Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Soviets Activated....

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Soviets Activated.... Page: <<   < prev  60 61 [62] 63 64   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 10/10/2017 1:48:19 PM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

quote:

This is such a strange game!

I do seem to recall folks predicting that an early Soviet activation would be a Japan cake-walk due entirely to the superiority of their air force.

Hmm . . .

Nobody I know has ever started a war with the Soviets this early, outside of Focus Pacific. In addition, most Japanese players pull a surprise attack on the Soviets, but it was Japan that got surprised.

By June, the Japanese fighters can dominate, and during 1942 the Soviets will lose 7 Divisions (approximately) to fight the Germans.

But offsetting the Japanese eventual superiority in the air, is the excellent Soviet AA.

There is very little plane builds, or even replacement troops.

So, I anticipate a change in fortune here eventually, before the end.

In the thread I'm thinking of I don't think there was any date hedging. I was on the other side; I'm not an airplane guy and they can do what they do, but they aren't magical.

In that thread I think I counted up the USSR land OOB and it was something like 32 divisions and division equivalents. They do lose a lot, get a lot, lose some more, get more back, etc. It's a revolving door until 1945.

No, nobody I know of has done what you have here. I applaud the try. Very instructive. But Japan is in trouble worldwide as the Soviet front just deforms every timetable and resource allocation during the critical USA-weak months.

In case I'm not being clear--I think you've done a great job.

The thing that is hard to really measure at this point is the incredible supply burn taking place in Russia. The addition of another massive front probably just puts too much on the Japanese resource plate. Even if Japan has a lot of success elsewhere in 1942 I would think their economy would just have to implode at some point. I think the best Allied strategy is to just "fight hard" anywhere possible. As the Allied player I would be more receptive to risking and losing LCU in the Pacific just to keep Japan busy whereas without the Russian front I would tend to be more conservative.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 1831
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 10/10/2017 2:22:19 PM   
Alfred

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

The 2000 AV garrison "bug" at Harbin has been a very significant factor in aiding the Soviet performance in this match. IIRC that typo "bug" did not exist in 2009-2011 (approximately) or was not perhaps spotted when that earlier discussion probably occurred. Without the typo Lowpe would have been able to position another 1800 AV to meet the Soviet rush. That would completely alter the land dynamics.

Alfred

Mark up another thing about the game I had never heard of. That's a huge garrison.

Bullwinkle,

I gave you the wrong city. It was Mukden, not Harbin which had the typo 2000 AV garrison. It is covered in post #1123 with a link back to the thread where Symon confirmed it was a typo.

Alfred

Post #: 1832
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 10/10/2017 2:43:08 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

The thing that is hard to really measure at this point is the incredible supply burn taking place in Russia. The addition of another massive front probably just puts too much on the Japanese resource plate. Even if Japan has a lot of success elsewhere in 1942 I would think their economy would just have to implode at some point.

Supply can be managed, and there will be enough to 1945.

It is the better starting point for the Allied reconquista that is truly the problem.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 1833
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 10/10/2017 2:53:28 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mahrgell

quote:

Actually, a better question is who isn't reading Obvert's AAR?

Me actually.
Generally I'm almost solely interested in JFB AAR, and my willingness to read AARs depends heavily on the writer. You have a great compact style to present all your exploits, which makes it fun to read. Add to that, that you somehow always land in very "special" situations. :D

So for the last months, I read your AARs exclusively ^.^

Wow, thanks.

(in reply to Mahrgell)
Post #: 1834
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 10/10/2017 6:07:42 PM   
Lowpe

The Rufe, one of my favorite planes, arrives next month and will be a huge help.

Deep base defense against the Allies, surprise CAP and LRCAP, Low CAP on the KB, and front line duty against the Soviets.

5 Sentai can upgrade to the Rufe by the end of April, if I can expand them all to 24 they will provide a great benefit to the Empire.

April: Rufe
May: Nick & A6M3 (game changers)
June: Tojo IIa

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 1835
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 10/10/2017 6:52:48 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

This is such a strange game!

I do seem to recall folks predicting that an early Soviet activation would be a Japan cake-walk due entirely to the superiority of their air force.

Hmm . . .

I said no such thing!

I think this will have an early, sad ending for Japan. I also think the Allies are being unnecessarily aggressive all over the map, which may end up squandering some of the enormous advantage the early Soviet activation should have brought.

In the medium term, Lowpe may be able to fight into a naval stalemate in the Pacific. In such a case, the measurable consequences of the early activation would be greater supply burn due to the massively inflated land war, a tighter perimeter in the Pacific and China, and potentially a loss of industry earlier than otherwise in Japan.

I'm not sure the IJA can hold the Red Army back from strategic bombing positions before the Allies would be in range from the Pacific. Even though Japan has fighter superiority, the capability to bomb out LCUs hardier than the Chinese and early-war SRA garrisons just isn't there in the IJNAF/IJAAF OOB. 4x250kg bombs don't do all that much to Allied devices. Keeping USAAF bombers out of B-24 range could be possible, but once the B-29 groups arrive in 1944... good night, sweet prince.

Post #: 1836
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 10/10/2017 6:54:17 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

The thing that is hard to really measure at this point is the incredible supply burn taking place in Russia. The addition of another massive front probably just puts too much on the Japanese resource plate. Even if Japan has a lot of success elsewhere in 1942 I would think their economy would just have to implode at some point. I think the best Allied strategy is to just "fight hard" anywhere possible. As the Allied player I would be more receptive to risking and losing LCU in the Pacific just to keep Japan busy whereas without the Russian front I would tend to be more conservative.

That depends. A series of medium to major Allied defeats in the Pacific could alleviate Japan's supply expenditures to such an extent elsewhere as to make the Russian conflict much less unaffordable.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 1837
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 10/10/2017 6:55:54 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mahrgell

quote:

Will bombard the base with battleships, cruisers, light cruisers and destroyers from 12 cm range.

Wow. That's brutal.
I wonder how your ships will sneak up that close. (and get back into the water after) But so far you managed to surprise in all your games, so I'm looking forward to it.

You are not a JFB....12cm is the size of the main guns on destroyers.

Technically it's 12.7cm, isn't it?

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 1838
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 10/10/2017 7:27:13 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

Technically it's 12.7cm, isn't it?

Quite right.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 1839
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 10/10/2017 10:21:41 PM   
Lowpe

No turn till tomorrow, the Allies are stuck without phone or internet. Obvert will try from a cafe tomorrow to send the turn.\

I guess that is ok, as the neighbor's house one removed just caught fire, 4 firetrucks, 3 ambulances, helicopter, utilities truck and road closed. I think everyone is out.

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 10/10/2017 10:34:20 PM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 1840
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 10/11/2017 5:11:37 PM   
Lowpe

March 7, 1942

Naval action...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 1841
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 10/11/2017 5:12:18 PM   
Lowpe

More Sakhalin action

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 1842
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 10/11/2017 5:14:15 PM   
Lowpe

Gadzooks!

I don't see how the game can last past 1943 now.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 1843
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 10/11/2017 5:27:26 PM   
PaxMondo

quote:

Gadzooks!

I don't see how the game can last past 1943 now.

The real question is how did they get there. non-SOV forces are, IIRC, not supposed to be able to move from SOV hexes. Or do I have the wrong?

Pax

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 1844
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 10/11/2017 5:30:16 PM   
Lowpe

Paratroopers I am sure.

Level 8 Yankee air base there in a month. Protected by Soviet AA. B17s serviced by Soviet air crews using Soviet supplies. Game over.

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 10/11/2017 5:31:26 PM >

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 1845
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 10/11/2017 5:54:02 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

Paratroopers I am sure.

Level 8 Yankee air base there in a month. Protected by Soviet AA. B17s serviced by Soviet air crews using Soviet supplies. Game over.

You are neglecting to take into account that the pools for those aircraft are incredibly low until the B-24J has been in production for quite some time.

You should play the Allies sometime. Or at the very least, load up a Tracker for a day 1 of your scenario as the Allies and look at arrival dates of units (with full complements of planes) as well as production dates/rates.

4E production/replacement is anemic until late 1943 at earliest (whenever the B-24J arrives at 48 per month). B-17 production halts entirely at some point. Also, 48 B-24s per month is a reasonable number for you to kill/render inoperable.

Also, he has to be able to get engineers in to build that base to level 8 - the Soviets don't have all that many engineers, and IIRC he could base non-Soviet aircraft at those bases in any case so long as they did not have the Soviet country code (I forget the specifics, but if it's based on HQ then it's easy enough to do what he did here). So your priorities should be:

1) Preventing USN Seabees or USA EABs from arriving. This means holding onto the Sakhalins where he could land them (even via SST or lone APDs). As a bonus to this, he wouldn't be able to transfer anything but bombers and P-38s to these bases in Manchuria due to not having the legs on other aircraft.

2) Farm as many aircraft VPs from him as you can, especially if he insists on driving his bombers hard in trying to force your industry down early. If he can't protect the airfield very well with fighters, even Japanese bombers can get them on the ground.

Additionally, 3) I would be trying to smash the early war USN to throw wrenches into the gears of a Pacific drive in order to stave off the time when you will be fighting on 2 aerial defense fronts.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 1846
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 10/11/2017 7:16:14 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

quote:

Paratroopers I am sure.

You are neglecting to take into account that the pools for those aircraft are incredibly low until the B-24J has been in production for quite some time.

You should play the Allies sometime. Or at the very least, load up a Tracker for a day 1 of your scenario as the Allies and look at arrival dates of units (with full complements of planes) as well as production dates/rates.

4E production/replacement is anemic until late 1943 at earliest (whenever the B-24J arrives at 48 per month). B-17 production halts entirely at some point. Also, 48 B-24s per month is a reasonable number for you to kill/render inoperable.

Also, he has to be able to get engineers in to build that base to level 8 - the Soviets don't have all that many engineers, and IIRC he could base non-Soviet aircraft at those bases in any case so long as they did not have the Soviet country code (I forget the specifics, but if it's based on HQ then it's easy enough to do what he did here). So your priorities should be:

1) Preventing USN Seabees or USA EABs from arriving. This means holding onto the Sakhalins where he could land them (even via SST or lone APDs). As a bonus to this, he wouldn't be able to transfer anything but bombers and P-38s to these bases in Manchuria due to not having the legs on other aircraft.

2) Farm as many aircraft VPs from him as you can, especially if he insists on driving his bombers hard in trying to force your industry down early. If he can't protect the airfield very well with fighters, even Japanese bombers can get them on the ground.

Additionally, 3) I would be trying to smash the early war USN to throw wrenches into the gears of a Pacific drive in order to stave off the time when you will be fighting on 2 aerial defense fronts.

I have thought of all that you said, and quite frankly, find no merit in almost any of it. Sorry.

Soviet engineer force is more than adequate to build it to level 8. Soviet AA is more than adequate to inflict horrible losses on the bombers trying to suppress the fields, if somehow I could get past Mig Fighter CAP without suffering horrendous losses.

B17 replacement pool is something like 15 planes a month, plus newly arriving squadrons which I remember comes in a big slug in April of 42, B24 arrive in July at 24 a month plus new squadrons. A nightime bombing campaign within normal distance of the b17 will be devastating. If he flies in at 2k as is your want, losses might be higher, but Honshu would burn badly. Against a gifted Allied player, there would be no chance to research planes ahead in any meaningful way.

The necessity to allocate a huge fighter force, to flying at night, will further dilute Japan's ability to do anything.

The Soviets don't need Allied units other than that original one to flip the base.

What in the world does a two aerial war defense front mean? I am fighting defensively over Magwe, Over Sumatra, Over Borneo, Over China, Over Manchuko, Over Hokkaido, and I fear over Honshu.

there is something like 40 arriving heavy bomber squadrons by 1943 in the range of 3-12 planes each. With the replacement rate, more than enough to mount nasty raids over Honshu industry at night.

btw, I have played the Allies.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 10/11/2017 7:20:47 PM >

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 1847
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 10/11/2017 7:28:57 PM   
Lokasenna

Hold on there, Chicken Little.

quote:

Soviet engineer force is more than adequate to build it to level 9. Soviet AA is more than adequate to inflict horrible losses on the bombers trying to suppress the fields, if somehow I could get past Mig Fighter CAP without suffering horrendous losses.

It has to get there first. It will need to walk over a few slower walking hexes, and at the expense of other Soviet base building (although it's an obvious boon to him to do so, if only because it forces you to react).

You'll get past the Migs someday. He doesn't get that many of them and you will, eventually, have a permanent numbers advantage.

For the AA: bomb from higher up? I don't know. MM doesn't seem to have suffered overmuch from my 1945 Soviet AA.

quote:

B17 replacement pool is something like 15 planes a month, plus newly arriving squadrons which I remember comes in a big slug in April of 42, B24 arrive in July at 24 a month plus new squadrons. A nightime bombing campaign within normal distance of the b17 will be devastating. If he flies in at 2k as is your want, losses might be higher, but Honshu would burn badly. Against a gifted Allied player, there would be no chance to research planes ahead in any meaningful way.

The replacements dry up as it transitions to the B-24 model. A single bad raid and he loses an entire month of B-17 replacements. There is a slight swelling of the ranks during 1942, but it goes away as other areas of the Allied OOB ramp up. Husbanding your bomber strength is a challenge as the Allies.

Many (nearly all) of the early arriving (before 1944) B-24 squadrons only have 2 planes in them - the other 10 (or 14) must be taken from the pools.

quote:

The necessity to allocate a huge fighter force, to flying at night, will further dilute Japan's ability to do anything.

You've got 100% knowledge of your situation and we (I) don't, but this just sounds like moaning to me. Buck up, soldier!

In seriousness, I understand what you're saying, but there are steps you can take to protect most of your "stuff." The most important is simply impacting his ability to fly bombers: the easiest thing here is his pools.

quote:

The Soviets don't need Allied units other than that original one to flip the base.

Sure, but the Soviets can't support imported units with:
- imported supplies (to an extent)
- additional imported air support
- additional imported fighters, in the case of supporting bombers

You can prevent all of those things from happening, rendering the presence of a USA unit right now much less relevant until 1944 at least.

quote:

What in the world does a two aerial war defense front mean? I am fighting defensively over Magwe, Over Sumatra, Over Borneo, Over China, Over Manchuko, Over Hokkaido, and I fear over Honshu.

Sorry, I meant over Japan as one and over everywhere else as two. Most of the places you list (Sumatra, Borneo, and to an extent China) are places that will be removed from needing an active air presence (with the exception of ASW and early warning Nav Search) once you have captured them.

Has this blunder really cost you the ability to capture Sumatra and Borneo at all, whatsoever? It's still very, very early.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 1848
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 10/11/2017 7:31:48 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

The replacements dry up as it transitions to the B-24 model. A single bad raid and he loses an entire month of B-17 replacements. There is a slight swelling of the ranks during 1942, but it goes away as other areas of the Allied OOB ramp up. Husbanding your bomber strength is a challenge as the Allies.

I should mention also that if he really does concentrate all of his heavy bomber eggs at a couple of Manchurian airfields in the hopes that he can crash your industry early, it affords you opportunities elsewhere. If they're all in Manchuria, you don't need to keep a permanent CAP over Singapore or Hong Kong, for example. Even more so if you can chew them up on the ground or in the air.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 1849
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 10/11/2017 9:31:42 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

MM doesn't seem to have suffered overmuch from my 1945 Soviet AA.

I remember the KB's raid of Vlad very differently evidently...

Back to the topic at hand, I'm with Loka on this.

It's a single hex, and it needs built up. That gives you time to prepare.

Diluting your fighter force to night CAP at this point will lose you the game - your fighters need to be over his airbases sweeping away his fighters to make way for the bombers to kill 4E's on the ground.

If your planes can't get through during the day, send them in at night.

Check the ceilings on the Soviet AA, and fly above that. Sure, accuracy will take a big hit, but it's better than needlessly loosing bombers.

Once you've swept the DEI out, there's very few points of contention for the Allies to engage in air combat with you, and most of those require his longest ranged fighters. Burma, Eastern DEI, SWPAC, CENTPAC; all of which are far removed from your industrial centers., and even better, he needs long-range fighters for the DEI and CENTPAC.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 1850
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 10/11/2017 9:56:37 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: mind_messing

quote:

MM doesn't seem to have suffered overmuch from my 1945 Soviet AA.

I remember the KB's raid of Vlad very differently evidently...

Back to the topic at hand, I'm with Loka on this.

It's a single hex, and it needs built up. That gives you time to prepare.

Diluting your fighter force to night CAP at this point will lose you the game - your fighters need to be over his airbases sweeping away his fighters to make way for the bombers to kill 4E's on the ground.

If your planes can't get through during the day, send them in at night.

Check the ceilings on the Soviet AA, and fly above that. Sure, accuracy will take a big hit, but it's better than needlessly loosing bombers.

Once you've swept the DEI out, there's very few points of contention for the Allies to engage in air combat with you, and most of those require his longest ranged fighters. Burma, Eastern DEI, SWPAC, CENTPAC; all of which are far removed from your industrial centers., and even better, he needs long-range fighters for the DEI and CENTPAC.

I was talking about the IJAAF 2E's. The KB planes of course got pounded, but their durability is lower, they fly slower, and the dive bombers fly lower.

(in reply to mind_messing)
Post #: 1851
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 10/12/2017 4:25:50 AM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

Soviet AA is more than adequate to inflict horrible losses on the bombers trying to suppress the fields, if somehow I could get past Mig Fighter CAP without suffering horrendous losses.

What about naval bombardment?

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 1852
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 10/12/2017 7:23:45 AM   
Encircled

Not sure even the Yamatos guns will reach that far inland!

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 1853
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 10/12/2017 7:25:17 AM   
Encircled

Just want to back up what has been said already.

Yes, 4Es are an issue, but you have 18 months till the pools get too big. All it takes is one successful interception with good, cannon armed fighters and he's grounded for a couple of weeks.

(in reply to Encircled)
Post #: 1854
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 10/12/2017 2:34:26 PM   
Yakface

I'm with Lowpe on this. A US available base within heavy bomber range of Japan ends the war because:

1) I think we can agree that Japan will lose, and very quickly, if US do significant damage to Japanese infrastructure this early in the war, as a consequence:

2) Japan will have to defend the home islands from air attack.

3) Japan has a large number of manufacturing sites that will need to be defended both night and day.

4) In order to perform 3) I would estimate Japan will need at least 500 fighters permanently assigned (based on 10 bases with 25 defenders in two phases: night and day).

5) Japan cannot assign 500 fighters away from other theatres and expect to compete with British and US airpower anywhere. US doesn't even nee to use those heavies - they could just sit there and oblige the Japanese to keep half their airforce at home.

6) Even then the Allies will have the whip hand - they can attack or not, send in strong sweeps against strung out defenders, send in concentrated 4E raids against a single base to overwhelm defenders etc etc etc

It's just a no win situation for Japan that is only going to end one way.

Oh and 7) Attempting to keep the base permanently closed vs US and USSR fighters will just have the effect of bleeding the IJ airforce white.

< Message edited by Yakface -- 10/12/2017 2:46:25 PM >

(in reply to Encircled)
Post #: 1855
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 10/12/2017 2:59:38 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yakface

I'm with Lowpe on this. A US available base within heavy bomber range of Japan ends the war because:

1) I think we can agree that Japan will lose, and very quickly, if US do significant damage to Japanese infrastructure this early in the war, as a consequence:

3) Japan has a large number of manufacturing sites that will need to be defended both night and day.

4) In order to perform 3) I would estimate Japan will need at least 500 fighters permanently assigned (based on 10 bases with 25 defenders in two phases: night and day).

5) Japan cannot assign 500 fighters away from other theatres and expect to compete with British and US airpower anywhere. US doesn't even nee to use those heavies - they could just sit there and oblige the Japanese to keep half their airforce at home.

6) Even then the Allies will have the whip hand - they can attack or not, send in strong sweeps against strung out defenders, send in concentrated 4E raids against a single base to overwhelm defenders etc etc etc

Oh and 7) Attempting to keep the base permanently closed vs US and USSR fighters will just have the effect of bleeding the IJ airforce white.

Per 6 - the Allies don't have any sweepers that can reach from there to Japan except for P-38s until the later Corsair models come, along with the P-47N and P-51D. Until then, they're stuck at 10 hexes (P-47D25) or less (P-47D2 is 9). And the Allies don't get very many P-38s until, well - later.

I think your estimate of required fighters is far too high. The USAAF does not have that many bombers yet, and does not get that many more in 1942. They would also be without fighter cover and without sweep support. Protection can also be concentrated on the bases that matter (of which there are, not the 40-point Resource/LI centers. Would losing those hurt Japan? It would sting, but that's it.

I just scrolled back up to the map. That's 11 hexes from Sapporo - barely within normal range of B-25s. But B-25s are far more fragile than B-17s and B-24s, and the pools are not all that deep until, again, later.

But it doesn't matter how many he gets later if Lowpe can prevent the base from being within USAAF fighter transfer range and then maintain air superiority (the latter of which he should be able to accomplish). With only Soviet fighters to provide cover, they'd rapidly run out of said fighters. At that point, the bombers are at Lowpe's mercy. If Obvert launches a bunch of raids, they'll be damaged and then on the ground without adequate fighter cover, where they can then be destroyed.

I'm not suggesting this isn't something that needs to be dealt with, but it IS something that can be dealt with without too much difficulty from the current situation.

(in reply to Yakface)
Post #: 1856
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 10/12/2017 3:11:48 PM   
crsutton

quote:

quote:

quote:

Paratroopers I am sure.

I have thought of all that you said, and quite frankly, find no merit in almost any of it. Sorry.

Soviet engineer force is more than adequate to build it to level 8. Soviet AA is more than adequate to inflict horrible losses on the bombers trying to suppress the fields, if somehow I could get past Mig Fighter CAP without suffering horrendous losses.

there is something like 40 arriving heavy bomber squadrons by 1943 in the range of 3-12 planes each. With the replacement rate, more than enough to mount nasty raids over Honshu industry at night.

btw, I have played the Allies.

Well, for the Allies it is not easy to maintain many HB units. In mid 43, I would say fully 1/3 of my HB units were flying obsolete aircraft or had no aircraft to fly. Still, if the Allied player is careful and awaits the opportunity, he can still put 100 bombers over a target. Problem is, medium bomber replacements are also anemic so the temptation is to use the HB everywhere-with some justification. If this game has the upgraded Japanese fighter stats that you find in DaBabes, then the Jack and George can arrive fairly early and are both 400 mph fighters. It is hard for the Allies to keep bombers in the air. My bomber losses are running about 25% higher over my last stock campaign.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 1857
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 10/12/2017 3:57:15 PM   
Yakface

quote:

quote:

Per 6 - the Allies don't have any sweepers that can reach from there to Japan except for P-38s until the later Corsair models come, along with the P-47N and P-51D. Until then, they're stuck at 10 hexes (P-47D25) or less (P-47D2 is 9). And the Allies don't get very many P-38s until, well - later.

I think your estimate of required fighters is far too high. The USAAF does not have that many bombers yet, and does not get that many more in 1942. They would also be without fighter cover and without sweep support. Protection can also be concentrated on the bases that matter (of which there are, not the 40-point Resource/LI centers. Would losing those hurt Japan? It would sting, but that's it.

I just scrolled back up to the map. That's 11 hexes from Sapporo - barely within normal range of B-25s. But B-25s are far more fragile than B-17s and B-24s, and the pools are not all that deep until, again, later.

But it doesn't matter how many he gets later if Lowpe can prevent the base from being within USAAF fighter transfer range and then maintain air superiority (the latter of which he should be able to accomplish). With only Soviet fighters to provide cover, they'd rapidly run out of said fighters. At that point, the bombers are at Lowpe's mercy. If Obvert launches a bunch of raids, they'll be damaged and then on the ground without adequate fighter cover, where they can then be destroyed.

I'm not suggesting this isn't something that needs to be dealt with, but it IS something that can be dealt with without too much difficulty from the current situation.

Whilst most of what you say is true at this instant, it does not address the original point of Lowpe's post which was that the game would not go beyond 1943. It's March 42 at the moment. There is no realistic way that he can defend the home islands for the next 21 months.

One point that I would take issue with is keeping the Manchurian base out of US fighter range. How are you going to do that when the P38E has a transfer range of 50 hexes (IIRC) once it gets it's mid 42 drop tanks. That's nearly to India. Transfer a group change plane type, rinse repeat with the next. If nothing else would require an HR. So long as Obvert covers the base in the short term with Mig's, which outclass anything Japan has for months, then the US can take the strain in the longer term.

< Message edited by Yakface -- 10/12/2017 4:01:04 PM >

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 1858
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 10/12/2017 4:55:15 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

Whilst most of what you say is true at this instant, it does not address the original point of Lowpe's post which was that the game would not go beyond 1943. It's March 42 at the moment. There is no realistic way that he can defend the home islands for the next 21 months.

One point that I would take issue with is keeping the Manchurian base out of US fighter range. How are you going to do that when the P38E has a transfer range of 50 hexes (IIRC) once it gets it's mid 42 drop tanks. That's nearly to India. Transfer a group change plane type, rinse repeat with the next. If nothing else would require an HR. So long as Obvert covers the base in the short term with Mig's, which outclass anything Japan has for months, then the US can take the strain in the longer term.

But how many P-38E's do the Allies get? How many P-40E's? How many Wildcats and Buffalos and Hurricanes (something has to do the lifting that the USAAF would be leaving behind)?

I had not thought of changing the plane type once there, but again... the Allies do not have any sort of competitive plane in any kind of abundance until the middle of 1943 (the Hellcat, really) unless this scenario has buffed the replacement rates.

(in reply to Yakface)
Post #: 1859
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 10/12/2017 5:26:06 PM   
Lowpe

Allies don't need to sweep, a night bombing campaign will do it. They need only a few Mig squadrons to protect the base until all the AA arrives. No amount of Japanese night bombing will accomplish anything then. It is a solid 2 months before the first Nicks arrive, followed shortly by A6M3 and the following month by the Tojo.

Every non Soviet base the Soviets have taken has gone to US control asap. Hailar will be next. Only 28 hexes from there to Lanchow. Current Yankee base is only 31 hexes to Sian.

I will fight it, but I fully expect to lose best case 30% of my industry before 1942 is over. Probably some key plane research too. Not a single port will be safe from a night naval strike although some will be at extended range. Perhaps vehicles, engines...Probably in the neighborhood of 20K victory points lost by the end of 1942.

The only hope would be the Allies not prosecuting a night bombing campaign effectively. Do you believe that level of ineptness of Obvert? That he wouldn't stuff that base full of Soviet engineers and AA and Migs? Currently most of the British bomber force is at Lanchow and north. They will be doing night bombing shortly I bet, just waiting on getting AA there (which it already might be) and a level or two added to the runway.

Will two US bases connected by rail, be able to use the trains back and forth even thru Soviet territory?

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 1860
Page:   <<   < prev  60 61 [62] 63 64   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Soviets Activated.... Page: <<   < prev  60 61 [62] 63 64   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI