Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: New Game?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Ancients] >> Hannibal: Rome and Carthage in the Second Punic War >> RE: New Game? Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: New Game? - 2/24/2017 5:44:29 PM   
Lascar

How many scenarios do you envision the game having?

The opportunity to play both Roman and non-Roman factions is a great new feature. Will there also be multiplayer (pbem) for two human players.?

< Message edited by Lascar -- 2/24/2017 5:45:16 PM >

(in reply to mercenarius)
Post #: 121
RE: New Game? - 2/26/2017 12:56:20 AM   
mercenarius

I expect to have 16 campaign scenarios. I hope to have the same number of land battle scenarios.

James Warshawsky
Forced March Games, LLC

(in reply to Lascar)
Post #: 122
RE: New Game? - 2/26/2017 1:15:04 AM   
Lascar

When you say land battle scenarios how does that different from campaign scenarios? Are you saying that land battle scenarios only focus on one battle, unlike campaigns which have a series of battles within a strategic context?

Post #: 123
RE: New Game? - 2/26/2017 4:43:27 AM   
Drakkon

quote:

ORIGINAL: mercenarius

These are placeholder graphics, so, yes, they don't look that great.

Actually, those graphics are fine, they have a very Roman "feel" to them, at least in my opinion.

I have been looking forward to this game for years, maybe I will buy it for myself as a birthday gift latter this year.

Post #: 124
RE: New Game? - 2/26/2017 6:34:59 AM   
Orm

Thank you for the update.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Drakkon)
Post #: 125
RE: New Game? - 3/1/2017 1:22:32 AM   
mercenarius

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lascar

When you say land battle scenarios how does that different from campaign scenarios? Are you saying that land battle scenarios only focus on one battle, unlike campaigns which have a series of battles within a strategic context?

In a word, yes. The land battle scenarios will focus on one battle and, to be honest, are mostly chrome. The campaign scenarios will be each be roughly like playing "Hannibal." Most of them will last between 20 and 80 turns (5 - 20 years). I want to include at least 3 short scenarios, and some kind of a Grand Campaign. I am still tweaking the scenario list a little, as you can surmise.

quote:

Actually, those graphics are fine, they have a very Roman "feel" to them, at least in my opinion.

Thanks for your kind words!

James Warshawsky
Forced March Games, LLC

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 126
RE: New Game? - 3/1/2017 8:02:26 AM   
PJJ

That sounds great! Considering that I still play Hannibal every now and then, I imagine getting my money's worth, and then some, from the new game.

Speaking of Hannibal, I'd love to see both the First and Second Punic Wars included. Now I understand that you can't exactly have *every* ancient war in the initial release, but maybe add new ones in separate scenario packs? Ageod did that with their Alea Jacta Est.

See, I'm already confident that this new game will do well enough to warrant expansion packs. No pressure!

"But here we are in a chamber pot, about to be ****ted upon."

-French General Auguste Ducrot before the Battle of Sedan, September 1870

Post #: 127
RE: New Game? - 3/2/2017 12:37:49 PM   
Selus

Thx for update, can you set a more specific date of launch?

(in reply to PJJ)
Post #: 128
RE: New Game? - 3/3/2017 5:46:05 PM   
Lascar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lascar

quote:

In a word, yes. The land battle scenarios will focus on one battle and, to be honest, are mostly chrome. The campaign scenarios will be each be roughly like playing "Hannibal." Most of them will last between 20 and 80 turns (5 - 20 years). I want to include at least 3 short scenarios, and some kind of a Grand Campaign. I am still tweaking the scenario list a little, as you can surmise.

Will the war between Queen Zenobia of Palmyria and Rome be one of the campaigns?

< Message edited by Lascar -- 3/3/2017 5:49:06 PM >

Post #: 129
RE: New Game? - 3/5/2017 5:28:06 PM   
mercenarius

quote:

Speaking of Hannibal, I'd love to see both the First and Second Punic Wars included.

I plan to eventually do that with an expansion or an add-on product. That is definitely something that I will want to follow up with.

James Warshawsky
Forced March Games, LLC

(in reply to PJJ)
Post #: 130
RE: New Game? - 3/5/2017 5:30:04 PM   
mercenarius

quote:

Will the war between Queen Zenobia of Palmyria and Rome be one of the campaigns?

Yes.

quote:

Thx for update, can you set a more specific date of launch?

No.

To be more specific, I'll have to get closer to the finished game before I want to give any estimates of a release date. I haven't been very accurate with that in the past. Sorry.

James Warshawsky
Forced March Games, LLC

(in reply to Lascar)
Post #: 131
RE: New Game? - 3/5/2017 6:18:17 PM   
Lascar

quote:

mercenarius

Yes.

Outstanding. That was one of the more intriguing Roman wars: a potentially powerful rival to Rome based on the resource rich regions of Asia minor, the Levant and Egypt.

Would this campaign allow for other factions becoming involved such as intervention by the Persians?

< Message edited by Lascar -- 3/5/2017 6:38:10 PM >

Post #: 132
RE: New Game? - 6/3/2017 12:26:47 PM   
Dual_CoRed

Any updates on the game?

(in reply to Lascar)
Post #: 133
RE: New Game? - 6/8/2017 2:40:05 AM   
mercenarius

I am still plugging away on it. I am still working on the Administrative Interface. I have finished the first generation of all the "Major Enactments" and planned their themes (some details are still being worked out). I have also refined the departments and improved the existing icons. They'll probably go through one or two revisions before the game is released. Here is an updated sample:

Attachment (1)

James Warshawsky
Forced March Games, LLC

(in reply to Dual_CoRed)
Post #: 134
RE: New Game? - 6/8/2017 2:41:45 AM   
mercenarius

Here are the Major Enactments for two other departments:

Attachment (1)

James Warshawsky
Forced March Games, LLC

(in reply to Dual_CoRed)
Post #: 135
RE: New Game? - 6/8/2017 2:47:15 AM   
mercenarius

You'll have the option to turn off the Latin and see the labels in English, btw. So you could see something like "Unit Status & Regulations" in place of "Status et Ordines".

I realize that I haven't given you the information that you really want. But, I cannot give a date for release, however. Sorry.

Between contract work and the need to finish the artwork myself, I am just not sure how quickly I can finish the game, but I am working on it.

Thanks for asking!

James Warshawsky
Forced March Games, LLC

(in reply to Dual_CoRed)
Post #: 136
RE: New Game? - 6/8/2017 3:08:13 AM   
mercenarius

quote:

Would this campaign allow for other factions becoming involved such as intervention by the Persians?

First off, Lascar, let me apologize for taking so long to respond. You ask a very good question. My answer is that yes, I want to do that. But, after thinking about this, I have half decided that I may need to consider some kind of expansion pack with additional resources to do justice to players who want to cause the Fall of Rome, as it were.

I'll have see how this plays out after I have gotten the administrative functions working and I start to program the AI and get the economy working. I want to keep the focus on the game being a war game, but I do want the players to have some taste of administration.

In practical terms, a Persian player is going to need a different experience in the Administrative Interface. And that probably means deferring the "Anti-Roman" scenarios to some kind of add-on. Not for extra money, but to do justice to the game play, of course.

I know that I am flip-flopping on some earlier statements, but I now more fully realize what is going to be required.

James Warshawsky
Forced March Games, LLC

(in reply to Lascar)
Post #: 137
RE: New Game? - 6/9/2017 9:06:58 AM   
Don60420

This all looks very intriguing!

Post #: 138
RE: New Game? - 6/9/2017 10:45:35 AM   
PJJ

quote:

ORIGINAL: mercenarius

In practical terms, a Persian player is going to need a different experience in the Administrative Interface. And that probably means deferring the "Anti-Roman" scenarios to some kind of add-on. Not for extra money, but to do justice to the game play, of course.

That's probably the wisest course of action. Cramming everything into the initial release would only make the development process even longer, and the natives are already getting restless.

I imagine Carthage would be the power with the best chance of actually beating Rome, so one expansion pack could perhaps be devoted to the Punic Wars. At least the first two of them were hard struggles for Rome.

I like the screenshots!

< Message edited by PJJ -- 6/9/2017 10:46:07 AM >

"But here we are in a chamber pot, about to be ****ted upon."

-French General Auguste Ducrot before the Battle of Sedan, September 1870

Post #: 139
RE: New Game? - 6/14/2017 1:43:41 AM   
GorgoPrimus

As this will be including multiplayer, may I please ask that you include something other than PBEM in addition to whatever else you do. Even if all you do on LAN play when it isn't your turn is watch the other person do theirs with FOW still on, I hate having to log in and out and wait for notifications when I just want to play a game with a friend for a few hours.

(in reply to PJJ)
Post #: 140
RE: New Game? - 6/28/2017 4:30:25 PM   
Orm

Thank you, mercenaries, for the update.

The game looks better and better. And since it looked awesome from the beginning...

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to GorgoPrimus)
Post #: 141
RE: New Game? - 9/20/2017 9:41:11 AM   
Selus

any uddates plz?

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 142
RE: New Game? - 9/20/2017 9:59:46 AM   
Zeotix

quote:

ORIGINAL: Selus

any uddates plz?

nothing new :-(

(in reply to Selus)
Post #: 143
RE: New Game? - 9/21/2017 7:10:38 AM   
mercenarius

I have been working on the report dialogs. I have (mostly) finished the reports for armies, fleets, cities, fortresses, and provinces.

Here is a sample of the report dialog for a fortress. Each icon can be selected to get details of that attribute or the "control" icon will give general details:

Attachment (1)

James Warshawsky
Forced March Games, LLC

(in reply to Zeotix)
Post #: 144
RE: New Game? - 9/21/2017 7:11:33 AM   
mercenarius

Here is the same dialog with one of the attributes selected:

Attachment (1)

James Warshawsky
Forced March Games, LLC

Post #: 145
RE: New Game? - 9/21/2017 7:16:11 AM   
mercenarius

I'll post more screenshots and some notes on the game's progress on Friday.

But, I'll anticipate some questions and give a little unhappy news. I have been dealing with a very serious illness in my family and I have to admit that the Fall of Rome will not be ready until some time next year.

I realize that this REALLY stinks and I am quite embarrassed at how long the game is taking. But that is the state of things right now.

Thanks for your interest!

James Warshawsky
Forced March Games, LLC

Post #: 146
RE: New Game? - 9/21/2017 8:10:09 AM   
rico21

1- Editor available?

2- Asterix and Obelix at the least?

(in reply to Lascar)
Post #: 147
RE: New Game? - 9/23/2017 5:36:48 AM   
mercenarius

quote:

ORIGINAL: rico21

1- Editor available?

2- Asterix and Obelix at the least?

I'd like to at least make some kind of scenario editor for custom scenarios. I don't know about Asterix and Obelix themselves: the Gauls are gone by the time the game begins. But the scenario editor could certainly include some mechanism for editing the name pools used for the various nationalities.

James Warshawsky
Forced March Games, LLC

(in reply to rico21)
Post #: 148
RE: New Game? - 9/23/2017 5:51:10 AM   
mercenarius

Here is a screenshot with the revised experience markers and the legion designations for 'Marian' legions.

I am not going to include unit designations for all the units after the reforms of Diocletian and Constantine. But I am going to feature the "classic" legions which existed before then. They have an administrative and economic role in the game. The core of the legion will also contain the legion's skilled workers and thus qualifies as an armaments factory. So the marker is necessary to show that the core of the legion is present in an army or a garrison - rather than a detachment of some of the legion's cohorts.

Attachment (1)

James Warshawsky
Forced March Games, LLC

(in reply to Zeotix)
Post #: 149
RE: New Game? - 9/23/2017 1:57:38 PM   
pons

Sorry to hear about your family illness Mercenarius. Health and family are the two most important things.
But high up in the lesser tier are games - even the gods play games (though not dice, apparently).
I have to say that your Second Punic War game is, by a country mile, the best historically-based computer game I've ever played - and I've tried a lot.
So it's great to know that you are still on the case with your second game, and striving for that combination of playability and accurate historical feel that seems to make HRCSPW so unique and replayable.
Fall of Rome looks very ambitious and wide-ranging from the bits you've shown - so just remember nulla tenaci invia est via (for the tenacious, no road is impassable - I hope)

Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Ancients] >> Hannibal: Rome and Carthage in the Second Punic War >> RE: New Game? Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI