Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Are their terrain mods yet that make the terrain less hard to look at and all trees drawn?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Scourge of War: Waterloo >> Are their terrain mods yet that make the terrain less hard to look at and all trees drawn? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Are their terrain mods yet that make the terrain less h... - 7/31/2017 12:07:26 AM   
Destraex

For a while now I simply have found this game hard to play because the terrain is so pixelated its hard to see the men and slopes. Also hard to see what is wooded and what is not at a glance because nothing is drawn by the game 2ft in front of you. It's really hard to appreciate the game this way. Hard to play it as well without a lot of map searching and correlation. It would be great somebody by now had put this in for the devs. Maybe some shadowning and light sources to make undulation easier to spot. That sort of thing.

The terrain and folliage look much better than waterloo in gettysburg. I have tried setting things to 0 etc, but still find their is a limit it seems to how many trees are shown and the terrain, the floor. It always looks like somebody just spewed on the carpet. Like an out of focus carpet photo.
However the terrain floor still looks like a movie where somebody blurred out the background to the point where it is just blur and out of focus. Except it's the foreground that is like this!!! Like blurring out the actors face as well.

Main problem is the trees though. I need 100% of them showing somehow.

Is the problem perhaps that you Gettysburg was heavily wooded and that you are showing the same ratio of trees for waterloo which may not be as heavily wooded. Leaving almost no trees?

< Message edited by Destraex -- 7/31/2017 12:40:13 AM >

Post #: 1
RE: Are their terrain mods yet that make the terrain le... - 8/11/2017 4:51:39 AM   
Philippeatbay

Haven't loaded the game yet so I can't comment on how the game depicts things.

But if you were wondering where the trees are, while there were a few large (by Belgian standards) forests scattered between Charleroi and Brussels, the large clumps of trees on the Waterloo battlefield proper were to the north or to the east of where the main fighting took place.

This is what the battlefield looked like in someone else's depiction. There weren't a whole lot of woods. A clump of trees in the parc at Hougomont, the bois de Soignes northeast of Mont St. Jean near the town of Waterloo itself, and the bois de Paris, a big wood (not part of the battlefield) between Wavre and Waterloo that masked the arrival of the Prussians off to the east. There's also some little clumps of trees behind La Haye Sainte and a small orchard in its park.

The battlefield itself was relatively open and clear, except in a few spots (Hougomont, La Haye Sainte, and Papelotte). The main features were the rolling terrain (great for reverse slope tactics) and the mud (which had pretty much dried up by 1 PM).

< Message edited by Philippe at bay -- 8/11/2017 2:21:05 PM >

(in reply to Destraex)
Post #: 2
RE: Are their terrain mods yet that make the terrain le... - 8/11/2017 2:07:34 PM   
Philippeatbay

The environs of Waterloo on a larger scale. The battle took place at the bottom of the screenshot between La Belle Alliance and Mont St. Jean. The town of Waterloo itself was nowhere near the battle.

< Message edited by Philippe at bay -- 8/11/2017 2:16:54 PM >

(in reply to Philippeatbay)
Post #: 3
RE: Are their terrain mods yet that make the terrain le... - 8/11/2017 3:10:41 PM   
Philippeatbay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Destraex

For a while now I simply have found this game hard to play because the terrain is so pixelated its hard to see the men and slopes. Also hard to see what is wooded and what is not at a glance because nothing is drawn by the game 2ft in front of you. It's really hard to appreciate the game this way. Hard to play it as well without a lot of map searching and correlation. It would be great somebody by now had put this in for the devs. Maybe some shadowning and light sources to make undulation easier to spot. That sort of thing.

The terrain and folliage look much better than waterloo in gettysburg. I have tried setting things to 0 etc, but still find their is a limit it seems to how many trees are shown and the terrain, the floor. It always looks like somebody just spewed on the carpet. Like an out of focus carpet photo.
However the terrain floor still looks like a movie where somebody blurred out the background to the point where it is just blur and out of focus. Except it's the foreground that is like this!!! Like blurring out the actors face as well.

Is the problem perhaps that you Gettysburg was heavily wooded and that you are showing the same ratio of trees for waterloo which may not be as heavily wooded. Leaving almost no trees?

I just installed the game and took a walk around the battlefield. I saw pretty much what I expected to see. Perhaps you could post some screenshots so we can understand what you're talking about.

(in reply to Destraex)
Post #: 4
RE: Are their terrain mods yet that make the terrain le... - 9/2/2017 7:52:15 PM   
Mr Digby

quote:

ORIGINAL: Destraex

For a while now I simply have found this game hard to play because the terrain is so pixelated its hard to see the men and slopes.

I don't follow. The terrain is not pixellated at all. Have you a screenshot showing pixellated terrain?

quote:

Also hard to see what is wooded and what is not at a glance because nothing is drawn by the game 2ft in front of you.

Woods are easy to see. What settings are you using? The options pages let you change the woods density a lot as well as the overall display settings.

quote:

Hard to play it as well without a lot of map searching and correlation.

Can you give an example? I have no difficulty navigating the 3D map in relation to the 2D command map.

quote:

Maybe some shadowning and light sources to make undulation easier to spot. That sort of thing.

The game is a biggish resource hog because of the AI routines. NSD already had to trade off visuals to get the AI to do what it does, apparently, so extra visuals is probably never going to happen. Its also a pretty dated game engine. However my screenshots show that subtle ground slopes and such are easy to see. If you use a helicopter camera the ground slopes and smaller subtleties will be harder to see because of your angle of view.

quote:

...still find their is a limit it seems to how many trees are shown and the terrain, the floor.

The game's maximum draw distance is 1000 yards. You will never see anything beyond that.

quote:

However the terrain floor still looks like a movie where somebody blurred out the background to the point where it is just blur and out of focus.

We'd need a screenshot because my game looks nothing whatever like that! It sounds like settings or install are screwed up or your PC has gone weird.

quote:

You can set them to 100% in the options, but the game only renders out to 1000 yards. If you play with a lower camera height you will hardly ever see the "edge of the world"

< Message edited by Mr Digby -- 9/2/2017 7:54:29 PM >

(in reply to Destraex)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Scourge of War: Waterloo >> Are their terrain mods yet that make the terrain less hard to look at and all trees drawn? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI