Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

I'm Really Enjoying the New A/C Damage Option

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> I'm Really Enjoying the New A/C Damage Option Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
I'm Really Enjoying the New A/C Damage Option - 5/21/2017 3:04:41 AM   
DWReese

I'm really enjoying the new A/C damage option.

While I don't know enough as to the parameters as to its creation as of yet, it is really interesting to see it work. I have had numerous fighters be hit in a dog fight and head for home. On occasion, a fire is burning, and efforts are being made to extinguish it. On other occasions, one of the two engines are damaged or even destroyed and the plane has to fly much slower to make it back. When it lands you are advised how long the repairs will take, so that is very realistic, as well.

Overall, this is a really nice option.

Doug
Post #: 1
RE: I'm Really Enjoying the New A/C Damage Option - 5/21/2017 3:33:32 AM   
Rory Noonan

Yes, I agree. It really adds a huge layer of depth. Thanks again devs!

(in reply to DWReese)
Post #: 2
RE: I'm Really Enjoying the New A/C Damage Option - 5/21/2017 10:11:04 AM   
Gunner98

Fantastic feature - Playing through 'Armed Diplomacy', great scenario BTW and first encountered it when trying to shoot down a Chinese SH-5 Harbin. It was off screen as I had just been jumped by a bunch of Migs, heard the bang, thought OK that one is gone - NOT! It took 2 AMRAAMs, 2 Sidewinders and a couple gun shots to take that flying whale down, could almost see the crew fighting for their lives - great job.

B

(in reply to Rory Noonan)
Post #: 3
RE: I'm Really Enjoying the New A/C Damage Option - 5/21/2017 10:16:12 AM   
Phoenix100

How do you enable aircraft damage in older scenarios? Or is that not possible - does this have to be set up by the scenario designer? I get the box at scenario start, but the crossed out aircraft damage switch isn't clickable.

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 4
RE: I'm Really Enjoying the New A/C Damage Option - 5/21/2017 10:48:56 AM   
Dan109

you would have to enable it while in ScenarioEdit mode

(in reply to Phoenix100)
Post #: 5
RE: I'm Really Enjoying the New A/C Damage Option - 5/21/2017 10:54:36 AM   
Phoenix100

Got it. Thanks.

(in reply to Dan109)
Post #: 6
RE: I'm Really Enjoying the New A/C Damage Option - 5/21/2017 10:59:50 AM   
GBS

I have never tried to edit a scenario before but will try. This is a feature I would want in any scenario I play. Wish some kind sole would put together a "New features for dummies" that gives all the whats and hows.

(in reply to DWReese)
Post #: 7
RE: I'm Really Enjoying the New A/C Damage Option - 5/21/2017 11:39:02 AM   
Phoenix100

Beware, maybe. I just tried to edit 'English Jets over Uganda' to allow the new A/C damage feature. In the process, you get warned that if you're switching this on for older scenarios you need to do a 'deep rebuild' of the scenario first. So I did that, selected the prompt for the ini file and, when prompted after the DB rebuild, directed the dialogue to the provided config file for this scenario. Got the message all ok, switched on damage and started playing. Found that the DB images were now messed up in som cases. I assume something about the update to latest DB process messed up the images. Recopied all my images over, but this didn't affect the issue. The issue is for the rebuilt scenario only. ie the images are not messed up (wrong images for certain planes, for example) when I open a different scenario and look in the DB. So, the rebuild process required to switch on damage, for much older scenarios, might have unintended consequences. That's my guess, anyway.

UPDATE: Having loked further at this, I think it's just a fault affecting some older scenarios, inherent to them, somehow. I too think the A/c damage model is really great. Much more immersive.

< Message edited by phoenix -- 5/21/2017 2:21:56 PM >

(in reply to GBS)
Post #: 8
RE: I'm Really Enjoying the New A/C Damage Option - 5/21/2017 3:43:16 PM   
Primarchx

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gunner98

Fantastic feature - Playing through 'Armed Diplomacy', great scenario BTW and first encountered it when trying to shoot down a Chinese SH-5 Harbin. It was off screen as I had just been jumped by a bunch of Migs, heard the bang, thought OK that one is gone - NOT! It took 2 AMRAAMs, 2 Sidewinders and a couple gun shots to take that flying whale down, could almost see the crew fighting for their lives - great job.

B

Playing the same scen, Gunner. I had to make gun runs on the Harbin as well. The whole shooting match was started by some PLAAF jumping an EP-3 Aries (sound familiar?) in the Taiwan Strait. The Ares was able to dive to the deck after 'evading' two other AAMs and limp home on two engines. Very cool!

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 9
RE: I'm Really Enjoying the New A/C Damage Option - 5/21/2017 3:54:17 PM   
Gunner98

quote:

The whole shooting match was started by some PLAAF jumping an EP-3 Aries (sound familiar?) in the Taiwan Strait.

Very similar - sent a pair of Hornets to 'test the water' and they got jumped - To quote Viper (Tom Skerritt): 'There were bogeys like fireflies all over the sky'

Got out by diving, one Hornet was damaged and got home about 30% damage and one engine. Together they took down 6. Rushed in 6 Tomcats, 2 from the south 4 from the north - by then is was a mess all over the place. Great scenario .

(in reply to Primarchx)
Post #: 10
RE: I'm Really Enjoying the New A/C Damage Option - 5/21/2017 4:02:28 PM   
JPFisher55

I too enjoy this feature. It seems that a missile takes out modern fighters most of the time, but in different ways. It's also fun to watch an damaged plane attempt to make it back to base. Most damage seems to take about a day to repair. It is a really neat feature. Thanks devs.

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 11
RE: I'm Really Enjoying the New A/C Damage Option - 5/21/2017 6:03:24 PM   
Primarchx

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gunner98

quote:

The whole shooting match was started by some PLAAF jumping an EP-3 Aries (sound familiar?) in the Taiwan Strait.

Very similar - sent a pair of Hornets to 'test the water' and they got jumped - To quote Viper (Tom Skerritt): 'There were bogeys like fireflies all over the sky'

Got out by diving, one Hornet was damaged and got home about 30% damage and one engine. Together they took down 6. Rushed in 6 Tomcats, 2 from the south 4 from the north - by then is was a mess all over the place. Great scenario .

Agreed! Even with modern fighters and a very permissive ROE it can be tricky mixing it up with the 'ancient and venerable Chinese air force'. I was finding MiG-21/J-7s doing hard turns at close range that befuddled the seeker heads on incoming AIM-7Ps. I had to make sure my a/c were descending to get close-range follow up shots with AIM-9s as groups merged then extend on afterburner before re-engaging. Then you have aircraft damage, so you need to take that into consideration. I was letting PLAAF fighters that were limping home alone because I was dealing with more immediate threats. It really rang true to what I know of modern air combat.

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 12
RE: I'm Really Enjoying the New A/C Damage Option - 5/21/2017 8:43:38 PM   
HalfLifeExpert

Having just finished 'Armed Diplomacy', I agree, the A/C damage system is great! I had one tough Badger that took a lot of punishment (1 Phoenix, 1 Sparrow, 1 Sidewinder and a Vulcan burst) and dodged a number of missiles before finally being killed by a second Sidewinder. This was also great for my score, as you are penalized pretty harshly for losing one aircraft, but on top of the seven that I lost, I also had three that were "mission killed", requiring more time fore repairs than was left in the scenario.

Should this mean that the "Maintenance" feature of Air Ops should me modified so that those planes can be made ready, given enough time, especially with the possibilities of very long scenarios?

< Message edited by HalfLifeExpert -- 5/21/2017 8:52:03 PM >

(in reply to Primarchx)
Post #: 13
RE: I'm Really Enjoying the New A/C Damage Option - 5/21/2017 9:01:42 PM   
mavfin

I find it interesting that the first two Sidewinder hits I saw, while they were only 1.23 DPs, the first one hit the cockpit, and the second one didn't kill anyone, but it got both engines, so the crew abandoned the aircraft.

So, while I haven't had a survivor yet, I'm finding it for immersion purposes to get the 'damage reports'.

(in reply to HalfLifeExpert)
Post #: 14
RE: I'm Really Enjoying the New A/C Damage Option - 5/21/2017 9:02:42 PM   
mavfin

While we're talking features...is the detailed gunfire stuff (that we've had forever) only for land/ship guns, or are a/c guns part of this as well?

(in reply to mavfin)
Post #: 15
RE: I'm Really Enjoying the New A/C Damage Option - 5/22/2017 4:59:38 AM   
Dimitris

For aircraft too. There's a few accuracy modifiers there.

(in reply to mavfin)
Post #: 16
RE: I'm Really Enjoying the New A/C Damage Option - 5/22/2017 1:22:57 PM   
Primarchx

I discovered that AMRAAMs, Sidewinders and Sparrows are not likely to down a bomber with a single hit, Phoenix is much more reliable in that regard. However damage usually sends an a/c back to base so you get a mission kill in most cases.

BTW - How is the RTB decision made? Is it correlated to sustained damage, skill level, etc?

ETA - Found it.

quote:

Aircraft are also assigned “damage tolerance” levels before they abort/RTB. For fighter and attack aircraft this is set to 30%, for CAS aircraft 50%, and for all other aircraft to 10%. Once this threshold is exceeded, the aircraft breaks off and attempts to RTB. The player can of course issue an RTB order before this level is exceeded. Damaged aircraft will jettison their heavy stores when RTBing due to damage (regardless of the “Jettison stores under attack” doctrine setting).

< Message edited by Primarchx -- 5/22/2017 1:27:19 PM >

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 17
RE: I'm Really Enjoying the New A/C Damage Option - 5/22/2017 10:12:53 PM   
Excroat3

While playing the "Nightmare" scenario in the CoW campaign one of my F-22s took an AA-2 hit. I could tell by the damage report (gun and radars destroyed, 1 engine damaged) that the missile hit the front port side of the aircraft, destroying the radars and gun, then the fragments were ingested through the engine, damaging it. The aircraft was safely able to make it back to base. Really impressed by this new feature!

(in reply to Primarchx)
Post #: 18
RE: I'm Really Enjoying the New A/C Damage Option - 5/22/2017 11:26:54 PM   
FoxZz

I was wondering if double engine planes can survive better than single enigne planes in the game, or if engine crits are treated broadly ?

(in reply to Excroat3)
Post #: 19
RE: I'm Really Enjoying the New A/C Damage Option - 5/23/2017 9:14:54 AM   
Gunner98

Double engine AC are much more survivable. It seems that engine hits are pretty common which makes sense considering the size of them in relation to a standard AC. Have had a couple now fly home on one engine with the other completely packed in, speed drops, and probably a bunch of other things like maneuverability because lame ducks die quickly as well if they are in a fur ball.

B

(in reply to FoxZz)
Post #: 20
RE: I'm Really Enjoying the New A/C Damage Option - 5/23/2017 10:59:43 PM   
mavfin

Also, anyone notice that damage% figures into agility calcs for missile/gun PH?

Had a Mig-21 take a Sidewinder hit, but was still going. However, it messed up his agility somewhat (damage% in agil calc), then he took some 20mm hits, That messed up his agility more, and a Sidewinder finished him off, and I *think* that the roll on it was such that it would have missed him if the damage from the other two hits had not been taken into account.

Mav

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 21
RE: I'm Really Enjoying the New A/C Damage Option - 5/24/2017 7:34:22 AM   
AlGrant

I've been playing with pop-up messages for Unit Damage switched on and then checking the status of the damaged a/c.

I've seen a few aircraft with quite low damage but they have been left without weapons suitable for their mission and quite often
with no chaff/flares. I tend to pull these back if the mission can afford the loss.
They may become a 'mission kill' but not losing the a/c usually means I don't lose the points!

Oh and if you really want a bit of fun...... Turn on Comms Disruption with your Aircraft Damage!
Most aircraft (especially older models) tend not to have as much comms equipment.

Last night I had an a/c with just V/UHF comms equipment go NOCOMM with only 1% damage.
At one point I had 3 damaged aircraft out of comms .... 2 made it home

GOD'S EYE DISABLED.

(in reply to mavfin)
Post #: 22
RE: I'm Really Enjoying the New A/C Damage Option - 5/24/2017 12:32:02 PM   
Primarchx

quote:

ORIGINAL: AlGrant

Oh and if you really want a bit of fun...... Turn on Comms Disruption with your Aircraft Damage!
Most aircraft (especially older models) tend not to have as much comms equipment.

Last night I had an a/c with just V/UHF comms equipment go NOCOMM with only 1% damage.
At one point I had 3 damaged aircraft out of comms .... 2 made it home

So what happens with these a/c? If they're below the RTB damage threshold do they just keep flying their mission?

(in reply to AlGrant)
Post #: 23
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> I'm Really Enjoying the New A/C Damage Option Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI