Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Scenarios in SPWAW - Talk to Me

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Scenarios in SPWAW - Talk to Me Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Scenarios in SPWAW - Talk to Me - 5/11/2000 9:54:00 PM   
Wild Bill

Each of the leaders in the development of the game had certain responsibilities. Paul handled the OOBs, Nick Papp, the artwork. Scott Grasse took care of the sound files. The scenarios are one of my areas of responsibility. So, any comments, suggestions, criticisms as to scenarios can be aired here and I will do my best to answer you. Wild Bill ------------------ Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games ------------------ Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant
Post #: 1
- 5/11/2000 10:17:00 PM   
3rd Recon

Hello Wild Bill Love the scenarios. The only problem I found was the missing text for the last scenario that you were kind enough to email me..Thanks. I'm sure you'll be takeing some well deserved time off for all your work, but when you return, I have a few ideas: 1: I would love to see an Okinawa campaign. 2: Yugoslavia or Greece campaign would be nice too. 3: Is there any chance(don't know if you have the code)that you or Matrix games will make campaigns with the you win go here-you lose go here set up like the sp3 scenarios that came with the game. Insted of the user made campaigns where no matter the results you go to the next scenario? Just hopeing 4: Last but not least, could you guys given the time make something called a "campaign series of maps".? Say I wanted to make a Stalingrad campaign, but don't have the time to make alot of maps. You guy make the best maps so if you could make 4-6 in the city at different areas,we could just pick units and make our own campaigns. I also find that finding detailed maps is really hard, I personaly try to use air photos when possible. Thanks for all the great work. 3rd Recon Semper Fi

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 2
- 5/11/2000 10:25:00 PM   
Wild Bill

Good suggestions, Recon! I plan on working with Michael Wood to improve the SPWAW campaign editor to do some things that it currently cannot do. In actuality, it was originally put together hurriedly by SSI and can use some refining. We've already done a little and intend to do a whole lot more. Hopefully new campaigns will include: Spanish Civil War (A Lincoln Brigade) Nationalist-Communist China Okinawa and/or Iwo Jima Greeks - Italians Stalingrad Bagration Battle for Berlin Japan 41-45 (a new idea, playing as the Japanese from Wake through a hypothetical invasion of the home islands) Guadalcanal North Africa 41-43 Patton in Europe (you already have Patton in Tunisia) The Bulge These are a few of the ones we want to do. WB ------------------ Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 3
- 5/11/2000 10:49:00 PM   
Panther

Could you make the long campaign be playable with 2 oponnents two countries(Example east front germany russia). Both buy core units then depending on the outcome of the battle you get points to upgrade your units. For example the first battle is a meeting engagment. Then the winner gets more points he has to do an advance mission while the looser gets a delay. If you win again then you have to do an assult / defend battle. So on and so forth. The battle type selection could have some ramdoness to it depending on the final victory points from the previous battle. Then keeping track of the point totals you can have a winner at the end of the war.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 4
- 5/11/2000 10:50:00 PM   
Wild Bill

I'll pass it on, Panther. THanks...WB ------------------ Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 5
- 5/11/2000 10:51:00 PM   
3rd Recon

Thanks again, your list is impressive. I was wondering if you might be able to add at the end of your scenario text, a small bibliography say "Title and Author"? Better yet how about on your web site a recomended reading page, sort of like the Commandant of the Marine corps reccomended books. I'm a Grad student at UofM and I still cant find everything I need for history Thanks again. 3rd Recon

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 6
- 5/11/2000 11:08:00 PM   
Ziggy

Are there plans to make series of scenarios, like the KG Peiper set, Stalingrad set, Burma set or the Alaska set? Those really added to the game since they were historically based- and let you follow the flow of the battles without the hassle of trying to work through the campaign game. Also, any plan to let the campaign games branch out, instead of be so linear? The current scenarios are ok. Ziggy Bellingham, Wa.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 7
- 5/11/2000 11:36:00 PM   
Panther

I figured I try.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 8
- 5/15/2000 7:07:00 AM   
Voriax

I noticed that some scenarios have destroyed units on map when the game starts. However these units still have their full cost values and they ruin my score! I didn't wreck them, why they are counted against me.. Also these wrecked units seem to be assigned to A0. Makes me wonder if they are there accidentally or on purpose, I pondered this especially with the 'last stand at seelowe' scenario where several guns, bunkers etc are ko'd from the beginning. Then a question: Is the computer now able to perform an amphib assault when the shore is horizontal? Few such scenarios exist for SP3 and SPWW2, but they are always meant to be played human as attacker. however if I want to play the defender the computer then just parades his vessels, moving them horizontally off the map...also if it actually manages to hit the shore and for example unloads 3 AT guns plus 3 trucks for them..well it then revs up the trucks and charges the enemy and leaves the guns sitting on the beach. So can it load units on it's own? Voriax

Oh God give Me strength to accept those things I cannot change with a firearm!

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 9
- 5/15/2000 7:46:00 AM   
Big Joe

Hey how about redoing AH's raid on St.Nazziere.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 10
- 5/15/2000 7:48:00 AM   
Mark_Ezra

Are you saying I have Patton in Tunisia as a Campaign? Where?

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 11
- 5/15/2000 10:54:00 AM   
Mark_Ezra

Pack Rat Got me straightened out....Guess I didn't read the manual as Closely as I thought! Patton In Tunisia!

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 12
- 5/15/2000 6:43:00 PM   
Wild Bill

Big Joe, I did St. Nazaire in SPWW2 and plan on converting it to SPWAW. Look for it soon. I'll be checking on the Eagles this morning...thanks for the send!..WB ------------------ Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 13
- 5/15/2000 6:43:00 PM   
Wild Bill

Voriax, I replied to your post under a new topic. Be sure and look for it...WB ------------------ Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 14
- 5/15/2000 7:43:00 PM   
Voriax

quote:

Originally posted by Wild Bill: Voriax, I replied to your post under a new topic. Be sure and look for it...WB
Yeah, I noticed. Now this may be a tough request but how about some scenarios from not so well known battles? Of course it's understandable that there are scenarios about Prokhorovka or D-day but sometimes I get the feeling that when a new game is done scenarios get converted. Italians in Ethiopia? Didn't brits have some fighting in Palestinia before the war? Russians vs Japan in Manchuria 1939? Voriax

Oh God give Me strength to accept those things I cannot change with a firearm!

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 15
- 5/15/2000 9:42:00 PM   
Big Joe

Bill, I'll have to go back and check for it in SPWW2. Are you guys working on time specific or movement triggerd events? I really appreciate your fast response on eagles. I'll check back after work.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 16
- 5/15/2000 9:59:00 PM   
jmo1

I would like to see scenarios covering early war years 1939-40. Germany vs any minor country (e.g. Belgium, Holland, Norway) or Italy vs Greece would be nice.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 17
- 5/16/2000 3:18:00 AM   
StuNZ

quote:

Originally posted by Wild Bill: So, any comments, suggestions, criticisms as to scenarios can be aired here and I will do my best to answer you.
Any chance of a campaign dealing with Crete from the allied side? (namely the Anzac's - not that I'm biased or anything mind ) With the airborne code in, it would be something to see, the first battle of that!

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 18
- 5/16/2000 4:43:00 AM   
Supervisor

I'm still waiting on the hypotheticals you 'promised' me Bill...

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 19
- 5/16/2000 12:02:00 PM   
Wild Bill

Is that Night Crawler? Most of what you have mentioned is already on our list. Italians-Ethiopians, Spanish Civil War, Finland, Norway, Italy vs Greece, more NA, and a host of others, some well known, some not so well known. A Crete campaign is being done as we speak (Sorry StuNZ, from the German side, but you have JU-52s and gliders for your pleasure!), A Japanese campaign, 41-45, A Patton in Europe campaign, one on the Texas Division in Italy, battles from Okinawa Iwo Jima, Burma, China, maybe some Arab-Israeli 48 battles, and on we could go. Of course a good scenario requires time and testing, up to 20 hours for each..and you can multiply that by 4-8 for a campaign. So they don't just pop out. They take some maturing and refining and some good historical research. Jon asked about hypotheticals. Check out the upcoming ones from Redleg, Bridgehead and expansion of a Bridgehead 44, East Front. So many battles, so little time (G) ...The visionary Kunel ------------------ Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 20
- 5/16/2000 10:56:00 PM   
Spanky

Hey WB, This is a suggestion I had previously made to Don Goodbrand regarding SPWW2. How about modifying the campaign editor / campaign system so that when starting out on the first mission (in a premade campaign), you could actually choose as to whether to buy and deploy yourself, as you would normally do, or whether to stick with a battle group and/or deployment already preset by the scenario designer? Technically, you'd be playing a regular scenario, then carrying those troops over to the rest of the campaign. The cool thing about it is that it would add some drama, or immersion if you will, to playing a campaign. For example, you'd have the chance of commanding the actual Kampfgruppe Peiper, starting out from a historical situation they were in, and "taking over" from there. I'm sure you'll agree that a good "pre-scripted" scenario can be excellent for setting the stage for a campaign. And compared to the "series" concept, you'd have more of a feeling that you're actually in command, since you get to manage the outfit's ressources, your decisions have a long term effect, etc. What do you think?

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 21
- 5/17/2000 12:56:00 AM   
canuck

How about a "D-Day Dodger" campaign of Canadians in Italy?

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 22
- 5/17/2000 1:06:00 AM   
Wild Bill

The Canucks are on our mind, Canuck. With Frank Donati and Stuart Millis a part of the team, we ain't about to ignore you guys. Dieppe is a good one that needs to be done, and some others. As for the suggestion by Spanky of pre-selected or pick your own for a campaign, pretty neat idea. Never thought of that. I'll consult programming guru Michael Wood and see what the possibilities are. I would think it could be done..Thanks for sharing that one...WB ------------------ Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 23
- 5/17/2000 3:56:00 AM   
talon

I liked a few Scenarios on the war in Poland perhaps Bzura or some Battle of Guderian . A Campain on Poland would also be great because this makes it more complete . I think the scenarios and campains wich came with the game are great but the early war is almost completly left out . France and Norway could also be used more .

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 24
- 5/17/2000 6:07:00 AM   
Wild Bill

I agree. The mainstream of nominal gamers pass over these sometimes, but I enjoy them and I learn from them. We will try to do some on those thems, Talon!... ------------------ Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 25
- 5/17/2000 6:30:00 AM   
Supervisor

Yes Bill, it's me (NC). I was talking about the German invasion of USA hypotheticals. I know your time is limited, I was just messing with ya...

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 26
- 5/22/2000 11:31:00 AM   
Six-pk

Hi WB! Could ya rewrite from SPWW2's "Find the 43rd" for SPWAW? I dig that one! Thx's! ------------------ Six-pk

Six-pk

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 27
- 5/22/2000 12:00:00 PM   
Scot

Where will I be able to download all of these campaigns once they are ready?Anything Canadian would be my preference, a campaign especially.

Air Son Ar Duthchais

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 28
- 5/22/2000 12:10:00 PM   
Wild Bill

Actually, NC, I did one on an invasion of the US in late 45, called "Into the Eagle's Nest" in another version of SP. I plan to adapt it to this one. Pretty cool with German amphibious craft, gliders, transports, jet aircraft...A little wild! Find the 43rd is coming, 6 Pack! All of them as they become available, Scot, will be found in the Game Depot under the SPWAW gaming site. http://www.matrixgames.com/spwaw/ Then go to Game Depot for the latest. Plus we'll be putting up scenarios and campaigns on the Raider site and SP Arsenal. http://wbr.thegamers.net http://sparsenal.thegamers.net And we'll try to mention them here on the forum. There are three new ones plus a revised Eagles campaign that went up this week and more are on the way, plus the 50 you have already in the game. New campaigns include Crete and one called "A Rising and Setting Sun." They'll be ready before too long. We're not through yet, by any means Wild Bill ------------------ Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 29
- 5/22/2000 12:53:00 PM   
Scot

Its good to know where to get all of these goodies. I know I have already said this before but I think that the Canadian involvement is largely under rated in most games I've played. The only time I see Canadian units is when they are with much larger British formations (that is in other games, I would never dare to say anything bad about this magnificent game you guys have put so much time into), and never have I seen them by themselves in a campaign. as we did contribute almost a million men to the effort, and out of the 5 divisions to assault the Normandy coast we contributed 1(thought I would say that because I've played many D-Day scenarios in several games and I can't remember ever seeing Canadians). I have just always longed for a Canadian Campaign and since this is my favorite game and you are currently creating campagns I thought I would throw in my 2 cents.

Air Son Ar Duthchais

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Scenarios in SPWAW - Talk to Me Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI