Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Problem with auto-investigating ruins....

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Problem with auto-investigating ruins.... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Problem with auto-investigating ruins.... - 6/23/2017 12:02:58 PM   
SeanThornton

Not sure if auto-investigating is the right term, but I'm talking about when an exploration ship finds some ruins (the three dots in a triangle symbol on the map). I started the game following the New Guys Newbie Guide, which turns off ALL automation, except this one setting. However, I just noticed that there were three systems with ruins which had not been auto-investigated. "Were", because right after I noticed, the third one was investigated, since the exploration ship was still in that system. Strangely, even though I have seven exploration ships, the only ruins on my map are in systems all explored by this same ship. So, any idea why the other two were not auto-investigated?

Post #: 1
RE: Problem with auto-investigating ruins.... - 6/23/2017 3:58:06 PM   
Aeson

Exploration ships have a tendency to ignore ruins on worlds whose resources have already been profiled in favor of surveying unexplored worlds. Upgrading your resource profile scanners and acquiring system maps by trading for or stealing galaxy maps, by purchasing system maps from pirates, or through the system maps ruin event will allow you to acquire survey data for a world without an exploration ship necessarily coming close enough to the world to explore any ruins which may be present. It is also possible that a bug or glitch prevented the investigation trigger from being tripped by your exploration ship.

(in reply to SeanThornton)
Post #: 2
RE: Problem with auto-investigating ruins.... - 6/23/2017 6:37:27 PM   
stuart3

"Exploration ships chart unknown areas of the galaxy. As they explore they reveal colonizable planets, uncover valuable resources and make contact with other empires. These ships have powerful resource detection sensors for discovering valuable minerals." - The Galactopedia.

This sums up all that an automated exploration ship will attempt to find in a system. Occasionally it's path will pass close enough to something else of interest for it to be to noticed, and you will get a message to that effect, but more often it will simply identify the geological resources and move on. It's not just ruins that won't be reported in that case. It also won't report abandoned ships and bases, debris fields, and ships or mining stations belonging to known AI controlled factions or pirates. And unlike the ruins, these items will not be visible if you inspect the system after your ship has left it.

I usually send my explorers to an unknown system with orders to explore that system only, which means that it ends it's mission there and I then give the system a quick once over before ordering the exploration ship to explore another system. This also lets me send my explorers on a reasonably efficient pattern of exploration rather than let the AI send them out on an inefficient zigzag path which it does if the explorers are automated.

< Message edited by stuart3 -- 6/23/2017 7:20:40 PM >

(in reply to Aeson)
Post #: 3
RE: Problem with auto-investigating ruins.... - 6/23/2017 8:37:41 PM   
SeanThornton

OK, thanks for the help. In regards to Stuart's response, if that's the case, then why have the setting to tell it to investigate ruins and report? Is it just bugged?

(in reply to stuart3)
Post #: 4
RE: Problem with auto-investigating ruins.... - 6/23/2017 9:07:26 PM   
stuart3

No, it's not bugged. It's just that explorers are designed to explore specifically for mineral and luxury resources. See the Galactopedia entry above. There is no mention of ruins in that. Explorers are not programmed to investigate ruins or ships. Any kind of ship will give you the same results as explorers with regard to ruins or ships. Or the same lack of results if they don't pass close enough to them. Even private sector ships will discover ruins occasionally, but you can't tell them where to go.

< Message edited by stuart3 -- 6/23/2017 10:10:20 PM >

Post #: 5
RE: Problem with auto-investigating ruins.... - 6/25/2017 7:38:16 PM   
Shark7

One other thing to keep in mind is that Exploration ships run at the first sign of trouble. Meaning they may move into a system, find a pirate or space monster there and quickly leave the system. This opens the system so you can see everything there, but since the Exploration Ship left in a hurry, the stuff didn't actually get explored.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to stuart3)
Post #: 6
RE: Problem with auto-investigating ruins.... - 7/4/2017 5:17:05 PM   
Kayoz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7

One other thing to keep in mind is that Exploration ships run at the first sign of trouble. Meaning they may move into a system, find a pirate or space monster there and quickly leave the system. This opens the system so you can see everything there, but since the Exploration Ship left in a hurry, the stuff didn't actually get explored.

Actually, it sounds like a VERY old bug that had the explorers scan a planet for resources but leave before exploring ruins. iirc, Elliot reduced the radius of the ruins scanning collider. If it is the same bug, there's nothing the player can do to prevent it. And going back to those unexplored ruins is tedious in the extreme.

“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 7
RE: Problem with auto-investigating ruins.... - 7/4/2017 6:59:12 PM   
Hattori Hanzo

again, it's not a bug: the explorers are designed to explore specifically for mineral and luxury resources.

from Galactopedia:

"Exploration ships chart unknown areas of the galaxy. As they explore they reveal colonizable planets, uncover valuable resources and make contact with other empires. These ships have powerful resource detection sensors for discovering valuable minerals."

< Message edited by Hattori Hanzo -- 7/4/2017 7:00:21 PM >

(in reply to Kayoz)
Post #: 8
RE: Problem with auto-investigating ruins.... - 7/4/2017 10:32:09 PM   
stuart3

The only thing that automated exploration ships do in a system that other ships don't do is to move around the system scanning the planets and asteroids with their resource sensors. If this results in them passing close enough to a ruin then you will be invited to investigate it. If they don't pass close to the ruin then that doesn't happen. As you research improvements to the Resource Profile Sensor, they identify the resources from further away. By the time you have researched Advance Resource Exploration (only the second improvement) the scanning range is so large that in all but the largest star systems explorers can identify resources from the middle of the system, which means that they don't pass close to any planet whether it has ruins or not.

The idea of explorers automatically closing in on planets with ruins may seem a good idea in the early game, but you won't want your explorers to automatically do it later in the game when some ruins are found to be patrolled by powerful pirate forces. In that situation it would become an automatic explorer suicide mission.

(in reply to Hattori Hanzo)
Post #: 9
RE: Problem with auto-investigating ruins.... - 7/6/2017 10:32:52 PM   
SirHoraceHarkness

Upgrading the scanner range will solve most of this as it will have a larger trigger radius so it can detect more stuff as it goes along its way. So if a planet has other items to detect they will usually fall into its detection range as it approaches. I think the default range is tiny so that might be the issue.

(in reply to stuart3)
Post #: 10
RE: Problem with auto-investigating ruins.... - 7/6/2017 11:53:43 PM   
Hattori Hanzo

quote:

ORIGINAL: SirHoraceHarkness

Upgrading the scanner range will solve most of this as it will have a larger trigger radius so it can detect more stuff as it goes along its way. So if a planet has other items to detect they will usually fall into its detection range as it approaches. I think the default range is tiny so that might be the issue.

with the "scanner range" did you refer to the range of the "Proximity Arrays" of the explorating ships ?

(in reply to SirHoraceHarkness)
Post #: 11
RE: Problem with auto-investigating ruins.... - 7/11/2017 8:58:55 PM   
SeanThornton

Since I can't rely on the ship to auto-investigate the ruins, I've stopped queuing up systems to explore, and just do them one at a time. Then, when I get prompted to go and give the ship a new mission, if I see a ruin in the current system, I make sure it's investigated before moving on.

(in reply to Hattori Hanzo)
Post #: 12
RE: Problem with auto-investigating ruins.... - 7/11/2017 10:00:47 PM   
Hattori Hanzo

exactly as I do

Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Problem with auto-investigating ruins.... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI