Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Attention, Rat Patrollers!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Attention, Rat Patrollers! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Attention, Rat Patrollers! - 5/25/2001 2:58:00 PM   
Flashfyre

Announcing the imminent release of my campaign, "Raiders of the Sahara". Finishing touches are underway now..... Brief synopsis: During the desert campaign of 1941-1943, the British assembled a group of men familiar with desert survival. Outfitting them with specially-designed trucks, they were given the task of mapping the vast desert for Monty's Eighth Army. At the same time, Commando units were learning the fine arts of infiltration, sabotage, and intelligence-gathering, which would be so telling in later years. A chance meeting between the head of the Commando forces and the leader of the Long-Range Desert Group in Cairo led to the development of a combined-arms section, comprised of SAS and Commando troops carried by the LRDG trucks on raids against Italian and German airfields, convoys, and command posts. For you older folks, the TV show "Rat Patrol" was based on the exploits of these intrepid "sand warriors". This campaign is small (5 missions) in length, but big on surprises. As the commander of a lone LRDG, you must use your wits to achieve your mission objectives. Most battles require you to hit hard, hit fast, and escape. This is true small-unit action at it's finest. So, for those of you that want to "bloody Rommel's nose" before the Mega Campaign, here's your chance! :D Disclaimer: This campaign is still in beta-stage. I would appreciate any comments or critiques of it. I will have it posted on my website by the end of the weekend (hopefully). Anyone encountering difficulty downloading it may email me and I will see that you get a copy. Thanks in advance for your interest. "I don't know what we're getting into, but it looks pretty sticky."-unidentified British Commando officer

The Motor Pool http://www.geocities.com/aurion_eq/index.html?976419304550 [email]kmcferren@onemain.com[/email]
Post #: 1
- 5/25/2001 7:08:00 PM   
Wild Bill

Sounds great! I'll give it a try...WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Flashfyre)
Post #: 2
- 5/25/2001 10:41:00 PM   
Figmo

Sounds Great - I'll give it a try!! I think I have a sound file from the old "Rat Patrol" - loved the show, I'll send it to you if you want. That way we can play it ones or twice before starting a battle. Figmo

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, f

(in reply to Flashfyre)
Post #: 3
- 5/25/2001 11:32:00 PM   
Flashfyre

Sure thing, Figmo. If you have it, send it to me and I'll put it in. One thing I forgot to mention in my previous post: This campaign requires the use of a modified Norway OOB, which I will include in the file. Since at least one of the battles involves a raid on an airfield, I found that using the existing gliders and cargo planes did not work well. The game treats those classes as "in the air", even when immobile. So I created some new "grounded aircraft" units, which are classed as ground vehicles. As always, I would say save your original Norway OOB in another location, and when finished with Rat Patrols, replace my version. Unless you like the units, and want to use them yourself. :D

The Motor Pool http://www.geocities.com/aurion_eq/index.html?976419304550 [email]kmcferren@onemain.com[/email]

(in reply to Flashfyre)
Post #: 4
- 5/28/2001 1:29:00 PM   
Flashfyre

Ok, 'cruits! Mount up! Time ta go give Rommel a bloody nose. Raiders of the Sahara campaign is available now at the Motor Pool. Hopefully those of you that decide to give it a try will enjoy it. Please read the ReadMe text file that is included. There are some important notes on installing the files, along with some historical data on the Long Range Desert Groups.

(in reply to Flashfyre)
Post #: 5
- 5/28/2001 2:16:00 PM   
nimu

I'm going to try it:will let u know soon

"out of ammo........God save the King"

(in reply to Flashfyre)
Post #: 6
- 5/28/2001 5:48:00 PM   
nimu

Not able to replace the old Oob with the new ones:what should i do?I extracted the Oob file in the Oob Spwaw folder but nothing happened:the ground bombers still look like trucks! BTW the first scen is really well made!

"out of ammo........God save the King"

(in reply to Flashfyre)
Post #: 7
- 5/29/2001 2:44:00 AM   
MacCready

Is this campaign compatable with varoius versions of SPWAW or only one? and which one? I downloaded the campaign and look forward to hitting and running...

(in reply to Flashfyre)
Post #: 8
- 5/29/2001 3:53:00 PM   
Flashfyre

Thanks guys for giving it a shot. Designed under 5.01, but the units should work as far back as 4.5 As for the OOB....you have to replace the existing Oob86 in the Steel Panther main folder, not the OOB folder. That one only has text files. If problems still exist, let me know and I can send the OOB directly to you. If you are familiar with the OOB Editor, I can post a list of units and stats, and you can modify you own. Basically, these are "grounded" aircraft, which are easier to take out than the current cargo/glider units ('tho not that easy) :D If anyone wants the unit data for these, let me know.

(in reply to Flashfyre)
Post #: 9
- 5/30/2001 2:29:00 PM   
Flashfyre

Ok, troopers.....updated the Motor Pool with some "eyecandy" for the campaign. Thanks to Figmo for the pic and the sound file. BTW, Figmo.....had a terrible time figuring out how to convert that theme music file. Never saw a sound byte with a .AU extension. Had to talk to a friend who does multimedia stuff in order to find a conversion program for it. But....it's now a .WAV file, and you can hear it during the opening screen of the Raiders campaign, and also as background on the Battles page at the Motor Pool. :D Also added some new maps and another scenario.

(in reply to Flashfyre)
Post #: 10
- 5/30/2001 5:38:00 PM   
Figmo

Flashfyre, No prob - glad to help. BTW - how did you do that - au to wav - I'm curious? Figmo

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, f

(in reply to Flashfyre)
Post #: 11
- 5/30/2001 10:57:00 PM   
kutalik

What a cool surprise. As a kid I remeber one of the independent tv stations broadcasting the show late at night. Loved it.

(in reply to Flashfyre)
Post #: 12
- 5/30/2001 11:06:00 PM   
Flashfyre

Figmo Used GoldWave program to convert the sound file. It's an audio player/mixer/conversion program, useful if you want to create or modify audio files. Spectrograms, special effects, mixing tracks, enhancing, and more. GoldWave Audio

(in reply to Flashfyre)
Post #: 13
- 5/31/2001 6:53:00 AM   
Wild Bill

At first glance, it appears we have a winner here, Flashfyre! Your creative juices were flowing freely on this one. I am looking forward to giving it a try. I've opened it, heard the Rat Patrol music (deja vu!) and now I'm about to head out and give Rommel a headache :D Pull the fox's tail and see if he will run or bite! Nice going. More later...Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Flashfyre)
Post #: 14
- 5/31/2001 9:11:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Yes, confirmed. A great campaign so far, with the real Rat Patrol flavor. Those who play it, be sure and read the read me file first. And note the special OOB86 for this campaign. Nice to attack aircraft on the ground. I got a minor victory, but I did it Rat Patrol style, ripping and running. It was all over by turn 12 :D Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Flashfyre)
Post #: 15
- 5/31/2001 10:49:00 AM   
Flashfyre

quote:

Yes, confirmed. A great campaign so far, with the real Rat Patrol flavor.
Coming from the Great One himself, this is high praise, indeed. Glad to hear you like it, so far. ;) Most of the battles, if played fast and furious (in true Rat Patrol style), will usually be over in 12-14 turns. However....you have been given plenty of time for the stragglers (those troopers who find themselves without a truck to ride in) to "hoof it" to the exit areas. In regards to play balance, I have one major concern that I hope those of you playing it will keep in mind and provide comments on: the number of AUX support units provided, and their effect on the battle. In some, I believe there are too many; this may make your victory somewhat easier than intended. Well, time for me to go back to Stalingrad...I hear the general hollering for me.

(in reply to Flashfyre)
Post #: 16
- 6/1/2001 11:17:00 AM   
Flashfyre

Due to play balance issues and some incorrect terrain effects in some of the battles of the Rat Patrol campaign, I have tweaked these and updated the campaign file at The Motor Pool. Also, for those of you that have already gotten the original file, there is a patch file available as well. Some changes were made to the first battle (revamped the Italian actions), and also to the 4th and 5th battles. If you haven't gotten to the 4th one yet, you should be all right to just replace the affected files and continue. Apologies for this....I only recently got some feedback from my local playtesters. But the changes should make the campaign better. ;)

(in reply to Flashfyre)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Attention, Rat Patrollers! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI