Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Soviets Activated....

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Soviets Activated.... Page: <<   < prev  36 37 [38] 39 40   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 6/23/2017 2:37:29 PM   
Lowpe

The Accidental War...

Don't try this at home folks. Japan looses all surprise against the Bear, and although it could be worse, it it definitely isn't great.

Starting moves...expand vehicle production...currently at 213. I am thinking of going to 300. Perhaps 400 even.
I will start small, and increased only 1 point across all factories today and there are only 6 of them.

Karafuto is one day away from boarding trains for Shikuka. But there is no other AV here...I do have 2nd Raiding regiment smack dab in the middle of the Sea of Japan heading for Sapporo. A DMS, xAP and AK full of supplies and some air landing troopers.

Shokaku and Zuikaku are at Hirosaki.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 6/23/2017 2:41:38 PM >

(in reply to njp72)
Post #: 1111
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 6/23/2017 2:55:43 PM   
Lowpe

Basically I have three divisions on the front lines...and border forts.

It will be a late night for Army planners...to be sure. I think Soviets have 2 HQa, but I can't remember where they are...most likely Vlad, but the other? Will they be air transportable, I can't remember if Soviets have transport planes, surely they do?

More research needed, I guess...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 6/23/2017 2:58:11 PM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 1112
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 6/23/2017 3:04:57 PM   
Lowpe

Mudken is a pretty important industrial base, what would happen if I send most of the troops to the front?

25% of the normal Manchuko garrison resides here. Not sure how much AV I have n Manchuko and Korea...But I guess this will be a staging base for reserves, rest and refit, and everything else.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 1113
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 6/23/2017 3:15:30 PM   
Lowpe

The Command Structure...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 1114
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 6/23/2017 3:22:21 PM   
MakeeLearn

Are T-34s Banzai proof? да (da)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 1115
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 6/23/2017 6:20:05 PM   
Lowpe

Been thinking about how this war will impact the PP game.

Won't be buying anything out of China or Manchuko so really only from General Defense...

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 1116
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 6/23/2017 6:39:12 PM   
Lowpe

The restricted Manchuko Garrison Air Force...under 400 planes up against 2000+ Soviets.

Oh my! Have to make the most of this...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 1117
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 6/23/2017 6:52:06 PM   
Lowpe

About 450 planes on the HI.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 6/23/2017 6:56:33 PM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 1118
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 6/23/2017 6:52:29 PM   
AcePylut

Look at the bright side - no more need to worry about that 8000AV garrison requirement anymore :D

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 1119
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 6/23/2017 10:58:19 PM   
SierraJuliet

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

Mudken is a pretty important industrial base, what would happen if I send most of the troops to the front?

25% of the normal Manchuko garrison resides here. Not sure how much AV I have n Manchuko and Korea...But I guess this will be a staging base for reserves, rest and refit, and everything else.

Had me running for my game there to check on the garrison requirement. I've lost track of which AE version you are playing. I'm on stock and Mukden only needs 200. 2000!!! now that is a big garrison to have to tie down. Guess you will have work out how much partisan damage you are prepared to accept.

BTW. I like your AAR name change.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 1120
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 6/23/2017 11:05:28 PM   
SierraJuliet

Have you got plans for taking Alexandrovsk? If so seaborne or the land route? The land route is the less risky but you have to take out the fort on the way. Karafuto Brigade is handy but isn't up to doing the job by itself. You will need to wangle a bigger brother from somewhere to get past that obstacle of peskiness. Make sure you have fighter cover for you ships way up there when they come in. Soviet bombers seem to be drawn to this area and will have a field day if you neglect your air cover. Even with air cover some bombers will get through and at very low level they have no problems scoring hits.

(in reply to SierraJuliet)
Post #: 1121
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 6/23/2017 11:22:09 PM   
Lovejoy

Didn't Radar do an AAR where he deliberately attacked the Soviets starting in 1941? I think it was called "Taming the Bear" or something like that. There might be some lessons there, but IIRC he went on the offensive to try and cut the Trans-Siberian Railway

Post #: 1122
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 6/24/2017 8:50:27 AM   
Alfred

quote:

The Mukden garrison is a typo. The correct garrison requirement is only 200. Confirmed by the scenario dev with solution provided here:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3782510&mpage=1&key=Mukden�

Alfred

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 1123
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 6/24/2017 5:15:37 PM   
Cap Mandrake

There are two spots near the border where the IJA can cut all rail and road traffic to Eastern ("Southern" on the map)
Siberia. They aren't easy to get to. It might be possible to drop paras on Moho and walk across the river...not sure if you can drop paras on your own dot base. Of course they wouldn't last long without help.

Also this. The Russkis could make trouble coming down the road from Ulan Bator. Hell, they could make trouble anywhere they chose.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 1124
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 6/26/2017 2:16:00 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

quote:

The Mukden garrison is a typo. The correct garrison requirement is only 200. Confirmed by the scenario dev with solution provided here:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3782510&mpage=1&key=Mukden�

Alfred

Many thanks, Alfred! Error confirmed and fix all in one convenient thread.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 1125
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 6/26/2017 2:17:38 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

There are two spots near the border where the IJA can cut all rail and road traffic to Eastern ("Southern" on the map)
Siberia. They aren't easy to get to. It might be possible to drop paras on Moho and walk across the river...not sure if you can drop paras on your own dot base. Of course they wouldn't last long without help.

Also this. The Russkis could make trouble coming down the road from Ulan Bator. Hell, they could make trouble anywhere they chose.

Keep the ideas coming Cap and I will give you a field promotion to Col!

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 1126
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 6/26/2017 2:19:04 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lovejoy

Didn't Radar do an AAR where he deliberately attacked the Soviets starting in 1941? I think it was called "Taming the Bear" or something like that. There might be some lessons there, but IIRC he went on the offensive to try and cut the Trans-Siberian Railway

Yep, and I read it years ago...however, I believe he took most of India and was scenario 2.

I am not aware of any scenario 1 with Soviets active, are you?

(in reply to Lovejoy)
Post #: 1127
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 6/26/2017 2:22:48 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: SierraJuliet

Have you got plans for taking Alexandrovsk? If so seaborne or the land route? The land route is the less risky but you have to take out the fort on the way. Karafuto Brigade is handy but isn't up to doing the job by itself. You will need to wangle a bigger brother from somewhere to get past that obstacle of peskiness. Make sure you have fighter cover for you ships way up there when they come in. Soviet bombers seem to be drawn to this area and will have a field day if you neglect your air cover. Even with air cover some bombers will get through and at very low level they have no problems scoring hits.

I have to figure out how to find troops that aren't restricted.

I have no plans but immediate survival. Alfred's broad strategy ideas seem really solid to me, and cutting the rail lines by Cap plus bombing the industry in Vlad (probably at night) seem the best choices for me right now.

The Soviets will control the sea for several days...even though Shokaku and Zuikaku are in the area.

Post #: 1128
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 6/26/2017 2:24:00 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: AcePylut

Look at the bright side - no more need to worry about that 8000AV garrison requirement anymore :D

Silver lining! There always is one...like losing the KB in 1942 and realizing all the fuel you will save by not having to feed those monsters.

(in reply to AcePylut)
Post #: 1129
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 6/26/2017 2:27:15 PM   
Canoerebel

It was Rader (not "Radar") who invaded Russia. I have dim memories of that including a major seaborne invasion that traveled up a Russian river somewhere!

Great AAR title, Lowpe. You're having a lot of fun with this already. Go, boy, go!

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 1130
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 6/26/2017 2:51:43 PM   
jwolf

I'll just add to say I love the new AAR title! That's turning lemons into lemonade!

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1131
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 6/26/2017 3:07:29 PM   
Encircled

Haven't done scenario 1, but Kharborovsk (spelling) has soviet aircraft factories in it.

Take that, and they are lost to the allies permanently.

< Message edited by Encircled -- 6/26/2017 3:08:05 PM >

(in reply to jwolf)
Post #: 1132
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 6/26/2017 3:17:50 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

It was Rader (not "Radar") who invaded Russia. I have dim memories of that including a major seaborne invasion that traveled up a Russian river somewhere!

Great AAR title, Lowpe. You're having a lot of fun with this already. Go, boy, go!

He had the complete surprise attack going for him...ground, air and naval. At the end, he thought the attack was a failure...

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1133
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 6/26/2017 3:19:46 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Encircled

Haven't done scenario 1, but Kharborovsk (spelling) has soviet aircraft factories in it.

Take that, and they are lost to the allies permanently.

Don't have to take it...as the air force can destroy it and keep it destroyed for a long, long time. But taking it is certainly preferable. Komsomolsk it is...check the map above.

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 6/26/2017 3:22:40 PM >

(in reply to Encircled)
Post #: 1134
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 6/26/2017 3:26:32 PM   
Encircled

I knew it began with "K"!

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 1135
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 6/26/2017 5:57:25 PM   
Lowpe

Will be a long and nasty war here...Major areas of responsibility. I am hoping I can weather the storm till the Soviets lose all those division for the winter counter offensive.

Early on I plan on using the twin engine bombers at night hitting Soviet industry. Soviets will counter by flying biplanes at night I suspect and AA concentrations.

Soviet infrastructure in roads and runways is much better than Japans.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 6/26/2017 5:59:33 PM >

(in reply to Encircled)
Post #: 1136
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 6/27/2017 12:30:45 AM   
SierraJuliet

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: SierraJuliet

I have to figure out how to find troops that aren't restricted.

I have no plans but immediate survival. Alfred's broad strategy ideas seem really solid to me, and cutting the rail lines by Cap plus bombing the industry in Vlad (probably at night) seem the best choices for me right now.

The Soviets will control the sea for several days...even though Shokaku and Zuikaku are in the area.

My current game with tocaff has Soviets active and Japan formally went to war against the Soviet in mid ’43. It is a scenario 1 game. India, bar a few bases fell, and China was consumed by the IJA as well. Russia is a different proposition for me as all the start war units have filled out and of course reinforcements have turned up and forts are well up. Todd has taken to calling his Soviet forces paper bears but I think they are far from that. The Soviet air force is huge but I have decent fighters to deal with what is still essentially the start war planes. It won’t be until late ’44 or ’45 that I will have to worry about better Soviet planes. I really do wonder at the ability of early war Japan to fend off the Soviet air force. I will be watching with much interest to see how you handle his air power.

I hear you on plans for immediate survival. Concur with Alfred’s board strategy.

Aleksandrovsk is certainly not a straight up target. When you do get there, it will be a tougher nut to crack than it is now. You will need to find a few spare divisions to tackle it. Divisions which for the time being will be sorely needed elsewhere.

As for Rader’s game, my memory is the hammering he took making a seaborne assault. I kept a shot of the damage the CD guns at Magadan inflicted upon Rader’s invasion fleet. It was horrendous and got me thinking on how best to stage a landing without crippling the IJN. I had success by having bombardment TFs standoff outside the range of the CDs guns. Bombard, bombard and bombard some more. You still must accept lost warships and at the end of the assault on Petropavlovsk I had to see goodbye to 2 old light cruisers. Yamashiro had 30+ system damage and 3 destroyers got banged up but they survived. All damaged covered the landings. The CD fire is devastating on the landing ships so look to use the small xAKs and xAKLs which you can afford to lose and won’t have a mass of troops on board when they go down. My two cents worth for the time when you do start to consider picking of the isolated Soviet outposts.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 1137
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 6/27/2017 11:00:33 AM   
adarbrauner

Stil cannot understand why couldn't you had waited some one-two months to eventually open hostilities against the russians

Post #: 1138
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 6/27/2017 11:57:31 AM   
Lowpe

With Obvert's permission and Alfred's excellent proof, I braved the editor and fixed the garrison at Mudken.

(in reply to adarbrauner)
Post #: 1139
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 6/27/2017 11:58:01 AM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: adarbrauner

Stil cannot understand why couldn't you had waited some one-two months to eventually open hostilities against the russians

Mainly because it is far more interesting this way.

(in reply to adarbrauner)
Post #: 1140
Page:   <<   < prev  36 37 [38] 39 40   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Soviets Activated.... Page: <<   < prev  36 37 [38] 39 40   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI