Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

A few questions about early war U-boat warfare

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> A few questions about early war U-boat warfare Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A few questions about early war U-boat warfare - 8/18/2017 1:26:24 PM   
WingedIncubus

Hi there,

I have a few n00bish questions for you about managing U-boats as Axis in the early wars and after the invasion of Norway and France. I would like your opinion on them.

a) At what level of Strength and/or Supply do you usually send back your U-boats to bases in Germany or Norway? The damage made to MPPs is quite minimal at lower supply, but it takes a long time to bring in the subs to base until Saint-Nazaire and the forward bases in Spain arrive.

a) Which routes do you take when coming in and out Germany after 1939? It seems, at least against the AI, that starting in late 1939 my u-boats always end up meeting a DD blocker in the North Sea, damaging it and forcing me to come back and repair it.

Thanks!
Post #: 1
RE: A few questions about early war U-boat warfare - 8/18/2017 2:15:00 PM   
Goodmongo

First off it depends if I'm going for the destruction of the UK navy or just a sub warfare plan. I also wait till I get the subs+1 before using them at all.

If going for a strategic warfare plan I send then out and keep them out till supply goes to 2 then I start back to port. By this time France has surely fallen so Brest and other ports are where I park them. If a sub gets damaged down to 5 or 6 I send it back for repairs. The single worst thing to happen is to lose a sub. Don't forget to keep moving them each turn.

Finally, remember that convoy routes have a maximum number of supply that they give to the UK. So don't send all to one route.

(in reply to WingedIncubus)
Post #: 2
RE: A few questions about early war U-boat warfare - 8/18/2017 4:29:07 PM   
James Taylor

Be careful coming in and going out as the RN can easily keep tabs on your comings and goings especially in clear weather(maritime bombers).

Best to scout your access routes with your own MBs and make sure you have fighter air cover.

Also a good idea to put your naval bombers in a position to attrite the RN and use your Uboats as bait.

You've got to keep'em guessing!

SeaMonkey

(in reply to Goodmongo)
Post #: 3
RE: A few questions about early war U-boat warfare - 8/19/2017 2:10:27 PM   
majpalmer

Be careful with the cruise function when crossing the North Sea. The track will likely take you into British ships. I head due north for one turn, and then head west the second.

I've found that, against the AI, its best to raid every other turn. (Since you want to last until France falls, this isn't such a big deal.) Once you strike, assume there are DDs head for you. So I'll raid, and then move away from the track to the west or east, and then the next turn strike somewhere else. This is especially important for your surface raiders, which cannot evade.

Another thing is to check mode every turn. If your sub is spotted, they always seem to default to silent mode. You have to change them back to strike. Also, I think the games defaults to silent mode sometimes when I save. I check the mode of every sub when I restart a game.

I never move along the convoy lanes. I'll move off the lane two or three hexes, and then move east or west, north or south, and then reenter the lane. If you slide along the track you're far more likely to bump into a DD.

I head back to port when supply hits two, or three if I'm far out in the Atlantic. I also head back if my strength drops below 7.

My thinking is that dead subs don't kill anything. And they cost a lot to build and take time. I'd rather pass on that one more raid and get back to port alive, replace and update, and go back out again, than get killed trying to knock off 11 MPPs.

(in reply to James Taylor)
Post #: 4
RE: A few questions about early war U-boat warfare - 8/19/2017 4:25:25 PM   
nnason

The last three posts are all excellent.
To me the most important aspect of the U-Boat war is what is your strategy? As said above kill the Allied navy or attrite MPs.
Attrite MP ideas are good above. In my opinion they only way to kill allied ships is to win the navy war in the Med first. This is doable. If you can win and avoid losing more that one Italian BB then capture Gibraltar and bring the Italians around. This gets close to parity. Use BBs to kill DDs and subs to will BBs. I think Italy needs to be plus 2 for Naval before going for med and subs need to be plus 2 before going to kill allies.
Winning sea battle for Axis is key toe keeping allies off of the continent.

Live Long and Prosper,
Noah Nason
LTC Field Artillery
US Army Retired

(in reply to majpalmer)
Post #: 5
RE: A few questions about early war U-boat warfare - 8/20/2017 1:01:39 PM   
BillRunacre

quote:

ORIGINAL: majpalmer

Another thing is to check mode every turn. If your sub is spotted, they always seem to default to silent mode. You have to change them back to strike. Also, I think the games defaults to silent mode sometimes when I save. I check the mode of every sub when I restart a game.

Hi

If the sub dives in response to an attack then it will default automatically to Silent Mode, as this is safer.

Bill

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/

(in reply to majpalmer)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> A few questions about early war U-boat warfare Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI