Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Miscellaneous bugs and non-working things

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Tech Support >> Miscellaneous bugs and non-working things Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Miscellaneous bugs and non-working things - 3/11/2014 10:56:02 PM   
BTAxis

In my recent games of Shadows (1.9.0.13) I've come across a bunch of stuff that doesn't work or behaves strangely. I'm not a regular to these forums so maybe I'm reiterating known issues. If so, apologies. Here we go:

Devastator Pulse: I got access to the Devastator Pulse from an event, so I designed a defense base that uses it. Later on one such a base was attacked by a group of pirates. The DP did fire, but it only ever damaged (well, instakilled) one ship at a time, despite being an area of effect weapon. The DP also didn't seem to draw any energy when it fired. I'm not sure if this is a problem with area of effect weapons in general, or just the DP.

Tax rate changes: The tax rate, when managed by the AI or via the context menu seems to be hard capped at 50%. If the tax rate is above 50% and one tries to change the tax rate up or down via the context menu, it will be set to 50%. A small thing, I know, I bet nobody uses that menu anyway, but still. There's no reason why 50% should be the maximum; I've seen inhabitants on colonies with very high development levels who were quite content to pay 100% tax.

Gravity Well Generator: This thing just plain doesn't do what it says on the tin. It claims to "pull ships out of hyperspace", but it only does so if the ships in question are trying to attack the ship of base that contains the GWG. In all other cases, the GWG effectively does nothing. It also doesn't stop ships from hypering away, so it's actually LESS useful than a normal HyperDeny component.

Troop automation settings: The "never build troops until colony population reaches" box is capped at 10B. This seems odd, as colonies can easily grow larger than 10B. I'd like to set this to something prohibitively high so the only troops auto-built are the minimum number set by the second option.

Queue station button: At times, the queue buttons for building mining (etc) stations are greyed out with the tooltip "NOT ENOUGH MONEY". I invariably have more than enough money. Unfortunately I haven't been able to determine what conditions cause this behavior, but there's something wonky with that logic.

Static energy for labs: Labs draw static energy, but they always work, even if that energy is not provided. A research base that provides no energy to its labs will work just as well as one that does. The same goes for recreation and medical centers. A base that contains only these two components with all the rest unbuilt will provide the happiness bonuses as normal. Apparently, scientists don't mind researching in the cold and dark, and doctors are okay with operating in a hard vacuum.

Below some AI related observations:

Some ship types always auto-refuel: This is true for exploration ships and troop transports. Even if the ship is under manual control, it will cancel its orders and go get fuel if the nearest refueling point is out of its action radius. This is not cool. Manual control means manual control. When I give manual orders to a ship, the ship should *NEVER* override those orders with something I didn't ask for. If I want it to think for itself I'll automate it, otherwise it should do what I say.

Freighters transport tiny amounts of fuel: In one game on a clusters map I noticed that my new colony, which was in a distant cluster, was constantly out of fuel. The reason for this is that the freighters trying to supply it with fuel only brought it in quantities of 200 or so (out of a 10K+ capacity), which usually was not enough to cover the fuel cost of the freighter bringing the fuel in the first place. I think it's because freighters try to satisfy urgent demands as quickly as they can, but especially in the case of caslon and hydrogen, quantity matters more than speed of delivery. Also, medium and large freighters should probably not try to satisfy urgent demands at all, but rather focus on shifting goods from producers to space ports and in bulk between colonies (respectively).

Intelligence agents: When I had my agents automated, I noticed two out of three agents were constantly going off on missions, even though I had set the proportion of agents dedicated to counterintelligence to 60%. Rounding issue?

Whew! I think that's about it. Bit of a list, but fortunately most of it is minor. The important ones for me are the GWG and auto-refuel issues though, I hope these can be addressed in future updates.

< Message edited by BTAxis -- 3/11/2014 11:57:09 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Miscellaneous bugs and non-working things - 3/12/2014 5:50:44 AM   
CyclopsSlayer

I cannot but help agree with most or all of those.

I cannot comment on the Devastator Pulse, as I refuse to use Area weapons as they are as lethal to friend as foe.

quote:

ORIGINAL: BTAxis
Below some AI related observations:

Some ship types always auto-refuel: This is true for exploration ships and troop transports. Even if the ship is under manual control, it will cancel its orders and go get fuel if the nearest refueling point is out of its action radius. This is not cool. Manual control means manual control. When I give manual orders to a ship, the ship should *NEVER* override those orders with something I didn't ask for. If I want it to think for itself I'll automate it, otherwise it should do what I say.

This... THIS.... ARRRGGGHHH!!!! So damn annoying.
The game will dispatch a Fleet to attack some base, and leave the ship crews to walk home from their totally out of fuel ships. Yet that "Manually" controlled Transport will stop just shy of its target and turn around and walk home STL when it could have easily reached its target.

(in reply to BTAxis)
Post #: 2
RE: Miscellaneous bugs and non-working things - 3/12/2014 6:46:02 AM   
Darkspire

quote:

This... THIS.... ARRRGGGHHH!!!! So damn annoying.
The game will dispatch a Fleet to attack some base, and leave the ship crews to walk home from their totally out of fuel ships. Yet that "Manually" controlled Transport will stop just shy of its target and turn around and walk home STL when it could have easily reached its target.

You could always change the threshold for refuel in the options, set it to 90 and it does not cause a problem.

Area effect weapons were nerfed moons ago due to folks not understanding how to use them which kind of ruined a very useful weapon set.

Darkspire

(in reply to CyclopsSlayer)
Post #: 3
RE: Miscellaneous bugs and non-working things - 3/12/2014 10:13:18 AM   
BTAxis

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darkspire
You could always change the threshold for refuel in the options, set it to 90 and it does not cause a problem.

I don't see how this solves anything? That setting governs fleets. The problem is that individual ships are trying to refuel when under manual control.

(in reply to Darkspire)
Post #: 4
RE: Miscellaneous bugs and non-working things - 3/12/2014 10:30:12 AM   
Darkspire

quote:

quote:

I don't see how this solves anything? That setting governs fleets. The problem is that individual ships are trying to refuel when under manual control.

The only individual ship I use under manual is the refuel ship and that does exactly what I want it to do, even when the fuel is low on it (it should use its own fuel IMO) it always stays put until I tell it to do otherwise, it never used to until I changed those settings. I never see the point of micro on individual ships, the explorers / scouts do a good enough job on there own, the only other ship was a tank I used to make that was an AOE ship that I used to send into enemy systems, with the AOE being nerfed they are pretty much useless now so I don't bother.

Sorry I could not help any further.

Darkspire

(in reply to BTAxis)
Post #: 5
RE: Miscellaneous bugs and non-working things - 3/12/2014 11:00:34 AM   
BTAxis

Interesting, I've not had any issues with resupply ships myself. Could be I just didn't run into it.

(in reply to Darkspire)
Post #: 6
RE: Miscellaneous bugs and non-working things - 3/13/2014 5:51:30 PM   
CyclopsSlayer

For those early Independent races I send in a singlr Trooper with 3 Inf and 1 Armor and that takes almost every world first try.

Spot an Independent, send the Troops to a world well inside the range ring. If they conquer the world there is always enough fuel there to resupply the Troop Ship. Then the damned "Manual" controlled, single ship, stops just shy and returns to refuel, even if half the flight back is Out of Fuel.

(in reply to BTAxis)
Post #: 7
RE: Miscellaneous bugs and non-working things - 10/13/2017 7:56:19 PM   
eu33

Edit: wrong post ! Sorry !

< Message edited by eu33 -- 10/13/2017 7:57:15 PM >

(in reply to CyclopsSlayer)
Post #: 8
RE: Miscellaneous bugs and non-working things - 10/16/2017 10:23:45 PM   
Blabsawaw22

quote:

quote:

with the AOE being nerfed they are pretty much useless now so I don't bother.

Darkspire

AOE weapons aren't really that nerfed, I tried a fleet of 20-40 ships with 2 AOE weapons on each ship and they ripped through the ships when they first warped in, but yes, then they were worthless as they don't fire anymore when friendlies are around. I guess that's what you mean.

(in reply to Darkspire)
Post #: 9
RE: Miscellaneous bugs and non-working things - 10/17/2017 2:55:53 AM   
Hattori Hanzo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blabsawaw22
with the AOE being nerfed they are pretty much useless now so I don't bother.

Darkspire

AOE weapons aren't really that nerfed, I tried a fleet of 20-40 ships with 2 AOE weapons on each ship and they ripped through the ships when they first warped in, but yes, then they were worthless as they don't fire anymore when friendlies are around. I guess that's what you mean.

hello BlabSawaw22, what do you mean exactly with AOE weapons ?

ps: WHY THE HELL all people here (and in the rest of the web too..) always use that damned "acronyms".. ?????

I really hate them..

< Message edited by Hattori Hanzo -- 10/17/2017 3:04:38 AM >

(in reply to Blabsawaw22)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Tech Support >> Miscellaneous bugs and non-working things Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI