Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

New indie naval game Cold Waters

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> New indie naval game Cold Waters Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New indie naval game Cold Waters - 9/29/2016 5:01:22 PM   
hellfish6

I usually refrain from promoting other games, but I figure it's different enough from Command to not be uncouth, but a lot of people here might be keen on it.

Cold Waters, on Steam Greenlight. by the guys that did the excellent Atlantic Fleet and Pacific Fleet.

Bills itself as a spiritual successor to Red Storm Rising, which I've never played. I get the impression that you control a Los Angeles class sub in WWIII.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=770691721

Dat Moskva:

Apologies if I'm being tacky. Please delete if I am.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by hellfish6 -- 9/29/2016 5:04:37 PM >

Post #: 1
RE: New indie naval game Cold Waters - 9/29/2016 5:33:55 PM   
mikmykWS

Wow nice looking game. Loved Atlantic and Pacific fleet if its the games I'm thinking of.

Mobile?

Mike

< Message edited by mikmyk -- 9/29/2016 5:36:58 PM >

(in reply to hellfish6)
Post #: 2
RE: New indie naval game Cold Waters - 9/29/2016 6:30:58 PM   
hellfish6

PC only so far.

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 3
RE: New indie naval game Cold Waters - 9/29/2016 11:21:07 PM   
ColonelMolerat

I've not played the precursors, but I was reading the details of this on Steam.

I'm curious! I really like Dangerous Waters, and was wishing for a modernised version - this sounds like it'll be more simplified, which I'm not totally fond of. I like my games slow, complex and boring! All the same, as long as it isn't too arcadey, it could be good fun. Definitely going to keep an eye on it.

(in reply to hellfish6)
Post #: 4
RE: New indie naval game Cold Waters - 9/29/2016 11:37:59 PM   
HalfLifeExpert

Voted yes for it. Then i realized something that makes me want to vote yes again if i could. I thought it was a Cold War Hot version of Atlantic Fleet, but it is as Sub Sim. YES!!!! There hasnt been a proper modern sub simulator in over a decade! This is a dream come true!

(in reply to ColonelMolerat)
Post #: 5
RE: New indie naval game Cold Waters - 9/30/2016 12:06:32 AM   
ColonelMolerat

They've mentioned that it's not as complex as Dangerous Waters though (in the Steam discussions). Auto-TMA and things like that. It sounds like Dangerous Waters with auto-staff on, and more focus on the larger tactics than working the sonar, etc. Could be a lot of fun all the same!

(in reply to HalfLifeExpert)
Post #: 6
RE: New indie naval game Cold Waters - 9/30/2016 3:08:47 AM   
magi

Interesting.....

Post #: 7
RE: New indie naval game Cold Waters - 9/30/2016 5:42:54 AM   
HalfLifeExpert

quote:

ORIGINAL: ColonelMolerat

They've mentioned that it's not as complex as Dangerous Waters though (in the Steam discussions). Auto-TMA and things like that. It sounds like Dangerous Waters with auto-staff on, and more focus on the larger tactics than working the sonar, etc. Could be a lot of fun all the same!

That can be a good thing or a bad thing. I have played Dangerous Waters and 688I Hunter/Killer on my current laptop, I hope this will run, but while the depth of those (no pun intended) are great, It can get in the way of actually effectively commanding your sub in a war situation.

I think that in some ways games that take an approach like Cold Waters are more realistic, as the captian of a real submarine probably is not concerned a whole lot about the little details of the Sonar and such, that's why there are the highly trained Sonar techs. But I always thought that a Submarine simulator could actually be a pretty awesome multiplayer (especially LAN Party) co-op experience, with each player controlling a key station against AI targets.

< Message edited by HalfLifeExpert -- 9/30/2016 5:45:18 AM >

Post #: 8
RE: New indie naval game Cold Waters - 9/30/2016 7:00:52 AM   
Dysta

For me, I prefer total control of an entire fleet, with micromanagement inside the commanding ship. Like the game "Destroyer", sister of Silent Hunter series.

Post #: 9
RE: New indie naval game Cold Waters - 9/30/2016 11:00:01 AM   
Zaslon

Thanks for the HU.

Kids think about Iran and Amateurs think about Russia, but professionals think about China

(in reply to Dysta)
Post #: 10
RE: New indie naval game Cold Waters - 9/30/2016 2:26:45 PM   
ColonelMolerat

quote:

ORIGINAL: HalfLifeExpert

That can be a good thing or a bad thing. I have played Dangerous Waters and 688I Hunter/Killer on my current laptop, I hope this will run, but while the depth of those (no pun intended) are great, It can get in the way of actually effectively commanding your sub in a war situation.

I think that in some ways games that take an approach like Cold Waters are more realistic, as the captian of a real submarine probably is not concerned a whole lot about the little details of the Sonar and such, that's why there are the highly trained Sonar techs. But I always thought that a Submarine simulator could actually be a pretty awesome multiplayer (especially LAN Party) co-op experience, with each player controlling a key station against AI targets.

You're right - I have enough trouble working out the sonar in Dangerous Waters to ever get very close to firing on something, let alone paying much attention to tactics! I think I'm particularly attracted to Dangerous Waters because it's a puzzle that I'd never really known about; I came to it with no idea of how sonar stations actually work (beyond how sonar itself works).

Your point about co-op is interesting - you can do that in Dangerous Waters, but there's no way to speed up time, so unless you can find a group of friends with a desire to learn sonar and 12 hours to spare, you're not going to get very far!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dysta

For me, I prefer total control of an entire fleet, with micromanagement inside the commanding ship. Like the game "Destroyer", sister of Silent Hunter series.

I've never heard of that game, sounds interesting. It's a shame that there don't seem to be as many big, complex games being released these days. The naval (and flight-sim) genre needs a resurgence, I'm sure I remember playing lots of ship games as a child, even though I didn't really understand them.

Post #: 11
RE: New indie naval game Cold Waters - 9/30/2016 2:50:10 PM   
Dysta

quote:

ORIGINAL: ColonelMolerat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Dysta

I've never heard of that game, sounds interesting. It's a shame that there don't seem to be as many big, complex games being released these days. The naval (and flight-sim) genre needs a resurgence, I'm sure I remember playing lots of ship games as a child, even though I didn't really understand them.

I found the actual name, it's "Destroyer Command". Funny that I've never touch any Silent Killer series though.

Imagine it as a WW2 style Fleet Command mixed with Ship Simulator, you are the commander to lead how your convey ships move to mission and engage hostile planes, ships and subs, while you can also take control of helm, weapons, sonar and even the engine compartment. And you have your own quarter as well!

Too bad it's for US destroyer to be playable only, and playing the small skirmish instead of large scale naval combat. But I love how it was thoughtfully made in 2001.

The best fun part is the multiplayer, from destroyer duel, to coop-mission with "Silent Hunter 2" player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HywPSdLWuL4 (short gameplay)

Post #: 12
RE: New indie naval game Cold Waters - 9/30/2016 3:52:08 PM   
hellfish6

I still have Destroyer Command. It's super dated, obviously, but there's nothing else like it.

(in reply to Dysta)
Post #: 13
RE: New indie naval game Cold Waters - 9/30/2016 5:41:28 PM   
bromstarzan

Looking good. Would vote for it if Steam quit asking and sending login codes every time I use my browser.
Destroyer command is a fantstic game I still play from time to time, along with Dangeorous Waters.

(in reply to hellfish6)
Post #: 14
RE: New indie naval game Cold Waters - 9/30/2016 6:23:41 PM   
HalfLifeExpert

Also, I think it would be pretty awesome if they implemented voice commands. It would be very fun to have a sub sim where you can issue orders with your voice instead of clicking.....

"Come Left 40 Degrees!",

"Make your depth 270 feet!"

"Target Tubes 1 and 3 at Contact Sierra 21",

"Firing Point Procedures Tubes 1 and 3"

"Fire Tubes 1 and 3!"

"Launch Countermeasures Starboard Side!"

That would be so fun. I know they are a small indie dev, but it would be so cool if they added that at some point, I would even pay a little money for it.

(in reply to bromstarzan)
Post #: 15
RE: New indie naval game Cold Waters - 9/30/2016 8:33:41 PM   
kevinkins

You forgot:
"up periscope !"
"down periscope !!!"
and the obligatory ...
"dive dive dive!!!"

Post #: 16
RE: New indie naval game Cold Waters - 9/30/2016 10:11:08 PM   
gosnold

Dangerous Waters does just that. And it works quite well.

Post #: 17
RE: New indie naval game Cold Waters - 9/30/2016 11:19:19 PM   
Rory Noonan

quote:

Also, I think it would be pretty awesome if they implemented voice commands. It would be very fun to have a sub sim where you can issue orders with your voice instead of clicking.....

"Come Left 40 Degrees!",

"Fire Tubes 1 and 3!"

That would be so fun. I know they are a small indie dev, but it would be so cool if they added that at some point, I would even pay a little money for it.

Or, in my experience-- "Come left 40 degrees... come left 40 degrees. COME LEFT 40 DEGREES. COME. LEFT. 40. DEGREES." ... *click click click*

Post #: 18
RE: New indie naval game Cold Waters - 10/1/2016 9:46:27 PM   
magi

quote:

"Come Left 40 Degrees!",

"Fire Tubes 1 and 3!"

Yes indeed.....

Post #: 19
RE: New indie naval game Cold Waters - 10/5/2016 6:23:38 PM   
HalfLifeExpert

It has been Greenlighted!!!!! The wait begins........

(in reply to magi)
Post #: 20
RE: New indie naval game Cold Waters - 10/9/2016 5:03:22 AM   
juanchopancho

Oh sweet it got greenlighted! I played Red Storm Rising years ago on the Commodore 64. Great game, very tense atmosphere with the news snippets about WWIII.

Post #: 21
RE: New indie naval game Cold Waters - 10/9/2016 10:08:11 AM   
Sardaukar

quote:

ORIGINAL: juancho

Oh sweet it got greenlighted! I played Red Storm Rising years ago on the Commodore 64. Great game, very tense atmosphere with the news snippets about WWIII.

I actually broke my C64 joystick while trying desperately to avoid Soviet torpedo in RSR. Of course it had been well-used in other game called Elite.

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to juanchopancho)
Post #: 22
RE: New indie naval game Cold Waters - 10/9/2016 3:34:44 PM   
stilesw

Sardaukar,

Brings back memories! I played both Red Storm Rising and Elite (+many, many others) on my Apple IIe. Luckily I didn't break the joystick though. Still have the IIe and it works fine albeit it's very slooooow and low res by today's standard.

-Wayne Stiles

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 23
RE: New indie naval game Cold Waters - 10/9/2016 8:09:35 PM   
wild_Willie2

First thing to buy in Elite: Automatic docking computer.....

I played a version without having the manual and as the anti copy protection consisted of asking for a certain word in a certain position within the game manual (e.g. second word, third paragraph, page 5), I had to type in the word "the" multiple times before being able to play...

W.

In vinum illic est sapientia , in matera illic est vires , in aqua illic es bacteria.

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there are bacteria.

(in reply to stilesw)
Post #: 24
RE: New indie naval game Cold Waters - 10/10/2016 11:00:01 PM   
stilesw

No manual - now that would have been tough. Some of those early protection schemes, like Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe's decode wheel, made it pretty much impossible to play without the in-box manual. Unless you were really good at cracking the on-disk protection. Needed a good hex-editor and software grounding to do so.

-Wayne Stiles

(in reply to wild_Willie2)
Post #: 25
RE: New indie naval game Cold Waters - 6/5/2017 6:07:15 PM   
temkc5

Hello everyone it is now on sale!!!

Happy days

Non mihi, Non tibi, Sed nobis

(in reply to stilesw)
Post #: 26
RE: New indie naval game Cold Waters - 6/5/2017 6:57:04 PM   
HalfLifeExpert

Yeah I just got it, ive put over 2 hours into it so far. I am really enjoying it so far.

(in reply to temkc5)
Post #: 27
RE: New indie naval game Cold Waters - 6/6/2017 12:21:20 PM   
Cik

it seems alright. i'm having a lot of fun. i wish there were more to the strategic layer, but the actual combat is a really good time.

i hope they continue developing it and add some more simulation features though. granted i'm not a sub guy so i don't know exactly how realistic it is. but my guess is: not that realistic.

unfortunately (fortunately?) it models nuke subs and i'd guess that the nuke subs that were made in the early 60s are still so classified that asking what color the interior paint is gets you a stony face from the navy.

but ah well, i'm having a blast anyway.

Post #: 28
RE: New indie naval game Cold Waters - 6/6/2017 4:11:47 PM   
CassioM

I loved this game. I am playing all day on my free time alongside with CMANO

As a submarine simulations fan, I loved Red Storm Rising. Now I'm addicted to this new game. Nice graphics, nice soundtrack, nice simulation.

My only suggestion. BUY THIS GAME GUYS! AND THE SOUNDTRACK TOO!

The Killerfish Games developers deserve our money by developing this pearl of submarine simulations.

One of the best surprises of 2017 without doubt.

(in reply to Cik)
Post #: 29
RE: New indie naval game Cold Waters - 6/6/2017 4:42:51 PM   
Cik

yeah i admire anyone who's willing to make anything for these underappreciated genres. we may actually be in the middle of a simulation renaissance thank goodness. 2002-2012~ was a real desert.

(in reply to CassioM)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> New indie naval game Cold Waters Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI