Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Air to Air Tutorial 101

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Air to Air Tutorial 101 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Air to Air Tutorial 101 - 7/8/2017 11:54:42 AM   
RafaleKiwi

Sunburn asked if we could build a series of tutorials to help new players. http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4299665

I've never created any scenarios so this is my first hack. I've pitched at a very basic level - the sort of thing I would have liked to know when I started with Command. Experienced players will think they are getting spamed with all the pop ups, but I'm trying to explain what is happening when it happens.

Comments / feedback appreciated.

I've uploaded the scenario in this post, and the following post will have a Word Doc as a companion with the text in it.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by RafaleKiwi -- 7/14/2017 10:09:04 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Air to Air Tutorial 101 - 7/8/2017 11:57:21 AM   
RafaleKiwi

Word Document Attached.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by RafaleKiwi -- 7/14/2017 10:10:11 AM >

(in reply to RafaleKiwi)
Post #: 2
RE: Air to Air Tutorial 101 - 7/14/2017 4:02:06 AM   
Lihnit23

This was a good intro to the game. Except for a few typos, things look good. I especially appreciate your "holding my hand" approach. Do some more tutorials please.

(in reply to RafaleKiwi)
Post #: 3
RE: Air to Air Tutorial 101 - 7/14/2017 10:37:52 AM   
RafaleKiwi

Hi Lihnit23

Thanks for the feedback - and appreciated too.

I spent 50 odd hours learning how to create a scenario and them building it, when I could have started CoW instead. (Yes sad – I haven’t even opened apart to confirm it’s installed okay since downloading it).
Not that I’m doing this for gratification, my motivation is to support the user community, particularly the new members who are starting their learning journey of Command. But conversely I don’t want to waste my time if it’s of no value.

I've updated the scenario and the accompanying doc file to V1.1 so I hope I’ve fixed all the typos. If I haven’t either edit the word doc or post directly please so I can get it right.

I am currently working on 102 that will cover: setting reference points, Air to Air patrol Mission(s) and assigning aircraft using various means, ESM, Radar detection in relation to a target’s height, Air to Air refueling, and readying aircraft.

Regards Paul

(in reply to Lihnit23)
Post #: 4
RE: Air to Air Tutorial 101 - 7/26/2017 2:07:19 AM   
Gunner98

Paul
Just went through this one. Very thorough, and a lot of work - well done. A couple of minor points:

In the first message, you could probably mention the 'space bar' for pausing and unpausing the game. I may have missed it in other messages so if its already there disregard.

The Side Doctrine has Radars on - so the message at about 0704 'EMCON' is a bit out of whack. Suggest turning the Side Doctrine Off and then turning the radars back on, you can select them all at once and turn them on together.

The messages 'Contact' and 'Bogie ID'd' are received several minutes after he was positively ID'd. If you used the Detection trigger and adjust the level of detection you can control that much better.

Looking forward to your next one.

B

(in reply to RafaleKiwi)
Post #: 5
RE: Air to Air Tutorial 101 - 7/30/2017 2:49:40 PM   
kbrown1950

thanks for your efforts, I really enjoyed going thru 101 and encourage you to accomplish 102. Thanks again.

(in reply to RafaleKiwi)
Post #: 6
RE: Air to Air Tutorial 101 - 7/30/2017 7:50:58 PM   
Rosseau

Thank you. I happened to go through that old tutorial scenario about simply basing some aircraft, equipping the airfield, loading up and flying to a mission kill. Couldn't do it! You really need the kind of detail you provided in your tutorial. Also, the game has been patched so much (good thing) that some stuff has changed since the old tutorials were made.

I taught myself World in Flames, but this game - forget it

(in reply to kbrown1950)
Post #: 7
RE: Air to Air Tutorial 101 - 7/31/2017 9:10:38 PM   
Yvonmukluk

I tried it, and it was great! Looking forward to A2A 102.

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 8
RE: Air to Air Tutorial 101 - 8/1/2017 8:40:29 AM   
RafaleKiwi

Hi all thanks for your feedback A to A 102 will come, but real life is getting in the way. Work / Family / marathon training / selling a house... you get the idea. End of the month maybe?

Gunner I didn't know about the Space Bar - will add it. Reference
quote:

The messages 'Contact' and 'Bogie ID'd' are received several minutes after he was positively ID'd. If you used the Detection trigger and adjust the level of detection you can control that much better.
I don't understand how to do that - so will study up on the manual - as per my disclaimer - this is the first scenario I've written.

regards Paul

(in reply to Yvonmukluk)
Post #: 9
RE: Air to Air Tutorial 101 - 8/1/2017 10:38:57 AM   
Gunner98

RafaleKiwi

One of the Trigger options for events is: 'Unit is Detected'. I didn't see much in the manual on it.

In the left column you chose which unit the detection trigger is based on
In the right column you select which level of the detection the detecting side should achieve to activate the trigger

So select the airliner in the left column
In the right column your 'Contact' message can be triggered by a detection of 'Known Domain' i.e. aircraft
the Bogie ID'd message can be triggered by a 'Precise ID' detection level

Keep at it, scenario building is one of the best parts of the game.

B

Attachment (1)

(in reply to RafaleKiwi)
Post #: 10
RE: Air to Air Tutorial 101 - 8/7/2017 6:57:16 PM   
marksdoran

I really enjoyed all the background information and context put into this scenario...added some nice color and interest around the business of learning the mechanics from the pop-up prompts. I don't really have any suggestions or feedback other than this felt like a very good gentle introduction. The list of suggested "improved" air tutorials had this one first and I think it's set up to be a good first taste -- perhaps even very first tutorial people should be directed out of all of them. Nice work! Hope you get time to work on 102 and one from there.

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 11
RE: Air to Air Tutorial 101 - 9/17/2017 2:19:29 AM   
fogrob

Just wanted to take and minute and thank you for providing this tutorial scenario. Your background information and in game instructions were invaluable for me. I felt like I was finally learning how to play the game. Looking forward to further scenarios from you!

(in reply to marksdoran)
Post #: 12
RE: Air to Air Tutorial 101 - 9/22/2017 12:29:23 AM   
T Rav

Rafale,

I picked up many good techniques, so the tutorial worked as intended. What I really liked was the thought that went into a very good scenario. You describe what it takes to defend our different nations' airspace at any time, every single day. Great pacing and use of pop-ups. Outstanding job!

Thanks,
T Rav

(in reply to fogrob)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Air to Air Tutorial 101 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI