Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How to tell if a unit is encircled and "ripe" for destruction?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> How to tell if a unit is encircled and "ripe" for destruction? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How to tell if a unit is encircled and "ripe"... - 6/18/2017 11:04:47 AM   
moose99

I have just started my offensive in Russia.
I have understood, that to avoid giving the opponent the possibility to buy back destroyed units at half price, you have to encircle them and cut off their supply before you wipe them out.
I am, however, not quite sure what exactly that entails.
I understand that I have to wait one turn before wiping out - destroying and encircling during the same turn will not do the trick.
But what if the encircled units are (partially) supplied from a town or port - even though I have them encircled?
Will they still be destroyed the hard way or do I need to starve them some more or close in further?
Is there perhaps some small button or icon I have missed that tells whether a unit is cut off and can therefor be destroyed forever?
That would be very useful :-)
Post #: 1
RE: How to tell if a unit is encircled and "ripe&q... - 6/18/2017 3:56:36 PM   
sPzAbt653

Land and air units that were destroyed in
combat while they had a supply value of 5 or
more can be repurchased at reduced cost and
with a shorter Production Delay.

When you mouse over an enemy unit that you are adjacent to, you will see its' Supply Value. If you destroy a unit with less than 5, that unit will cost full price to be rebuilt and will return after full Production Delay.

(in reply to moose99)
Post #: 2
RE: How to tell if a unit is encircled and "ripe&q... - 6/18/2017 6:24:07 PM   
Guderian1940

Sounds like a gamey tactic to me. That information should not be available to the enemy to be able to game results. A big problem with this game is that there are so many similar situations and issues.

These kind of things should be transparent and NOT allow savvy players to use them to the detriment of an opponent.

The game comes down to how expert you are to the game mechanics and not military soundness. Yes you need to learn the game mechanics to be successful.

I found out right off the bat that the principles of war do not apply for the most part in this game. I had to learn the nuances of the gamerather then apply known military tactics.

I must point out that improvements are being implemented via the updates. Thank the designers for that. A slow frustrating process I realize. Does not mean I won't vent.

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 3
RE: How to tell if a unit is encircled and "ripe&q... - 6/18/2017 6:43:56 PM   
crispy131313

Given that the turns are in multiple week cycles it makes sense that cutting off the stationary units supply doesn't take effect until the next turn, and generally unless the pocket is a Capital or a supply center you can generally assume bad supply has occurred if they were encircled the previous turn (you can always scout with Aircraft to see if a larger pocket has a HQ if you are not adjacent). However even if they are in supply, waiting to cut off supply before destroying units can cost you precious time in 1941, I would suggest just trying to push as far East as possible and never slowing down. USSR Corps/Armies are already cheaper then Germany anyways and these are mainly what you are facing in 1941.

(in reply to moose99)
Post #: 4
RE: How to tell if a unit is encircled and "ripe&q... - 6/19/2017 7:38:37 PM   
moose99

Aha - some good points here - thank you for that.
Yes, I read that passage in the manual too - but I wasn't sure exactly what it meant.
But I understand now that it literally means that any unit destroyed when it has less than 5 supply, cannot be re-bought at half price.
It does not matter whether you wait a turn or whether the unit is actually completely surrounded.

Crispy, very interesting that you recommend storming forward at all costs.
I am pretty sure I am in dire waters, now then.
I actually delayed my invasion untill August because my armies had taken their time mopping up in France - and I didn't want to pay the cost to have them operationally moved back to Poland.
Seems like I could very well be meeting the same fate as all the other poor sods who tried invading Russia...

(in reply to crispy131313)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> How to tell if a unit is encircled and "ripe" for destruction? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI