Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT Things to ponder

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT Things to ponder Page: <<   < prev  99 100 [101] 102 103   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT Things to ponder - 5/31/2017 7:54:37 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Some cats I've had make a rapid "yak-yak-yak" sound when seeing birds through a window. I think it's from frustration, they wouldn't make any sound while stalking or preparing to ambush a bird.

It's a pretty common predator:prey response in cats called 'chittering'. Probably intense and uncontrollable stimulation, usually to some flittering bird or other prey animal. In ye olde days, folks said that it was cats trying to hypnotize their prey or chirp like a bird to throw 'em off.

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 3001
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/1/2017 3:57:26 AM   
wdolson

I've seen cats do that chittering when they see prey, but know they can't get to it. I haven't heard it from these two though, they are very quiet, one sounds like a guinea pig at full volume. The other one is just shy of 9 pounds and just a little over a year old and she sounds like a 6 week old kitten. It's a trait of the breed. The kitten sounding one has a UTI right now, so she's been more talkative lately, mostly complaining about how she feels. She's on antibiotics now, so she should be better soon.

I thought a grosbeak was a possibility, but when I looked at pictures, the beak is wrong. The beak was straight like a robin's. I've never seen or heard of any orioles around here, but it looked more like an oriole than any other bird I've seen in looking. I've seen some "one off" birds around here. There seems to be one dove in the area, I see it about twice a year. I only see the one. I've also seen some other birds only once or twice. There are probably some birds from the interior who wander down the Columbia Gorge, end up west of the Cascades and wonder WTF? The climate west and east of the Cascades is very different.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3002
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/1/2017 7:26:24 PM   
Orm

quote:

Not one but two Brown Thrashers in my yard today

Thank you for sharing.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

Post #: 3003
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/1/2017 8:24:03 PM   
MakeeLearn

Foxes make a "CRAWW" sound that sounds like a crow. If one didn't see them doing it they would never think it was from a fox.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 3004
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/1/2017 8:32:47 PM   
MakeeLearn

Spotted Towhee

Attachment (1)

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 3005
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/1/2017 10:29:07 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

Thank you for sharing.

I saw three of them this morning. They were together and moving around in formation like velociraptors.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 3006
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/1/2017 10:32:48 PM   
rustysi

Don't you have an AAR to update young man?

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

Post #: 3007
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/1/2017 10:34:10 PM   
geofflambert

The Brown Thrashers ate my homework.

I just sent Steve another turn, so I have 4 now to report on.

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 6/1/2017 10:35:37 PM >

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 3008
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/1/2017 10:36:59 PM   
rustysi

quote:

The Brown Thrashers ate my homework.

Where have I heard that before?

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

Post #: 3009
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/1/2017 10:38:09 PM   
Will_L

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

Thank you for sharing.

I saw three of them this morning. They were together and moving around in formation like velociraptors.

You can make the dinosaur into a bird but you can't take the dinosaur out of the bird.

Post #: 3010
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/2/2017 1:57:54 AM   
wdolson

quote:

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

Spotted Towhee

That is definitely a possibility.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 3011
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/2/2017 1:58:04 AM   
geofflambert

I love it when I inspire someone to post who hardly ever posts. I could use one from the Sandman about now.

(in reply to Will_L)
Post #: 3012
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/2/2017 2:07:09 AM   
geofflambert

I think the Sandman once posted a pic of his Siamese cat sitting on his desk looking inquisitively at his computer monitor which had the game map on it, I think the DEI mainly. Somebody took the pic and added the caption "Where the [eff] are his PBYs?" I don't remember who did that but it was one of the best posts I've ever seen on this forum.

Post #: 3013
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/2/2017 3:09:16 AM   
Will_L

quote:

I love it when I inspire someone to post who hardly ever posts. I could use one from the Sandman about now.

Gotta admit, I really like the bird pics you and Makee post. Not much to see where I live apart from the ubiquitous
sparrows, starlings and pigeons. We've got mockingbirds that do every car alarm ever heard in one long sequence
until 2:00am and they're awake again before 5:00am, a few robins, cardinals, mourning doves, ravens, and seagulls.
Surprisingly it was West Nile fever that attrited the sparrows and pigeons back in the '90s that created space for
the mockingbirds and mourning doves to move into the area.

Post #: 3014
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/2/2017 3:27:47 AM   
geofflambert

The starlings around here, they're close relatives of myna birds, they can imitate anything. Frequently I hear them imitating the cries of red-tailed hawks. We have those around here, not enough though, but when the starling is close by it can make the sound of a red-tail from 300 meters away. It really sounds like it but fools none of the other birds or rodents scurrying around. We have not enough red-tails and I haven't seen any Cooper's Hawks for a while, and my yard is overrun with bunnies. Those didn't used to last long here. A gaming friend of mine would have me shoot them with my air-rifle but I don't do that anymore. I just fill in their burrow holes and spread grass seed.

(in reply to Will_L)
Post #: 3015
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/2/2017 3:30:35 AM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: WRLertola

quote:

Gotta admit, I really like the bird pics you and Makee post. Not much to see where I live apart from the ubiquitous
sparrows, starlings and pigeons. We've got mockingbirds that do every car alarm ever heard in one long sequence
until 2:00am and they're awake again before 5:00am, a few robins, cardinals, mourning doves, ravens, and seagulls.
Surprisingly it was West Nile fever that attrited the sparrows and pigeons back in the '90s that created space for

I'd be really surprised if you had ravens in Queens nowadays. They're really shy about built up areas. You sure you don't mean crows? Poe "quoth the raven" but that was a different time.

(in reply to Will_L)
Post #: 3016
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/2/2017 3:35:24 AM   
geofflambert

We get seagulls here, coming up the Mississippi, but they never stray far from her. We once in a long while get bull sharks too. They're maybe the only kind of shark that can tolerate seawater, brackish water and fresh water. Someone was attacked by a bull shark here a long time ago.

Post #: 3017
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/2/2017 3:42:02 AM   
geofflambert

A couple of years ago, on one day and only briefly, I saw a pair of White-Collared Eurasian Doves. Here they're called an invasive species. They are pigeon sized, much larger than Mourning Doves and rather beautiful, sleek.

Post #: 3018
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/2/2017 3:44:30 AM   
Will_L

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: WRLertola

quote:

I'd be really surprised if you had ravens in Queens nowadays. They're really shy about built up areas. You sure you don't mean crows? Poe "quoth the raven" but that was a different time.

They're definitely ravens where I'm at, solitary and on rare occasion I see two of them together.
Crows I have only seen at the larger parks in the city - Central, Van Cortlandt & Pelham Bay. The ones in Central
Park use the Thatch maneuver on the peregrine falcons which is an awesome sight.

was Will_L for a while.

Post #: 3019
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/2/2017 3:46:43 AM   
geofflambert

Here the West Nile mainly annihilated the crows and blue-jays. The Corvids are most susceptible. We're starting to get both of those back, but nowhere near the numbers we used to have.

Post #: 3020
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/2/2017 3:48:18 AM   
Will_L

quote:

We get seagulls here, coming up the Mississippi, but they never stray far from her.
We once in a long while get bull sharks too. They're maybe the only kind of shark that can tolerate seawater, brackish water and fresh water. Someone was attacked by a bull shark here a long time ago.

And never far from trash heaps either
Bull sharks!?! Damn. There are mostly Blue sharks off the coast here now, one Great white being tracked off New
Jersey. As the water warms up they'll be Mako and a rare Hammerhead around with a few more Great Whites. Never have
seen a Bull shark taken off Long Island but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened.

was Will_L for a while.

Post #: 3021
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/2/2017 3:52:56 AM   
geofflambert

Are you referring to the "Thach Weave", a tactic developed in the Pacific War by an American named Jimmy Thach? His invention was about paired fighters, when one was being dived on it would turn away and it's wingman would turn towards the attacking enemy, so it would be a contest of four 50 cals against a couple 0f 12.7mms and a 20mm canon which always fell short. Later in the war it would be six 50 cals. Devastating.

Post #: 3022
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/2/2017 3:58:27 AM   
geofflambert

Crows are fearless, I once saw a bald eagle pass not ten feet in front of me with a crow right on its tail. Owls are roughly treated by them too.

Post #: 3023
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/2/2017 4:08:02 AM   
geofflambert

There are ravens in your area, none around here.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 3024
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/2/2017 5:00:27 PM   
rsallen64

So I have to ask a question about the mix you use in your hummingbird feeder. My wife uses 1 part sugar to 4 parts water, but the hummers seem to be liking it less and less as time goes on. She swears they've changed the sugar in some way, but I'm not so sure. What brand do you use? What ratios? BTW, I bought her the raw cotton as you show in your pic, and it should arrive today.

Desert War 1940-1942 Beta Tester
Agressors: Ancient Rome Beta Tester

"The greatest and noblest pleasure which men can have in this world is to discover new truths; and the next is to shake off old prejudices." Frederick the Great

Post #: 3025
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/2/2017 5:31:53 PM   
geofflambert

One to four is what I use. C&H I think. They're fighting over it even though I have 3 feeders out at the moment. As more flowers appear they'll spend more time there. They also need tiny insects for the protein. Aphids and such. The sugar water will sustain them for a time but they need more than that. If you have fast growing vines like honeysuckle the aphids will appear at the tender ends of the shoots. If your yard or garden do not provide enough bugs for them, they will have to travel elsewhere for that but they may still nest near you.

(in reply to rsallen64)
Post #: 3026
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/2/2017 5:36:30 PM   
geofflambert

Here's an example of another way you can help them: https://www.lakeside.com/Garden---Outdoors/Outdoor-Decor/Set+of+2+Hummingbird+Nesters/prod2460064.jmp?cid=GooglePLA-133145011&ukwcid=+&product_id=133145011&adpos=1o2&creative=106300818648&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=Cj0KEQjwmcTJBRCYirao6oWPyMsBEiQA9hQPbhRK7k1kOsYB2MfVIRDDOia4wEZQIZxwHVxPp6QMunoaAue_8P8HAQ

They use spider's web silk when they can get it but cotton will do. If you can mount your nest platforms on walls that squirrels can't climb, that would be preferable. Other small birds will use the cotton as well.

Possibly add a little more fake foliage around them for better cover.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 6/2/2017 5:38:29 PM >

Post #: 3027
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/2/2017 5:43:41 PM   
geofflambert

In your area fungus and other things may get into the sugar water. I clean the feeders frequently and use bleach if they seem to need it. Bees of course may foul them and if ants are getting at them thats a big problem. If I have problems with the ants climbing the poles I smear them with vaseline. You can use double faced tape too.

Post #: 3028
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/2/2017 6:01:26 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

In your area fungus and other things may get into the sugar water. I clean the feeders frequently and use bleach if they seem to need it. Bees of course may foul them and if ants are getting at them thats a big problem. If I have problems with the ants climbing the poles I smear them with vaseline. You can use double faced tape too.

We change out our hummingbird feeders every other day around these parts. Fungal growth isn't so much a problem as bacterial overgrowth in the high heat. We have a problem with woodpeckers (yes, woodpeckers-and not the little Downys either) moreso than ants getting into the feeders.

They make ant traps that you can hang your hummingbird feeder from. We've successfully used these for years and you don't need to grease your pole. Grease your pole...fnar fnar...

Post #: 3029
RE: OT Things to ponder - 6/2/2017 6:10:20 PM   
geofflambert

The Downeys do feed from them but I don't think they do much harm. Squirrels are another problem but I hang them high enough they can't leap to them and I have squirrel guards below. Have to keep them out from under the trees too.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3030
Page:   <<   < prev  99 100 [101] 102 103   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT Things to ponder Page: <<   < prev  99 100 [101] 102 103   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI