Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Forward observers

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Forward observers Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Forward observers - 5/14/2003 3:42:24 AM   
Grim Reaper

Hi everyone, just registered to this forum :) My question is how much does it help to have a forward observer when calling artillery? I know it is faster to use FO, but does it make artillery fire any more accurate? Are FO vehicles somehow better than FO infantry?
Post #: 1
IMO - 5/14/2003 3:45:08 AM   
Gary Tatro

FO-are much better as far as speed in calling in artillary. Also if they have line of sight with the enemy they are much more accurate in calling in the artillary. Otherwise not. Motorized FO are just more expensive and mobile. I tend to stick to FO infantry because they are cheeper and harder to see.

"Are you going to do something or just stand there and bleed"

(in reply to Grim Reaper)
Post #: 2
- 5/14/2003 4:06:21 AM   
Belisarius

Welcome to the forums, GR! :D

(mad props on your name and avatar...heheh)

Gary pretty much nailed it. FO's are a must if you plan to use your artillery at all. :p If you really feel you need the speed of a vehicle, pick a Jeep or equivalent and load your FO in it, drive him to a good observation spot and offload him. FO vehicles are bullet magnets.

Got StuG?

Post #: 3
- 5/14/2003 4:27:29 AM   
Goblin

Welcome aboard Grim!

Goblin

Post #: 4
- 5/14/2003 4:50:08 AM   
rbrunsman

FYI:

When you buy an FO, you get a unit with experience within a range of say 69 to 80 or so. I usually buy at least 2 FOs as any country except US. The reason is that you may get lucky and get a highly skilled FO. I got an FO once with 80 exp. and he made my German arty just as good as the US arty. i.e. A veteran FO calls in arty very quickly. It's only happened once to me, but it was very nice and I keep trying to get another one. ;)

And, I never buy mobile FOs.

And, keep the FO close to your A0 and keep your A0 close to your on board arty. They will stay "in contact" better that way.

But, watch the smoke trail you leave because you may draw counterbattery fire from some big guns on occassion.

Oh, yeah, and WELCOME to the Forum!

Everyone is a potential [PBEM] enemy, every place a potential [PBEM] battlefield. --Zensunni Wisdom

Post #: 5
- 5/14/2003 2:22:38 PM   
Grim Reaper

Thanks for the warm welcome guys! :) I guess I'll be buying always two FO's in the future... :D

Post #: 6
- 5/14/2003 5:59:14 PM   
Tbone3336

Welcome aboard! Just started using FO correctly myself and have found how useful they are , have not used Mobile FO yet.

We aim to please, unless there is a clear headshot.

Post #: 7
russians 40-early 44 - 5/14/2003 6:23:11 PM   
MOTHER

With soviets strategem of artillary :an integral part thereof, buy a few more FO,[ because of the limited radio capabilities usually reserved for 0 units]lose a few 0's and life gets mighty difficult after rallying and soforth -even moreso with c&c, otherwise everybody is correct again,all good advice-mother;)

Dirty deeds done dirt cheap

Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Forward observers Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI