Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Dumb question about Windows 10

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Dumb question about Windows 10 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Dumb question about Windows 10 - 6/14/2017 1:57:08 PM   
jwolf

Q is not about actual use of the Windows 10 OS, but rather why did they do it? I personally have only a little experience with it, but it seems very confusing and disorienting. Nobody in my family likes it. In fact, I haven't heard of anyone who does, although I admit I haven't looked very hard.

So here's the dumb question. What is so good about Windows 10 that the Microsoft execs looked at it and said "YES!! Let's do it!!"
Post #: 1
RE: Dumb question about Windows 10 - 6/14/2017 2:33:41 PM   
cpdeyoung

As with any change, anything new, you probably want to get some experience with it before judging.

For me the OS is stable, secure, with a desktop mode I find totally comfortable. You will not find many people posting "Golly, I just love Windows 10". This does not mean we do not like it.

In my opinion it is easily the best OS Microsoft ever wrote. It works, and I think you will grow into it, and be pleased.

Chuck

(in reply to jwolf)
Post #: 2
RE: Dumb question about Windows 10 - 6/14/2017 3:11:12 PM   
PipFromSlitherine

A quick google will provide many articles which explain how to relatively simply make the experience almost identical to W7 etc.

Cheers

Pip

follow me on Twitter here

(in reply to cpdeyoung)
Post #: 3
RE: Dumb question about Windows 10 - 6/14/2017 3:18:36 PM   
Qwixt

Windows 8 was the truly perplexing version. Windows 10 is a good OS. These days everything is into this telemetry info, and ad targeting. It's in nvidia drivers now. But you can still turn all that stuff off. Backward compatibility is very good with win10. Like win 8, it's geared to handle all devices, phones, tablets, desktops, and it does desktop better than win 8, as MS learned their lesson on that.

I think most of the complaints you have heard are from the people that think everyone is after their data and that they are being spied upon personally. Never mind that it can all be turned off. Also, Win 10 is trying to push their store, which can be ignored or turned off. There are quite a few things to be annoyed with in Win 10, but it's nowhere as bad as the tin foil hat nuts make it out to be.

As far as forced updates goes, MS was tired of wasting money on support for people that have no clue on how to keep a computer updated. But as in all things in software development, updating and upgrading code cannot be done perfectly without error. So sometimes the patches need patches. I have not experienced anything truly breaking, or even noticeable beyond the update to WDDM 2.1 while drivers caught up. That instance was probably more about AMD screwing up their drivers.

So if you truly hate it, feel free to get some apple crap or use linux. Linux is super easy these days to set up for non-gaming.

(in reply to cpdeyoung)
Post #: 4
RE: Dumb question about Windows 10 - 6/14/2017 3:35:05 PM   
wesy

***Disclosure - I'm a Microsoft employee - all opinions are mine***

I run Win10 every day all day, but I guess that I'm stating the obvious since I work there. However, I have to agree it's the best version of Windows ever IMHO and I've used Windows since Windows 2.11 (which wasn't a lot of fun ;))

It's important to remember that Win10 gets updated often from a feature and security perspective. When Win7/XP were developed, the threat vectors/world were very different in 2006-9 or 1998-2001 for XP.

http://www.pcmag.com/article/352705/the-coolest-features-in-windows-10-creators-update

"I ran into Isosceles. He had a great idea for a new triangle!"...Woody Allen

(in reply to cpdeyoung)
Post #: 5
RE: Dumb question about Windows 10 - 6/14/2017 4:08:53 PM   
Alan Sharif

I can only say I agree with the post's above. W10 is a great stable system. Do I love it? No. Would I change to something else? No.

A Sharif

(in reply to wesy)
Post #: 6
RE: Dumb question about Windows 10 - 6/14/2017 4:36:47 PM   
durangokid

Is there any other operating system that all the stuff on my computer will happily work with? I got the latest Windows 10 for free and they regularly keep it updated. What's to complain about?

(in reply to Alan Sharif)
Post #: 7
RE: Dumb question about Windows 10 - 6/14/2017 5:22:06 PM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwolf

Q is not about actual use of the Windows 10 OS, but rather why did they do it? I personally have only a little experience with it, but it seems very confusing and disorienting. Nobody in my family likes it. In fact, I haven't heard of anyone who does, although I admit I haven't looked very hard.

So here's the dumb question. What is so good about Windows 10 that the Microsoft execs looked at it and said "YES!! Let's do it!!"

I personally saw very little difference between windows 7 and windows 10. Other than windows 10 was free.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.

(in reply to jwolf)
Post #: 8
RE: Dumb question about Windows 10 - 6/14/2017 6:00:37 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Qwixt

I think most of the complaints you have heard are from the people that think everyone is after their data and that they are being spied upon personally. Never mind that it can all be turned off. Also, Win 10 is trying to push their store, which can be ignored or turned off. There are quite a few things to be annoyed with in Win 10, but it's nowhere as bad as the tin foil hat nuts make it out to be.

When Windows XP was still a thing and Service Pack 2 introduced Windows Firewall, good number of people wrote to forums Windows Firewall makes some problems with use of other software. Their solution was to uninstall SP2 and everything that came with it. My solution was to turn off Windows Firewall

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to Qwixt)
Post #: 9
RE: Dumb question about Windows 10 - 6/15/2017 8:18:55 AM   
demyansk

It's better than using the Commodore 64 from 35 years ago. It works with everything I throw at it. Better than Vista and just as good as 7. I just play games and read the news.

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 10
RE: Dumb question about Windows 10 - 6/15/2017 9:20:54 AM   
Red2112

It´s alot better then Windows 3.11

Seriously, it´s stable, dose most stuff for you in the background, manages resources better then older versions, and most important, it´s there last version meaning W10 is here to stay till hell freezes over At least that what I have red. It´s almost the same as W7 once you get used to it, it´s even easier to use then older versions.

(in reply to demyansk)
Post #: 11
RE: Dumb question about Windows 10 - 6/15/2017 1:10:07 PM   
jwolf

Thanks for all the comments. I'm getting old and I generally don't like change. That's life. I'll make my peace with Windows 10 ... eventually.

(in reply to Red2112)
Post #: 12
RE: Dumb question about Windows 10 - 6/15/2017 1:57:34 PM   
E

quote:

ORIGINAL: durangokid
I got the latest Windows 10 for free and they regularly keep it updated.

Why do you think MS did that?

"Beware of Greeks bearing gifts" - Virgil
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

"Lose" is the opposite of "win." "Loose" is the opposite of "tight."

Friends Don't Let Friends Facebook.

Twitter is for... (wait for it!) ...Twits!

(in reply to durangokid)
Post #: 13
RE: Dumb question about Windows 10 - 6/15/2017 4:55:31 PM   
zakblood

windows 10 is great, also agree with some comments above about it being the best so far released

but like almost every section in the screenshot posted, to me and others to make it better, you also need to know how to use it, and what to turn off by default, i show you this page, as from the camera at the top right down to the bottom, i've turned them all off, as for me, there not needed, for you, see what you do use and what you don't, and tbh even if it's turned off, doesn't stop it from working, just maybe takes a fraction longer to work when or if needed, but uses less resources the rest of the time, so all off, and it then lets me use windows, how i wish it to be, not with all the stuff i don't need or want to be run or each and every boot, so quite a bit of free clutter but as easy as a tick to turn off, learn and use windows 10 how you wish to use it, not by default running, this is for sure, unless you careless that is

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by zakblood -- 6/15/2017 4:59:55 PM >

(in reply to E)
Post #: 14
RE: Dumb question about Windows 10 - 6/15/2017 5:15:55 PM   
Aurelian

quote:

ORIGINAL: zakblood

windows 10 is great, also agree with some comments above about it being the best so far released

but like almost every section in the screenshot posted, to me and others to make it better, you also need to know how to use it, and what to turn off by default, i show you this page, as from the camera at the top right down to the bottom, i've turned them all off, as for me, there not needed, for you, see what you do use and what you don't, and tbh even if it's turned off, doesn't stop it from working, just maybe takes a fraction longer to work when or if needed, but uses less resources the rest of the time, so all off, and it then lets me use windows, how i wish it to be, not with all the stuff i don't need or want to be run or each and every boot, so quite a bit of free clutter but as easy as a tick to turn off, learn and use windows 10 how you wish to use it, not by default running, this is for sure, unless you careless that is

If the Earth was flat, cats would of knocked everything off of it long ago.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 15
RE: Dumb question about Windows 10 - 6/15/2017 6:15:28 PM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: E

quote:

Because they could. It's what is known in retail as a loss leader. It's a product sold at a loss to attract customers.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.

(in reply to E)
Post #: 16
RE: Dumb question about Windows 10 - 6/15/2017 7:10:00 PM   
durangokid

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: E

quote:

Because they could. It's what is known in retail as a loss leader. It's a product sold at a loss to attract customers.

Because they like me

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 17
RE: Dumb question about Windows 10 - 6/15/2017 7:32:54 PM   
Mobius

Win 10 is just awful. From setting up multiple users to mail it to its hieroglyphics.
Changing the user name will cause any protected file created by that user name to be untouchable by the new user name or any other.
Still 'Delete' is right next to 'rename' in the file change menu. There is no safety if you miss clicking rename at this point.
Where is the junk mail folder?
Plus new software you supposedly have from MS needs you to log into the cloud with your email address and needs a password.

All your Tanks are Belong to us!
panzer

(in reply to durangokid)
Post #: 18
RE: Dumb question about Windows 10 - 6/15/2017 7:47:11 PM   
zakblood

setting up multiple users

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17197/windows-10-set-up-accounts

easy as 123

mail, either one or multiple accounts

https://www.howtogeek.com/232277/how-to-set-up-and-customize-email-accounts-in-windows-10/

Where is the junk mail folder in windows 10?

https://support.office.com/en-gb/article/How-do-I-empty-a-folder-in-Mail-for-Windows-10-d34a216f-4c40-46d5-b9c8-d93bf981a378

windows 10 cloud / onedrive all in one password sign in

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17201/windows-10-sign-in-with-a-microsoft-account

while it may be new and baffling to some and all most days, there's more right than wrong than any previous version of windows released and most if not all stuff is gettings fixed sooner and updates seems to be coming out more often as well as the overall numbers keep growing

https://news.microsoft.com/bythenumbers/windows-ten

400 million and growing, and expecting to reach 1 billion soon, (the 400 bit is old data mind you now)

< Message edited by zakblood -- 6/15/2017 7:51:37 PM >

(in reply to Mobius)
Post #: 19
RE: Dumb question about Windows 10 - 6/15/2017 8:01:42 PM   
wings7

Thanks Zak!

Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 20
RE: Dumb question about Windows 10 - 6/15/2017 8:25:10 PM   
zakblood

no problem, while most think i'm a M/S fan or boy anyway, i'm 50 in a few weeks, making me too old to be a fan anyway, and tbh i tested windows 10 a few years in one version or another before it came out, and i also slated it in my area's way before release and most if not all got fixed in the end, well before it went gold, and tbh the version that's out now is nothing like the one that first came out, what seems like ages ago now, for me advice on windows 10 falls into 2 kinds.

is it an upgrade from a previous version kind of question

or did what you did or are trying to do work any better in any other version of windows previous to windows 10 any version, but not an older build of windows 10 etc.

advice tends to be the same,

a clean install of windows 10, latest version is always better than any updated or upgraded version.

drivers need to be the latest, apps and programs need to be compatible, for windows itself to be stable, if it's not or there not, how do you expect windows to behave?

most errors in windows 10 are apps and programs that are too old and haven't been updated in years, same as hardware and software drivers etc.

windows 10 on the latest hardware works better than on 10 year old stuff, it's simple, if you need it to work 24/7 then don't use old tech, you don't buy a new car and fit 10 year old tyres unless you are after headaches, those who have tended to stick with windows vista and xp, have technowledge also from around the same date, it has nothing to do with learning new stuff, it's either money or why change what still works, and i totally agree with you this, also use some 7 to 8 year old tech still myself

if it works keep it, if it does what you want it to do, keep it, if it's broke or doesn't, update and replace.

i'm only interested in a gaming platform, don't want a all singing all dancing does everything type of O/S, just want it to be stable and work, and so far, this is the one for me, when it changes, i'll be the first to drop it, loved win2k, found windows xp to be a pleasure, was even happy with Vista and windows ME, but when win 7 and 8 came out, again i updated and moved with the times, love the way the parts of NT4 was brought in, as that had a great user base and plenty of cool bits and once that was brought into everyone else's reach, windows as a gaming platform really took off imo, 8.1 was as stable as hell for me, but windows 10 was quicker to load, quicker to reinstall, and easier to setup how i liked it and imaged well with a small footprint for easy backup and reinstall across a network onto different hardware, i've installed more versions of windows 10 onto my 6 to 8 test pc's than any previous version of windows in such a short time, i've got it down atm to a SDD to SDD transfer and setup to less than 12mins from start to transfer to fully installed and setup, with data (which isn't touched as it's a secondary drive anyway, so it's just a 2 second job to take over shortcuts, so each and every new build gets a wipe once i find it stable.

windows xp as an example takes 30 to 45 mins to install and then update to the latest patch version, as no disk unless a home brew comes with all the updates for it, same is true with any other version, you can't say this with win 10, as every few months a new ISO gets released with another newer build of win10, making tech life's so much quicker and easier imo of course, many will disagree and that's also fine, as for all those who love it, same amount will never use it and hate it

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 21
RE: Dumb question about Windows 10 - 6/16/2017 2:07:46 PM   
cantona2

most stable version of windows to date

1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 22
RE: Dumb question about Windows 10 - 6/16/2017 2:42:19 PM   
Joe D.

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwolf

... So here's the dumb question. What is so good about Windows 10 that the Microsoft execs looked at it and said "YES!! Let's do it!!"

Win 10 was the solution to the failed fix of Win 8, which was Microsoft's ill-advised attempt to impose a tablet OS on desktops as well as mobile media.

But this then begs the question: Why did MS want everyone to use a tablet OS?

Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"The Angel of Okinawa"

Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II

(in reply to jwolf)
Post #: 23
RE: Dumb question about Windows 10 - 6/16/2017 2:45:33 PM   
Zap

If I understood correctly at some latter date you will have to pay a yearly fee? for updates.

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Dumb question about Windows 10 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI