Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Glvaca v Panzerjeager Hortlund (no Hortlund)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Glvaca v Panzerjeager Hortlund (no Hortlund) Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Glvaca v Panzerjeager Hortlund (no Hortlund) - 7/21/2017 2:43:22 PM   
glvaca

quote:

ORIGINAL: Telemecus

quote:

ORIGINAL: glvaca
In contrast, the Luftwaffe was a superbly oiled machine. Expertly led, in the air and on the ground. Actually, the Ju88 is a dive bomber and in expert hands it could compete with the Ju87 in accuracy. Unfortunately (like other Russian planes) it is a level bomber (which it off course also did).

While the point is valid I just wanted to put some of the contrary views. A lot of the historical research I was reading up on actually points to the Nazi period as the most inefficient in German history. There were numerous redundancies on everything as multiple agencies were tasked with the same job and competed more on political rivalries. In a centralised system you could at least claim there is no duplication and clear lines of responsibility, in a decentralised system normally the incentive to compete on results. The Nazi system combined the worst elements of both. It successes were more due to the heroic efforts of those who worked in it than because of it.

Whatever Goerings qualities as a Nazi politician and pilot, as head of the Luftwaffe he was no asset. His deputies like Udet really did the good work - and then they started committing suicide.

Nazi administration grossly inflated equipment requirements and procurement. The dive bombing capability not just of the Ju88 but other "level bombers" was a case in point. Why create a requirement which will then not be used. Whatever the jokes about Soviet equipment it was brutally well procured. Soviet designers had the expected life spans and battle durations of equipment and reduced tolerances and design specifications accordingly. Soviet armaments were production engineer led whereas Germany was design engineer led. Soviet production tended to be on a moving assembly line with hard moulds, fixed jigs etc, German production on a standing assembly line with adjustable moulds and jigs. German procurement specifically required "flexibility" from manufacturers - and used it constantly. There were numerous variations made which were mostly "nice to haves". Nor were they block phased, they were introduced straight away. So typically on a German production line the next to be finished was a different version from the last to be commenced. Although the Tiger tank is not an aircraft, its story is analogous. The manual of the first tiger tanks boasted it took 100,000 man hours to produce, ten times more than the best Soviet tanks. It is a good tank, but not as good as ten of the best Soviet tanks.

Added to this the Luftwaffe had its own doctrinal dead ends. They never had a heavy bomber. And not only was the dive bombing capability of level bombers superfluous, even the Stuka dive bombers became worthless without air superiority. The jet fighter was needlessly delayed by the requirement that it should carry bombs. And so on.

While ultimately the Allies had the industrial might, Germany still was a major modern industrial nation. It simply should not have ceded air superiority in the west as soon as it did.

Rather than seeing the Luftwaffe as a well lead and oiled machine it would be better to see it as the enthusiastic glider pilots who learnt their war time trade fighting as the Condor Legion in Spain. They were effective as they "learnt by doing". As the core was lost and the organisation expanded it lost its edge as the allies learnt faster by doing more.

I always appreciate your comments/advice.
And I agree with most except for your last comment. It is true they used the glider schools to prepare for a new Luftwaffe during the early days of Hitler in power to get around the restrictions of Versailles. And, yes, they learnt a great deal from the condor legion in Spain. But by 1941, that was a thing of the past.

In a nutshell, my interpretation of your post exposes the weaknesses of Hitler's political rule. He created conflicting agencies who would compete for power and would come to him for a decision. For me this is "divide and rule". And, yes, Goering was an idiot addicted on morphine.

My comment was more directed at the German fighter gruppe and their commanders in the field. I recommend you read: Stopped at Stalingrad, The Luftwaffe and Hitler's defeat in the East 1942-1943, Joel S.A. Hayward.

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 151
RE: Glvaca v Panzerjeager Hortlund (no Hortlund) - 7/22/2017 8:14:48 PM   
glvaca

TURN11 NORTH START
No pics from T10 so here's the starting position on T11.
The most import thing of T10 was prediction of mud on T11 in the North Soviet zone which sets me thinking.
Von Manstein's Corps leaves Leningrad to link up with 2nd PzG remaining PzC which retreats West for some R&R out of the predicted mud. Both Corps will receive a HQ buildup this turn to form the Northern pincer for Moscow.
2 Zocced divisions just South of lake Ilmen attract a crowd. No less than 3 Airborne bgd's form a flimsy line and I have units who can get into their rear. Jummy

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by glvaca -- 7/22/2017 8:43:29 PM >

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 152
RE: Glvaca v Panzerjeager Hortlund (no Hortlund) - 7/22/2017 8:39:04 PM   
glvaca

TURN11 NORTH END
Almost forgot to mention it, the pocket North of Smolensk is completely cleaned out, finally. In between Mud and re-opening of the pocket I lose 4 turns.
II Corps (16th Army) is moved South to reinforce the drive for the Valdai.
The Killing in Leningrad goes fast and I'm getting ready to send the Fins to carry the attack forwards on the lower Volkhov.
Reinhardt's PzC is getting ready to leave Leningrad.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by glvaca -- 7/22/2017 8:42:36 PM >

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 153
RE: Glvaca v Panzerjeager Hortlund (no Hortlund) - 7/22/2017 9:09:36 PM   
glvaca

TURN11 CENTRE/SOUTH START
As in the Centre/North I pull out the Panzers for some R&R and mostly to get them out the mud zone. My plan is to skirt the Mud zone and strike towards Bryansk using 2 PzC of PzG3 and the borrowed PzC of PzG2. And off course the infantry of 4th Army and Corps from 18th and 6th Army who have been drawn ever more North.
All these PzC have received a HQ buildup the turn before and are still in very good shape.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 154
RE: Glvaca v Panzerjeager Hortlund (no Hortlund) - 7/22/2017 9:45:29 PM   
glvaca

TURN11 CENTRE/SOUTH END
The PzC from the South cuts a wide path going North and ends up just were it is needed. I know the pocket is loose and will be broken but the Bryansk line is definitely broken.
I also displace a couple of airbases which helps with causing losses to his air force.
Next turn, I should have close to full movement and a lot of infantry to consolidate the pocket.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 155
RE: Glvaca v Panzerjeager Hortlund (no Hortlund) - 7/23/2017 8:58:51 AM   
glvaca

TURN11 SOUTH START
The PzC in the red circle was moved over the Dnepr last turn and received a buildup. It will now spearhead the drive for Stalino.
If people complain about Panzers never running out of fuel, well, I can certainly attest they do! HQ buildup's are a necessity, especially in the South but also in the Centre.
As was visible on a previous screenshot, Kharkov is abandoned after the appearance of a ton of infantry.
The road to Stalino is blocked by a checkerboard defence that will eat mvpts.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by glvaca -- 7/23/2017 8:59:32 AM >

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 156
RE: Glvaca v Panzerjeager Hortlund (no Hortlund) - 7/23/2017 9:22:18 AM   
glvaca

TURN11 SOUTH END
Stalino is to well defended for a hasty attack by only one Panzer Div. Gorlov & Makeeva are not and fall with some industry left.
I simply don't have the movement to protect against Cav divisions with a lot of movement and, off course, he will take advantage of that. Still, the breach is made, and Rostov is now in my sights.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 157
RE: Glvaca v Panzerjeager Hortlund (no Hortlund) - 7/23/2017 9:23:23 AM   
glvaca

OOB
Notice the dramatic drop in Russian Armour after the elimination of the Smolensk/Leningrad pockets.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by glvaca -- 7/23/2017 9:24:38 AM >

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 158
RE: Glvaca v Panzerjeager Hortlund (no Hortlund) - 7/23/2017 9:25:09 AM   
glvaca

GROUND
The captured trucks almost compensate for the lost trucks doing build-ups. My truck pool is still at 190K

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by glvaca -- 7/23/2017 9:26:27 AM >

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 159
RE: Glvaca v Panzerjeager Hortlund (no Hortlund) - 7/23/2017 9:29:03 AM   
glvaca

AIR
A better turn for the Luftwaffe. I'm still almost 8-1 ahead. Not bad but could have been much better.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 160
RE: Glvaca v Panzerjeager Hortlund (no Hortlund) - 7/23/2017 2:09:11 PM   
Telemecus

quote:

If people complain about Panzers never running out of fuel, well, I can certainly attest they do!

Perhaps we should leave them in the middle of the Sahara desert with a Panzer and see if they change their mind?

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 161
RE: Glvaca v Panzerjeager Hortlund (no Hortlund) - 8/1/2017 8:13:56 PM   
glvaca

quote:

ORIGINAL: Telemecus

quote:

If people complain about Panzers never running out of fuel, well, I can certainly attest they do!

Perhaps we should leave them in the middle of the Sahara desert with a Panzer and see if they change their mind?

that's probably the best one I've heard all year

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 162
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Glvaca v Panzerjeager Hortlund (no Hortlund) Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI