Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

A few newbie questions ;c|)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> A few newbie questions ;c|) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A few newbie questions ;c|) - 5/21/2001 1:47:00 PM   
Gumby3D

Hi there! Um, well, hum yes... As you can probably tell I'm new here :everyone in the room turns and looks at the new guy: continuing on I believe a month or two ago in my search for games based on WWII I stumbled upon the Steel Panther's demo, I'm not sure which it was 1, 2, or 3, I can't remember but it was modern combat and I believe it ran improperly fast. So I scrapped it. While perusing the Sudden-Strike forums I found a nifty clan page which had a link to a site called Stratlinks, from there I found Matrix Games. What originaly grabbed my interest was Combat Leader. It looks pretty promising, but damned if I can't finish one mission in that Firefight demo ;c) Just tonight I noticed a banner on the Combat Leader page to Steel Panthers: World At War, so I clicked on it figuring it MUST be new because I had never heard of SPWaW mentioned anywhere before. So I scanned the page quickly and almost immediately went to the downloads page in search for a demo when I was gob smacked to say the least to see a 400 meg full version file for download... Free might I add. This caught me off guard and this is where my first question comes into play ;c) Is this some kind of twisted ploy? Do I download the 400 megs and then have to enter some registration code that I get by sending money to the game company? Because I think that would *ahem* kind of blow. :P The erm second question is is, erm *ahem* is this game good? I know this question is a little general and may be 'slightly' biased ;c) But I'm curious. I play and thoroughly enjoy Combat Mission, Sudden-Strike, Hidden & Dangerous, and Close Combat 3 & 5. My two favorites are Combat Mission and Sudden-Strike. Althoguh I might go as far as saying that though not a super realistic portrayal of WWII it is the root of my sudden addiction to anything and everything WWII. Anywho, ;c) Cheers ~Chris

Post #: 1
- 5/21/2001 1:52:00 PM   
Uglykid

Hi The Full download is free, you dont have to pay anything. If you like strategy games you will love SPWAW! So go to download section and get the game! NOW!!!! ;)

Im not crazy - I am Animator

(in reply to Gumby3D)
Post #: 2
- 5/21/2001 1:54:00 PM   
Gumby3D

Yay! Wow quite a quick response good to know the fanbase for this game is live and virile! Onward to the download! Cheers ~Chris

(in reply to Gumby3D)
Post #: 3
- 5/21/2001 1:56:00 PM   
Don

Hi Gumby3D, Well, I can't guarantee that you'll like it - but yes it's free. Take all you want, we'll make more. There's also scenarios available on different sites, you can find that listing here: http://www.matrixgames.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=005366 If you have trouble d/ling it, someone will usually make a CD and send it to you. As their first "paying" project, Matrix just made a massive Mega-Campaign set in North Africa, and that costs $20 and comes with a free SPWAW CD as well. Some that like real-time games don't get into SPWAW much - it's turn based with plenty of thinking time. There's also a great scenario editor and many of us get into making maps and scenarios for this - then it becomes just about a full-time job for alot of us! :)

Don "Sapper" Llewellyn

(in reply to Gumby3D)
Post #: 4
- 5/21/2001 2:14:00 PM   
Gumby3D

Ah yes of course the ultimate leveler between strategy enthusiasts, real time or turn based. This is such a heated topic sometimes I was considering on writing up an article on the subject. But incase you didn't notice I really enjoy Combat Mission besides Sudden-Strike it's my fave =c) I am also getting into miniature wargaming at the 1/285th scale. My dad used to play miniatures so he's ordering a bunch of models and we're going to have a jolly old time he says. Cheers ~Chris

(in reply to Gumby3D)
Post #: 5
- 5/21/2001 2:56:00 PM   
Resisti

Gumby3d,you maybe interested to know this,too(pasted from another thread): "As you may know, I have been somewhat active in the production of both games(NOTE:combat Mission and Spwaw) and enjoy them immensely. Wild Bill -------------------- In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

Federico "Resisti" Doveri

(in reply to Gumby3D)
Post #: 6
- 5/21/2001 3:27:00 PM   
Crockett

Hey Gumby3D I am a newbie to SPWAW( 2 weeks ! ) and I am playing Combat Mission since last December (and will certainly do it until CM2 is out and may be after ).The CD of Combat Mission is in my CD drive since the day I received CM and I still enjoy the game like I did the first day...I admit that SPWAW is the only game that , since December did what Combat Mission did to me. I do not know what kind of Internet connection you have but every minute you will spend to download the 400MB of SPWAW is worthy. Both games may look different ( 2D vs 3D ) but they have a lot in common Download the Manual of SPWAW and you will understand what I mean...It is as well and seriously made as the CM manual...Both high quality games Of course it is possible to enjoy CM and not SPWAW (or enjoy SPWAW and not CM ) but if you enjoy high quality tactical games ,there are good chances that you will love SPWAW. Do yourself a favor and download SPWAW Cheers Crockett [ May 21, 2001: Message edited by: Crockett ]

(in reply to Gumby3D)
Post #: 7
- 5/21/2001 11:46:00 PM   
Gumby3D

Yay! Thanks for the encouragement Crockett, I totally appreciate it. Aparently this night was a night of brilliant performance by my connection and I managed to grab all 400 megs of wonderous World War 2 tactical combat game. My lord it's such a brilliant game. Although I got creamed on the very first mission of the tutorial :blushes: I really enjoyed myself. It's a very cool game. I'm going to post a new topic on a few questions I have so cheers mates! Cheers ~Chris

(in reply to Gumby3D)
Post #: 8
- 5/22/2001 7:49:00 AM   
Don

Be sure to follow the text for the tutorials in the manual - some have special preference settings and they will be MUCH tougher if you don't use them. Most of the tutorials should be completed with no problems. There is no text for the "Cave-Busting" lesson - you can get it at the link below.

Don "Sapper" Llewellyn

(in reply to Gumby3D)
Post #: 9
- 5/23/2001 1:57:00 AM   
CSCOTR

I've been so glued to version 5.0 of this game I hav'nt even been on the net for tthree or four weeks now. I even missed the news of a upgrade version ! it's that good. I have a 28.8 connection rate with bad phone lines took me almost 21 hours to download after 3 days of just trying ..It's that good. GET IT !

(in reply to Gumby3D)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> A few newbie questions ;c|) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI