Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

graphics anomalies

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> Tech Support >> graphics anomalies Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
graphics anomalies - 5/2/2017 6:20:03 PM   
Phoenix100

Any of this familiar? I'm running with win 10, but these probs seem to have just started with the latest patch, I think (not sure of that, since I haven't played for a while, but I have patched it up as patches appeared). Very irritating. In the pic a missing pause button and the unit counters go blank for a second or so, then the picture appears on them again. Any help?

Cheers,

Peter

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: graphics anomalies - 5/2/2017 6:32:37 PM   
zakblood

steam or site version?

Could you please attach a DxDiag report file to your message / reply?

Please attach a DxDiag report fie.
How to get a DxDiag report file:

1. Click on "START" (on Windows 8/10 press “Windows key” and the “R” key at the same time)
2. Click "run" (skip this step on Windows 8/10)
3. Type in "dxdiag" and click "OK"
4. Check through the tabs and perform all tests
5. Click "Save all Information..." and save the text file to a location of your choice
6. Attach the file to your message
7, if your new and can't / don't have permission etc, then copy paste into a reply

just checked all reported errors, and nobody else has mentioned this one as yet, so need a bit more information

< Message edited by zakblood -- 5/2/2017 6:35:19 PM >

(in reply to Phoenix100)
Post #: 2
RE: graphics anomalies - 5/2/2017 6:39:23 PM   
zakblood

things to try and test

Have you tried turning the Windows aero effects off?

latest drivers for vga card?

have you tried a dx9 install?

if on steam,

Verify Integrity of Game Cache
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2037-QEUH-3335

are you using more than one monitor?

< Message edited by zakblood -- 5/2/2017 6:40:30 PM >

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 3
RE: graphics anomalies - 5/2/2017 6:42:25 PM   
Phoenix100

Ok. Thanks.
Site version. One monitor (it's an MSI laptop)
Aero affects? Don't know what they are, but I'm guessing I've already got rid of them because I don't see anything irritating floating around....UPDATE: Found them and disabled them all. They were all on. Amazing what ms foists on you....
Just updated the card (Nvidia 850M).
Haven't tried DX9. Could do.
DX diag? Haven't any probs with other games. But I'll take a look. UPDATE: Done it - no probs found. (No need to post it?)

Thanks.

< Message edited by phoenix -- 5/2/2017 6:50:30 PM >

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 4
RE: graphics anomalies - 5/2/2017 6:48:01 PM   
zakblood

is it an upgrade from a older operating system?

if yes, run all the files in the folder called _CommonRedist in the game installation folder

doesn't hurt to re run them anyway, just in case something goes a miss.

no need for me to see the report above, just without it, can't see the full laptop spec, so hard to say if it's a driver or hardware or gaming issue,

you can or could try a reinstall, just uninstall your version first, making sure all the folders and files have gone, then reinstall and update to latest version and make sure you don't skip any prerequisites files it ask to run on the install, don't run the game until it's fully updated and see if that fixes it, if so it's a missing file hopefully

< Message edited by zakblood -- 5/2/2017 6:52:03 PM >

(in reply to Phoenix100)
Post #: 5
RE: graphics anomalies - 5/2/2017 6:51:17 PM   
Phoenix100

Upgrade, yes. But I just reinstalled the game from scratch and that didn't work.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 6
RE: graphics anomalies - 5/2/2017 6:53:38 PM   
zakblood

did you skip any prerequisites on the reinstall?

was the folder clean before you reinstalled, as a uninstall can leave trace file behind?

what antivirus do you use? have you checked the logs to see if that has interfered with any files?

(in reply to Phoenix100)
Post #: 7
RE: graphics anomalies - 5/2/2017 6:55:03 PM   
CapnDarwin

Are you running any third party overlay tools like Nahimic or Raptr? If you can, see if you can get us a save game so we can see if it is something in the scenario causing the game to hang long enough to glitch out like that. What kind of mouse do you have and have you tried placing the mouse on a different surface. Sounds weird, but I have had issues on certain surfaces with optical jitters that slow the game down. Loading up DX9 also might help.

OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC

(in reply to Phoenix100)
Post #: 8
RE: graphics anomalies - 5/2/2017 6:55:20 PM   
zakblood

with windows 10, latest version.

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 14393) (14393.rs1_release_inmarket.170303-1614)

and some older ones tbh, installing the game as a right click and install as admin sets up the permission to run on a admin only account better than just running as a standard user

i'll step out now, boss is here

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 9
RE: graphics anomalies - 5/2/2017 6:57:20 PM   
CapnDarwin

Also, what is your screen resolution? What is the font scaling set to?

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 10
RE: graphics anomalies - 5/2/2017 6:58:19 PM   
Phoenix100

Hello boss. BUT, I think Zak cured it! The aero effects. All win 10 animations switched off and so far so good. The counters do kind of shimmer still, but don't go blank, and the pause button hasn't vanished yet. Thanks zak. Good job. Thanks Capn. I'll get back if it reoccurs.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 11
RE: graphics anomalies - 5/2/2017 6:58:47 PM   
CapnDarwin

Thanks Zakblood, we happily take all the help on these types of problems we can get.

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 12
RE: graphics anomalies - 5/2/2017 7:02:52 PM   
zakblood

i try , or some say i'm trying

glad your sorted phoenix

latest released version of windows 10, is more game friendly and sets up some or most games to run at there best, i use right click install as admin on everything and let it do the rest.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by zakblood -- 5/2/2017 7:11:27 PM >

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 13
RE: graphics anomalies - 5/2/2017 7:11:20 PM   
CapnDarwin

We will have to check aero effects on the latest build and see if we can figure out what may be going on. Glad you are up and running smoothly.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 14
RE: graphics anomalies - 5/2/2017 7:13:19 PM   
Phoenix100

Mmm. With aero/animation effects all off the fonts were awful, so I switched on the single entry relating to fonts - smoothing, or something - and that was enough to produce the issue again. Re-installing from scratch again now. Then will check the redistribs. Where do I get this gaming mode thing, Zak?

What scaling should I have Capn?

Thanks again.

Peter

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 15
RE: graphics anomalies - 5/2/2017 7:19:43 PM   
Phoenix100

Ok. It's fine now (fingers crossed). I reinstalled with all antivirus off (Malwarebytes and defender) and installed as admin, both Zak's suggestions. It seems fine now, no shimering, no blank counters. So, now I'm not sure if the windows animations things had anything to do with it. Either way, will report back if it returns. Thanks for all the prompt help. Much appreciated.

(in reply to Phoenix100)
Post #: 16
RE: graphics anomalies - 5/2/2017 7:21:31 PM   
zakblood

gaming mode is only in the latest version of windows 10, if you haven't already got it as yet, then you need to wait a while longer before it auto downloads for your country or version,

windows animations are just eye candy for windows, but like the steam overlay used in steam, not all games like it or support it, or can even work well with it, as i'm more bothered about a stable game, i turn off all windows eye candy by default, so have little to no errors when gaming,

with them all off, in most games you don't see any benefits until you put a counter on them and see the FPS score on a high end game, you might get a % higher with some with them off, so imo why use them at all, makes no difference to the running of a work or word doc so see little point in them anyway, kind of a throwback idea some one came up with to justify their job maybe in microsoft

http://lifehacker.com/disable-this-animation-to-make-windows-10s-start-menu-o-1734223008

quote:

while the new Start Menu animations are slick, they can bog down slower machines. Turning them off will help make the menu more responsive. To turn them off, follow these steps:

Press Win+R to open the Run dialog.
Type in sysdm.cpl and press enter.
In the dialog that opens, click the Advanced tab.
Under Performance click Settings.
Disable the “Animate windows when minimizing and maximizing” checkbox.

or right click on my computer and do it manually, it's quicker

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by zakblood -- 5/2/2017 7:31:17 PM >

(in reply to Phoenix100)
Post #: 17
RE: graphics anomalies - 5/2/2017 7:36:35 PM   
Phoenix100

Interesting. Found the game bar. Will try it. Didn't even know it existed. AS for the list of animations, Zakblood, the third from bottom there - smooth edges of screenfonts - seems to make a big diff beyond the level of eye candy to me - ie; with it switched on it's actually much easier to read some of the fonts. I'll test whether it makes a diff in game.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 18
RE: graphics anomalies - 5/2/2017 7:42:43 PM   
zakblood

font blurring depends more on DPI scale used, on the windows default of 96 DPI, it matters little, as most fonts are made to work at this size, when scaling is used, let's say to 120DPI, some font's scale better than others, so having it on, will make some font's on a higher resolution and DPI setting look better so would agree.

i run at 1920x1080 at 96 DPI, so windows default, so for me it's fine off, some settings you may need to play with to suit your own views and likes and dislikes and screen size used etc

i'm more of a tester than player, so tend to do most things on default, with only a odd alteration to suit my own style and views.

edited, going past 120 DPI you will or should use it, as most font won't scale that well and will look really blocky, i've seen some users on here use 200 DPI, then again they're not using a default 29" monitor like me, and use a high end 34" + 4k model at 3840x2160 +

and now 8K and higher are out, it even gets worst

< Message edited by zakblood -- 5/2/2017 7:47:46 PM >

(in reply to Phoenix100)
Post #: 19
RE: graphics anomalies - 5/3/2017 6:38:58 AM   
Phoenix100

Don't know what DPI - where do I find that figure in win 10, I wonder? - but I have scaling set to 100% and resolution native (1920x1080) and it's definitely better with the smoothing. But it's all working very smoothly now, thanks. I tried the 'win 10 gaming mode' and it killed the game dead - slowed everything to a crawl. As I might expect from a microsoft initiative - so I switched that off.

Thanks.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 20
RE: graphics anomalies - 5/3/2017 6:57:03 AM   
zakblood

in the report, it's mentioned what DPI your running

How to get a DxDiag report file:

1. Click on "START" (on Windows 8/10 press “Windows key” and the “R” key at the same time)
2. Click "run" (skip this step on Windows 8/10)
3. Type in "dxdiag" and click "OK"
4. Check through the tabs and perform all tests
5. Click "Save all Information..." and save the text file to a location of your choice

edited,

quote:

win 10 gaming mode

some games work better than others with it, or so i've been told and read, so far i've not had any issues with any game i'm testing, but not all as yet have been done, but will get round to testing them all, just takes me a while on each new build on windows 10

< Message edited by zakblood -- 5/3/2017 7:39:01 AM >

(in reply to Phoenix100)
Post #: 21
RE: graphics anomalies - 7/9/2017 8:42:10 AM   
Phoenix100

Going through this again. The graphics probs reoccured after a re-install. I note I don't have a 'commonredistrib' folder of any sort in the game folder. No dx files etc. Should there be one?

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 22
RE: graphics anomalies - 7/9/2017 12:52:58 PM   
CapnDarwin

phoenix, the _CommonRedist folder should be in the main Flashpoint Campaigns Red Storm folder. It is for my Steam version, I'll have to check the other computer (my old office machine) for a Matrix install.

(in reply to Phoenix100)
Post #: 23
RE: graphics anomalies - 7/9/2017 6:26:25 PM   
Phoenix100

Thanks. No such folder in my matrix install. Wonder what that means?

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 24
RE: graphics anomalies - 7/9/2017 9:05:09 PM   
CapnDarwin

I don't know why that is that way, but the Matrix install definitely does not have that folder like Steam does. Do you run Steam at all? I'll check what libraries are in the folder and let you know. At least from there you can search for them and download off the net.

(in reply to Phoenix100)
Post #: 25
RE: graphics anomalies - 7/9/2017 9:41:25 PM   
Phoenix100

Thanks. I have steam. Maybe ill get steam keys and run it from there. Thanks.

UPDATE: Got the steam key and installed in steam. Works fine. Interesting.

UPDATE 2: In addition, incredibly, for the first time since I bought the game way back, the PBEM++ feature works through the steam install!! Excellent. With the Matrix install I always got a message saying not enough info sent or something like that. So the steam version seems to me much more functional than the matrix version.

< Message edited by phoenix -- 7/10/2017 7:25:28 AM >

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 26
RE: graphics anomalies - 7/11/2017 4:27:07 AM   
CapnDarwin

Ok, great that it is working, but the exe file is basically the same for both. Makes me wonder if the Matrix build not loading or installing the redistribution libraries is causing the problem. Have you tried the Matrix version since the Steam install?

(in reply to Phoenix100)
Post #: 27
RE: graphics anomalies - 7/11/2017 8:18:25 AM   
Phoenix100

I spoke too soon,didn't play long enough. In fact, I still have these little graphics peculiarities. As shown in the pic at the top of the thread. It's like when the counters move, or I change zoom, the program has to load the pics on top of the counters and there's a slight delay whilst it does that. It's very slight. The game is playable. It's more an irritation, like a lag that makes it not so smooth. I've tried all sorts of things, including the things listed and suggested here. It's obviously something to do with my set up, since no one else has posted about this. I have an MSI laptop, win 10, Nvidia GTX850M, plenty RAM and good processor speed. The game is on the SSD, which is meant to provide fast access, of course (though if I load it on the mechanical data drive then the effects are the same). I'll keep messing with things.

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 28
RE: graphics anomalies - 7/11/2017 10:36:51 AM   
CapnDarwin

Being a MSI laptop, is it running Raptr or Nahimic in the background? Also as weird as it sounds, if you have an optical mouse, try running the mouse on a different surface. Something flat colored and non-glossy and see if that helps.

(in reply to Phoenix100)
Post #: 29
RE: graphics anomalies - 7/11/2017 3:26:30 PM   
Phoenix100

Thanks Capn. Not running either of those, and hadn't tried the mouse thing, but have now and it made no diff. I'll set it up on an alternative laptop (not MSI, no Nvidia card) and see what happens.....

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> Tech Support >> graphics anomalies Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI