Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

So opinions? How is this game after all?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> So opinions? How is this game after all? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
So opinions? How is this game after all? - 5/27/2017 2:40:21 PM   
davidepessach

I have been on the fence for a bit and now I'm tryng to decide myself.
Gary Grigsby is definitely too granular and convoluted for me so this is looking right up my alley.
Still I fear it is a bit too simplistic and it gives me a 'strategic level panzer corps' feel.

Can't find anywhere reviews or organizes impressions.
Post #: 1
RE: So opinions? How is this game after all? - 5/27/2017 3:23:38 PM   
Sugar

quote:

a 'strategic level panzer corps' feel

Yes, that`s exactly what you get (maybe more a PanzerGeneral in origin). In fact, I doubt if you`ll be able to win on a tactical level (with the AI as exception).

The huge advantage of this fantastic game is the MP against human opponents, which is already fairly balanced, following the historical settings without to much restriction.

(in reply to davidepessach)
Post #: 2
RE: So opinions? How is this game after all? - 5/27/2017 4:30:44 PM   
xwormwood

quote:

ORIGINAL: Patgarret77

Can't find anywhere reviews or organizes impressions.

You could always watch all those youtube videos like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4gKAykukAU

"You will be dead, so long as you refuse to die" (George MacDonald)

Post #: 3
RE: So opinions? How is this game after all? - 5/27/2017 7:36:24 PM   
Erik Rutins

It's a great game with a lot of grand strategy and very good historical depth while remaining at the strategic level IMHO.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to xwormwood)
Post #: 4
RE: So opinions? How is this game after all? - 5/27/2017 8:09:47 PM   
elmo3

This game has more depth than Panzer Corps. I've certainly gotten my moneys worth out of it.

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 5
RE: So opinions? How is this game after all? - 5/27/2017 10:50:50 PM   
Icier

You need a human opponent to get the best of this game & then fast & fun.

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Post #: 6
RE: So opinions? How is this game after all? - 5/28/2017 2:59:12 AM   
tigercub

and the mods ad a new strings to the bow! turmoil mod has weekly turns...
1 chap is doing a 20km hex map for the game!

Tigercub

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life

(in reply to Icier)
Post #: 7
RE: So opinions? How is this game after all? - 5/29/2017 7:32:34 AM   
vonik

Not interesting and too easy against AI . But against a human, it takes quite a lot of games before one explored the possible strategical options .

(in reply to tigercub)
Post #: 8
RE: So opinions? How is this game after all? - 5/29/2017 1:22:43 PM   
YohanTM2

This is an excellent all around take on WWII. I always prefer PBEM but the AI is a decent challenge and excellent for learning the game. I would also point out that you will not fund better support for a wargame than Fury Software. These guys are tremendous.

(in reply to vonik)
Post #: 9
RE: So opinions? How is this game after all? - 5/30/2017 11:36:09 AM   
Kriegsspieler

I find this game to be complex, interesting and plenty challenging while one figures out how to play against the a.i. Eventually you learn to beat the a.i., but by then you will have gotten plenty of value from it.

(in reply to YohanTM2)
Post #: 10
RE: So opinions? How is this game after all? - 5/30/2017 5:25:31 PM   
Amadeus

This is a real good game at all.

The only thing I would like to change is a quick(er) campaign Storm over Europe. About 150 turns are too many to win a Game. A Ladder System I also wanna have. German players love something a League. Me too.

"You have to practice what you preach"(RONALD BELFORD SCOTT)

(in reply to Kriegsspieler)
Post #: 11
RE: So opinions? How is this game after all? - 5/30/2017 6:23:56 PM   
Bylandt11

This is my favourite WW2 game.

Been playing and enjoying ist since the first SC. It has an elegant simplicity that gives me a more credible experience of WW2 on a strategic level than a lot of other games that have a much steeper learning curves and require lot more micromanagement.

(in reply to Amadeus)
Post #: 12
RE: So opinions? How is this game after all? - 5/31/2017 1:21:56 PM   
Hubert Cater

Thanks everyone as we are very glad to hear you are all enjoying the game

(in reply to Bylandt11)
Post #: 13
RE: So opinions? How is this game after all? - 5/31/2017 5:15:15 PM   
davidepessach

Thanks to all guys, I'm completely convinced, gonna get this in few days and will look soon for a human opponent also! ;-)

(in reply to Hubert Cater)
Post #: 14
RE: So opinions? How is this game after all? - 6/1/2017 3:29:01 PM   
BillRunacre

There are some reviews online, here are a few examples:

https://bigbossbattle.com/preview-strategic-command-wwii-war-europe/

https://www.pcgamesn.com/strategic-command-wwii-war-in-europe/command-wwii-war-in-europe-welcoming-wargame

I will add that the game has got even better since they were written!

Bill

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/

Post #: 15
RE: So opinions? How is this game after all? - 6/6/2017 4:56:33 PM   
Grimnirsson

It seems that the game still doesn't allow PbEM (at least it's not mentioned as a feature on the game site)...that true?

And can somebody compare this game to Time of Fury? I actually liked the game but it had a few probs and the support died quickly (Wasteland Interactive I'm looking at you...) so I bailed out rather quickly.

Thanks,

Grim

(in reply to BillRunacre)
Post #: 16
RE: So opinions? How is this game after all? - 6/6/2017 5:28:44 PM   
Erik Rutins

It supports PBEM as of the 1.03 update. If you like the idea and scale of Time of Fury I think you'll love this and it's well supported.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Grimnirsson)
Post #: 17
RE: So opinions? How is this game after all? - 6/10/2017 5:43:37 PM   
Leadwieght

Very satisfying in PBEM.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 18
RE: So opinions? How is this game after all? - 6/10/2017 8:28:55 PM   
davidepessach

Yup, having a blast in PBEM. Now going to review on Steam. :-)

(in reply to Leadwieght)
Post #: 19
RE: So opinions? How is this game after all? - 6/11/2017 1:27:18 PM   
Numdydar

I as well enjoying MP in PBEM.

I had one issue with the game not loading a turn, but Matrix support quickly resolved the issue (rolled back one turn) and we have been fine ever since

Post #: 20
RE: So opinions? How is this game after all? - 6/11/2017 2:47:55 PM   
CrusssDaddy

I'm enjoying it. My basis of comparison is TOAW III (excellent operational scenarios, but can't quite manage strategic reach), the Allied General-Panzer General-Panzer Corps style games (largely unsatisfying, much more tactics and individual battle focused), and World in Flames (great as a tabletop game, irretrievably broken and dated as a computer game) and a handful of other tabletop games. To my mind, StratCom successfully blends the dynamism of the General-Corps games with the strategic reach of WiF. Events are well managed and I like that many of the smaller operations that would otherwise break down if portrayed at large scales (invasion of Denmark & Norway, raid at Dieppe, etc.) are handled by using events and invoking a blend of units and the purchasing points engine. Very satisfying. More events, to allow greater diversity of choice and more ability to create a narrative, would be great.

The challenge for me is integrating the elements that differ from traditional tabletop experiences as I know them, primarily strict turn schedule and structure. It's also a task for me to move on from "alive or dead" unit potentialities and to the "alive on a scale of 1-10" vs. "dead" of this game. It's just the way the kids do it these days, facilitated by convenient computer oversight, so this objection is mostly of the "Back in my day..." variety. Mostly it's storytelling: "This CV began the turn as a 10 and now it's a 3, what exactly does that mean in terms of the battle's or the war's narrative?" As soon as I can more successfully internalize that process of presumed gradual degradation vs. outright destruction, I think I'll be more comfortable.

I think the convoy system, one of my main complaints about WiF, is handled well, with the correct amount of abstraction. I prefer WiF's sea areas and sea-box sections, though -- it just seems correct that naval movement and operations should be handled by completely unique rules.

The game does not allow stacking, only one unit per hex. This seems odd at the game's scale and hinders my immersion when parking a fighter group in a city blocks a tank corps from moving there.

Production seems fine, although I miss buying lots of units like in WiF, versus simply replenishing existing degraded ones. Again, "Back in my day..."

Diplomacy is a bit sparse -- pay points, earn minor math bonus on road to eventual ally status. Some things are handled with events, which is good, and opportunities to expand in that direction should be explored.

I haven't explored strategic bombing and attacks much, because the results aren't readily evident. Majors get lots of production points, so if an attack kills just a few points, it's kind of a "Why bother?" experience. I may launch a later war scenario for the express purpose of unleashing Bomber Command on German cities and seeing what happens.

I like the game. I expect to like it more as I become more familiar with it (got it on Steam last week and have about 10 hours under my belt).

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 21
RE: So opinions? How is this game after all? - 6/11/2017 5:39:13 PM   
James Taylor

Don't overlook the "area denial" facility that strategic bombing can accomplish.

Units cannot escape or reinforce through towns/cities/ports that have a supply of less than 5.

With SBs having two strikes as well as CVs(now that it has been fixed),units with strategic attack capability can effectively isolate the battlefield.

SeaMonkey

(in reply to CrusssDaddy)
Post #: 22
RE: So opinions? How is this game after all? - 6/12/2017 4:50:11 AM   
meechsem

Maybe I am an idiot, but I find the AI formidable. I play global gold, SC pacific, and the new Europe SC vs the computer. I have no issues with the AI. I find it challenging every time I play.

(in reply to James Taylor)
Post #: 23
RE: So opinions? How is this game after all? - 6/12/2017 1:11:30 PM   
Birdw

Hope this isn't breaking any rules but here goes:

http://ww2wargamesclubforgentlemen.com/

This site is a great bunch of gamers and they support SC3. It is not a ladder per say but you get medals for certain accomplishments. Pleasure being a member, there is good interaction with other members.

The game itself is very fun and challenging especially against other players. It also has the best support for any game I've owned. The developers really listen to the players and make improvements as needed, supper support!

Birdman

It's just like shooting squirrels, only these squirrels have guns

(in reply to meechsem)
Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> So opinions? How is this game after all? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI