Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Supply and special units?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Supply and special units? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Supply and special units? - 7/22/2017 2:50:30 PM   
Bmorgan077

It seems to me that the paratroopers and commandos are almost useless. supply of 10 on the
turn of deployment and 0 the next turn if not connected to or deployed into
a supply source, or am I missing something? I thought the point of these units was to be able
to function alone and behind enemy lines for a while. Could not take Narvik until I got a
Brit HQ and 2 corps there to support the out of supply commandos. you can take Bognes but
the road reverts back when you move to attack Narvic and you are out of supply again.

also, this probably does not effect the game but the Shetlands Islands stay British after
GB is captured and you cant deploy there from assault ships, Didn't try a Para cause
I would never get it off again.
Post #: 1
RE: Supply and special units? - 7/22/2017 4:10:51 PM   
crispy131313

The units are very useful. I can not take credit for any of the below as I am the Allied player in this PBEM but my opponent has pulled off a number of successful operations with these special units (only the sprite is custom, not the units stats). Myself, I have mainly used Special Forces to capture Portuguese and Spanish Islands that the Axis were occupying, as they can disembark afterwards without adequate supply.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Bmorgan077)
Post #: 2
RE: Supply and special units? - 7/22/2017 6:53:55 PM   
Numdydar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bmorgan077

You can take Bognes but the road reverts back when you move to attack Narvic and you are out of supply again.

Exactly. This is something I mentioned in my Issues I have found thread. Friendly Ports are overwriting control of land hexes after enemy units pass through them. The only way to avoid this is to actually have a unit sit in that hex which is beyond ridiculous.

Once a land unit goes through a hex it should stay under the control of the owner until an enemy unit passes over or control changes due to an event of some kind. Not just because a port is next to it.

(in reply to Bmorgan077)
Post #: 3
RE: Supply and special units? - 7/22/2017 7:06:35 PM   
xwormwood

This is a very old SC feature. But I have to admit that I'm no fan of the "auto-conquest" by cities or ports.

"You will be dead, so long as you refuse to die" (George MacDonald)

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 4
RE: Supply and special units? - 7/24/2017 8:46:19 AM   
BPINisBACK

IMHO, i am the player who command the operations in the pictures of Crispy (above), paratroops and commandos are useful.
The question, i think, is that you have to use it carefully.
You have to think that they must be relieved in 2 turns (luckily).
So, they are useful to cut roads (mainly) or capture cities behind the frontline and (much better) far from "big" enemy forces.
More or less like this:
1. Turn 1: launching paratroops / commandos. At the same time, begins the assault of the fronline.
2. Enemys' turn: as he cannot reinforce the frontline (you have cut the lines with your paratroops or commandos), he has to focus in clear the "way to frontline" (hopefully with no strong forces).
3. Turn 2: Our second wave over the frontline continues. Some gaps are done... and some supply could be send to our units behind the line.
Etc.
So, they are usefull but in cooperation with your main offensive and, "of course", they must not be "delivered" too far from your frontline.
Just my opinion.

< Message edited by BPINisBACK -- 7/24/2017 8:47:08 AM >

(in reply to Bmorgan077)
Post #: 5
RE: Supply and special units? - 7/24/2017 11:25:47 AM   
Bmorgan077

I agree they can be useful as part of an attack, (as shown in all the map shots above) and a way to get more inf into England but they are unable to stand on their own (you know, commando stuff).
Without support, (air, ships and a hq). the commando attack at Narvik can't be done unless you get very very good die rolls with both units on the turn of deployment. My last try I got 0 damage to the garrison on the first attack and the commandos were then useless.

I think a diminishing supply number would help. Something like:
T-1 Parr 10, commandos 10
T-2 Parr 6 commandos 8
T-3 Parr 3 commandos 6
T-4 Parr 0 commandos 4
T-5 2
t-6 0

Also these units should not be able to reinforce when not connected to a proper supply line/source.

(in reply to BPINisBACK)
Post #: 6
RE: Supply and special units? - 7/24/2017 11:56:04 AM   
LiquidSky

Don't be silly. Paratroopers are not meant to spend weeks out of supply. They are not a strategic asset to be thrown willy nilly, but a support asset to assist an operation.

Market Garden is a good example of what happens to a parachute division that is left behind enemy lines in what would amount to half a turn in game.

“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great

(in reply to Bmorgan077)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Supply and special units? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI