Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Soviets Activated....

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Soviets Activated.... Page: <<   < prev  38 39 [40] 41 42   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 7/6/2017 8:28:24 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

Where are your paratroops? Several of those middle Soviet bases begin with little to nothing in the way of defense.

Not on the Soviet border, silly! Do you think I planned this?

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 1171
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 7/6/2017 8:30:54 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aurorus

If you change the 5th fleet bases,

Well, I need political points and assault value at the base to be able to change it.

Theresas' has been incredibly busy ferrying troops in Burma. They are not slackers, and will not make it to the Home Islands anytime soon.

(in reply to Aurorus)
Post #: 1172
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 7/6/2017 8:32:41 PM   
Lowpe

Those cowardly ABDA dogs are retreating!

I am going to pound Singers into the ground with battleships...hopefully they steer clear of the industry and port, but I kind of think there will be some incidental damage.

Canton has some AA from the base force...and suddenly there is nowhere near enough AA. Well, really everything is in short supply. This game is a definite one you don't want to try at home.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 7/6/2017 8:34:54 PM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 1173
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 7/6/2017 8:36:56 PM   
Lowpe

Today is the day I will make wholesale changes to my plane r&d...

out the window is every plane that comes later than the Sam.

I am still going to short the Oscar...which would be a useful plane.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 1174
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 7/6/2017 11:43:40 PM   
Lowpe

The north pacific...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 1175
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 7/7/2017 2:30:57 AM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

Starting moves...expand vehicle production...currently at 213. I am thinking of going to 300. Perhaps 400 even.
I will start small, and increased only 1 point across all factories today and there are only 6 of them.

You have the chance to capture several AC factories which convert to ARM factories. I would not expand too fast until you have those ...

Pax

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 1176
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 7/7/2017 2:40:53 AM   
PaxMondo

quote:

Probably a good idea ... Shinden is maybe the only one I would salvage ... otherwise agreed.

Other thoughts, use as you see fit:
You need Frank and George really fast.
Given you are fighting mostly in CHI and SOV, Tojo can actually work as there are a lot of bases. 6/8 hex range works.
You will need FAR more Helen than normal. you have a long grinder of a war is asia. you will need to build both Sallys also a lot more until Helen shows up.
Pilot training is going to be replaced by "on the job" ... particularly for your bomber pilots. cherry pick places from your 35 exp/50 skill pilots can work and not die too fast.

This means a lot more Ha-34, Ha-32 than normal. I would prolly forgo RnD on Jill/Judy (build when they appear of course) get a lot of RnD on Frank/George. 15x30 each? Something like that.
don't know about IJN group sizes, but I would also consider beaching a lot of groups ... A6M is the best fighter on the map for at least the next 6 months. You want them in heavy use ....

< Message edited by PaxMondo -- 7/7/2017 2:44:25 AM >

Pax

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 1177
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 7/7/2017 4:29:25 PM   
Alfred

quote:

A poser. Going to have to really put on the thinking cap for situation.

Who said it was important to fight the Soviets here?

As a great leader once said, "he who defends everything defends nothing".

No one ever has all the assets to do everything. Everything needs to ranked in a priority order. I don't see anything about the Japanese territory bordering the Trans-Siberian railway as qualifying to be essential. But even if it were "essential" there are different gradations of "essential". Consider three hypothetical bases

• one contains two separate aircraft facilities which are currently producing your best fighter which equips 75% of your fighter units
  • another contains two separate aircraft R&D facilities researching two different models which will not become available until January 1945 at the earliest and then will only equip at most 5% of your air units
  • the third contains 100 Resource and 100 Light Industry Centres

Obviously all three bases are "essential" but not equally so. Depending on the current war situation either the R&D base or the supply generation base would be a candidate for sacrifice if there are not sufficient assets to defend all three.

Circumstances are often found where one can even sacrifice a definite "essential" location (such as the base with the current aircraft production) because you are striking at an enemy position which is even more essential. It is important to remember that what makes a position "essential" is not determined solely on utility to yourself but also the utility it provides to the enemy. Capturing the two Soviet bases on Sakhlin Island is of far greater importance than holding solid the Trans-Siberian border.

Alfred

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 1178
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 7/9/2017 12:23:06 PM   
Lowpe

Thanks, Alfred. That mirrors my thinking in that a lot of this terrain is a time delay...

Working very hard to finish the turn today...but there are sooo many clicks.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 1179
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 7/9/2017 12:50:34 PM   
Lowpe

Sakhalin....a very important island right now.

Attachment (2)

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 7/9/2017 12:51:49 PM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 1180
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 7/9/2017 1:21:51 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

quote:

Starting moves...expand vehicle production...currently at 213. I am thinking of going to 300. Perhaps 400 even.
I will start small, and increased only 1 point across all factories today and there are only 6 of them.

You have the chance to capture several AC factories which convert to ARM factories. I would not expand too fast until you have those ...

That is looking pretty far into the future... I doubt I get the chance till past July, and probably won't be able to repair them or hold them into 45. Quite frankly, without the surprise attack on the Soviets, I wonder if I will see Jan 1, 1945?

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 1181
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 7/9/2017 1:27:37 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

quote:

Probably a good idea ... Shinden is maybe the only one I would salvage ... otherwise agreed.

Other thoughts, use as you see fit:
You need Frank and George really fast.
Given you are fighting mostly in CHI and SOV, Tojo can actually work as there are a lot of bases. 6/8 hex range works.
You will need FAR more Helen than normal. you have a long grinder of a war is asia. you will need to build both Sallys also a lot more until Helen shows up.
Pilot training is going to be replaced by "on the job" ... particularly for your bomber pilots. cherry pick places from your 35 exp/50 skill pilots can work and not die too fast.

This means a lot more Ha-34, Ha-32 than normal. I would prolly forgo RnD on Jill/Judy (build when they appear of course) get a lot of RnD on Frank/George. 15x30 each? Something like that.
don't know about IJN group sizes, but I would also consider beaching a lot of groups ... A6M is the best fighter on the map for at least the next 6 months. You want them in heavy use ....

I have to be honest here, and I have had the turn 3 days and I am still working out the plane changes. It is somewhat byzantine.

Petes for example. Who builds Petes in a PDU off game, but the sad fact is they are the best night time CAP plane Japan has until Irving and Nick D shows up. But Petes use an off engine and really, how many splinter squadrons of Petes do I need to deter night bombing with something in the air...quite a few actually.

I cringe everytime I have to change a factory...but I am beefing up George, Frank, the Zero line, Sally.

Your thinking of allocating 15 factories to George, got me thinking...probably bad thoguhts...but thinking. Thanks.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 1182
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 7/9/2017 5:58:24 PM   
Aurorus

I have no idea how you train a sufficient number of IJN fighter pilots while using Petes as "night-fighters," unless you are making some pretty gamey air-group resizes. Would it not be better to break down a group of Nates and use the Nates as "night-fighters) with some exp. 30 pilots?

As Pax stated, the Zero is The plane for the next 6 months. You want to keep the pipe-line of pilots flowing into Zeros as much as possible.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 1183
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 7/9/2017 11:52:09 PM   
Lowpe

No gamey air group sizing for me.

It is either protect the economy or die...so I chose to protect the economy.

My revamped r&d program features only one bomber being researched; everything else is fighters, fighter bombers, or night fighters.

No r&d into Oscar, Tojo, Tony at all.

(in reply to Aurorus)
Post #: 1184
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 7/10/2017 9:03:23 AM   
PaxMondo

quote:

Your thinking of allocating 15 factories to George, got me thinking...probably bad thoguhts...but thinking. Thanks.

I wrote that because I am proposing a long ground war that will need IJN fighter groups heavily involved. To support that, you need a good ground based fighter for the IJN. George is better offensive than Jack, but you could go Jack just as easily. You know I hate to build both. 15x30 on George means when you get it, 10x30 stay production, the other 5x30 continue to RnD George.

300/month production is enough to support 6 - 10 fighter groups in heavy combat ... and you are going to be in heavy combat.

Ditto for IJA groups and Frank ...

Pax

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 1185
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 7/10/2017 9:10:42 AM   
PaxMondo

quote:

I cringe everytime I have to change a factory...

Truthfully, this is the part I haven't been able to finish thinking through .... how long can you fight the combined CHI/SOV before you simply crash the economy ... the problem up front is that you will be consuming a lot of supply during the time that IJ normally is banking supply.

This line of thought would certainly mean that you need to be very careful with factory expansion, but there is no way around the fact that you need to expand factories or you simply will not have numbers to meet the opposition.

I've sandboxed taking on the Bear quite a bit, but I have always had the surpise AND not until much later in '42 when I have things in the DEI and CHI in better hand ...

Pax

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 1186
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 7/10/2017 4:24:33 PM   
Lowpe

Pax you are right, this is a surprise Soviet attack! And not the other way around.

Sallys will make up the core of the bomber strength till very late.

I am in the planning phase, and awaiting good moonlight, to launch a massive night bombing raid on Chungking and Vladivostock.

I went with Jack...they come earlier, finish earlier, and will suffice. I am still going after George but with the initial commitment. I like the Jack for the Ha32 engine which will be easier on my economy.

My economy, with Obvert going great guns to destroy it, protecting it is very difficult. Very difficult. Plus with China playing a much larger role than anticipated, I suspect things will be very interesting.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 1187
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 7/10/2017 6:24:16 PM   
Lowpe

Finished the turn! What a beast...I already know I have missed things to do, hopefully nothing too serious.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 1188
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 7/10/2017 8:32:04 PM   
PaxMondo

quote:

I went with Jack...they come earlier, finish earlier, and will suffice. I am still going after George but with the initial commitment. I like the Jack for the Ha32 engine which will be easier on my economy.

I suspected you might for just those reasons.

Pax

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 1189
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 7/10/2017 11:12:11 PM   
Lowpe

I figure by the time the Jack shows up, which should be really early, the A6M3 and Nicks will have balanced the air game a lot. Army will have to wait till first quarter 43 for the Frank A, and then it should be a happy time in the air all the way to 44. What probably will hurt is going from A6M3a to Sam. Could be tough at sea...I guess I might make a few Tojo, but at this point nothing is planned.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 1190
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 7/11/2017 10:12:44 PM   
Lowpe

Jan 24, 1942

Another day in the accidental war. A dozen night strikes by the Allied/Soviet war machines and I come thru unscathed.

During the day massive sweeps of Shikuka and then heavy bombing devastates the few Zeroes in the area. Runway is at 45%. I tried a bombing run on the isolated paratroopers there but nobody flew.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 1191
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 7/11/2017 10:22:41 PM   
Lowpe

Troops are heading to the front line positions, or what will be my front line positions.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 1192
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 7/11/2017 10:26:20 PM   
Lowpe

Plane losses I cannot afford, but then there are no Soviet replacements for these losses also.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 1193
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 7/11/2017 10:29:09 PM   
Lowpe

Boise, Prince of Wales, and company make good their escape. Sigh.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 1194
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 7/12/2017 1:27:10 AM   
Lowpe

Sakhalin

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 1195
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 7/12/2017 2:27:11 AM   
PaxMondo

Sov has a lot of short range patrols ... so yes, might very well be able to shift quite a few ....

Pax

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 1196
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 7/12/2017 2:37:47 PM   
Lowpe

Finished the turn, and I am in the process of getting the troops where they need to be...many will arrive by rail today...but will the Soviet storm into them?

Will the Soviets try for Toyohara? Flying in some emergency ground troops....but will it be enough?

Moonlight is 50%...I will wait for 90% and unleash the Japanese bombers against the Chinese and Soviet industry.

Spent even more supply getting the Frank and Jack r&d facilities to 30 each. In a wild burst of enthusiasm, I am building two factories of each up to 200. Perhaps 300. This will give me one solid factory while the other groups can keep on r&d the Frank R and advanced Jack (the J2M3 is quad cannon, SR2 and a big improvement over the J2M2).

Lots of damaged ships and a big troop transport near Jolo. The troop transport has 9/10 dl, and there are 30 Allied bombers at Ternate. So I am diverting everything to Jolo and have 30 Zereoes flying CAP and six ASW task forces. The subs here are as thick as thieves.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 1197
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 7/12/2017 2:44:00 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

Sov has a lot of short range patrols ... so yes, might very well be able to shift quite a few ....

Hmm., perhaps Toyohara is safe for now. I can't find any regular transports till June of 42 or so. Soviet air assaults at coastal/island only and most likely very, very short range.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 1198
Flash: Soviets are.... - 7/12/2017 9:11:43 PM   
Lowpe

using Women pilots!

An urgent flash message from Sakhalin's recent air clashes with the Soviets....no one has the nerve to inform the Emperor. And they have parachutes too!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 7/12/2017 9:12:31 PM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 1199
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 7/13/2017 2:31:59 AM   
PaxMondo

quote:

quote:

Hmm., perhaps Toyohara is safe for now. I can't find any regular transports till June of 42 or so. Soviet air assaults at coastal/island only and most likely very, very short range.

Yes, they atart with quite a few groups. Most are MBR-2, but he gets some Do J.

Pax

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 1200
Page:   <<   < prev  38 39 [40] 41 42   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Soviets Activated.... Page: <<   < prev  38 39 [40] 41 42   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI