a lot of work went into the ECM aspects but there were still a few possible issues.

< Message edited by simovitch -- 5/19/2017 12:19:39 PM >

simovitch

(in reply to slipper)
Post #: 8
RE: Worth getting? - 5/20/2017 6:29:00 PM   
slipper

Thanks simovitch

been looking around but cant find a lot on radar and ECM

regards

slipper

(in reply to simovitch)
Post #: 9
RE: Worth getting? - 7/21/2017 3:11:22 AM   
kaybayray

Slipper <S> Sir!

I run both the original and the Matrix edition of this fantastic game. IMHO it is purely a matter of personal choice as to whether the Matrix version is “Worth getting”. However I have been playing both for many years and there are a few actual reasons you might consider obtaining the Matrix rebuild. Bare in mind that I exclusively run the Allies, for my own personal reasons so my views are from that distinct perspective.
The “Dover Dash” of your P-38’s in the MTO for the Allies has been fixed by the Matrix version. This is where your P-38 FG’s at some point in their mission in the MTO turn Northward and fly to Dover then return to the MTO. Flying over numerous Flak concentrations along the way. Both very costly and extremely frustrating. Tremendous thanks to the Matrix crew for killing this beast!....

In the original game for the Allies you only have 2 waypoints to the target and 2 waypoints on your return from the target. This makes it extremely challenging to avoid Flak concentrations while navigating to and from your targets. In the Matrix version you have 4 waypoints to the target and 4 waypoints from the target. This is quite adequate to avoid Flak and hit your targets. In the original game this elicited thoughts in my mind of wishing for 5 minutes alone in a room with a big stick and the Developer of the original game that determined this feature was acceptable for release. Again many Thanks to the Matrix crew for making this Trivial change that has extremely profound effects to this fantastic game.

Another feature of the Matrix version is the Electronic Warfare features actually work. EW features like FuG, Serrate and AI Mk XX on the various Night Fighters actually get many locks, engage and both the Allies and Luftwaffe get kills. This IMHO adds significant enhancements to this game. Yes I actually like it when I get my buns handed to me by Luftwaffe Night fighters because it forces me to adapt, innovate and overcome. I find it very exhilarating to watch them interact in my Night Bombing and Intruder operations. With the various Allied radar interdiction EW platforms I can actually shut down regions of both Freya and Mammut radar on my Night operations and my RCM AC are much more effective at seducing Luftwaffe Night Fighters away from my actual Bomber streams. My Night Fighters are much more effecting at engaging various NJG squadrons. Again, <S> to the Matrix crew for this.

The Matrix version has tremendously improved the capabilities of the Allied Recon operations. In the original game you could only designate a Primary and a Secondary Recon target. The Matrix rebuild allows you to designate a Primary Recon target then by adjusting your RTB course very near other targets your Recon AC will attempt to Photo Recon up to about 3 or 4 targets they fly close enough to. This allows you, if intelligently utilized, to greatly reduce the number of Mission slots you use for operations allocated to Recon and freeing them up for other types of operations. Recall there is a hard limit of Missions of 200. So this little feature really opens up the possibilities. That is, IF, you realize the value of Recon. I really love this feature and this, IMHO, has really increased my enjoyment of this game. Thanks Matrix !!

Matrix has also really cleaned up and made significant corrections to the AC, Target and Weapons Data over the original release. I do disagree with a few of their changes, but those are really quite trivial. But an Editor can make easy work of that if you are so inclined.

The Matrix crew has also really improved the overall presentation of the game and many of the bugs associated with the look and feel of the game. Tremendous improvements and enhancements IMHO. Again <S> to the Matrix crew for their fine work.

So at the end of the day it still comes down to Personal Preference. Just because I say these features are significant does not mean you will agree with me. To you they may be Trivial or meaningless. Always keep in mind this important caveat, “Results May Vary”. What you value may not be what I value. So the Choice is Yours. Make it and I hope you enjoy your choice.

See You In The Sky!

It's all Mind Over Matter....
If you dont mind... It dont matter

(in reply to slipper)
Post #: 10
RE: Worth getting? - 7/23/2017 5:07:36 PM   
xj900uk

What is the current version of this game? I have the Matrix version (as well as the original, somewhere on CD) and it says it is 1.02. I find the BoB/Eagle Day version is very much biased in favour of the British, they regularly run up a score of 100+ kill-claims in a single day!

(in reply to kaybayray)
Post #: 11
RE: Worth getting? - 7/28/2017 11:20:15 PM   
kaybayray

xj900uk <S> Sir!

I am running V 1.02. I don't know if that is the latest version. There are tons of Mods available so I don't know what is what anymore. I am probably the only one playing Vanilla. Hey, but I am old and don't really give a care anymore. I just enjoy playing this game.

Semper Fi

KayBay

It's all Mind Over Matter....
If you dont mind... It dont matter

(in reply to xj900uk)
Post #: 12
RE: Worth getting? - 7/29/2017 12:09:55 AM   
warshipbuilder

V 1.02 is the latest official version. AE produced the 1.02.076SE version and Turner also made an interesting mod.

warshipbuilder

Any ship can be a minesweeper, once.
ED/BTR Ressurection Project
https://www.bombercommandmuseumarchives.ca/

(in reply to kaybayray)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich >> Worth getting? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI