Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Examples of Contact Bomb in a Scenario?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Examples of Contact Bomb in a Scenario? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Examples of Contact Bomb in a Scenario? - 8/3/2017 4:56:30 AM   
coolum001

So I want to build a scenario about defending the Timor Sea Gas Platforms (FPSO = Floating Processing Storage and Offloading) from suicide boats.

I place a Civilian Dhow, and add 10,000 items of Terrorist Bomb [4kg High Explosives] (of type ContactBomb_Suicide) and run it up to DDG 39 HMAS Hobart. There is a satisfying white circle explosion after I manually assign the 10,000 units to the DDG, at a distance of about 10 metres as best I can judge.

But …..

Then I read in the log “DDG 39 Hobert has suffered blast damage 4.3 DPs”; given the HMAS Hobart has 1080 DPs, I don’t seem to have made much of an impact (certainly not as much as I expected from 40 metric tonnes of explosive very close by!).

I am almost certainly doing things wrong. Can anybody point me to a scenario that uses Terrorist Bombs in boats (or on land).

Otherwise, there another preferred way to achieve the same effect as suffered by the USS Cole (using only about 200kg of explosive in real life, according to Wikipedia)

Thanks in advance
Post #: 1
RE: Examples of Contact Bomb in a Scenario? - 8/3/2017 5:06:28 AM   
Owllord

My first idea is to use a lua script adding an explosion at the target location once the boat comes close enough to it, then deletes the suicide unit.

< Message edited by Owllord -- 8/3/2017 5:07:17 AM >

The artist known as Owl

(in reply to coolum001)
Post #: 2
RE: Examples of Contact Bomb in a Scenario? - 8/3/2017 12:00:23 PM   
Peter66

Try repeating the test several times from different angles.

"Is game hard to pick up?" <- easier to pick up than most women.

(in reply to Owllord)
Post #: 3
RE: Examples of Contact Bomb in a Scenario? - 8/3/2017 12:26:11 PM   
Primarchx

It probably procs explosives in order. So the first bomb does enough to destroy the dhow which destroys the other bombs before they can go off. Try a larger terrorist bomb, I think there's a 400kg one in there somewhere.

(in reply to Peter66)
Post #: 4
RE: Examples of Contact Bomb in a Scenario? - 8/4/2017 5:54:06 AM   
coolum001

Well, I found several things I was doing wrong. First, in the search for a weapon type, I was using a filter of 'explosive'; turns out that both 'bomb' and 'explosive' are good filters to use. Second, I now realise that I should have equipped the Dhow with an 'Explosives' weapon mount, to which I add the 'bomb' weapon record of choice. This latter step doesn't seem to be totally necessary, as you can add the 'Bomb' type weapon to the MG Mount, and it seems to work OK, but maybe down the line it wouldn't.

There is indeed a USS Cole size bomb (150kg), and four such suicide boats makes a mess of the DDG.

There is a Weapon Record called #92 High Explosives, type Contact Bomb - Sabotage; that seems to model a series of remote controlled IEDs triggered at the enemy's location when the enemy get with a certain range of the Weapon Mount. I had a mental image of a trebuchet on the Dhow hurling packets of Semtex at the DDG from a distance; a romantic notion but not very realistic.

There is indeed a 1kT Nuke Terrorist Bomb, but that is a little too big a hammer for my needs, although it could be used to create some dire scenarios.

Thanks for the help.

(in reply to Primarchx)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Examples of Contact Bomb in a Scenario? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI