Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

editor and UI questions and thoughts

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> editor and UI questions and thoughts Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
editor and UI questions and thoughts - 7/18/2017 10:41:53 AM   
Bmorgan077

I was not sure if I should put this here or in the editor area. It will cover things that are
in a few areas.

Editor. Love the editor, best I ever used, I am not a programing guru so I may have missed
these answers but here goes.

1. Is there any way to make changes global? IE. if I want to change something for all nations
can I or do I have to do every nation separate?

2. Can I update an edited game to the latest version of scripts and map changes? Or apply
my changes to the updated game? IE. in my edited game (1.04)the Italians still show up in NA,
and the Pryete (spelling) marsh road is still there.
Or do I have to take the latest version and reedit at each update?

3. In the editor is there a total number column? IE. to simulate German's cottage industry
I raised town and settlement values and lowered the city value but could not tell how much
the total MPPs changed.

4. When you make a unit value change, can you apply it to units on the map without going to
each unit and changing its properties?

UI. Interface could be a little friendlier.

1. should be able to jump from research, build, diplomacy etc. without having to close the
last one and also stay with the same nation when you do change.

2. mouse movement, it seems like when you have to do multi-clicks, they are allover the
screen, top left to bottom right to top right to middle to bottom left. OK that unit is done
and on to the next one of 50. The most common next click should appear under your pointer.

3. I wish the zoom out map would show the convoy routes. I know there in a convoy map but
that does not show units or the real path and to go into maps to plan each U-boot is
inconvenient.

Gameplay
1. My rage quit event. U-boot killing super DDs that seem to have unlimited movement
and always know where my subs are. OK it may not be that bad but it's bad. A sub off
Labrador gets spotted and attacked by 4 DDs and 2 Cls, next turn a sub near Scapa flow
gets spotted and attacked by 3 DDs and 2 Cls. Funny, when I play the Allies I don't have
this many sub hunters let alone the ability to spot subs anywhere in the ocean.

2. events. It would be a nice add if sometimes these events had different outcomes.
IE. Graf Spree survives, Gone With The Wind a flop, Polish DDs sunk trying to run.

Just my thoughts and questions
Thanks

Post #: 1
RE: editor and UI questions and thoughts - 7/18/2017 4:57:54 PM   
BillRunacre

Hi Bmorgan077

Good questions and it's great to hear you're enjoying the Editor.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bmorgan077

1. Is there any way to make changes global? IE. if I want to change something for all nations
can I or do I have to do every nation separate?

I'm afraid that you'll have to apply them to all separately.

quote:

2. Can I update an edited game to the latest version of scripts and map changes? Or apply
my changes to the updated game? IE. in my edited game (1.04)the Italians still show up in NA,
and the Pryete (spelling) marsh road is still there.
Or do I have to take the latest version and reedit at each update?

It really depends what you've changed in your own edited game.

For instance, if it's just that you've added/amended a few scripts, you could always recreate your campaign by saving the latest version of the official campaign with a new name, and changing those scripts in it.

Alternatively, if you've not amended your campaign's map since creating your own, you could always use the Export/Import feature to export relevant layers of detail from an official campaign to import it into yours.

You can then import as many or as few aspects of the official campaign as you desire into yours. However, each aspect is all encompassing, e.g. if you choose to import the Resource data, it will change ALL resources in your campaign to match the official campaign. The same applies to everything else.

If you've made lots and lots of changes in all kinds of areas, then you could possibly selectively import some layers, and then manually change other areas.

quote:

3. In the editor is there a total number column? IE. to simulate German's cottage industry
I raised town and settlement values and lowered the city value but could not tell how much
the total MPPs changed.

The only way to tell this is to play a turn and see what difference it might have made.

I agree that having some statistical information on the MPPs produced by each country would be useful for design.

quote:

4. When you make a unit value change, can you apply it to units on the map without going to
each unit and changing its properties?

Yes, the only units that you would need to remove from the map and replace after changing their properties are:

Any in Transports or Amphibious Transports.
HQs if amending their command rating.

All others are automatically updated with the new stats.

Note that benefits from Automatic Research categories won't show in the Editor, but they will show in game.

I hope this helps with the questions. Thanks also for your other comments. The Editor is significantly better than it used to be, and maybe it will get better yet with time.

Bill

< Message edited by Bill Runacre -- 7/18/2017 5:02:15 PM >

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/

(in reply to Bmorgan077)
Post #: 2
RE: editor and UI questions and thoughts - 7/18/2017 5:23:58 PM   
sPzAbt653

1. What about 'Apply Data' ? I have found that this can be dangerous to use, but if I keep my wits about me it does make global changes.

(in reply to BillRunacre)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> editor and UI questions and thoughts Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI