Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

AI milestone

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> AI milestone Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
AI milestone - 10/19/2017 7:16:27 AM   
geoffreyg

A self-taught computer has become the world’s best player of Go, the fiendishly complex board game, without any input from human experts. DeepMind, Google’s artificial intelligence subsidiary in London, announced the milestone in AI less than two years after the highly publicised unveiling of AlphaGo, the first machine to beat human champions at the ancient Asian game. Details are published in the scientific journal Nature.
“It learns to play simply by playing games against itself, starting from completely random play,” said Demis Hassabis, DeepMind chief executive. “In doing so, it quickly surpassed human level of play and defeated the previously published version of AlphaGo by 100 games to zero.”

This is a major milestone in AI in my view - I understand it became the best player in the history of the game within some 70 hours!
Post #: 1
RE: AI milestone - 10/19/2017 8:04:00 AM   
belfry

Lets hope they don't let Mr Grigsby borrow it.......

(in reply to geoffreyg)
Post #: 2
RE: AI milestone - 10/19/2017 8:17:32 AM   
Rafid

With the amount of time a turn conclusion takes I wouldn't expect it to learn very quickly.

Also AIs are a lot better at perfect information games than at partially hidden games. WITPAE with its partial and flawed (aka fog of war) information is perhaps even worse.

(in reply to belfry)
Post #: 3
RE: AI milestone - 10/19/2017 9:08:39 AM   
GetAssista

quote:

ORIGINAL: geoffreyg
This is a major milestone in AI in my view - I understand it became the best player in the history of the game within some 70 hours!

https://deepmind.com/blog/alphago-zero-learning-scratch/
It's about 20 days of training

Go is a game with simple rules, simple turns and, as Rafid noted, perfect information. So it is far easier to train the AI. AFAIR in most those kinds of games AI already surpassed humans, and we would see further progress of AI players there.

But practical applications are limited. You don't have a lot of real world scenarios that you can replay indefinitely with no outside interference

(in reply to geoffreyg)
Post #: 4
RE: AI milestone - 10/19/2017 12:13:20 PM   
Yaab

Let it play Ichi-Go now and we will see if this AI is any good.

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 5
RE: AI milestone - 10/19/2017 12:33:21 PM   
geoffreyg

Many thanks for the correction - in three days it "surpassed the abilities" of an earlier version that beat world champion Lee Sedol 4 out of 5 games.
I take the point of Go having full information but it will be interesting to see what progress AI makes in evaluating possibilities where it lacks this.

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 6
RE: AI milestone - 10/19/2017 6:24:59 PM   
Rusty1961

I've always advocated a "learning" AI for these complex war games we all enjoy. It can be done, but no one wants to bother to do it.

(in reply to geoffreyg)
Post #: 7
RE: AI milestone - 10/19/2017 9:34:54 PM   
BBfanboy

Regardless of the FOW in this game, the machine AI could learn to calculate probabilities and become statistically more likely to win a game.
Fine- let computers use their vast memories and lightning calculations to do things that require cold calculation.
Just don't hook them up to real-world weapons with no human control.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Rusty1961)
Post #: 8
RE: AI milestone - 10/19/2017 11:34:05 PM   
Numdydar

What!! Don't you want an AI to ask you 'Shall we play a game?"

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 9
RE: AI milestone - 10/19/2017 11:34:33 PM   
Rusty1961

Actually, BB...the game would be getting better because the players would be getting better. If we played an AI game as I advocate we'd be playing the BEST of our club members.

No one would hold a gun to your head saying you HAD to play AI, but the AI would actually present an challenge.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 10
RE: AI milestone - 10/23/2017 10:14:00 PM   
sstevens06

While I agree with you in principal, I think implementing a learning AI in WitPAE would present a seriously non-trivial programming problem. I recall a thread on here recently where the level of effort to re-architect this game was discussed, to include a state-of-the-art AI. Seem to remember the consensus was an investment of high 6-figures to low 7-figures would be required to accomplish the task.

If I manage to win the Powerball I would write the check.

(in reply to Rusty1961)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> AI milestone Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI