Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Distant Worlds Universe on the 4X Gaming Podcast

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Distant Worlds Universe on the 4X Gaming Podcast Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Distant Worlds Universe on the 4X Gaming Podcast - 10/18/2017 12:50:08 AM   
Cauldyth

quote:

All the best,
Tortuga

Off topic - loved the Dom4 Multiplayer FFA. Congrats on the win.

(in reply to tortugapower)
Post #: 31
RE: Distant Worlds Universe on the 4X Gaming Podcast - 10/19/2017 12:14:42 PM   
Erik Rutins

Hi tortugapower,

quote:

ORIGINAL: tortugapower
Distant Worlds is an extremely polarizing topic for 4X gamers. Why is this?

Interesting - it was never particularly polarizing here on our forums, but it's interesting to hear that it is elsewhere. I suppose some of this is just folks defending their favorite game, whichever that may be, but I think the differences in gameplay, production values and the bounce-off effect probably do have a lot to do with that.

quote:

The Interface
When people then dislike DW and are compelled to have a strong reaction against it, the reason why the interface is so maligned (to an unfair degree, I agree) is that it's an easy target. "I don't like this game, let me look for reasons why!" ... "Oh, well, what the hell am I even looking at! This interface is garbage!" I'm going to ask Kirkus to come in and explain his viewpoint about the interface in more detail. I know that he has some experience with designing GUIs, and that might also explain his brutal stance against it.

Thanks, as noted above, the more specific feedback we get the better.

quote:

My own gripes with interface: Ctrl+right_click and then select from a menu is rough for ship actions. I think it would be better if the standard right-click for a sensible default (move/attack) -- more or less implemented, feedback to the user on order submitted could be better -- and then a hotkey for other options (e.g. press "b" with a ship selected and click on a planet brings up a quick "build what?" menu, just like the current Ctrl-click options). I do remember that ctrl-right_click ends up hurting the finger which must press Ctrl constantly haha. More generally, people will want to see an updated interface that "looks smoother". I don't know what that means, as I play and enjoy Aurora 4X so I'm completely fine with this one, but... maybe Kirkus can tell you.

Agreed on Ctrl+Right Click and more hotkeys.

quote:

The Economy
I have almost no complaints about this. I don't think it's reasonable to have the level of abstraction so small that individual traders have wealth. The one thing I've seen mentioned that holds water is that blockading someone's resource increases the price of that good throughout the whole galaxy, based on supply/demand. I don't know the exact mechanics, but that's a fair point.

Agree that the galactic price system was a weak point.

quote:

I personally don't mind the lack of dev diaries, as I see it as a choice to dedicate that time on game development itself instead. Conversely, one great reason to do dev diaries is for the introspection it requires. I've found this in my own work, and I'm sure it comes as no surprise that taking some time to formulate your design decisions on a topic into words forces you to reflect heavily on it. Even doing a dev diary and then never publishing it would be a helpful exercise. But, "at what cost?" Time is finite, sadly. Maybe you could ask the devs from a game that did dev diaries whether they are worth the time?

Yes, in the past it's been largely a choice between what to spend time on, but there are also a few other reasons. I expect for DW2 we will do a few though in the lead up to release to help explain our choices. We've certainly had plenty of internal discussions that amount to the equivalent for ourselves.

quote:

Thanks for taking the time to listen to the podcast.

Thanks for taking the time to do it and also for the reply.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to tortugapower)
Post #: 32
RE: Distant Worlds Universe on the 4X Gaming Podcast - 10/19/2017 4:56:49 PM   
skigrinder

The economy is the most mysterious and unintuitive aspect of the game for me.
I've always thought it would be nice to have a transaction log showing how & where all the money comes & goes.
The log would have a date stamp, location of transaction, amount (state or private), and a brief description.
The ability to see more detailed economic cause & effect in the early game would eliminate a lot of frustration (especially for first-time players).
Obviously, the log would become less 'readable' as the empire's development level grows and an option to turn transaction logging off would be prudent.
Thanks,
skigrinder

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 33
RE: Distant Worlds Universe on the 4X Gaming Podcast - 10/20/2017 5:58:32 PM   
Japhet

I would say that research is actually the most mysterious and unintuitive aspect of the game. At least how research output is calculated. I remember a dozen threads about this subject back when the forum was more active.

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: tortugapower
Distant Worlds is an extremely polarizing topic for 4X gamers. Why is this?

Interesting - it was never particularly polarizing here on our forums, but it's interesting to hear that it is elsewhere. I suppose some of this is just folks defending their favorite game, whichever that may be, but I think the differences in gameplay, production values and the bounce-off effect probably do have a lot to do with that.

Yeah, I have never got this impression either. This Kirkus guy is probably the first one I have ever heard disliking or down right hating DW.

(in reply to skigrinder)
Post #: 34
RE: Distant Worlds Universe on the 4X Gaming Podcast - 10/20/2017 9:58:40 PM   
Bingeling

Research is not mysterious, it is just a bit confusing and counter intuitive. If you look at those old threads, you can see how it is calculated.
The economy on the other hand, is very hidden. What are the effects of free trade agreements? How much do you actually gain from the trade with empire X? It is even hard to see who pays for a mining station (state or civilians).

If you extend it to the economy including resources, how to you figure out why you got a shortage at one station, while having no overall shortage? How do you notice the effects of blockades, if there are any effects? What are the trends of my "low store" resources, are the numbers increasing/steady/declining? How do I know what resources are actually trade with other empires?

As for judging the economic situation, how much bonus income has I gotten for the last few years? Without knowing that, it is hard to know how much I can spend.

Some of these are possible to find out if you pay a lot of attention (resource trends, bonus income). But how to figure out free trade?

Not that any of these have ever prevented me from having fun with this game, but the game does not give a whole lot of information on the economic side.

(in reply to Japhet)
Post #: 35
RE: Distant Worlds Universe on the 4X Gaming Podcast - 10/22/2017 1:22:13 AM   
Lucian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Japhet

I would say that research is actually the most mysterious and unintuitive aspect of the game. At least how research output is calculated. I remember a dozen threads about this subject back when the forum was more active.

Yeah I have to agree, it took me ages of reading and re-reading forum posts to understand exactly how research and research potential worked.

It could definitely have been presented in a much more intuitive and easy to follow way.

(in reply to Japhet)
Post #: 36
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Distant Worlds Universe on the 4X Gaming Podcast Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI