Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

A quick C&C question.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> A quick C&C question. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A quick C&C question. - 5/18/2003 11:59:41 PM   
Tequila

I've been playing around with C&C this weekend and was wondering about a few things when selecting your troops.
I've rarely picked companies in the past, mostly go with platoons and sections when choosing my OOB.

However with C&C it appears to have as many company leaders as possible to maximize your order bank. So when choosing troops do you tend to buy a company and then delete a bunch of formations? I never thought about troop selection like this in the past. For instance, instead of buying one company or 3 platoons you buy a company, trim it down to one platoon and repeat the process two more times. This way you get three company commanders each with one platoon under their control. Is that how you guys do it or is there a downside to this method?

Post #: 1
- 5/19/2003 11:21:06 AM   
Capt. Pixel

I don't think there is a 'downside' to your method. But I don't really see an 'upside' to it either.

I tend to buy in companies only if there is an experience bonus in purchasing a larger formation. In that case, I tend to keep the company intact as purchased. Otherwise, I'd rather have full platoons that aren't dedicated to a company commander. Mostly just to simplify the order structure.

When plotting artillery (a major expense in command points) I let platoon leaders or scout leaders call in continuing plots and use the FOs to call new plots and adjust any existing plots. Adjustment doesn't take order points, and the FOs are just so much better at it than other units. ;)

Having an HQ tent also adds a few command points for arty plotting and helps the rally ability of all your units on the board.

I like to leave the order points on A0 alone and only use them for bailing out some poor schlump who's gotten into C&C trouble.

With these tricks, I usually find I have sufficient order points to keep things moving smoothly. :cool:

"Always mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy, if possible. "
- Stonewall Jackson

(in reply to Tequila)
Post #: 2
- 5/19/2003 2:00:51 PM   
Resisti

If you don't care about historical side of the thing, just buy as many recon units as possible: they are C&C-exempt :D

Federico "Resisti" Doveri

(in reply to Tequila)
Post #: 3
- 5/20/2003 1:46:00 PM   
Irinami

Tequila, I don't play C&C... however, you will probably find that if you play against other players, they will call this technique "gamey." Mess with formations at your own risk; I would suggest developing some sort of "in-character" policy toward it. Why would the commander do that? Remember, you don't have "points" IRL.

Newbies!!
Wild Bill's Tanks at Munda Mini-Campaign. The training campaign for comb

(in reply to Tequila)
Post #: 4
C&C - 5/21/2003 8:21:06 AM   
Raskolnikov

The point of using C&C is to add an extra element of realism. At times it can be absurd and crippling, but I also find it helps bring clarity to my thought. C&C makes you consider exactly what purpose each of your units has and thus forces a degree of tactical coherence upon you, something which is also valuable for non-C&C games.

As for the realism: IMO, there isn't much point countering having made things more realistic (by turning C&C On) with abuse of the Co/Plt structure.

Rask.

veni, vidi, nates calce concidi

(in reply to Tequila)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> A quick C&C question. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI