Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Sardaukar's Newbie Tutorial AAR for Newbies (vs. IJ AI)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Sardaukar's Newbie Tutorial AAR for Newbies (vs. IJ AI) Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Sardaukar's Newbie Tutorial AAR for Newbies (vs. IJ... - 10/29/2016 11:55:04 AM   
Sardaukar

Bump, just in case people still find this useful. Some of the stuff is outdated though with changes in code and database during years.

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to Knucles2)
Post #: 271
RE: Sardaukar's Newbie Tutorial AAR for Newbies (vs. IJ... - 12/9/2016 11:59:20 PM   
diamond dave

Any chance of perhaps updating this guide a bit to account for game version upgrades/changes? I decided to fire the game up again (for the holidays while I'm off from work) and am discovering that while much of your guide is still valid, there's a few things here and there that aren't anymore. Plus maybe tweak a few strategies to account for the AI upgrades...

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 272
RE: Sardaukar's Newbie Tutorial AAR for Newbies (vs. IJ... - 12/11/2016 2:30:54 AM   
adarbrauner

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar

- set Patrol planes to either Naval Search or ASW (I use alt 6k for Search, 1k for ASW),

I usually set higher altitudes, say 4k for ASW and 10k for naval search. REason being, is that I thought the higher, the more you see...no?

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 273
RE: Sardaukar's Newbie Tutorial AAR for Newbies (vs. IJ... - 12/11/2016 3:06:49 AM   
Anachro

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2260787

ASW:

Until your pilots get to the 70+ exp, you won't attack consistently.

To kill subs near your ports:

ASW Mission
100 feet (or 1000 if the plane will not go to 100)
Max Range
Use bombs not torps, if that is an option.

To see subs as far out as possible:

Naval Search Mission
6000 feet
Max Range
Use Bombs not torps, if that is an option.

Naval search...
High altitude will spot large TF's.
Lower altitudes spot smaller TF's.

Q:The Manual says the actual ASW range is half of the normal range. if the ASW range is 5, What's the actual range? 3 or 2?

A: A general rule of thumb is that if anything is divided, the fraction is usually thrown away, so if you have a range of 5, 1/2 would usually be 2.

< Message edited by Anachro -- 12/11/2016 3:07:01 AM >

(in reply to adarbrauner)
Post #: 274
RE: Sardaukar's Newbie Tutorial AAR for Newbies (vs. IJ... - 7/25/2017 3:52:09 PM   
damdirtyape

Hi all. New to the forums here. Played the original War in the Pacific a few times many years ago (maybe 20+) against AI Japan - always good fun but always the same strategy, hold out early on until the numbers game crushes Japan. So after two decades, late last year I decided to get bitten by the bug (again) and downloaded it again and often thought .. "Wouldn't it be great if they updated this game ...... ". So after a quick google search I found the matrix games website and purchased WITP AE, installed it on wine (on my Mac) and here I am - straight into Campaign (without China)

I looked around the forums to get a feel for what there is (great to see many active people) and came across this thread. Great read Sardaukar - I'm just following these tips and learning a bunch of stuff! (I'm just about to kick off the 'end turn' for day 1)

One thing did occur to me though when setting up the sub patrols from Manila on turn 1 ... does anyone create Sub Patrol TF's with multiple subs? Is it worth it? Is there any benefit to this? (besides saving clicks and not falling asleep)

Cheers,
DDA

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 275
RE: Sardaukar's Newbie Tutorial AAR for Newbies (vs. IJ... - 7/25/2017 8:46:30 PM   
dave sindel

quote:

ORIGINAL: damdirtyape

Hi all. New to the forums here. Played the original War in the Pacific a few times many years ago (maybe 20+) against AI Japan - always good fun but always the same strategy, hold out early on until the numbers game crushes Japan. So after two decades, late last year I decided to get bitten by the bug (again) and downloaded it again and often thought .. "Wouldn't it be great if they updated this game ...... ". So after a quick google search I found the matrix games website and purchased WITP AE, installed it on wine (on my Mac) and here I am - straight into Campaign (without China)

I looked around the forums to get a feel for what there is (great to see many active people) and came across this thread. Great read Sardaukar - I'm just following these tips and learning a bunch of stuff! (I'm just about to kick off the 'end turn' for day 1)

One thing did occur to me though when setting up the sub patrols from Manila on turn 1 ... does anyone create Sub Patrol TF's with multiple subs? Is it worth it? Is there any benefit to this? (besides saving clicks and not falling asleep)

Cheers,
DDA

I'm a relative newbie myself, but the research I'v done and information I've read indicates that multiple sub TF's (i.e. a "wolfpack" concept) are not effective in this game. The only times I have multiple subs in the same TF are minelaying missions and transport missions.

(in reply to damdirtyape)
Post #: 276
RE: Sardaukar's Newbie Tutorial AAR for Newbies (vs. IJ... - 7/25/2017 10:25:42 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: dave sindel

quote:

ORIGINAL: damdirtyape

Cheers,
DDA

I'm a relative newbie myself, but the research I'v done and information I've read indicates that multiple sub TF's (i.e. a "wolfpack" concept) are not effective in this game. The only times I have multiple subs in the same TF are minelaying missions and transport missions.

Firstly - Welcome back to the madness!

Secondly - This is Sardaukar's AAR and usually comments from others are directed toward AAR events. Questions about what works in game are best posted in the main forum or the War Room.

Thirdly - good question. Most veterans will tell you that single sub TFs patrolling an fairly wide area offer the best chance of finding targets and avoiding detection. I differ a little - if I know where the enemy traffic flows I use two subs per TF and a smaller patrol zone. If detection level shows the enemy knows about them, I send them to another spot along the stream and substitute another sub TF in the area vacated.

Why two subs? One sub cannot always detect everything in a hex - visual range in good weather daylight is about 11 nm and radar range would be limited by the relatively low antenna position, so two subs seem to work a little better than one (no scientific proof, just my impression). Most importantly, if one sub gets an attack and doesn't sink the target, its detection level is raised and the other sub often gets a second attack. Damaged ships often get that second attack and are sunk (after US torpedo dud levels get reasonable!)
So try out both methods and decide what you like.
PS - match subs by speed and range, don't hobble a Gato boat with Argonaut, Nautilus, Narwhal or Dolphin!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to dave sindel)
Post #: 277
RE: Sardaukar's Newbie Tutorial AAR for Newbies (vs. IJ... - 7/25/2017 11:54:37 PM   
Bif1961

On a different tangent, the manila subs, unless the S-versions only have about a 10% chance of their defective torpedoes actually exploding when they do hit. I use my fleet subs at Manila to lay mines at areas I think he will invade and once the mines stocks are exhausted then use them for patrols in his major sea lanes in large numbers using single sub TFs. Your real threat early in the war are the Dutch subs which have effective torpedoes. Use them to hunt any carriers that he might place in those restrictive waters and also at natural choke points. Also swap out commanders for high nav skill high agression and let them do their best at hitting the Japanese, who have poor early war ASW capability. Good luck and enjoy.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 278
RE: Sardaukar's Newbie Tutorial AAR for Newbies (vs. IJ... - 7/26/2017 12:16:47 AM   
Sardaukar

I still use US fleet boats normally. While they don't get that many sinkings, they do get quite surprisingly many. Plus they gain experience.

High aggressiveness, low naval skill in commander and low crew experience is prelude to lost sub, so check your sub commanders when sending them out.

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to Bif1961)
Post #: 279
RE: Sardaukar's Newbie Tutorial AAR for Newbies (vs. IJ... - 7/26/2017 9:16:35 PM   
Bif1961

Changing that many commanders that early causes a lot of PP to be spent where the PPs could be spent elsewhere. The US Fleet subs used the Mk 14 torpedo which has a failure rate of approximately 90% when it hits. The S-boats used the Mark 10 which has a failure rate of about 30%. Use the fleet subs as mine layers, mines work far better than their torpedoes do, and then after the mines are exhausted use them as normal.

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 280
RE: Sardaukar's Newbie Tutorial AAR for Newbies (vs. IJ... - 7/27/2017 3:36:31 PM   
Sardaukar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bif1961

Changing that many commanders that early causes a lot of PP to be spent where the PPs could be spent elsewhere. The US Fleet subs used the Mk 14 torpedo which has a failure rate of approximately 90% when it hits. The S-boats used the Mark 10 which has a failure rate of about 30%. Use the fleet subs as mine layers, mines work far better than their torpedoes do, and then after the mines are exhausted use them as normal.

Mk 14 has 80% dud rate in game, drops to 60% in Jan 1943 and to 10% in Sept 1943.

Mk 10 has 10% dud rate all the time.

Please get your facts straight before posting.

< Message edited by Sardaukar -- 7/27/2017 3:37:22 PM >

(in reply to Bif1961)
Post #: 281
RE: Sardaukar's Newbie Tutorial AAR for Newbies (vs. IJ... - 7/27/2017 8:46:52 PM   
Bif1961

I am basing my numbers on several games I have played as the Allied player, you may have different results. Let's talk about facts. The MK 14 torpedo and the MK 10 both had depth running problems at the start of the war, while the Mk 10's where fixed quickly those of the MK 14 persisted for another year and only then were the other two major issues noticed, one at a time with the MK 14 torpedo. The combination of these problems all but rendered the MK 14 useless until the problems were finally resolved in late 1943. The magnetic trigger was not disarmed until mid 43 when they noticed that the contact trigger was also defective. Testing of the contact trigger produced a failure rate of 70%. So in December, 1941 the US submarine fleet were armed with a defective MK 10 which was corrected but never, never successfully exploding at 90%. Also the MK 14s three issues were not resolved until almost 1944 and still recorded, according to naval stats kept a 36% dud rate after all fixes were corrected. In fact the MK 14 was so bad that the US navy considered using a much better functioning British submarine fleet torpedo, but the cost and time to refit the entire submarine fleet was time and cost prohibited. So to say that the MK 14 was only 60% defective after Jan 43 is historically incorrect, and my experience in the game bares that out, since neither the magnetic nor the contact trigger were thought to be the issue nor repaired by then and the contact trigger alone had a 70% dud rate. There is a difference between missing and duds. Duds happen only after you hit, and hits did increase when the depth issue was corrected by jan 43, exposing the magnetic issues, once the Navy admitted it was the magnetic trigger and not the Captain and crew's fault. once they deactivated the magnetic trigger then the problem with the contact trigger became apparent, with a tested 70% failure rate. Now if the game models something different then what was actually historic then that is a different matter.

< Message edited by Bif1961 -- 7/29/2017 12:59:09 AM >

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 282
RE: Sardaukar's Newbie Tutorial AAR for Newbies (vs. IJ... - 7/29/2017 2:21:38 AM   
Sardaukar

You can easily check the real numbers in editor.

Historical numbers are irrelevant to game.

< Message edited by Sardaukar -- 7/29/2017 2:22:25 AM >

(in reply to Bif1961)
Post #: 283
RE: Sardaukar's Newbie Tutorial AAR for Newbies (vs. IJ... - 7/29/2017 3:12:48 PM   
Bif1961

Historical numbers are irrelevant to game

I find that to be an odd statement since the game, on the box itself, claims to be a historically accurate simulation.

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 284
RE: Sardaukar's Newbie Tutorial AAR for Newbies (vs. IJ... - 7/29/2017 6:57:23 PM   
Sardaukar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bif1961

Historical numbers are irrelevant to game

I find that to be an odd statement since the game, on the box itself, claims to be a historically accurate simulation.

It is reasonably accurate.

It's nitpickers that have trouble. Deal with it. It is strategic game with detail.

Playing this game is privilege, not obligation.

< Message edited by Sardaukar -- 7/29/2017 7:02:55 PM >

(in reply to Bif1961)
Post #: 285
RE: Sardaukar's Newbie Tutorial AAR for Newbies (vs. IJ... - 7/29/2017 11:44:23 PM   
Bif1961

Grognards can be nitpicking when it come to historic accuracy and when a game allows you to pic individual pilots by name it reaches far below the Strategic level and includes Operational and Tactical levels as well. Since the game is free to anyone to purchase and play it is not a privilege but it should be educational, fun and challenging, which I find it to be.

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 286
RE: Sardaukar's Newbie Tutorial AAR for Newbies (vs. IJ... - 7/30/2017 12:01:43 PM   
Sardaukar

While this was against AI, IJN had a bad day in Jan 6 1943 doing bit of raiding... Admiral Somerville on the other hand had good night, apart from one BB and one CL needing serious drydock time. Some bad sailing there....

Few CA and DDs. vs. 4x BB, 4x CA, few CL and assorted DDs...

Night Time Surface Combat, near Colombo at 29,48, Range 4,000 Yards

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
E13A1 Jake: 3 destroyed

Japanese Ships
CA Kinugasa, Shell hits 17, and is sunk
CA Kako, Shell hits 7, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
DD Natsugumo, Shell hits 6, and is sunk
DD Fumizuki

Allied Ships
BB Revenge
BB Royal Sovereign, Shell hits 1
BB Ramillies, Shell hits 1
BB Resolution, Shell hits 2
CA Dorsetshire
CA Devonshire
CA Cornwall
CA Exeter
CL Hobart
CL Ceres
CL Birmingham
CL Capetown
DD Arunta
DD Nepal
DD Nizam
DD Norman
DD Isaac Sweers
DD Tjerk Hiddes

Poor visibility due to Thunderstorms with 0% moonlight
Maximum visibility in Thunderstorms and 0% moonlight: 2,000 yards
Range closes to 23,000 yards...
CONTACT: Allies radar detects Japanese task force at 23,000 yards
Range closes to 21,000 yards...
Range closes to 19,000 yards...
Range closes to 17,000 yards...
CONTACT: Allies radar detects Japanese task force at 17,000 yards
Range closes to 15,000 yards...
CONTACT: Allies radar detects Japanese task force at 15,000 yards
Range closes to 13,000 yards...
Range closes to 11,000 yards...
Range closes to 10,000 yards...
CONTACT: Allies radar detects Japanese task force at 10,000 yards
Range closes to 9,000 yards...
Range closes to 8,000 yards...
Range closes to 7,000 yards...
CONTACT: Allies radar detects Japanese task force at 7,000 yards
Range closes to 6,000 yards...
Range closes to 5,000 yards...
CONTACT: Allies radar detects Japanese task force at 5,000 yards
Range closes to 4,000 yards...
CONTACT: Allies radar detects Japanese task force at 4,000 yards
Allies open fire on surprised Japanese ships at 4,000 yards
BB Resolution fires at CA Kako at 4,000 yards
BB Ramillies fires at CA Kinugasa at 4,000 yards
BB Royal Sovereign fires at CA Kinugasa at 4,000 yards
DD Nizam launches Torpedoes at CA Kako at 4,000 yards
DD Arunta launches Torpedoes at DD Natsugumo at 4,000 yards
Range closes to 3,000 yards
CA Kinugasa engages BB Resolution at 3,000 yards
CA Kinugasa engages BB Ramillies at 3,000 yards
CA Kinugasa engages BB Royal Sovereign at 3,000 yards
DD Natsugumo sunk by BB Resolution at 3,000 yards
CA Kinugasa engages DD Nizam at 3,000 yards
Range increases to 5,000 yards
CA Kako engages BB Resolution at 5,000 yards
CA Kinugasa sunk by BB Resolution at 5,000 yards
DD Fumizuki engages DD Arunta at 5,000 yards
DD Fumizuki engages DD Isaac Sweers at 5,000 yards
DD Fumizuki engages DD Arunta at 5,000 yards
Range closes to 4,000 yards
BB Resolution engages CA Kako at 4,000 yards
DD Nizam engages DD Fumizuki at 4,000 yards
DD Fumizuki engages DD Nepal at 4,000 yards
Range increases to 6,000 yards
CA Kako sunk by BB Resolution at 6,000 yards
BB Royal Sovereign collides with CL Birmingham at 29 , 48
DD Arunta engages DD Fumizuki at 6,000 yards
Task forces break off...

< Message edited by Sardaukar -- 7/30/2017 12:05:06 PM >

(in reply to Bif1961)
Post #: 287
RE: Sardaukar's Newbie Tutorial AAR for Newbies (vs. IJ... - 7/30/2017 4:00:08 PM   
BBfanboy

Nice to see some info from your actual game! Kudos to Adm. Somerville and his master, but I am not surprised by the collision with 18 ships maneuvering at night. I think putting all the cruisers and three DDs in one TF and the four BBs and three DDs in the other would have been just as effective without raising the odds of collision so much.
If you are concerned about the BBs not having enough to keep DDs away, put Ceres and Capetown with the BBs so you have a 9-9 split and all the fast modern cruisers are grouped together.
Hope you have time to post more of your AAR so we get an overview of what is going on in each active area.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 288
RE: Sardaukar's Newbie Tutorial AAR for Newbies (vs. IJ... - 7/30/2017 8:12:02 PM   
Dirtnap86

While every cruiser counts, especially against the IJN, Kako and Kinugasa are the older Aoba/Furataka class. Not worth as many points

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 289
RE: Sardaukar's Newbie Tutorial AAR for Newbies (vs. IJ... - 7/30/2017 9:27:35 PM   
Sardaukar

I basically put everything I had in Colombo out to sea, when my search planes detected IJN cruiser force. Due to FOW, it did show 4xCA, so I didn't want to risk smaller TF. Turned out to be 2x CA and 2xDD.

Maybe my TF was bit of overkill but hey..."in for a penny, in for a pound"

< Message edited by Sardaukar -- 7/30/2017 9:28:43 PM >

(in reply to Dirtnap86)
Post #: 290
RE: Sardaukar's Newbie Tutorial AAR for Newbies (vs. IJ... - 7/30/2017 9:49:51 PM   
Sardaukar

I have re-done the campaign quite intensively.

Main efforts are now Thailand (where 6th and 7th AUS Divisions smashed Japanese in Moulmein) and Port Moresby, where 5th and 8th AUS Divisions hold place steadily. I always evacuate 2 brigades of AUS 8th Division from Singapore. Hate to see them going to captivity, since I like Australians.

18th UK Division and Americal Division are in Noumea, 2 USMC divisions are now in Sydney, preparing for Solomon Islands campaign. Midway has been built as forward submarine base and Adak I. in Aleutians is on it's way to get maxed. Midway got unwanted attention from IJN carriers recently, but USMC Wildcats stationed there accounted themselves well.

Some nice things from subs, since now dud rate is bit down (to 60% with Mk14)

Japanese Ships
CL Kashii, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
TB Kiji

Allied Ships
SS Grenadier

SS Grenadier launches 4 torpedoes at CL Kashii
Grenadier diving deep ....
TB Kiji fails to find sub, continues to search...
Escort abandons search for sub

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR Jan 07, 43

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Night Time Surface Combat, near Colombo at 29,48, Range 2,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
DD Fumizuki, Shell hits 7, heavy fires, heavy damage

Allied Ships
BB Revenge
BB Royal Sovereign
BB Ramillies
BB Resolution
CA Dorsetshire
CA Devonshire
CA Cornwall
CA Exeter
CL Hobart
CL Ceres
CL Birmingham
CL Capetown
DD Arunta
DD Nepal
DD Nizam
DD Norman
DD Isaac Sweers
DD Tjerk Hiddes

Reduced visibility due to Thunderstorms with 0% moonlight
Maximum visibility in Thunderstorms and 0% moonlight: 2,000 yards
CONTACT: Allies radar detects Japanese task force at 5,000 yards
Range closes to 3,000 yards...
Range closes to 2,000 yards...
CONTACT: Allied lookouts spot Japanese task force at 2,000 yards
Allies open fire on surprised Japanese ships at 2,000 yards
DD Arunta launches Torpedoes at DD Fumizuki at 2,000 yards
BB Resolution engages DD Fumizuki at 2,000 yards
Range increases to 7,000 yards
BB Resolution engages DD Fumizuki at 7,000 yards
CA Devonshire engages DD Fumizuki at 7,000 yards
Task forces break off..

Afternoon Air attack on Midway Island , at 158,91

Weather in hex: Severe storms

Raid detected at 105 NM, estimated altitude 17,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 39 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 16
B5N2 Kate x 2
B6N1 Jill x 12
D3A1 Val x 19

Allied aircraft
F4F-4 Wildcat x 18

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 5 destroyed
B5N2 Kate: 1 damaged
B6N1 Jill: 1 damaged
D3A1 Val: 14 damaged
D3A1 Val: 1 destroyed by flak

Allied aircraft losses
F4F-4 Wildcat: 1 destroyed

Airbase hits 1
Runway hits 1

Aircraft Attacking:
11 x D3A1 Val releasing from 2000'
Airfield Attack: 1 x 250 kg GP Bomb
12 x B6N1 Jill bombing from 14000 feet
Airfield Attack: 2 x 250 kg GP Bomb
2 x B5N2 Kate bombing from 12000 feet
Port Attack: 2 x 250 kg SAP Bomb
5 x D3A1 Val releasing from 3000'
2 x D3A1 Val releasing from 1000'

CAP engaged:
VMF-214 with F4F-4 Wildcat (3 airborne, 6 on standby, 9 scrambling)
3 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 20000 , scrambling fighters between 6000 and 20000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 32 minutes

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 291
RE: Sardaukar's Newbie Tutorial AAR for Newbies (vs. IJ... - 7/30/2017 9:57:21 PM   
Sardaukar

Considering that USMC pilots in Midway got 5-1 result against Zeros, it was outstanding achievement. Beer stocks have been replenished for the VMF-214!

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 292
RE: Sardaukar's Newbie Tutorial AAR for Newbies (vs. IJ... - 7/31/2017 11:43:36 AM   
Sardaukar

Actually forgot that Americal Div is also in Sydney now.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 293
RE: Sardaukar's Newbie Tutorial AAR for Newbies (vs. IJ... - 7/31/2017 12:16:04 PM   
Sardaukar

Admiral Somerville has his 3rd consecutive successful night engagement and is put for possible recipient of Victoria Cross. Also, CPT Halfhide, CO of BB Resolution, (amusing name, man, not the ship) will get bar for his DSO for sinking 2 enemy ships in single engagement.

Night Time Surface Combat, near Colombo at 29,48, Range 2,000 Yards

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
E13A1 Jake: 1 destroyed
F1M2 Pete: 1 destroyed

Japanese Ships
CA Maya, Shell hits 11, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
CL Kiso, Shell hits 2, on fire
DD Hatakaze, Shell hits 7, and is sunk
DD Shiokaze, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk

Allied Ships
BB Revenge, Shell hits 2
BB Ramillies, Shell hits 1
BB Resolution, Shell hits 1
CA Dorsetshire
CA Devonshire, Shell hits 1
CA Cornwall, Shell hits 1
CA Exeter
CL Hobart
CL Ceres
CL Capetown
DD Arunta
DD Nepal
DD Nizam
DD Norman
DD Isaac Sweers
DD Tjerk Hiddes

Poor visibility due to Thunderstorms with 3% moonlight
Maximum visibility in Thunderstorms and 3% moonlight: 2,000 yards
CONTACT: Allies radar detects Japanese task force at 21,000 yards
CONTACT: Allies radar detects Japanese task force at 19,000 yards
CONTACT: Allies radar detects Japanese task force at 7,000 yards
Range closes to 3,000 yards...
Range closes to 2,000 yards...
CONTACT: Allies radar detects Japanese task force at 2,000 yards
CL Kiso collides with DD Shiokaze at 29 , 48
CA Maya engages BB Resolution at 2,000 yards
CA Maya engages BB Ramillies at 2,000 yards
BB Revenge engages DD Shiokaze at 2,000 yards
DD Hatakaze sunk by BB Resolution at 2,000 yards
CA Cornwall engages CA Maya at 2,000 yards
CA Maya engages CA Devonshire at 2,000 yards
DD Shiokaze engages DD Tjerk Hiddes at 2,000 yards
CA Maya sunk by BB Resolution at 2,000 yards
CA Cornwall engages CL Kiso at 2,000 yards
BB Ramillies engages CL Kiso at 2,000 yards
DD Tjerk Hiddes engages DD Shiokaze at 2,000 yards
Range increases to 5,000 yards
CL Kiso engages BB Resolution at 5,000 yards
DD Shiokaze sunk by DD Tjerk Hiddes at 5,000 yards
Range increases to 6,000 yards
CA Devonshire engages CL Kiso at 6,000 yards
CL Kiso engages BB Ramillies at 6,000 yards
Range increases to 8,000 yards
CL Kiso engages CA Cornwall at 8,000 yards
Task forces break off...

< Message edited by Sardaukar -- 7/31/2017 12:23:24 PM >

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 294
RE: Sardaukar's Newbie Tutorial AAR for Newbies (vs. IJ... - 7/31/2017 3:05:40 PM   
BBfanboy

So much for the theory about smaller TFs avoiding collisions better - the Japanese had a collision with only four ships in their TF!

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 295
RE: Sardaukar's Newbie Tutorial AAR for Newbies (vs. IJ... - 7/31/2017 3:53:46 PM   
Sardaukar

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

So much for the theory about smaller TFs avoiding collisions better - the Japanese had a collision with only four ships in their TF!

I'd panic too if 3x BBs and 4x CAs would appear from thunderstorm. Kind of reminds me of Shattered Sword and debacle between CA Mogami and CA Mikuma.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 296
RE: Sardaukar's Newbie Tutorial AAR for Newbies (vs. IJ... - 8/5/2017 2:51:50 PM   
Sardaukar

SACPAC (Supreme Allied Commander Pacific) attack plans for first half of 1943 are in this Top Secret planning map.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 297
RE: Sardaukar's Newbie Tutorial AAR for Newbies (vs. IJ... - 8/5/2017 4:27:49 PM   
Dirtnap86

Ouch, Maya was a Takao class, one of the most modern the IJN fielded. Then again, sniffing around the Indian Ocean is always a bad idea when the RN still has the R-class BBs hanging about.

Fun fact: Maya was remodeled later on in the war. Her C turret was removed and additional 25mm triple mounts were installed in it's stead along with more powerful air search radar and additional fire directors.

< Message edited by Dirtnap86 -- 8/5/2017 4:29:19 PM >

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 298
RE: Sardaukar's Newbie Tutorial AAR for Newbies (vs. IJ... - 8/5/2017 9:48:19 PM   
Sardaukar

There were major factors giving RN an edge in those engagements. Adm. Somerville is one of the best naval commanders in game when it comes to Naval skill and Aggressiveness. Weather was thunderstorms with 0%-3% moonlight and max. visibility of 2000 yards. RN has good night fighting experience and radar.

(in reply to Dirtnap86)
Post #: 299
RE: Sardaukar's Newbie Tutorial AAR for Newbies (vs. IJ... - 9/30/2017 10:17:45 AM   
Sardaukar

Some surprises in January....

Good thing I had ASW TF in Colombo.

Sub attack near Colombo at 29,48

Japanese Ships
SS I-24, hits 7

Allied Ships
KV Nigella
KV Auricula
KV Hollyhock
KV Aster

SS I-24 launches 2 torpedoes at KV Nigella
I-24 bottoming out ....
KV Hollyhock fails to find sub and abandons search
KV Aster fails to find sub, continues to search...
KV Aster attacking submerged sub ....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack near Colombo at 29,48

Japanese Ships
SS I-16, hits 12

Allied Ships
KV Auricula
KV Hollyhock
KV Aster

SS I-16 launches 2 torpedoes at KV Auricula
I-16 bottoming out ....
KV Aster attacking submerged sub ....
KV Aster cannot reach attack position over SS I-16

ASW attack near Colombo at 29,48

Japanese Ships
SSX Ha-26

Allied Ships
KV Nigella
KV Auricula
KV Hollyhock
KV Aster

SSX Ha-26 is located by KV Nigella

and OUCH:

Ground combat at Loyang (87,43)

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 44431 troops, 342 guns, 64 vehicles, Assault Value = 1550

Defending force 42250 troops, 84 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 918

Japanese adjusted assault: 1962

Allied adjusted defense: 240

Japanese assault odds: 8 to 1 (fort level 0)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Loyang !!!

Combat modifiers
Defender: preparation(-), experience(-), supply(-)
Attacker: shock(+)

Japanese ground losses:
3030 casualties reported
Squads: 7 destroyed, 308 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 24 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 21 disabled
Vehicles lost 1 (1 destroyed, 0 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
18840 casualties reported
Squads: 334 destroyed, 285 disabled
Non Combat: 585 destroyed, 54 disabled
Engineers: 77 destroyed, 4 disabled
Guns lost 29 (10 destroyed, 19 disabled)
Units retreated 13
Units destroyed 1

Defeated Allied Units Retreating!

Assaulting units:
35th Division
110th Division
4th Ind.Mixed Brigade
27th Division
36th Division
9th Ind.Mixed Brigade
1st Army

Defending units:
80th Chinese Corps
15th Chinese Corps
93rd Chinese Corps
40th Chinese Corps
2nd Chinese Cavalry Corps
39th Group Army
4th Chinese Base Force
14th Group Army
1st War Area
24th Group Army
Jingcha War Area
36th Group Army
15th Group Army
10th Chinese Base Force

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 300
Page:   <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Sardaukar's Newbie Tutorial AAR for Newbies (vs. IJ AI) Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI