Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: BOOTCAMP for Beginners

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: BOOTCAMP for Beginners Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: BOOTCAMP for Beginners - 7/29/2017 7:21:53 PM   
rhohltjr

Hello all,
Been away for a while. Attempting to assign pilots to groups and so far it only gives me the option to retire the pilot.
I know I used to do this all the time. Has the process changed in the betas?

My e-troops don't unload OVER THE BEACH anymore, see:
Amphibious Assault at Kota Bharu
TF 85 troops securing a beachhead at Kota Bharu, 51,75
whew! I still feel better.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 61
RE: BOOTCAMP for Beginners - 7/29/2017 7:48:55 PM   
btd64

Post a picture. A picture is worth a thousand words....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to rhohltjr)
Post #: 62
RE: BOOTCAMP for Beginners - 7/29/2017 8:45:27 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhohltjr

Hello all,
Been away for a while. Attempting to assign pilots to groups and so far it only gives me the option to retire the pilot.
I know I used to do this all the time. Has the process changed in the betas?

Before you can post selected pilots to groups you need vacancies, so send the pilots you do NOT want to the General Reserve (just called the "Reserve" on the air group pilot screen).
Once you have vacancies, choose "Select veteran" to pick the pilots you want.
That's about the extent of my experience with the subject. I think there is a way to mass select experienced pilots but I am not familiar with it.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to rhohltjr)
Post #: 63
RE: Useful Info for Beginners - 2/1/2018 3:59:40 PM   
wegman58

Bump

(in reply to Skyros)
Post #: 64
RE: Useful Info for Beginners - 6/27/2018 8:44:34 PM   
USSAmerica

Bumping this one too.

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to wegman58)
Post #: 65
RE: BOOTCAMP for Beginners - 6/28/2018 1:59:31 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy
I think there is a way to mass select experienced pilots but I am not familiar with it.

Easy peasy. BBfanboy got it started. "Select Veteran". Make sure your "Reserve" pool is selected (instead of the TRACOM or Replacement) will bring you to your pool of reserve pilots that are relevant. For the Japanese, it's IJAAF and IJNAF. Two totally different populations of pilots depending on the group trying to draw replacements.

Once your reserve population is selected (there should be a lot of dudes in there), the default 'sorting' is by experience level. If you want to sort based upon skills for fighter pilots, for example, you'd click on the header for "Air" and the pilots are sorted based on highest air skill rating. You can identify the individual pilot by clicking on their name and they'll be added (per the far right hand column) to the air group you are trying to get them into. There will be a delay of 1-7 days ascribed their arrival in the unit.

For mass recruitment, see the buttons at the bottom that allow you to get either 5 or 10 at a whack based upon the highest (or lowest) rated skills selected. Give it a try. Pretty straightforward.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 66
RE: Useful Info for Beginners - 7/22/2018 5:42:40 PM   
wegman58

Bump.

(in reply to Skyros)
Post #: 67
RE: Useful Info for Beginners - 12/15/2018 11:08:38 AM   
SparkleyTits

This is brilliant, thank you for all your hard work!

(in reply to wegman58)
Post #: 68
RE: Useful Info for Beginners - 12/24/2018 2:10:02 PM   
Macclan5

Grand Campaign

When you're ready for the Grand Campaign then the very place to start is Sardaukar's excellent tutorial guide or see his newer guide

Early war Allies strategy

Allied fuel & supply logistics

Kull has also produced spreadsheets showing good initial orders (vs AI) for first turn of the campaign for Allies and Japan

-

* I cannot amend the original post of course - but I would add the following AAR for new and newish players.

Schlussel covers some of the same ground as Sardaukar's excellent tutorial.

However his also has a nicely detailed focus on logistics and supply through 1942 / 43 for the Allied Player.

"Supply Supply Supply - Search Search Search - Recon Recon Recon" may be the mantra but its very informative.

Back for the First Time – Allied AAR vs. AI - War in the Pacific: Admirals Edition

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3901974

< Message edited by Macclan5 -- 12/24/2018 2:11:49 PM >

A People that values its privileges above it's principles will soon loose both. Dwight D Eisenhower.

(in reply to SparkleyTits)
Post #: 69
RE: Useful Info for Beginners - 1/15/2019 8:36:06 PM   
tverse

Bump...this list/thread has been very helpful. Thought I would move back to the top before it got lost.

(in reply to Macclan5)
Post #: 70
RE: Useful Info for Beginners - 6/13/2019 4:23:43 PM   
USSAmerica

Bump back to page 1.

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to tverse)
Post #: 71
RE: Useful Info for Beginners - 6/13/2019 10:09:16 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: USSAmerica

Bump back to page 1.

I see your bump and raise you 1

Attachment (1)

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 72
RE: Useful Info for Beginners - 12/25/2019 9:01:17 AM   
LGKMAS

Just started getting across this. I did play UV for some years then upgraded to a new laptop and Windows 10 and found UV was not able to be played in W10 without serious modifications which, being a dyed in the wool luddite, I had no understanding of what to do. So decided to go whole hog and get into WITP AE.
Started doing Kulls spreadsheet and staring to understand some underlying principles. Also reading a number of AARs and seeing what needs to be done. However, (isn't there always a however?) I am finding some of the jargon being used a bit confusing. A umber of terms I have not been able to locate in the manual.
People talk about "prepping " for amphibious assaults. Is this the same as setting future objectives?
4e and 2e refer to 4 engine aircraft and 2 engine aircraft, i.e. bombers like B-17(4E) and B-25 (2E)?
Naval support forces. I was looking at Kull's spreadsheet (bloody marvellous for a newby) and I came across LCUs (Land Combat Units???) labelled USN Port Services. I gather from the manual these give the Allies a great advantage but I have not been able to find them in the OOB. I am playing scenario 6 ( 8 Dec Start). Where are they?
I have been entering Kulls spreadsheet for a week now and I am only up to Calcutta. RL, especially at this time of the year, tends to get in the way. Hopefully I will finish the orders phase by the end of the weekend and be able to press "end of orders phase" and see what happens.
But I am already hooked.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 73
RE: Useful Info for Beginners - 12/25/2019 2:59:46 PM   
Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: LGKMAS

Just started getting across this. I did play UV for some years then upgraded to a new laptop and Windows 10 and found UV was not able to be played in W10 without serious modifications which, being a dyed in the wool luddite, I had no understanding of what to do. So decided to go whole hog and get into WITP AE.
Started doing Kulls spreadsheet and staring to understand some underlying principles. Also reading a number of AARs and seeing what needs to be done. However, (isn't there always a however?) I am finding some of the jargon being used a bit confusing. A umber of terms I have not been able to locate in the manual.

People talk about "prepping " for amphibious assaults. Is this the same as setting future objectives?

Yes

4e and 2e refer to 4 engine aircraft and 2 engine aircraft, i.e. bombers like B-17(4E) and B-25 (2E)?

Yes

Naval support forces. I was looking at Kull's spreadsheet (bloody marvellous for a newby) and I came across LCUs (Land Combat Units???)

Yes

labelled USN Port Services. I gather from the manual these give the Allies a great advantage but I have not been able to find them in the OOB. I am playing scenario 6 ( 8 Dec Start). Where are they?

A is at Penrhyn Island
B is at Seattle
C is at San Diego
D is at Pearl Harbor
E is at Christmas Island
F is at Cristobal

I have been entering Kulls spreadsheet for a week now and I am only up to Calcutta. RL, especially at this time of the year, tends to get in the way. Hopefully I will finish the orders phase by the end of the weekend and be able to press "end of orders phase" and see what happens.
But I am already hooked.

Alfred

(in reply to LGKMAS)
Post #: 74
RE: Useful Info for Beginners - 12/25/2019 7:07:04 PM   
PaxMondo

quote:

Just started getting across this. ...
But I am already hooked.

Poor soul. We will add you to the list of 'the harvested'.

Pax

(in reply to LGKMAS)
Post #: 75
RE: Useful Info for Beginners - 12/25/2019 7:51:17 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Hopefully I will finish the orders phase by the end of the weekend and be able to press "end of orders phase" and see what happens.

Before you push the 'end orders' button, please make sure you save the game first. Lots of tales of woe from players that didn't save their massive first turn orders before hitting 'end orders'.

(in reply to LGKMAS)
Post #: 76
RE: Useful Info for Beginners - 12/28/2019 5:30:00 AM   
LGKMAS

Just finished the first turn orders entry marathon. And Yes I have Saved it. My brain needs an alcohol rub, it hurts so much.
Hopefully, most of this will simply be now background stuff. Training takes time so a quick look at units training etc should be all that is needed. A large number of units are marching or Strat moving so will be occupied for a few days and won't need input from me.
I fully intend to save every turn for the first few months so I can see where I have made a mistake. At least with the first turn saved, I can restart anytime I want. BTW, Playing Allied vs Jap AI starting scenario 6, 8 Dec.
Had to re-read the manual a number of times as some areas seem counter-intuitive. ie. Air Transport Pickup troops. It looked as though I could not pick up troops. I pushed the troop transport button a number of times but no drop down to tell me what was available. All I was getting was a troop unit at the home base, which I definitely did not want to transport away. Then I clicked on destination and suddenly the Troop Pickup arrow activated and the available pickups looked more like what I wanted.
If you have played a number of games, it is obvious but trying to solo it is difficult. I want to thank all who have added little snippets of wisdom to this forum. I have stayed up way too late for domestic harmony reading the hints and clues and suggested strategies. Hopefully some will have sunk in.
I am a bit wary of pushing the end orders button just at the moment. Superstitious? Bloody oath, I am! So I might sleep on it, maybe running over a number of areas in my head before I do it tomorrow morning.
Wish me luck!

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 77
RE: Useful Info for Beginners - 12/28/2019 8:34:32 AM   
LGKMAS

While waiting for the right moment to push the button, I have been looking at a number of posts. I see continual reference to something called Tracker. AIUI, it takes your saved files and extracts data from them to help you make sense of what just happened. Is this correct? How useful is it? As a newbie, is it something I should get a grip on? Given how big the whole game is, anything that simplifies feedback would be welcomed.
If the general consensus is that I cannot do without it, where do I download this and where is there a tutorial on how to use it? Or does it come with its own tutorial?

(in reply to LGKMAS)
Post #: 78
RE: Useful Info for Beginners - 12/28/2019 10:34:24 AM   
Trugrit

You don't need to get Tacker now.

It is very useful if you play Japan but not necessary for the Allies.

Just focus on learning the game mechanics, don't worry about getting Tracker.

(in reply to LGKMAS)
Post #: 79
RE: Useful Info for Beginners - 12/28/2019 11:17:23 AM   
LGKMAS

Thanks for that. I am always wary about things that seem to promise the earth and yet only give you dirt. I will wait and see what my first turn results show me. I am still waiting for tomorrow to do it. time now 2315hrs Saturday. I will push the button at 1000hs Sunday my time. Hopefully I won't be suddenly inundated with IJN/IJA walkovers.

(in reply to Trugrit)
Post #: 80
RE: Useful Info for Beginners - 12/28/2019 11:23:42 AM   
Trugrit

I did not mean to say it was dirt.

It is a very useful program for both the Allies and Japan.
It is just less necessary for the Allies.

You are going to want to use it someday you just don't need it right now.

(in reply to LGKMAS)
Post #: 81
RE: Useful Info for Beginners - 12/28/2019 1:58:14 PM   
Kursk1943

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

Hopefully I will finish the orders phase by the end of the weekend and be able to press "end of orders phase" and see what happens.

Before you push the 'end orders' button, please make sure you save the game first. Lots of tales of woe from players that didn't save their massive first turn orders before hitting 'end orders'.

If I push the "end orders" button in my games there is always automatically a socalled "preturnsave" done. I can always reload it, if I forgot something.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 82
RE: Useful Info for Beginners - 12/28/2019 4:17:34 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kursk1943

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

If I push the "end orders" button in my games there is always automatically a socalled "preturnsave" done. I can always reload it, if I forgot something.

Yes, that is in one of the first three saved games slots that you should not erase or use for your own game save. Those three will be overwritten each turn so if you want to have your own saves that go back several turns, start with the fourth slot (003, if the first one is 000) for you own saves that you want to keep a while.
I put the game date on my own saves, and it takes hours to do a turn so I save several times during my input. This has paid off many times when I break for the night and Microsoft decides it needs to update Windows some more and restarts the computer. Sometimes I also like to go back and look at a turn done some time back to see what the overall situation looked like then, to get a sense of progress or regress as applicable!

(in reply to Kursk1943)
Post #: 83
RE: Useful Info for Beginners - 12/28/2019 5:12:28 PM   
Kursk1943

I put the game date on my own saves, and it takes hours to do a turn so I save several times during my input.

1+

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 84
RE: Useful Info for Beginners - 12/28/2019 6:16:03 PM   
traskott

Hello

I need advice of how to organize allied OOB from 1943 to the end of game. I'm played a PBEM against Dan (hello!!) an playing with stacking limits.

I don't have any clue of how to represent the organization of the troops I have in mind, in a way which can 'easily' transfered to the game.

How do you manage so large OOBs guys? Thanks in advance.

(in reply to Kursk1943)
Post #: 85
RE: Useful Info for Beginners - 12/29/2019 2:13:21 AM   
BBfanboy

Here's a China Chart that could help you if you are Allies:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to traskott)
Post #: 86
RE: Useful Info for Beginners - 12/29/2019 2:20:04 AM   
BBfanboy

And another chart for China. I did not do these - one of our newer players produced these about a year ago, but only for China.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 87
RE: Useful Info for Beginners - 12/29/2019 7:17:00 AM   
traskott

Thanks

They will be very useful!

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 88
RE: Useful Info for Beginners - 12/29/2019 9:34:05 PM   
LGKMAS

Sorry, I did not mean to say it was worthless. Perhaps I came over a bit bitter but I have had occasion in the past to regret rushing out to get a program others have claimed was the best thing since sliced bread only to find it was not all they claimed it to be. Or it needed superior computer skills that they had in abundance but which are greatly lacking on my side.
I will have another look at it shortly. But can someone explain in simple laymens terms what it does and how it does it? And what are the advantages of using it? Remember this is the beginners forum.
regards

(in reply to Trugrit)
Post #: 89
RE: Useful Info for Beginners - 12/29/2019 11:07:16 PM   
Kull

In simple layman's terms, for the brand new Allied player - still learning - it will overwhelm you with even more information. Tracker is a GREAT program, but it's not necessary for the Allied player, especially somebody playing against AI Japan. There's plenty of time to add Tracker expertise to your repertoire, but the very first "Turn 2" of your very first Grand Campaign? That's not the time.

(in reply to LGKMAS)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: BOOTCAMP for Beginners Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI