Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Has anybody finished the WW2 Long Campaign?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Has anybody finished the WW2 Long Campaign? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Has anybody finished the WW2 Long Campaign? - 5/23/2001 11:10:00 PM   
Figmo

I just finished it. 39 Battles from Sept. 39 to April 45. I just get my force exactly as I want it and "The War is Over"!! NO NO - I want more blood - this is terrible - "the war is over" - it can't be!! I can see why it's difficult for soldiers to adjust - I was only playing a game. Did pretty well - 38 Decisives and 1 Marginal. Figmo

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, f
Post #: 1
- 5/24/2001 1:56:00 AM   
rexmonday

I finished the WW2 campaign playing as the UK. Got kicked out of Belgium and France with mt tail between my legs. Coughed in the dust of North Africa suffering from the Italians incoming 380mm artillery shells. Saw the first grass hex since France in 1943 as I hopped over to Italy - I got an amphibious assault here (and got hammered by hidden reserves (about 3 infantry companies lurking at the extreme right of the map). Back up to France again ... and then the war was over. Yeah, seems something of a low point to end it on.. game over. I benefitted greatly from the immortal leaders bug during the campaign (started in version 2.x - finished in version 4.4) which lead to 90% of my infantry having 120+ experience ratings. Hope this shouldn't reappear in version 5...

(in reply to Figmo)
Post #: 2
- 5/24/2001 6:45:00 AM   
Rick Borovec

Figmo - Who did you play as? 38 Decisive and 1 Marginal is impressive!

(in reply to Figmo)
Post #: 3
- 5/24/2001 5:27:00 PM   
Figmo

quote:

Originally posted by BORO: Figmo - Who did you play as? 38 Decisive and 1 Marginal is impressive!
Thanks!! I played as Germans. The marginal was an Assault against the Russians. I got all the objectives but it cost me too much. I broke through the mine fields and infantry and being disorganized decided to run for the victory hexes anyway - well - the AI hit me with a counter attack and I wasn't ready for it. I started looking around for Wild Bill but he wasn't there - if I didn't know better I'd say he made the battle. :D Figmo

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, f

(in reply to Figmo)
Post #: 4
- 5/24/2001 10:19:00 PM   
jwelch

That is eerie. I am playing a German long campaign and am up to Dec 44. I only have one marginal and I suffered it doing an assault against the reds. Am currently defending a river and having a blast. Actually, I guess I am blasting the Russians.

Jay Welch "Never suspect treachery when simple incompetence will suffice" -Napoleon's Maxims of War

(in reply to Figmo)
Post #: 5
- 5/24/2001 10:59:00 PM   
Wild Bill

Congrats, Figmo! You did well. The ticker tape parades when you returned must have been overwhelming! Was it worth it? Did you enjoy the long campaign? Would you do it again? Did the AI produce some believable battles? I've never played a long campaign but am seriously giving it some thought....WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Figmo)
Post #: 6
- 5/25/2001 12:05:00 AM   
Panther

For a real though challange try doing a campaign with the russians. That is really tough. The formation limit is 25 for the russians 60 for the axis. I usually have 20 formations as core and 5 for support. You feel very inferior in the beginig. getting marignal victories and draws is great.

(in reply to Figmo)
Post #: 7
- 5/25/2001 8:12:00 AM   
Figmo

Oh Yes!! I'll do more Long Campaigns - it's lots of fun. My problem is I get possessed and can't stop - it took me two months to do this one. I need to finish some scenarios I've started but the campaign just keeps calling to me - one more battle - one more battle!! :eek: And yes - many of the battles are very good. Some nationalities get predictible with the AI on curtain types of battles. The new "Hard" option solves some of that - cause even if you know where they're coming from when there are soooo many you have to change your strategy. Figmo

(in reply to Figmo)
Post #: 8
- 5/25/2001 5:20:00 PM   
Devast8or

I started the long campaign with the Germans two days ago and I'm experiencing the same problem as you Figmo. I just can't stop playing it! One more battle, just one more and when you're finished you must se where you're going to end up and then you can't stop. A lot of fun! I placed myself in a tank just to se how long I'm going to live. =) I'm currently in France, Paris advancing against the French forces. Me and my tank crew have only two kills so far, we were almost killed in the last battle while assaulting enemy positions together with my Engineer platoon.

(in reply to Figmo)
Post #: 9
- 5/26/2001 8:23:00 PM   
Figmo

Panther - I just tried it with the Russians and got 38 formations and 96 units. Maybe you have a setting that needs changing. It IS difficult - and I made the mistake of turning off "Rarity" so I could get what I want and ended up fighting LOTS of German FJ unit - ARGH!! Tank Hunter - Enjoy - we'll see you when you come up for air!! :D Make sure you have some 88s before you take on the British with their Matildas. Figmo

(in reply to Figmo)
Post #: 10
- 5/26/2001 9:50:00 PM   
nimu

Hi everybody, I finished my first long ww2 camp last month,still with ver 4.5. I had the british forces.Started in gen'41.Got 5 defeatets(one was terrible:surrended!!!).The 380 italian artillery just killed many of my best units!But i got trough and since 1943 i started to get really better when my formation leaders began to know a bit much about the war!!!! BTW:incredible fun!!!!I could not stop playing it!! The point was the AI.I found it many times very predictable:never a paras' assault,never a special forces infiltration,never strange things!!!Never played yet with the ver 5.01,so i cannot say if the ww2 camp is improoved. Regards

"out of ammo........God save the King"

(in reply to Figmo)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Has anybody finished the WW2 Long Campaign? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI