Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Notes from a Small Island

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Notes from a Small Island Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 8/21/2017 11:56:58 PM   
Canoerebel

18th UK Division is beautifully entire....and still has '41 squads and is in the jungle. It can't fight that way. But it sure is nice to see the division intact (a player taking over my game with John III would weep at the condition of 18th Div., which was ruined in Sumatra).

5th Indian Division is in the jungles of Burma. This isn't right. In my game vs. John III, 5th Indian moved from India to Capetown to East Coast to Prince Rupert....prepped 100% for Amchitka....sat for months waiting for the chance....diverted to Big Tent in the DEI (taking Morotai, if memory serves). It has since served key roles in Luzon and in taking Foochow, China. For the rest of my AE career, I'll always think of 5th Indian as an expeditionary army.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 31
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 8/22/2017 1:38:56 AM   
Canoerebel

3/4/44

Points Screen: This tells the tale of a war fought at a different pace and in a different way than the war waged between me an John III.

The belligerents in this game maintain some separation and apparently go long spells without coming to grips. The result is a lower overall score...which has good and bad points for both sides.

That style of play isn't necessarily worse or better than the way John and I play; it's just different. In the John III game, we started fighting with knives in the spring of '42 and never stopped. That definitely has its drawbacks.

So it'll be fun to play into 1944 with lots of ships and men, the ability to transport infinite amounts of fuel and supply (apparently), and probably healthy aircraft pools, though I haven't looked into that carefully yet.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 8/22/2017 1:39:40 AM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 32
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 8/22/2017 2:07:49 AM   
Canoerebel

3/4/44

SEAC: Knife fight in the jungle on unequal terms. Massive enemy air force and army here....very far forward for '44. Good. Let 'em stay right here for months to come. For now, this will be an attention-holding theater.

The road to victory does not lead through Burma or Thailand or Malaya or Java or Sumatra....not at this late date. So let's fight way back in Burma for as long as possible...until one day the time is ripe, the enemy is leaning too far forward, and the hook comes.

Eventually the Allies will move into China, but that takes supply, so that won't be soon.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 33
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 8/22/2017 2:14:42 AM   
Canoerebel

3/3/44

18th UK Div.: My experience has been that the biggest infantry division, well led, with high experience and morale, cannot fight with '41 squads and devices. They are toothless giants. Time to get some dental work.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 34
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 8/22/2017 2:19:01 AM   
Canoerebel

3/3/44

Major General George Inglis: This is the guy to bring 18th Division up to par.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 35
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 8/22/2017 2:38:19 AM   
Canoerebel

3/3/44

Western Australia: Western Oz is Japanese territory. Erik is prepared to fight for the DEI, so I'm probably not going to cooperate. Darwin seems weakly defended but supplying that base can be a beast until the Allies also take Timor, Taberfane, etc. I'd rather do other things.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 36
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 8/22/2017 2:52:26 AM   
Canoerebel

3/3/44

SWPac: This is the seat of the war. This is where Joseph planned to take the war to the enemy. And he was well prepared.

The question: build on his efforts or tear down in favor of a different strategy? I'm weighing a number of options, including some hybrids.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 37
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 8/22/2017 2:58:18 AM   
Canoerebel

3/3/44

Marshalls and Gilberts: I suspect weakly defended; I suspect Erik won't fight hard this far forward; but I'm going to test him here. I want the bases to clean up my LOC a bit...but also to set the table for a very important move coming in a few months.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 38
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 8/22/2017 3:03:01 AM   
Canoerebel

3/3/44

Midway, Wake, Marcus: Very helpful to have Wake and Midway; Marcus is where Historiker came to grief. Marcus will probably play a big role in things to come.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 39
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 8/22/2017 3:08:22 AM   
Canoerebel

3/3/44

NoPac: I don't know if Erik ever did anything up here, if he has anything up here now, or if Historiker/Jospeh planned things up here. It looks pretty quiet. I'm going to watch SigInt to see what might develop. But Erik is probably familiar with my NoPac past and will probably take precautions.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 40
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 8/22/2017 4:34:34 AM   
Lovejoy

What's the status of the allied navies? I know that the KB got pretty well clobbered on December 8th, but since then, it seems like Obverts done much better than one would expect, having lost 4 carriers on the 2nd day of the war. Might we see a list of losses?

I've just begun to play the game (It took me a long time to get it to work on my PC), and I've got a question. This stage, would it be better to leave Japan in Australia and the Southwest Pacific? It seems that at this stage, the most important thing is to move towards Japan or its oil centers, rather than trying to extirpate them from Allied territory that is not directly needed to get your bombers/ships/armies right up to Japan's front door?

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 41
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 8/22/2017 2:17:10 PM   
MakeeLearn

Note to self :"And it's been the ruin of many a poor boy.."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sB3Fjw3Uvc

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lovejoy)
Post #: 42
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 8/22/2017 2:24:34 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

Note to self :"And it's been the ruin of many a poor boy.."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sB3Fjw3Uvc

I always imagined Paramushiro Jima to be much bigger than that! They must have one heck of a basement to meet the stacking limit. Good camouflage of the fort though!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 43
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 8/22/2017 4:23:08 PM   
Andav

Instead of Paramushiro Jima, that must be Corregidor since it is labeled The Rock. Right?

Wa

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 44
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 8/22/2017 4:31:14 PM   
Canoerebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lovejoy

What's the status of the allied navies? I know that the KB got pretty well clobbered on December 8th, but since then, it seems like Obverts done much better than one would expect, having lost 4 carriers on the 2nd day of the war. Might we see a list of losses?

I've just begun to play the game (It took me a long time to get it to work on my PC), and I've got a question. This stage, would it be better to leave Japan in Australia and the Southwest Pacific? It seems that at this stage, the most important thing is to move towards Japan or its oil centers, rather than trying to extirpate them from Allied territory that is not directly needed to get your bombers/ships/armies right up to Japan's front door?

1. I quickly looked through the naval losses early on and will go back and do a more thorough census soon. What I found is that the Allies are in great shape for carriers, have suffered moderate losses in BBs, and I think cruiser and destroyer numbers are fine.

Some of the carriers and BBs are in shipyards after recently taking damage, but I'm pretty sure that the Allied navy and merchantmarine are in fine shape to take the war to Japan. Partly that feeling may be because this is stock and I'm accustomed to playing against a considerably beefed up Japanese navy. I feel like a batter who's been facing a a pitching machine that throws at 105 miles per hour and is now going to face a real pitcher that throws at 90.

2. When I say that the entire weight of the Allied power is in SWPac, I'm not exaggerating. Joseph brought everything plus the kitchen sink. He could wage war from this base forever and forever. He understood power and staying power.

It would make sense to simply continue his strategy, tweaking it to suit my own notions but using the same base of operations and orienting along the same vector. To change drastically will require tremendous effort that may be inefficient or harmful. But I'm considering lots of options.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 8/22/2017 4:32:07 PM >

(in reply to Lovejoy)
Post #: 45
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 8/22/2017 5:41:51 PM   
Lovejoy

Thank you for your answer!

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 46
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 8/23/2017 12:07:56 AM   
Grfin Zeppelin

Nono Canorebel cant move through the Coral Sea, not even with Rabaul in his hands. Not gonna happen. Morotai or bust

< Message edited by Gräfin Zeppelin -- 8/23/2017 12:09:10 AM >

(in reply to Lovejoy)
Post #: 47
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 8/23/2017 12:30:35 AM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gräfin Zeppelin

Nono Canorebel cant move through the Coral Sea, not even with Rabaul in his hands. Not gonna happen. Morotai or bust

Hes got his spears!

The Andrew Sisters....simply wonderful.

(in reply to Grfin Zeppelin)
Post #: 48
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 8/23/2017 12:31:15 AM   
Lowpe

CR

Wonderful presentation of your starting position.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 49
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 8/23/2017 2:47:01 AM   
Canoerebel

3/5/44

SWPac: Allies take Hansa Bay.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 50
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 8/23/2017 2:52:06 AM   
Canoerebel

3/5/44

Air Ambush Burma: Allied fighters ambushed Nicks trying to molest a forward stack. I'd better not forget to modify the squadrons on LRCAP or Erik will quickly turn the tables.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 51
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 8/23/2017 3:00:55 AM   
Canoerebel

3/5/44

Introducing the USS This and the USS That: We need to encourage Joseph to return to the game and the community, get active, get comfortable...and then convene the AE Kangaroo Court for the first time in about four years. He has crossed the line of weirdness here. This is gonna be tough to bear.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 52
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 8/23/2017 3:10:03 AM   
Canoerebel

3/5/44

SigInt: Gathering info and hoping to find holes but not expecting to.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 53
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 8/23/2017 2:35:59 PM   
Bif1961

The Japanese had this same problem after Yamamoto died, then Koga, picking up a very complex war and not knwoing your enemy as well as the previous commander and deciding to go forward with planned and prepped operations.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 54
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 8/23/2017 3:29:44 PM   
MakeeLearn

Emperor Norton

Joshua Abraham Norton (c.1818[3] – January 8, 1880), known as Emperor Norton, was a citizen of San Francisco, California, who in 1859 proclaimed himself "Norton I, Emperor of the United States".[4] He later expanded his pretense by claiming to be "Protector of Mexico" as well

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emperor_Norton

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by MakeeLearn -- 8/23/2017 3:31:48 PM >

(in reply to Bif1961)
Post #: 55
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 8/23/2017 11:45:30 PM   
Canoerebel

3/5/44

Scantiness: Watching the movie each turns takes about seven minutes. Here's the entire combat report. Nobody's fighting. It's France in February 1940: "The False War."

I like it because it's helping me a bit to ease into the game rather than getting bushwhacked with bombardments, sweeps, air raids, surface combat raids, etc.

Joseph and Erik played at a much different pace than me and John do. I don't know if that's good, bad, of indifferent (ha ha). But it's weird to watch a combat replay of seven minutes compared to 35 minutes for John and I. We always have 33 zillion sweeps, counter sweeps, land units bombarding and counter-bombarding, subs firing and missing, general mayhem, children and drunks running around in circles, waving their arms while hooting and braying.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 56
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 8/24/2017 1:13:26 AM   
Canoerebel

3/5/44

Burma: Lots of forces in proximity, little fighting as we both feel each other out. But I'm making good progress in getting supply to Akyab.

I won't show a screen of SWPac. Not much fighting going on. Lots of clicking going on. The map is a melee of icon s moving hither and yon, like those proverbial children and drunks of yore howling and braying in the night.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 8/24/2017 1:14:12 AM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 57
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 8/24/2017 12:59:36 PM   
ny59giants

Burma - Do you have a Command HQ far enough forward and then a base that you can get 20k in supply at in order to upgrade LCUs to newest squads/devices rather than send back to India?

Preference (P) screen - You can use left and right mouse clicks to speed up all parts of the Combat Replay. I also use the <Esc> key to fast forward through ground bombardments.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 58
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 8/24/2017 1:09:26 PM   
John 3rd

What key ships has your opponent lost?

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 59
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 8/24/2017 1:34:08 PM   
Canoerebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants
Burma - Do you have a Command HQ far enough forward and then a base that you can get 20k in supply at in order to upgrade LCUs to newest squads/devices rather than send back to India?

Preference (P) screen - You can use left and right mouse clicks to speed up all parts of the Combat Replay. I also use the <Esc> key to fast forward through ground bombardments.

Does it require an command HQ to upgrade squads and devices? I thought a supplied base would work. Teach me, as this will be important.

As best I can tell, there are only two non-static command HQ in the entire SEAC theater: Southeast Asia (British) and Y Force (Chinese). They both happen to be in the same jungle hex near Prome. They are within 9 hexes of Akyab, where I have sufficient supply (22k) for upgrade purposes. Is proximity sufficient or does a command HQ have to be at Akyab?

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Notes from a Small Island Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI