Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 10/2/2017 1:02:55 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kothyxaan

I am continually amazed by what you are making this game do.
Keep up the good work!

Thank you for the words of encouragement. It means A LOT. I was very frustrated and ready to trash the whole thing last night. http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4354234&mpage=1&key=�

(in reply to Kothyxaan)
Post #: 211
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 10/3/2017 1:45:55 PM   
RogerBacon

Terraforming

It has recently been brought to my attention that the terraforming facility in the facilities.txt file only repairs damage to a colony and does not actually raise the habitability rating above starting. In the next version of the Bacon Mod I will add terraforming so that this facility will raise the habitability rating. As always, this will be an optional feature implemented as follows:
In facilities.txt you have the terraforming facility (entry #9)
9, Terraforming Facility, 7, 0, 9, 20000.0, 2000.0, 200, 0, 0

The last two values after the repair rate (both zero) are unused. In the Bacon Mod they will be used for 'terraforming rate' and 'habitability cap'. The default values for the Bacon Mod will be 500 and 80

9, Terraforming Facility, 7, 0, 9, 20000.0, 2000.0, 200, 500, 80

This means that the habitability rating would improve up to a rating of 80, where it would stop. The improvement is semi-asymptotel, meaning that the rate of terraforming will be quicker when far from the limit and slow down as approaching the limit. It's not a true asymptote so you will eventually reach to limit.

For those not wishing to use this feature, simply don't make the changes to the terraforming facility.

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 212
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 10/3/2017 5:47:30 PM   
Sabranan

That's an excellent addition Roger, I'll make sure my modding tool supports editing these values very shortly!

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 213
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 10/3/2017 7:44:40 PM   
Japhet

I think this is my favourite mod change by far. Great work!

Btw, do you think it's possible to add resources to stars and black holes?

(in reply to Sabranan)
Post #: 214
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 10/4/2017 12:55:12 AM   
RogerBacon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Japhet

I think this is my favourite mod change by far. Great work!

Btw, do you think it's possible to add resources to stars and black holes?

I'm glad you like it. It seems there is an inverse relationship between the amount of work for a feature and people's reaction to it. The terraforming was almost trivial to do. The only hard part was coming up with a formula that I liked.

I don't think I'll be adding resources to stars or black holes though.

With the terraforming, players will be free to set whatever values they want. They could also make techs that improve the terraforming values the same way a tech can improve the values of weapons. So, an initial terraforming tech might have a habitability cap of 70 and a later one improves it to 80. It will be interesting to see what people come up with. The only reason I didn't do it is that I want to make as few dependencies on the text files as possible so that people can use the Bacon Mod with other mods fairly seamlessly.

(in reply to Japhet)
Post #: 215
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 10/4/2017 10:44:34 AM   
Japhet

I understand. I was mostly asking from a modding perspective, like giving other modders the possibility to add resources to stars. In general, I would like to know what you are actually capable to mod since your work runs deeper than simply changing some text files.

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 216
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 10/4/2017 2:34:32 PM   
RogerBacon

In the upcoming version of he Bacon Mod the filename for XML files for the BaconStats program will be changed to include the seed value of the game. That way you can have multiple games in progress without overriding the stats for each. So the filename will be something like:
SaveStatsEmpires_4332378.xml
SaveStatsPirates_4332378.xml

If you have a save game in progress the recommended procedure to keep you stats is as follows.
Load your saved game and let it run for one second to generate the new files.
Quit game and rename your existing SaveStatsEmpire.xml and SaveStatsPirates.xml to the new file names while deleting the new files.
Run game and enjoy as usual.

< Message edited by RogerBacon -- 10/5/2017 3:02:31 PM >

(in reply to Japhet)
Post #: 217
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 10/5/2017 3:24:28 PM   
RogerBacon

Science Ships

In the next version of the Bacon Mod you will be able to assign specific research projects to your science ships. This is accomplished vai the new right click menu. Alt- > THEN Ctrl -> right click. You have to press and hold the alt before the ctrl otherwise you will get the default DWU right click menu.
If you don't select a research topic the ship will select one at random as it does in the current release.

Hold Position
This order will force a ship to remain where it is and not accept new orders until you clear it. This is useful for keeping a ship in orbit during an invasion for the +25% bonus. The ship will still fire in self-defense but it will do nothing else.

< Message edited by RogerBacon -- 10/5/2017 4:29:10 PM >

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 218
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 10/5/2017 10:08:03 PM   
StarLab

Excellent! There is always tech I neglect because it's never a huge priority (advanced hab tech, etc). It'll be nice to get the science ships to help out with stuff like that while the main research focuses on better stuff.

Brilliant work, my friend! I look forward to seeing this mod evolve...

-Larry Monte

Latest YouTube Series
DW2 Mortalen Preview
DW2 Ackdarian Preview

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 219
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 10/6/2017 1:39:20 PM   
RogerBacon

Asteroid Colonies

Because... why not? OK, there's really no reason you would build these things other than because you can (now).
Since its not worth wasting an entire colony ship on one of these rocks, there will be a different way to form an asteroid colony from how regular colonies are formed.
When a colony ship reaches an asteroid that you want to colonize. use the new alt+ctrl+right click menu to deploy an asteroid colony. This will NOT consume the colony ship. Instead it will deduct an amount of money as configured in the BaconSettings.txt. The asteroid will then be colonized by 1000 people. Other than its tiny size and Zero habitability rating it will act just like any other colony. I suggest using the new terraform tech to raise the habitability rating because the max population for a typical asteroid is about 25k to 35k. Terraforming in this case can be thought of as adding domed habitats and tunneling out the inside of the rocks.
Allowing asteroid colonies will be a setting in the BaconSettings.txt file since some people won't want them.

picture for illustrative purposes only. Not included in game.

(in reply to StarLab)
Post #: 220
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 10/6/2017 11:01:55 PM   
RogerBacon

Version 1.45 Released

Added Alt+Ctrl+Right Click menu for some ship actions
Added Terraforming (Required facilities.txt edit if used with another mod)
Science Ships now can be given specific projects
Lowest Galaxy star setting now customizable.
First pass at improving pathing for ships out of a gravity well.

Regarding the pathing out of gravity wells. Prior to this version ships did a beeline for their target even if it mean slowboating it across a large gravity well. I'm going to try and change that but everything with gravity wells is a real nightmare so it won't be easy or quick.
In this version I've got it so that ships that are ina gravity well and receive a new mission to a destination outside of the system SHOULD make a shortest path route out of the gravity well +3% and then turn towards their target and jump. If they travel back into the gravity well during the warm up for jump then they are going to slowboat it across the gravity well. Also, a ship's secondary mission target pathing is not improved (yet?). So picking up cargo or whatever from a planet deep in agravity well and taking it somewhere will still result in slowboating out of the gravity well. I'll try to improve that in future versions but no promises. Gravity wells are difficult and I don't want to break ship movement by doing something wrong.

< Message edited by RogerBacon -- 10/6/2017 11:08:42 PM >

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 221
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 10/6/2017 11:18:31 PM   
StarLab

Ok, time to upgrade!

Does this version include the asteroid colonization mentioned further above?

-Larry Monte

Latest YouTube Series
DW2 Mortalen Preview
DW2 Ackdarian Preview

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 222
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 10/6/2017 11:53:20 PM   
Hattori Hanzo

in my opinion asteroid colonization can be a "tricky" way to do a form of "spam colonization" easily claiming for your race nearly all
the systems around your homeworld system building only one or two colonization ships.

it would be barely acceptable only if the AI races can do the same, but I doubt that they can do that..

(in reply to StarLab)
Post #: 223
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 10/6/2017 11:53:31 PM   
Sabranan

It does Larry, I've just tried it. You have to have your colony ship really quite close to the asteroid in question though.

I feel like it has limited usefulness at the moment, but I do quite like the idea of having an entire asteroid field covered in planetary shields and giant ion cannons!

Incidentally Roger a minor issue, I've just changed my terraforming facility to be able to do up to 100% quality (so 1000, 500 and 100 for the three values) and it's gone over 100%, currently looking at a 103% quality planet.

(in reply to StarLab)
Post #: 224
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 10/7/2017 1:04:36 AM   
RogerBacon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hattori Hanzo

in my opinion asteroid colonization can be a "tricky" way to do a form of "spam colonization" easily claiming for your race nearly all
the systems around your homeworld system building only one or two colonization ships.

it would be barely acceptable only if the AI races can do the same, but I doubt that they can do that..

Yes, I considered that. Some things to consider:
1 Self control is essential in a game where an editor is only a click away.
2 The AI WILL colonize asteroids. :)
3 Asteroids should not generate a sphere of influence until they reach 1,000,000 population (which will require some major terraforming).

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sabranan

It does Larry, I've just tried it. You have to have your colony ship really quite close to the asteroid in question though.

I feel like it has limited usefulness at the moment, but I do quite like the idea of having an entire asteroid field covered in planetary shields and giant ion cannons!

Incidentally Roger a minor issue, I've just changed my terraforming facility to be able to do up to 100% quality (so 1000, 500 and 100 for the three values) and it's gone over 100%, currently looking at a 103% quality planet.

See, that's what I like. People thinking outside the box. Yeah, multiple colonies with overlapping defenses could be quire formable.

Rats about the terraforming exceeding the limit. I worked for awhile to get that formula. I supposed I screwed up somewhere. I'll take a look at it later. Hopefully it just went a little over and then will stop. Let me know if it keeps going up forever.

(in reply to Sabranan)
Post #: 225
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 10/7/2017 2:40:50 AM   
Sabranan

I think it's going up forever lol, my homeworld is at 165% quality right now and the four other worlds I currently have terraforming facilities on are pretty close to that too. Even the asteroid I've been testing has breached 100%.

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 226
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 10/7/2017 1:52:31 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sabranan

I think it's going up forever lol, my homeworld is at 165% quality right now and the four other worlds I currently have terraforming facilities on are pretty close to that too. Even the asteroid I've been testing has breached 100%.

I found the problem. Habitability is really 0.0 - 1.0. The number you see is multiplied by 100. So the limit value should be 0.8 for 80% habitability limit. I'm not sure making changes to the facilities.txt file are reflected in saved game. If they are then you can just change your file and everything should be good. I'll make a note in the readme and change the default value for future versions.

[Edit]

Actually, it will require a change on my end because its an int value. If you put 0.8 in there DWU will crash on loading. I'll put out an update in a couple of hours.

[Edit2]
Fixed and re-uploaded. The new exe has today's date 10/7) Thanks for the catch Sabranan.

< Message edited by RogerBacon -- 10/7/2017 3:53:30 PM >

(in reply to Sabranan)
Post #: 227
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 10/7/2017 3:55:14 PM   
Hattori Hanzo

quote:

ORIGINAL: RogerBacon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hattori Hanzo

Yes, I considered that. Some things to consider:
1 Self control is essential in a game where an editor is only a click away.
2 The AI WILL colonize asteroids. :)
3 Asteroids should not generate a sphere of influence until they reach 1,000,000 population (which will require some major terraforming).

hi RogerBacon, thanks for the quick reply
I will give it a try: awesome work as ever

< Message edited by Hattori Hanzo -- 10/7/2017 3:56:22 PM >

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 228
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 10/7/2017 4:01:49 PM   
Sabranan

Yeah I was going to say I don't think I've ever seen a facility value use decimal numbers. That's good though, it means I shouldn't have to change anything for it to work.

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 229
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 10/9/2017 10:49:55 AM   
eu33

Hey, i have your mod installed along with retreat's extended mod and i noticed a few bugs and inconveniences:
- exploration ships get stuck exploring gas clouds( they get better with "planet survey" research level 2)
- exploration ships' automatic explore takes them to very far systems instead of exploring the closest systems first
- some of the enemies don't attack at all. your ships just destroys them without any damage taken. i destroyed a legendary pirate faction with just one Heavy cruiser.
- enemy carriers continue the fighter attack even after you struck a deal with the faction that owns them (peace, protection etc).
- i play Boskara and even though i have researched their special torpedo weapons completely (n-fold energy pulsing), the automatic design does not use them into designing ships. it uses Energy Torpedoe Weapons (which is a lvl 1 joke).

I will edit more as i find more but a few of these are gamebreaking! would you please look into this ? i love this mod and i want to see it in it's perfect form :D

< Message edited by eu33 -- 10/9/2017 10:50:41 AM >

(in reply to Sabranan)
Post #: 230
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 10/9/2017 2:10:32 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

ORIGINAL: eu33

Hey, i have your mod installed along with retreat's extended mod and i noticed a few bugs and inconveniences:
- exploration ships get stuck exploring gas clouds( they get better with "planet survey" research level 2)
- exploration ships' automatic explore takes them to very far systems instead of exploring the closest systems first
- some of the enemies don't attack at all. your ships just destroys them without any damage taken. i destroyed a legendary pirate faction with just one Heavy cruiser.
- enemy carriers continue the fighter attack even after you struck a deal with the faction that owns them (peace, protection etc).
- i play Boskara and even though i have researched their special torpedo weapons completely (n-fold energy pulsing), the automatic design does not use them into designing ships. it uses Energy Torpedoe Weapons (which is a lvl 1 joke).

I will edit more as i find more but a few of these are gamebreaking! would you please look into this ? i love this mod and i want to see it in it's perfect form :D

Hi and thanks for the feedback. Some thoughts:

Did you, by chance, give the exploration ship manual orders? Specifically the order to explore a sector? I just recently found out this is possible and if "sector" is distinct from "planet" or "system" then I don't take that into account and it might cause strange behavoir. I'm looking into it.

Did you hit a key as soon as your game loaded? It is important not to wait beacuse the game is doing calculations (even when paused) and the gravity wells, as well as all other mod settings, are not present until you hit a key and the settings get loaded. This can cause undesirable AI behavior.

The ships not attacking at all is also probably due to your ship not being recognized as being "in the system". Threats are determined from ships in-system. If you ever click on one of your ships that is in a system and you don't see the gravity well circle then the game doesn't think its in the system. It is also probably related to loading in the settings late.

A fighter is considered a weapon, like a missile. It will finish its current attack shot even if the target is no longer hostile. You don't notice this in vanilla because their range is so short that making a deal with the pirates means they might only have one second for the fighter to take its shot. With longer ranges the fighter might still spend 20 seconds or so traveling to its target to take that shot. Did they continue fighting you for a long time or just a short while after you made the treaty?

I have no idea about the AI choices for weapons for auto-refit. I've never used that option and I didn't touch anything there with my mod.

(in reply to eu33)
Post #: 231
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 10/10/2017 7:21:48 AM   
Kothyxaan

quote:

Can't check this right now... but from memory the Boskara/Shakturi is available as a level 2 tech right?
Does the Energy Torpedo have a level 3 tech upgrade to it and have you researched this?
Because if it does then the auto-refit will still choose it over the the boskara torpedo, because it is further along the tech tree.

< Message edited by Kothyxaan -- 10/10/2017 7:22:32 AM >

(in reply to eu33)
Post #: 232
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 10/11/2017 6:45:36 AM   
eu33

quote:

Hi and thanks for the feedback. Some thoughts:

Did you, by chance, give the exploration ship manual orders? Specifically the order to explore a sector? I just recently found out this is possible and if "sector" is distinct from "planet" or "system" then I don't take that into account and it might cause strange behavoir. I'm looking into it.

Did you hit a key as soon as your game loaded? It is important not to wait beacuse the game is doing calculations (even when paused) and the gravity wells, as well as all other mod settings, are not present until you hit a key and the settings get loaded. This can cause undesirable AI behavior.

The ships not attacking at all is also probably due to your ship not being recognized as being "in the system". Threats are determined from ships in-system. If you ever click on one of your ships that is in a system and you don't see the gravity well circle then the game doesn't think its in the system. It is also probably related to loading in the settings late.

A fighter is considered a weapon, like a missile. It will finish its current attack shot even if the target is no longer hostile. You don't notice this in vanilla because their range is so short that making a deal with the pirates means they might only have one second for the fighter to take its shot. With longer ranges the fighter might still spend 20 seconds or so traveling to its target to take that shot. Did they continue fighting you for a long time or just a short while after you made the treaty?

I have no idea about the AI choices for weapons for auto-refit. I've never used that option and I didn't touch anything there with my mod.

THanks for your reply!

That explore ships' behavior is happening in auto mode. I play without the grav wells as it slows down the game a lot.
Regarding the fighters, they fight until the target is killed then they return to the carrier. they dont attack a new target.

quote:

Can't check this right now... but from memory the Boskara/Shakturi is available as a level 2 tech right?
Does the Energy Torpedo have a level 3 tech upgrade to it and have you researched this?
Because if it does then the auto-refit will still choose it over the the boskara torpedo, because it is further along the tech tree.

Boskara has the torpedo available when you start the game. in my case i havent researched any other weapons except for caslon misiles and the boksara special torpedoes (n-fold ... ) but the designer uses the lvl 1 torpedo(the one just before boksara's special torpedo tech) which is a joke.

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 233
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 10/11/2017 7:10:04 AM   
eu33

quote:

how do i go about loading the settings in the most efficient way ? i pressed random keys while loading and at the exact time the game loaded and the systems still still didn't get explored by my ships ( i saw the explore ships going from planet to planet but i wasn't able to click any planet that was visited by it - especially independent colonies - like it was unexplored.)

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 234
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 10/11/2017 8:30:18 AM   
Kothyxaan

quote:

Boskara has the torpedo available when you start the game. in my case i havent researched any other weapons except for caslon misiles and the boksara special torpedoes (n-fold ... ) but the designer uses the lvl 1 torpedo(the one just before boksara's special torpedo tech) which is a joke.

Wait, did you start of with the tech or did you research it?
I just started a game as Boskara (had to start with tech level 2 since it is a tech level 2 weapon). All my ship designs started of with the "shaktur firestorm" which is their special weapon.
None of them had any other torpedo weapon.

I will now start of a tech level 1 game and research the "devestating plasma charge" tech, the one that gives them their special torpedo and see what happens.

Ships have started of with the Epsilon Torpedo (because I still need to research their special torpedo).
Special Torpedo researched, auto-refit did not replace Epsilon Torpedo with the Shaktur Firestorm.
Now I will test the vanilla .exe (I am willing to bet money the result will be the same).
Oh yeh, I am using the Extended mod as well (but with the AI improvement - but that does not change anything that would affect things here. In the ship files all items are lumped together beams covers all beams, torpedos covers all torpedos etc).

Vanilla exe: Tech level 2 start, all ships have Shaktur Firestorm Torpedo.
Vanilla exe: Tech level 1 start, all ship have started with the Epsilon Torpedo (now the waiting for those lazy Boskara scientists to research their special tech... zzzz...).
Yay! My explorers discovered Fuel storage tech! At least their not lazy.
I fear I may have to execute a scientist or two to inspire them to research faster; this is the Boskara way (or maybe not, they do have a hive mind government after all).
45%... zzzz...
53%...
58%... *sips on his cup of tea*
65%... *nibbles on a biscuit*
89%... *just back from the toilet - washed hands - its the hygienic thing to do*
99%!
HUZZAH!

It is as I feared. Using auto-refit did not replace the Epsilon Torpedo with the newly researched, a big thank you to my hard working and under appreciated scientists, Shakturi Firestorm.

So this is actually stock game behaviour and nothing to do with the baconmod.

< Message edited by Kothyxaan -- 10/11/2017 8:31:25 AM >

(in reply to eu33)
Post #: 235
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 10/11/2017 1:30:37 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

quote:

how do i go about loading the settings in the most efficient way ? i pressed random keys while loading and at the exact time the game loaded and the systems still still didn't get explored by my ships ( i saw the explore ships going from planet to planet but i wasn't able to click any planet that was visited by it - especially independent colonies - like it was unexplored.)

Just pressing one key when the game has finished loading is enough. "Finished loading" means when the keyboard responds to your input, like pause and unpause for example.

Did the system the explorer was in have the graphic overlay that is usually present when you don't have a ship in the system? With gravity wells being disabled I can't think of anything else that would cause exploration ships to not explore. The next time you see this behavior order the explorer manually t oexplore a planet and see if it works. If it does, put it back on auto and see if it continues to explore properly.

(in reply to eu33)
Post #: 236
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 10/11/2017 1:31:29 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

It is as I feared. Using auto-refit did not replace the Epsilon Torpedo with the newly researched, a big thank you to my hard working and under appreciated scientists, Shakturi Firestorm.

So this is actually stock game behaviour and nothing to do with the baconmod.

Thanks for testing this out for me Koth.

(in reply to Kothyxaan)
Post #: 237
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 10/13/2017 11:15:59 AM   
BTAxis

Hey, I just found this after some absence from DW, and it's amazing!

A few things though:
- When starting the exe the little credit popup appears twice. That's a bit annoying.
- When starting a new game, opening the ship design menu often causes an exception. It can be circumvented by saving, shutting down the game and then loading though. This is mod-agnostic, it happens with everything.
- The modded exe doesn't play nice with Starfall Corrected. I believe the root cause for that to be with that mod, because everything else seems to work fine with Bacon Mod, but maybe you can shed some light on this issue too.

Also, some ideas I'd like to run by you:
- Currently the A hotkey can only activate automation, it doesn't turn it off. Is this something you can change?
- Some time ago I brought up some bugs. Is there anything in that list that's within your ability to address? (Apart from the freighter item, you already did address that.) The area effect weapon thing and the refuel issue especially seem of note.

Regardless of all that, thanks for making this mod. It's really great.

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 238
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 10/13/2017 1:28:52 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

ORIGINAL: BTAxis

Hey, I just found this after some absence from DW, and it's amazing!

A few things though:
- When starting the exe the little credit popup appears twice. That's a bit annoying.

I know. It's not intentional. I might be able to fix it in the future.
quote:

- When starting a new game, opening the ship design menu often causes an exception. It can be circumvented by saving, shutting down the game and then loading though. This is mod-agnostic, it happens with everything.

Does this happen every time? Did you hit a key before opening the designer? It is VERY important to hit a key before doing anything. the onKeyboardEvent is the first chance I have access to initialize a global variable that I use throughout the mod. If that is not initialized then you are likely to get abnormal results. I have gotten in the habit of unpausing and pausing first thing when the game finishes loading.
quote:

- The modded exe doesn't play nice with Starfall Corrected. I believe the root cause for that to be with that mod, because everything else seems to work fine with Bacon Mod, but maybe you can shed some light on this issue too.

I address that in the other thread
quote:

Also, some ideas I'd like to run by you:
- Currently the A hotkey can only activate automation, it doesn't turn it off. Is this something you can change?

That should be possible
quote:

- Some time ago I brought up some bugs. Is there anything in that list that's within your ability to address? (Apart from the freighter item, you already did address that.) The area effect weapon thing and the refuel issue especially seem of note.

Regardless of all that, thanks for making this mod. It's really great.

Thanks.

(in reply to BTAxis)
Post #: 239
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 10/13/2017 1:53:58 PM   
BTAxis

quote:

Does this happen every time? Did you hit a key before opening the designer? It is VERY important to hit a key before doing anything. the onKeyboardEvent is the first chance I have access to initialize a global variable that I use throughout the mod. If that is not initialized then you are likely to get abnormal results. I have gotten in the habit of unpausing and pausing first thing when the game finishes loading.

Yeah, I read that in the documentation so I pause/unpause at the start of every game as well. And no, it doesn't ALWAYS happen. Just usually. But as I mentioned, it can be worked around, and the game survives if you just ignore the exception so I can always save and reload.

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 240
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI