Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Watchword Freedom. Nice WB :)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Scenarios/Campaigns >> Watchword Freedom. Nice WB :) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Watchword Freedom. Nice WB :) - 5/15/2003 2:03:31 PM   
Tequila

I took a break from Stalingrad to check out this Watchword Freedom campaign from Wild Bill. That first battle was uh... how shall we say... friggin incredible!! Nothing makes you sweat like 3 VHs that are worth 150pts per turn and heavily guarded by hordes of Russian tanks. I only picked 6 Tiger tanks, no other armor except for 3 crappy Lynx recon tanks(waste of money, see notes below). With just 6 tanks against 30+ I came very close to an MV but had to settle for a Draw. There's nothing more frightening to a Tiger than an SU-152 suddenly appearing right in front of you. Those things pack a punch especially from point blank range and can toss aside quite a few hits from an 88. The second battle the Russkies had no chance in hell and I got an easy DV, made me feel better about myself after the first battle hehe.

I hate to admit but I'm quite fond of those Tigers now, not sure why I was always a Katze hater before..well I'm still not as fond of Panthers as most peeps but I do love these Tigers now. With a FC of 7 they don't miss much and have great range. They carry an amazing amount of AP ammo and those HE rounds are great for taking out fortified bunkers like MG nests, etc The real danger is those speedy SU-152s that come out of nowhere and point their **** guns right in your face lol.

Just don't make the mistake like me and be tempted to pick those Lynx recon tanks. Sounds great but they still die fast to most Russian hardware.
They just aren't fast enough to get away and are quite expensive. I converted them all to SdKfz 250/1 HTs for the next battle which I love because they can haul a 75mm Pak40 ATG, are much faster and are 3x less in price.

Anyway here's what I started with:

1 FO (legged)
1 SdKfz 251/1 HT section. Mobility for my FO and HQ and weak AA support.
1 SP Mortar 251/2 section (81mm)
1 SP Arty section (Wespe)
2 Pioneer platoons. Used to think these were too expensive to justify but not anymore. They are pricey but it's a complete package: engineer + elite + recon
3 Tiger sections.
1 Lynx platoon.
2 4-man Recon sections. One of my favorite legged recon units.
1 Spec Ops section
1 Inf-AT section(Panzerschreck)
5 Schwimmwagen sections for expendable recon and future upgrades.

After first battle I upgraded the MG in each pioneer platoon to an SS rifle and had to upgrade one each of the HTs to a 251/1 to hold them. I then upgraded two schwimmwagens to 75mm Pak40 ATG(I love these things on defense) and the three Lynx recon tanks to three SdKfz 250/1 to double duty as recon and ATG tower. After the second battle I upgraded two schwimmwagens to Panther A and another schwimmwagen to a Hummel and another to an Ammo Carrier. Whew, finally got it all rounded out and blasting the Russkians in the 3rd battle so far quite handily. :)

It's amazing how the same map in 3 consecutive battles isn't tiring one bit. I really like this map a lot. Anyway, just wanted to compliment you on a great campaign so far.
Post #: 1
Where? - 5/15/2003 7:33:39 PM   
cadmus

Can you tell us where this jewel is posted? Sounds like another winner in the string of outstanding campaigns that have been produced by Wild Bill, Brent and others.

(in reply to Tequila)
Post #: 2
- 5/16/2003 1:42:03 AM   
Tequila

No need to search too far, the Watchword Freedom campaign comes packaged with the SPWAW download :) At least it does in 7.1 anyway.,

(in reply to Tequila)
Post #: 3
Thanks, Tequila - 5/16/2003 9:32:58 AM   
cadmus

... and how embarrassing. So much for my powers of observation. No wonder I lose a lot.

(in reply to Tequila)
Post #: 4
- 6/16/2003 11:14:00 PM   
Wild Bill

Tequila, thank you. Pardon my lateness in replying. Its been a busy Spring for me. I should have responded before now.

Watchword Freedom, the actual event has always fascinated me.

I think as you progress through the campaign it will become better. The last scenario, when the breakout attempt occurs, is one that you will not want to miss.

A lot of people never notice the many changes I make in a scenario to make it "different." In this one, for example you have troops attacking and troops attempting to break free and Russians everywhere. The code word has been issued and Manstein awaits those bedraggled, half-frozen sons of Germany as they attempt to escape the tentacles of Mother Russia.

Watchword Freedom is one that you will want to play.

Let me know how it goes, my friend.

Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Tequila)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Scenarios/Campaigns >> Watchword Freedom. Nice WB :) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI