Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Gnashing of Teeth: Cries of Fury

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Gnashing of Teeth: Cries of Fury Page: <<   < prev  118 119 [120] 121 122   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Gnashing of Teeth: Cries of Fury - 8/6/2017 3:16:25 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

I don't see the point of building dedicated kamikaze planes.

For the flavor of course.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 3571
RE: Gnashing of Teeth: Cries of Fury - 8/6/2017 8:33:45 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

quote:

I don't see the point of building dedicated kamikaze planes.

For the flavor of course.

Well, some people like Top Ramen, I guess...

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3572
RE: Gnashing of Teeth: Cries of Fury - 8/7/2017 6:56:31 PM   
Lowpe

Nov 18, 1943

Japanese fighters sortie at Shwebo and do some good work against the Allied bombers...

Attachment (3)

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 3573
RE: Gnashing of Teeth: Cries of Fury - 8/7/2017 6:59:56 PM   
Lowpe

Every downed Allied plane counts and today was a freebie.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3574
RE: Gnashing of Teeth: Cries of Fury - 8/9/2017 2:00:07 AM   
Lowpe

Nov 19, 1943

Kongo leads in a group for a shore bombardment of Darwin...and finds an incredible amount of PT boats. Moonlight at 53%, and clear skies leads to some great results among the PT boats who clearly thought they were on holiday.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 8/9/2017 6:19:29 PM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3575
RE: Gnashing of Teeth: Cries of Fury - 8/9/2017 2:12:45 AM   
Lowpe

Quiet day in the air by the Allies...mostly. Japan bombs these bad boys isolated in the jungle, and another group of Allied troops on the plains.

Frank Rs sweeps but no Allied fighters are up in the air.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3576
RE: Gnashing of Teeth: Cries of Fury - 8/9/2017 2:22:48 AM   
Lowpe

During the daylight, the Kongo and company sink one more PT Boat...this is perhaps the single greatest victory I have ever pulled off against PT boats. Perhaps they were docked?

I have no clue why is was so absolutely successful. Clear weather must have done it...we spotted each other at 12,000 yards. In the first fight the American radar pinged us, but in the 2nd it was a Mark I Eyeball.

The 8th Australian is now at Darwin...along with a horde of other support troops busy building the runways up. The 150 fighters and other planes were all pulled out during the day...and only a half dozen aux planes are there now. Should have gone in the night before, but I was chicken.

The Kongo only made one hex away from Darwin, but had 200 fighters flying LRCAP over her...and there were no air attacks launched by the Allies.

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 8/9/2017 2:23:19 AM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3577
RE: Gnashing of Teeth: Cries of Fury - 8/9/2017 2:23:16 PM   
crsutton

I was following this AAR up until it looked like Jocke was going to take you out on the West Coast. Then lost track. Figured that "this dude was toast" after that. Now, I caught up again and I can see that reports of your early death were highly exaggerated. Would you list major ship losses for you and estimates for Jocke to date? Thanks.

< Message edited by crsutton -- 8/9/2017 2:24:59 PM >

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3578
RE: Gnashing of Teeth: Cries of Fury - 8/9/2017 3:31:03 PM   
Lecivius

"Allied task Force attempting to get underway"..for a PT group? Never seen that before. I wonder if they really were docked, for some reason?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 3579
RE: Gnashing of Teeth: Cries of Fury - 8/9/2017 6:18:23 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

I was following this AAR up until it looked like Jocke was going to take you out on the West Coast. Then lost track. Figured that "this dude was toast" after that. Now, I caught up again and I can see that reports of your early death were highly exaggerated. Would you list major ship losses for you and estimates for Jocke to date? Thanks.

I will put something up when I get my next turn...I could load tracker up, but that takes ages and I am lazy.

Overall Japan is pretty strong, albeit with horrible experience troops that is still filling out from the Hollywood Invasion. Plane development is strong. Economy is very strong. PP scarce and used to buy out the destroyed divisions.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 3580
RE: Gnashing of Teeth: Cries of Fury - 8/9/2017 7:13:06 PM   
Lowpe

Nov 20, 1943

Allies are quiet in the air...I really haven't seen his fighters in quite a while.

Burma continues to be full of suspense...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3581
RE: Gnashing of Teeth: Cries of Fury - 8/9/2017 7:18:39 PM   
Lowpe

Major ship losses both sides.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3582
RE: Gnashing of Teeth: Cries of Fury - 8/9/2017 7:22:22 PM   
Lowpe

Master report

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3583
RE: Gnashing of Teeth: Cries of Fury - 8/9/2017 7:25:03 PM   
Lowpe

I have used the air force hard...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3584
RE: Gnashing of Teeth: Cries of Fury - 8/10/2017 1:41:07 AM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

"Allied task Force attempting to get underway"..for a PT group? Never seen that before. I wonder if they really were docked, for some reason?

Yep. Docked, or simply not patrolling.

Honestly, I do this all the time. I'm not sure it makes a difference, as the PTs should get underway quickly. And I don't want them burning through their 10 days of 1-hex PZ fuel when the port they're at likely has little (since it's on the front lines, typically).

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 3585
RE: Gnashing of Teeth: Cries of Fury - 8/10/2017 5:52:43 PM   
crsutton

I can see reason for Jocke being a little conservative. Considering the West Coast excursion, you have sufferes relatively little in ship losses, and he is just reaching parity in carriers. The VP count is really good for you. He has a lot of making up to do. Your air losses are not bad. I look at a 3-2 advantage on the Allies side as pretty good numbers. Did you take out any West Coast aircraft factories totally? Considering the disaster on the West Coast you have done a great job recovering. As for the infantry losses-well, it is a naval game in the end.

< Message edited by crsutton -- 8/10/2017 5:53:23 PM >

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 3586
RE: Gnashing of Teeth: Cries of Fury - 8/10/2017 10:04:27 PM   
witpqs

quote:

quote:

Honestly, I do this all the time. I'm not sure it makes a difference, as the PTs should get underway quickly. And I don't want them burning through their 10 days of 1-hex PZ fuel when the port they're at likely has little (since it's on the front lines, typically).

The manual says that PT boats in port will form up into a TF to defend the base. Obviously no help if you want them to React the 1 hex, but still useful.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 3587
RE: Gnashing of Teeth: Cries of Fury - 8/11/2017 3:44:41 AM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

quote:

The manual says that PT boats in port will form up into a TF to defend the base. Obviously no help if you want them to React the 1 hex, but still useful.

I've never seen that happen, although I didn't know it was a thing. I've had ports with PTs disbanded there attacked and not noticed anything.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 3588
RE: Gnashing of Teeth: Cries of Fury - 8/11/2017 10:17:57 AM   
plund

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

I've never seen that happen, although I didn't know it was a thing. I've had ports with PTs disbanded there attacked and not noticed anything.

I read the same in the manual that disbanded PT boats will form of their own accord in response to an attack. I have never seen it. Has anyone else ever encountered such an occurrence?

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 3589
RE: Gnashing of Teeth: Cries of Fury - 8/11/2017 4:19:37 PM   
Lowpe

Never seen PT or MTB sally forth to protect a port...more of an Allied tactic than JFB since ports tend to get heavily bombed by the Allies.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3590
RE: Gnashing of Teeth: Cries of Fury - 8/14/2017 4:33:27 PM   
Lowpe

Two days have gone by with little action.

Jugs sweep Magwe in large numbers, but I took a risk and put the 350 fighters there on LRCAP duty trying to anticipate a bombing run. We both missed...and no planes were lost.

The Allied Army in the central plains of Burma have now struck down the road into the jungle SW of Magwe, leaving a blocking force of 7 units at Magwe. There is an RTA Division there dug in to level 3 forts, a SNLF unit and some 47mm rapid fire AT guns. More is on the way, but won't get there before the Allies kick me out as I suspect he has now 1500 AV plus. Should be a big deal as I have interior lines and will be able to contain them (I think).

The two trapped divisions and the LRP Bde are almost out of effective AV now, so it is a matter of time to get them to surrender.

Lost track of the deathstar as it steamed east and south of Horn.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3591
RE: Gnashing of Teeth: Cries of Fury - 8/14/2017 6:40:13 PM   
Lowpe

Nov 23, 1943

A combined IJNAF and IJAAF raid goes into Buna, where recon spots very few AA guns and a busy port and runways. Oscars provided LRCAP, which wasn't needed.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3592
RE: Gnashing of Teeth: Cries of Fury - 8/14/2017 6:41:54 PM   
Lowpe

Since the Navy pilots went after the port, it seemed only right to task the IJAAF with bombing the runways.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3593
RE: Gnashing of Teeth: Cries of Fury - 8/14/2017 6:47:37 PM   
Lowpe

Burma

Allied forces moving down the road out of the plains and into the jungle...they hold a 3-1 advantage there for now. The RTA division, which is weak and bolstered only by a SNLF force and some 47mm rapidfire AT guns gets bombed.

I tried some LRCAP there and once again experimented with settings. Franks at 30K, and Oscars and Jacks down at 6 or 7K.

Didn't work against the Hellcat sweeps. I would have been better off with just Franks at 30K for LRCAP. Of note, there was no local radar present and this does make an impact in LRCAP fights.

For the day we lose 35 to 20 planes overall across the empire. Not bad, and I will take it.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3594
RE: Gnashing of Teeth: Cries of Fury - 8/15/2017 3:03:59 PM   
Lowpe

A closer look at the three Allied units isolated near Katha, Burma.

The 32nd American Division
6th Australian Division
77th LRP Brigade

The 77th LRP Brigade, along with 3 African AA units, rushed across open ground, fought their way thru the jungle to force a river crossing into Katha, opening up a hexside for the isolated 32nd and 6th Divisions to escape Katha.

Which they did, losing all three AA units in the process, only to be isolated again in the jungle SW of Katha.

Now, because of the crazy monsoon effects, Japanese supplies flow to the troopers in the jungle (and prior in Katha, they never got more than 100 supply a day). This has sealed the fate of these Allied units as the deliberate attacks have been coming fast and furious since the supply has opened up.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 8/15/2017 3:04:25 PM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3595
RE: Gnashing of Teeth: Cries of Fury - 8/15/2017 3:20:10 PM   
Lowpe

The Ikoma on her maiden voyage ate a really bad torpedo, and made it back to Hiroshima just yesterday.

The naval yards at Honshu are quite full...all the recently damaged cruisers from my distractions near Rabaul, which led I believe the Allies to commit to Midway, because surely the KB would be around Rabaul with all the other IJN surface ships present.

The Hei will head to Kobe for repairs there.

Also two days out are a trio of heavy cruisers for their Nov 1943 upgrades.

At Nagasaki, the Kaga is in shipyard repairing two torpedo strikes.

In January the rest of Japan's fleet carriers arrive...and I think I will then finish the Yamoto.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3596
RE: Gnashing of Teeth: Cries of Fury - 8/16/2017 3:50:51 PM   
Lowpe

Allies have dropped 70 tanks at Madang, only one unit. I really dislike this particular use, as I don't like using tanks without supporting infantry in jungles. However, perhaps there are motorized squads in the unit which would then make it ok by me.

Of course I am a hypocrite, because I use tanks pretty heavily in China.

Anyhow, there is only some lightly dug in infantry at Madang, I am flying in two SNLF units (with 43 troopers) and a handful of 75mm artillery, which is the best I have at hand. This whole area, broadly speaking New Guinea, is almost all air transportable units for Japan with nothing heavier than 75mm artillery around, and very few pieces of that to boot.

Right now there are a ton of Japanese land combat units moving around, and the Allies have surged their subs in response no doubt to sigint messages.

In Burma, I expect to retreat from the jungle hex road/rail line southwest of Magwe. Shouldn't be a big deal, since the Allies haven't cut the other rail line and Prome will be heavily reinforced on the morrow. Another deliberate attack on the 32nd and 6th Divisions...hoping to wipe them out in another 2 weeks.

Georges are repairing and fully staffed with my best Navy pilots.

A6M8 research is winding down, and I need to find a home for the 5 size 30 factories working on them.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3597
RE: Gnashing of Teeth: Cries of Fury - 8/16/2017 5:24:58 PM   
Lokasenna

Shinden. Jack. George-5. Etc.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3598
RE: Gnashing of Teeth: Cries of Fury - 8/16/2017 5:37:44 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

PDU off, baby!

Only have 1 Jack Squadron now, and it gets yanked in 44. Three more eventually arrive. I think I will have 4 George Squadrons that stick around. Shindens upgrade from George-5 I believe and only 2-3 squadrons.

Of the fighters only the Ki94 is around with more than 6 squadrons.

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 8/16/2017 5:38:40 PM >

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 3599
RE: Gnashing of Teeth: Cries of Fury - 8/16/2017 6:57:09 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

quote:

PDU off, baby!

Only have 1 Jack Squadron now, and it gets yanked in 44. Three more eventually arrive. I think I will have 4 George Squadrons that stick around. Shindens upgrade from George-5 I believe and only 2-3 squadrons.

Of the fighters only the Ki94 is around with more than 6 squadrons.

But do you really want to switch IJN factories to IJA? I mean, you might, given how the OOB shifts away from IJN F-squadrons and towards IJA F-squadrons...

PDU Off is garbage. Mega dislike. It's tantamount to something like forcing a historical offensive/counteroffensive timetable. /preach

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 3600
Page:   <<   < prev  118 119 [120] 121 122   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Gnashing of Teeth: Cries of Fury Page: <<   < prev  118 119 [120] 121 122   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI