Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Are you ready for the Desert War?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Desert War 1940 - 1942 >> RE: Are you ready for the Desert War? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Are you ready for the Desert War? - 5/18/2017 2:06:39 PM   
Saint Ruth

quote:

ORIGINAL: 76mm

Hi Saint Ruth, very glad to see that this game is finally coming out!

What can you tell us about the "modability/editability" of the game? Can we create new graphics, new units, revise unit strengths, new maps, etc.?

Cheers Tom!
The game has a full editor (the same one used to create the scenarios) and will
also include the mega map which is a 344 x 118 hex map stretching 60 miles west of El Agheila all the way to Alexandria. The scenario editor allows one to "cut out" bits of the big map to make smaller scenarios (I mean the hex info as well as the image) so one can make new scenarios without having to create a new map (or have to use exactly one of the existings maps).
Scenarios can be created with a map image or directly with tiles. All images in the game can be updated too.
So buttons, unit images / icons / details and everything can be changed.
We did a Pacific Peleliu scenario just by changing the images.
See pic below!
And sure, everything can be edited, all the units etc. As well for hotseat games, it's possible to edit ongoing games!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 31
RE: Are you ready for the Desert War? - 5/18/2017 2:30:42 PM   
rocketman71

That sounds awesome. Talk about flexibility. Really starting to look forward to this one.
Will the Peleliu scenario be made available after release?

(in reply to Saint Ruth)
Post #: 32
RE: Are you ready for the Desert War? - 5/18/2017 2:30:44 PM   
jamespcrowley

quote:

ORIGINAL: Saint Ruth

Hi, all scenarios should have AI for both sides. When that screen shot was taken, the AI was only done for one side (I never noticed it was in screenshot!).

I'm not sure what you mean by units getting "lost"? You always know where your units are, but not the enemies of course. As its WEGO, the orders you give might not be carried out of course, because of C&C delay, or enemy action, or delayed by other units getting in the way etc.

Yes, we decided not have an explicit extra unit attribute for morale, as its effects are really covered in readiness and quality.

And yes, , planned to do AAR...

That all sounds excellent, Saint Ruth.

In mentioning lost units I was referring to the fact that it was not uncommon for units and formations to lose their bearings in the almost featureless waste of 'the blue' even without the extreme effects provided by sandstorms etc.

This resulted in those units not knowing where they were in relation to even other friendly units, let alone enemy units. So, from a C&C perspective, would be out of command to all intents and purposes.

Given the time scale of the game, I am guessing that those temporary blips are built into the 'delay' feature.

However, from a purely theoretical viewpoint, how easy/hard/desirable would it be to have a feature whereby units could become 'lost' and be temporarily out of the control (or even sight) of the player?

Cheers

Jim

(in reply to Saint Ruth)
Post #: 33
RE: Are you ready for the Desert War? - 5/18/2017 7:09:35 PM   
76mm

Thanks Brian, sounds really awesome! I will definitely pick this one up, finally, after all this time!

Also, I think we discussed this at one point, but I've forgotten--is it possible to edit save game files, to allow for use of this game as a operational layer for a tactical wargame?

(in reply to jamespcrowley)
Post #: 34
RE: Are you ready for the Desert War? - 5/19/2017 5:00:24 AM   
haydenmathew

Thanks, for the information Daniele
CHeers

< Message edited by haydenmathew -- 5/19/2017 5:02:16 AM >

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 35
RE: Are you ready for the Desert War? - 5/19/2017 9:28:31 AM   
ninja81

I love the "clean" war fighted in north africa and this game look very awesome, tank you. Day one for me. :)

(in reply to haydenmathew)
Post #: 36
RE: Are you ready for the Desert War? - 5/19/2017 12:48:31 PM   
sol_invictus

Very excited for this game! I have waited for a successor to the old Avalon Hill/Atomic V4V/W@W series for over two decades. I still have the disks for all those old games but they are next to impossible to play on new OS and impossible to play for email. Instant buy for me. WEGO is the only way to go for this level of combat; especially in such a fluid type of combat. Only question at the moment is will NATO counters be an option? I have always preferred NATO over silhouette.

"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 37
RE: Are you ready for the Desert War? - 5/19/2017 1:00:21 PM   
sol_invictus

Just saw your post above on the Peleliu scenario so that answers my question. I am giddy!

"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero

(in reply to sol_invictus)
Post #: 38
RE: Are you ready for the Desert War? - 5/19/2017 3:39:46 PM   
Saint Ruth

quote:

ORIGINAL: rocketboy

That sounds awesome. Talk about flexibility. Really starting to look forward to this one.
Will the Peleliu scenario be made available after release?

No plans for anything other Desert War at the moment! One thing at a time!

(in reply to rocketman71)
Post #: 39
RE: Are you ready for the Desert War? - 5/19/2017 3:41:02 PM   
Saint Ruth

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arinvald

Very excited for this game! I have waited for a successor to the old Avalon Hill/Atomic V4V/W@W series for over two decades. I still have the disks for all those old games but they are next to impossible to play on new OS and impossible to play for email. Instant buy for me. WEGO is the only way to go for this level of combat; especially in such a fluid type of combat. Only question at the moment is will NATO counters be an option? I have always preferred NATO over silhouette.

Yep, I loved those Crusader and Stalingrad games too!
And yes, you can choose either NATO or silhouettes.

(in reply to sol_invictus)
Post #: 40
RE: Are you ready for the Desert War? - 5/19/2017 3:42:22 PM   
Saint Ruth

quote:

ORIGINAL: 76mm

Thanks Brian, sounds really awesome! I will definitely pick this one up, finally, after all this time!

Also, I think we discussed this at one point, but I've forgotten--is it possible to edit save game files, to allow for use of this game as a operational layer for a tactical wargame?

Yes, indeed, though for hotseat games only.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 41
RE: Are you ready for the Desert War? - 5/19/2017 3:46:22 PM   
Saint Ruth

quote:

ORIGINAL: James Crowley
However, from a purely theoretical viewpoint, how easy/hard/desirable would it be to have a feature whereby units could become 'lost' and be temporarily out of the control (or even sight) of the player?

A sort of fog or war for ones own units? An interesting idea all right, but perhaps could get a bit frustrating for the player?
As you say, the C&C Delay sort of simulates that, as units might not do what they're told, but you'll still know where they are. Not sure about having units "dissappear" for a turn, though as you say, that's probably more realistic, as once battle was joined, fog of war affected both sides.

(in reply to jamespcrowley)
Post #: 42
RE: Are you ready for the Desert War? - 5/19/2017 6:57:25 PM   
76mm

quote:

Yes, indeed, though for hotseat games only.

Awesome news, thanks!

(in reply to Saint Ruth)
Post #: 43
RE: Are you ready for the Desert War? - 5/19/2017 10:39:56 PM   
Bladesss

Looks good. Scenario list is good, would like to see larger campaign. The editor sounds powerful

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 44
RE: Are you ready for the Desert War? - 5/20/2017 10:58:34 AM   
Gargoyl

A definite YES! on this one. Wish I had time for the beta but my job is keeping me busy until summer is under way. I also love that the game is wego.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 45
RE: Are you ready for the Desert War? - 5/20/2017 9:14:01 PM   
rickier65

Saint Ruth.

I'm looking forward to this.

Thanks
rick

(in reply to Gargoyl)
Post #: 46
RE: Are you ready for the Desert War? - 5/21/2017 2:03:04 AM   
Christolos

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bladess

Looks good. Scenario list is good, would like to see larger campaign. The editor sounds powerful

+1 on the larger/full campaign option!

Is this something that is being considered? Would be totally awesome!

C

“Excellence is never an accident. It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, and intelligent execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives - choice, not chance, determines your destiny.”

-Aristotle-

(in reply to Bladesss)
Post #: 47
RE: Are you ready for the Desert War? - 5/23/2017 8:56:07 PM   
pzgndr

quote:

ORIGINAL: Franciscus
I see the unit's scale is small, Battalions / Companies / Platoons. I haven't tried the "free version", and I rather prefer operational level wargames, (like DC:B) although I also enjoy squad level games (ToTH)

I am rather intrigued how the gameplay will be, at the battalion level with such relatively large scale map and what appears (by one of the screenshots) three turns per day...?

Sad it does not have a grand campaign scenario, but for that I will wait for TOAWIV and also wait for the completion of Schwerpunkt's WWIIE North Africa scenario (Naval AI still almost inactive...)

I am also interested in seeing how these scenarios play out with WEGO, almost like Campaigns on the Danube which is good.

For potentially larger campaign scenario(s), are any planned? Would the game editor allow players to create larger scale campaigns, such as a re-creation of the classic AH Afrika Korps boardgame? That would be nice. Looking forward to trying Desert War.

(in reply to Franciscus)
Post #: 48
RE: Are you ready for the Desert War? - 5/24/2017 9:24:21 PM   
Saint Ruth

quote:

I am also interested in seeing how these scenarios play out with WEGO, almost like Campaigns on the Danube which is good.

For potentially larger campaign scenario(s), are any planned? Would the game editor allow players to create larger scale campaigns, such as a re-creation of the classic AH Afrika Korps boardgame? That would be nice. Looking forward to trying Desert War.

Hi, no there's no campaign game (as in a series of linked scenarios like in Panzer General etc).
The largest scenario is 2 weeks long (41 turns, 3 turns per day).
For the editor, you can select any turn length, from 3 turns a day to weekly or monthly turns.
You can also have units from platoons to Regiments to Divisions, but the difference between a Platoon and an Army is arbitrary as units are just abstracted Attack / Defense / Move / Quality etc values. You can also set the hex stacking limit, and the stacking size of different units etc. And the game will have contain big map covering most of Libya and Egypt (covering all the areas where battles were fought between 1940-42 excluding Tunisia).
So yes, if you wanted to, you could create such a scenario and you'd not need to do a map, but as we've been concentrating on Battalion and lower sized scenarios, so for that level it's missing some things, e.g. creating Fortifications etc.

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 49
RE: Are you ready for the Desert War? - 5/25/2017 1:31:43 PM   
Hexagon

Ummm in game you cant create fortifications... do you refer to permanet defesive positions like in Tobruk or Gazala line or units can entrench improving their defensive value when stay time in same hex???

A solution could be give the engenier units the ability to create them using ammo+fuel to pay creation of fortifications (you need a specific unit + resources) or simple paying ammo+fuel and buying a bunker for an hex.

(in reply to Saint Ruth)
Post #: 50
RE: Are you ready for the Desert War? - 5/25/2017 3:47:24 PM   
Saint Ruth

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hexagon
game you cant create fortifications... do you refer to permanet defesive positions like in Tobruk or Gazala line or units can entrench improving their defensive value when stay time in same hex???

A solution could be give the engenier units the ability to create them using ammo+fuel to pay creation of fortifications (you need a specific unit + resources) or simple paying ammo+fuel and buying a bunker for an hex.

Yes, there's Forts, Entrenchments and Mines (which can be Breached).
Sure, we were considering that, but as creating Forts wouldn't be possible in time-scale we've choosen (battalions/3 turns per day), it isn't in the game.

(in reply to Hexagon)
Post #: 51
RE: Are you ready for the Desert War? - 5/25/2017 6:07:18 PM   
Hexagon

Its true that time scale for the scens offered prevent the creation of heavy defensive lines but you can allways play with the value of them.

I refer you can define the fortification as something you can build BUT you define the defensive value and time to build it (+ resources and units needed) related with scen... i imagine units can increase their defensive value when you dont move them or even they can build campaign defensive positions (something like Tiller´s improved and trench that units can build) but something between trench and fort could be possible sometimes trenches evolve to be something stronger and better planned for a WWI style combat.

Apart that you can with this use them in longer scens if somebody create a full Africa scen or try a WWI scen.

(in reply to Saint Ruth)
Post #: 52
RE: Are you ready for the Desert War? - 5/25/2017 11:59:16 PM   
pzgndr

quote:

For the editor, you can select any turn length, from 3 turns a day to weekly or monthly turns.
You can also have units from platoons to Regiments to Divisions...
So yes, if you wanted to, you could create such a scenario

This is encouraging. It remains to be seen how your WEGO game mechanics and AI scripting would work for a larger operational-scale scenario, but there's potential.

quote:

Sure, we were considering that, but as creating Forts wouldn't be possible in time-scale we've chosen (battalions/3 turns per day), it isn't in the game.

Perhaps this could be reconsidered for a post-release enhancement, to support potentially larger scenarios? In the case of the AH Afrika Korps game, Tobruk and its fortifications are only one hex and this may not matter. Sorry, I'm still old-school enough to want a relatively simple, fast-playing North Africa campaign game. This might work OK with your editor. But again, I'm also looking forward to the smaller scale battle scenarios and WEGO implementation. Should be good!

(in reply to Saint Ruth)
Post #: 53
RE: Are you ready for the Desert War? - 5/26/2017 12:46:51 PM   
Saint Ruth

quote:

i imagine units can increase their defensive value when you dont move them or even they can build campaign defensive positions (something like Tiller´s improved and trench that units can build)

Yes, that's right. Units automatically "dig in" if they don't move.

(in reply to Hexagon)
Post #: 54
RE: Are you ready for the Desert War? - 5/26/2017 12:50:40 PM   
Saint Ruth

quote:

Perhaps this could be reconsidered for a post-release enhancement, to support potentially larger scenarios? In the case of the AH Afrika Korps game, Tobruk and its fortifications are only one hex and this may not matter. Sorry, I'm still old-school enough to want a relatively simple, fast-playing North Africa campaign game. This might work OK with your editor. But again, I'm also looking forward to the smaller scale battle scenarios and WEGO implementation. Should be good!

Sure, we can look at it in future. Add an extra function (there's already a function to Breach Mines) to Combat Engineers to "Create Fortification" and if let "on" for several turns will increase the fortification level of a hex from none -> Entrenchment -> Fort.
Could also add a "lay mines" function too, though more difficult to show as mines can be laid on any of the 6 hexsides.
But yep, it's now on the list of Future Improvements!
Thanks,
Brian

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 55
RE: Are you ready for the Desert War? - 5/27/2017 7:51:15 PM   
Hexagon

Well, have it is not the same as use it... but is not the first game, even with lower scale, where you can create "heavy" defensive works... for example Tiller´s PzC, not a lot years ago add the option for engeniers to improve a trench to bunker... is controlled by a parameter, the chance is very low but with enough of them and turn by turn... is possible do it... same to the ability to lay minefields... but not all the engenier units (some can lay bridge, other are more orientated to combat and remove-create minefiels and have a very limite use to ferry units when are rivers present).

The value of have engine supporting this is create scens more operational if you want... one turn several days, to cover bigger actions in time instead more "tactical" focused.

I think this title with custom scens behind improve sells and help explore other uses for engine... not only inside WWII

(in reply to Saint Ruth)
Post #: 56
RE: Are you ready for the Desert War? - 6/3/2017 12:44:57 PM   
Gribeauval

Hi Saint Ruth

what is your opinion of the Artificial Intelligence of the game ?
When the free version of this game was available, you said that it was difficult to create the AI. Did you work again on it ? did you succeed in improving it ?

Regards.

(in reply to Hexagon)
Post #: 57
RE: Are you ready for the Desert War? - 6/3/2017 6:28:29 PM   
xj900uk

Will there be a campaign option or extended scenario covering the whole period eventually?

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 58
RE: Are you ready for the Desert War? - 6/6/2017 10:06:13 AM   
Saint Ruth

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gribeauval

Hi Saint Ruth

what is your opinion of the Artificial Intelligence of the game ?
When the free version of this game was available, you said that it was difficult to create the AI. Did you work again on it ? did you succeed in improving it ?

Regards.

Hi, yes indeed, we've been working a lot on the AI. It's very much improved and during beta hopefully we'll keep on improving it!

(in reply to Gribeauval)
Post #: 59
RE: Are you ready for the Desert War? - 6/6/2017 10:06:53 AM   
Saint Ruth

quote:

ORIGINAL: xj900uk

Will there be a campaign option or extended scenario covering the whole period eventually?

We'll see how this goes first. For the future, who knows!

(in reply to xj900uk)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Desert War 1940 - 1942 >> RE: Are you ready for the Desert War? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI