Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Futility of the War on Drugs

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Futility of the War on Drugs Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Futility of the War on Drugs - 5/7/2003 11:10:45 PM   
SLAAKMAN

...is a huge scam.

http://www.angryharry.com/esWaronDrugs.htm

War on Drugs

The war on drugs has to be one of the most nasty and vindictive of policies ever imposed on ordinary people by their own governments. It is an absolute curse inflicted upon our societies by politicians who seem to have no interest in the welfare of their people.

Keeping certain drugs illegal has created a vast underworld of criminality and it has been responsible for the wholesale corruption of hundreds of thousands of state officials.

Almost every category of serious crime contains a high proportion of perpetrators who, in some way or another, have indulged in criminal acts as a consequence of the illegality of drugs.

Because certain desirable drugs are illegal ...

... terrorists manage to arm themselves with expensive dangerous weaponry - and so do nations wishing to get their hands on weaponry which is denied to them through official channels

... organised crime syndicates, such as the Mafia, and thousands of smaller gangs of criminals descend into the underworld to pursue their criminal drug activities and then they also get involved in even more crime! - thus creating channels and resources for other types of crime - prostitution, gun-running, robbery, people-smuggling etc

... young boys, particularly those who have no hope of achieving very much because of their circumstances or their lack of abilities are tempted easily into drugs dealing in order to 'make something of themselves' - or to fund their own drug habits. And it is worth pointing out that some 15% of young men and boys in the population have intelligence levels that are pretty low! They often - especially when young - cannot see the full implications of getting involved with drugs.

... millions of people who take drugs develop anti-government sentiments and/or are susceptible to being blackmailed and/or corrupted. These also include very powerful people - ranging from police officers to politicians - whom societies simply cannot afford to have blackmailed or corrupted.

... Many thousands of people end up in prison or being processed through the criminal justice system - which costs us a fortune. Not only do we pay for them while they are inside prisons, we also lose the value of their labours and turn them into unproductive burdens on society. And, oftentimes, this leaves their loved ones on the outside having to fend for themselves. For every father in a prison cell, there is a child without a father - and the statistics show quite clearly what bad effects this has on children and on society as a whole.

The drugs war is an absolute disaster. It causes far more harm than good. And there are many other effective ways of combating drug abuse.

So, why do we have a drugs war?

Well, what follows is partially the answer to this question.

For the moment, just imagine a politician called ADP.

He thumps the table and he says, "There is far too much crime in our society. We need to lock up the criminals and give them long sentences. We need to get them off the streets. We need to come down hard on drugs users, and put them into prison cells. Etc Etc Etc."

Well, you get the picture of this man.

Now, let's just see who benefits by promoting and supporting ADP's agenda and who is prepared to fund his campaign for office.

1. "We need more money for our prisons! We need to lock up more people," says ADP - and so those who work in the huge prison service industry will vote for him. Of course they will! More funding for them. More benefits for them. And notice that those in the prison services may well not even be wanting particularly to vote to maintain the war on drugs. These people may just be voting for more funds to go into the prison service. A very noble aim. But the point is that when they vote for ADP, they are also voting to maintain the war on drugs.

2. "We need more policemen on our streets!", says ADP - and so everybody who feels the same way because they have a fear of crime will vote for him. And by voting for ADP, these people are ALSO voting for the war on drugs - even though they may not wish to. In other words, because people fear crime, they will vote for ADP who is tough on crime. And the fact that ADP also wants to maintain the drugs war may just be incidental to this.

3. The big construction companies that build and maintain the prisons will also 'vote' for ADP. And they will do this with their dollars - perhaps by contributing to ADP's campaign funds. Of course they will do this. They want to get more government contracts to build and maintain more prisons. And there is certainly nothing morally wrong in this at all. But, by voting for ADP and promoting his campaign with their dollars, they are also promoting the war on drugs!

4. "Citizens must be able to protect themselves from criminals. They must have guns!" says ADP. And so the gun industry, quite legitimately, will support ADP's campaign with its huge amount of dollars. And those citizens who want to bear arms will also vote for ADP. This is all very legitimate. But by voting for ADP, they are voting to maintain the war on drugs!

5. "We must hand out more money to the justice system. We have to prosecute criminals as best as we can," says ADP. And the lawyers and the judges and the customs officers and the police will all agree with ADP. After all, they are all having a tough time dealing with all the cases, and they are very under-resourced. And so they will vote for ADP, who is arguing for more resources to help them in their fight against crime. But by voting for ADP, they are also voting to maintain the war on drugs.

6. "Illegal drugs are bad for you," says ADP - and all the pharmaceutical companies will agree. And they will agree to the tune of thousands of dollars. Why? Because if people, for example, are smoking pot to keep themselves cool and happy, they may well not use the legal drugs that the pharmaceutical companies would prefer them to use. And so ADP will get handsome funding for his cause from the legitimate drugs companies.

7. And, for the very same reasons, the tobacco companies and the alcohol industry would just love to see ADP rise very high in political office. They don't want people to turn away from the addictive but legal drugs that they are most happy to provide them with. For example, the more that people smoke pot, the less are they likely to drink alcohol.

8. And then, of course, in the case of marijuana there are all those industries which would just hate to see hemp being grown legally (e.g. see Hemp has been grown for at least 12,000 years for fiber (textiles and paper) and seed (food and fuel). It has been effectively prohibited in the United States since the 1950s.) No way are they going to support the legalisation of marijuana ! And so their money and their votes will also go to ADP.

9. There are some 300 billion illegal drug dollars every year being laundered through the banking system. If this money was to dry up, the banks would not have enough collateral to continue handing out all their loans, e.g. see Taking that into account and given steady accumulation of wealth by the world criminal fraternity, the amounts of money involved in drug investments could be as much as $1 trillion, and The illegal trade in narcotics is estimated to be worth more than 400 billion dollars a year.

If all drugs became legal, the banks would have to rein in their activities very significantly. No way would they want this to happen, and so they will give their support to ADP.

10. The drugs barons themselves would also be crazy not to support ADP with their dollars - or even, perhaps, by tainting his political opponent in some way. If drugs were legalised they would lose their multi-million dollar businesses overnight!

11. And how would governments and their secret services be able to fund their illicit covert operations without turning a blind eye to the drug dealing that they do themselves or that is being done on their behalf? Across the entire world, the very illegality of drugs ensures that those who want a lot of money and power can get them both! And they can do this without paying any taxes on their dealings! They too will support ADP - somehow.

12. It is a well-known political ploy for politicians to frighten people so that they can then offer to protect them in some way. Even the Mafia do this sort of thing. It is called a 'protection racket'. And so ADP is using a well-tried effective tactic for gaining the support of people.

And so it is that the ADPs of this world get into office and so maintain one of the most barbaric and destructive policies of the past 100 years.

There are enormous numbers of people who will support ADP. And there are many powerful organisations that will do exactly the same. Most of these people are not bad people. Most of these organisations are not bad organisations. And ADP is not a bad person.

But, collectively, they are manufacturing a climate and providing huge resources to maintain a situation that does tremendous harm to our societies. And, quite simply, they are mostly doing this in order to feather their own nests in their own particular necks of the woods.

And who can blame them?

But this is why a man like ADP gets voted into office. He has huge support!

But the drugs war that he maintains does not do his people any good at all.

In some ways, there should be a war on drugs. But it should be conducted through education and treatment, not through persecution, prosecution and incarceration. If we took this alternative route we could cut crime significantly and also divert huge resources into programs that were more involved in caring for people than in hurting them.

And, further, what could be more stupid than handing over to those very 'types' who are prepared to be SERIOUS criminals such huge resources with which to empower themselves!? - i.e. the high profits from selling illegal drugs. If we want to disempower serious criminals then one of the best ways is to remove their sources of power!

Duh!

If all drugs were legalised tomorrow, what calamities would befall us?

Surely, at the worst, the number of 'addicts' would grow?

Well, so what?

OK. So we would have to employ far more health workers, doctors and nurses. We would also have to provide more education and more treatment centres. And we would probably have to fund more research.

Would this be such a catastrophe - especially given that, on balance, we would actually end up saving so many resources from the ensuing reduction in crime?

As a society, what do we want, more police officers and lawyers, or more doctors and nurses? More prisons or more hospitals? More crimes on the streets, or more people receiving help, education and treatment?

ADP is not the man that we should vote for.
Post #: 1
- 5/8/2003 12:06:49 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Even the dullest moron knows the greater majority of "dangerous substances" is harmful in the extreme.

But hmm ever see those commercials attempting to fix a problem that isn't really so bad, and they tack on "some side effects may be" and then they list worse problems than they are supposedly curing.

My take on drugs is this. Let them do them. The more the better. For each dead dumb idiot that kills themselves with drugs, the human race had lost the genes of yet another self destructive idiot.

Does that sound uncaring heartless and cold? Hey mother nature invented uncaring heartless and cold, not me. Have you not seen a program on weather before?

But I have to agree, letting the criminal element exploit the situation is no one's idea of acceptable.
Given a choice of dealing with self righteous nuts screaming we are condoning idiots doing idiotic things, or putting money into the hads of very nasty people, who will just let those idiots be idiots, but for a price, I have to say I would rather have to tell the self righteous to get stuffed.

It's easier.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

(in reply to SLAAKMAN)
Post #: 2
- 5/8/2003 4:57:33 AM   
Veldor

Clearly the solution is to make absolutely everything legal. Drugs, Prostitution, you name it.

Hmm or how bout just making the penalties stiffer like in some middle-eastern states.

Oh so you say this is the only time you've ever done drugs? Too bad DEATH PENALTY.

Much more effective than letting them kills themselves and take out an innocent family of 4 when they do it....

If the DEATH PENALTY is too expensive I have the solution. Its called a bullet and it doesnt cost much tax paying dollars at all.

Now don't mistake me for someone with no empathy at all. I'll give you one "get out of the death penalty free cards"... But if you screw up again, in any way, BYE BYE.

That or send all the criminals to Australia again :)

(in reply to SLAAKMAN)
Post #: 3
- 5/8/2003 5:48:01 AM   
Fred98

But here in Australia, prostitution is already legal. Just the other day a brothel was floated on the stock market. The shares tripled on the first days trading. Didn’t you get in on the ground floor? Sack your stock broker.

My view is that these drugs ought to be sold through special outlets. Each “store” would have the security of fort Knox and have an adjoining safe injection room – to stop the re-use of needles and to stop spreading infections.

(in reply to SLAAKMAN)
Post #: 4
- 5/8/2003 7:11:49 AM   
tarendelcymir

I'd have to agree with Les. Let the people who want to take drugs do so, and remove themselves from the gene pool.

The only time I would waste any effort on them is if their drug use hurt someone else.

We sometimes catch a window
A glimpse of what's beyond
Was it just imagination
Stringing us along?
More things than are dreamed about
Unseen and unexplained
We suspend our disbelief
And we are entertained

(in reply to SLAAKMAN)
Post #: 5
- 5/8/2003 10:12:10 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Infrastructure say it slowly.

Here in Canada the words means redundant government involvement.

I don't want to spend money on these idiots at all. Not in prevention expenses, nor expenses to make it safe. I don't want to aid them at all.

I want them to die.

They are a weak link, and they want to kill themselves off willingly.

I say let them.

I like life, it's why I spend so much time trying to make mine better. I don't smoke, it's a sign your mind needs re wiring. I never drink more than one beer (in a month). I take prescription meds reluctantly, because who cares if it's legal, I don't trust them much. I most certainly won't be smoking pot or anything with a cute soundng name. I don't want to inject or breathe in garbage.

The only thing I won't to ingest in good libreal doses, is good literature.

(in reply to SLAAKMAN)
Post #: 6
- 5/8/2003 11:43:14 AM   
Veldor

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tarendelcymir
[B]I'd have to agree with Les. Let the people who want to take drugs do so, and remove themselves from the gene pool.
[/B][/QUOTE]

If it were only as easy as most of them ending up dead. But that is not the most common outcome.

[QUOTE][B]
The only time I would waste any effort on them is if their drug use hurt someone else. [/B][/QUOTE]

I think its a bit naive to think that there would ever be a case where it doesn't. If nothing else their degenerated life is being paid for by my tax dollars.

If drugs were legal it would be my tax dollars and yours that paid for them all and for drug users housing and food stamps and so on.

The reverse extreme would be far more effective.

(in reply to SLAAKMAN)
Post #: 7
- 5/8/2003 11:53:53 AM   
Veldor

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Joe 98
[B]But here in Australia, prostitution is already legal. Just the other day a brothel was floated on the stock market. The shares tripled on the first days trading. Didn’t you get in on the ground floor? Sack your stock broker.
[/B][/QUOTE]

It shouldn't be legal anywhere. Marriages have enough problems as it is. And thats just one of many reasons.

[QUOTE][B]
My view is that these drugs ought to be sold through special outlets. Each “store” would have the security of fort Knox and have an adjoining safe injection room – to stop the re-use of needles and to stop spreading infections. [/B][/QUOTE]

My idea would be yours but the safe injection room would actually be a "lethal" injection room. All the wonderfully intelligent drug users would probably never even catch on...

The solution to all the worlds problems is getting rid of the criminals. Kill them, exile them, whatever. You don't want to play by societies rules? No problem... Here is your plane ticket to antarctica... Have at it...

(in reply to SLAAKMAN)
Post #: 8
- 5/8/2003 11:56:09 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

If drugs were legal it would be my tax dollars and yours that paid for them all and for drug users housing and food stamps and so on.

Not sure about where you live, but the poor already use their dole (or whatever you want to call it) to buy drugs booze lottery tickets etc around here.

Now if it was legal, we could tax the stuff, and at least someone other than drug czars would be able to make use out of an otherwise dumb habit.

Stores could sell it, that means revenue for small time businesses.
Governments could tax it and thus make money to accomodate the wretches that can't kill themselves efficiently and not wind up in our hospitals.

Of course legalising it will offend the religious community, but why should they be left out. They do such a good job of offending me with their insanity, why should they not have to stomache some of mine for a change.

(in reply to SLAAKMAN)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Futility of the War on Drugs Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI