Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

[AWAITING FEEDBACK] All around bad performance

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> [AWAITING FEEDBACK] All around bad performance Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
[AWAITING FEEDBACK] All around bad performance - 9/15/2017 1:19:06 PM   
SlapBone

So wanting to get in on the sale, I bought Northern Inferno first to take the engine for a spin. I have the steam version, so whatever the latest version is there. When I start up any scenario, the info box that follows my mouse has weird tracers and the map will not do anything easily (like zoom or pan). It is very very laggy.

I have turned off Steam overlay
I turned off Directwrite for Font smoothing
I tried changing the processor priority to realtime

At this point I haven't even started the simulation yet and my processor usage on Tutorial 1 is less than 1%.

< Message edited by emsoy -- 10/6/2017 9:34:22 PM >

Post #: 1
RE: All around bad performance - 9/15/2017 2:27:07 PM   
thewood1

So how about system specs, just for completeness.

(in reply to SlapBone)
Post #: 2
RE: All around bad performance - 9/15/2017 2:56:11 PM   
Kaldadarnes

I found "process lassoo" to be a big help - but I struggle for good performance generally (I cannot get better than "yellow" performance with all options to improve performance turned on). The game keeps me coming back despite the lag...

I have a decent but not amazing PC - details below:

Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™ i5 Quad Core Processor 6300HQ (2.3GHz, 3.2GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM) 8GB Kingston SODIMM DDR3 1600MHz (1 x 8GB)
Graphics Card NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 940M - 2.0GB DDR3 Video RAM - DirectX® 12

Omnia Videmus

(in reply to SlapBone)
Post #: 3
RE: All around bad performance - 9/15/2017 3:06:29 PM   
thewood1

I think this goes beyond some tweaking with process lasso. I have used it for years and it is a big help sometimes. This sounds like driver issues or some kind of incompatibility.

(in reply to Kaldadarnes)
Post #: 4
RE: All around bad performance - 9/15/2017 10:44:31 PM   
Rory Noonan

I can't offer much help apart from pointing out that the 'game speed' color does not necessarily reflect the actual performance. The only way to get that button 'green' is to turn everything off, including auto-save. On the other hand it's nearly always 'red' for me because I play with high-fidelity and a few other options on, yet my machine runs it just fine with no lag.

As to your specific issues with pointer trails etc it does indeed sound like some sort of driver problem.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 5
RE: All around bad performance - 9/17/2017 6:28:19 AM   
strykerpsg

Appears he's already panned the title in Steam reviews without trying to resolve the issues here.

SlapBone, if you're still wanting help, please lay out your PC specs and please verify your drivers are up to date. The drivers especially make a huge difference, provided you have the horsepower to run the game in the first place.

(in reply to Rory Noonan)
Post #: 6
RE: All around bad performance - 9/19/2017 7:57:22 PM   
SlapBone

I have a Dual Xeon E5530
12 GB Ram
Geforce GTX 960

Video drivers are the latest.
Win 10 is fully patched.

It has to be something in the game that doesn't jive with something in my system. I haven't had any problems with any games from Matrix, and I pretty much have them all

(in reply to strykerpsg)
Post #: 7
RE: All around bad performance - 9/19/2017 8:13:48 PM   
SlapBone

quote:

ORIGINAL: apache85

I can't offer much help apart from pointing out that the 'game speed' color does not necessarily reflect the actual performance. The only way to get that button 'green' is to turn everything off, including auto-save. On the other hand it's nearly always 'red' for me because I play with high-fidelity and a few other options on, yet my machine runs it just fine with no lag.

As to your specific issues with pointer trails etc it does indeed sound like some sort of driver problem.

I'm not sure what you are referring to. I cannot find anything indicating game speed. I see "Game Speed" in the menu bar when the game is starting up but it disappears.

(in reply to Rory Noonan)
Post #: 8
RE: All around bad performance - 9/19/2017 8:55:08 PM   
mikkey

SlapBone, if you want to see the "Game Speed" button in the main window, you need to check the "Show 'Game Speed' button on toolbar in main window" in "Options" window.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to SlapBone)
Post #: 9
RE: All around bad performance - 9/19/2017 9:32:28 PM   
ultradave

I don't think the CPU spec is the problem. My MacBook Pro has almost identical specs and it runs it just fine, and that's running inside Parallels Desktop on my mac.

My "Game Speed" button always shows red but the game runs just fine, and I have most things turned on as Apache85 said.

I know that's not much help other than maybe eliminating a couple of things.

----------------
Dave A.
"When the Boogeyman goes to sleep he checks his closet for paratroopers"

(in reply to mikkey)
Post #: 10
RE: All around bad performance - 9/20/2017 2:20:11 PM   
mikmykWS

Hi

Can you verify that you're running in No-pulse(fast)mode? This should be dead center top of your GUI.

If you running in pulsed mode the game will appear to lag as calcs are happening in big mouthfuls rather than a steady flow. This gives the appearance of laggyness. This slower mode is there for wargame traditionalists and not really impressive to anybody else.

Also keep in mind this is not a simple RTS. Lots of calculations are going on as the game runs. So while things might appear slow it might just be they're adhering to a deeper physics model.

Mike

(in reply to ultradave)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> [AWAITING FEEDBACK] All around bad performance Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI