Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Converting imports between databases

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Converting imports between databases Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Converting imports between databases - 7/19/2017 8:04:56 AM   
subroc2

Im just putting my thought here if someone more skilled in coding would say "This is easy, give me a couple of days and ill fix it for you..."

I have been thinking about how a conversiontools for .inst files could be done at least for Facilities. Right now i manually edit the files to change between databases but this should from a logical perspective be easy to automate. The problem is dont code (except from peek and poke on a C64 a couple of hundred years ago.

The pseudocode for the operation would be:

read .inst
check which "DB_ID" it uses
analyze what "Member_DBID" is present in the file
match "Member_DBID" to a "MemberName"
present the found "Member_DBID", "MemberName" and occurrences for all in a "left column"
present a drop-down list of which database it should be converted to (db3k/cwdb)
present a drop-down list in the right column for each instance 
The drop-down list would include all facilites for the selected "convert-to database"
Then some sort och search and replace to edit the .inst
A Convert button to Save as a new .inst

I will try to achieve this, but as house, wife, kids, work take a lot of my time and i need to learn to code again my project plan expand in to 2030 :) Will update this post when (or rather if) any progress is made
Post #: 1
RE: Converting imports between databases - 7/19/2017 2:20:09 PM   
mikmykWS

Yeah it's definitely a project. You'd use regular expressions to convert a couple fields from one ID to the other. The issue is modern structures that didn't exist in the really early years. I ran across this when doing Cuban CWDB.

Mike

< Message edited by mikmyk -- 7/19/2017 2:21:09 PM >

(in reply to subroc2)
Post #: 2
RE: Converting imports between databases - 7/20/2017 10:58:10 AM   
Zaslon

Great idea.
It's a pain in the a** create infrastructures in CWDB that already exist in DB3K.

Kids think about Iran and Amateurs think about Russia, but professionals think about China

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 3
RE: Converting imports between databases - 7/21/2017 10:57:51 AM   
subroc2

As the import file seems to be some sort of JSÓN format, i think i will need to learn Java. The coding seems pretty straightforward but i think the gui side of this will take some time to master.

(in reply to Zaslon)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Converting imports between databases Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI