Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: JFB in charge of the USN???

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: JFB in charge of the USN??? Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: JFB in charge of the USN??? - 10/31/2017 1:21:40 PM   
Kitakami

The airframe loss situation definitely favours the Allies at this point. I need a few months before Allied airframe production increases to a level where I am comfortable, but not losing stuff is almost as good as getting new stuff. Losing that many naval bombers (and pilots) in one turn must hurt.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Kitakami -- 10/31/2017 1:22:19 PM >

Tenno Heika Banzai!

(in reply to Kitakami)
Post #: 121
RE: JFB in charge of the USN??? - 10/31/2017 1:22:57 PM   
Kitakami

And here is the accumulated airframe loss table.

Attachment (1)

Tenno Heika Banzai!

(in reply to Kitakami)
Post #: 122
RE: JFB in charge of the USN??? - 10/31/2017 1:24:21 PM   
Kitakami

Finally, the VP situation. This one worries me not.

Attachment (1)

Tenno Heika Banzai!

(in reply to Kitakami)
Post #: 123
RE: JFB in charge of the USN??? - 10/31/2017 1:25:22 PM   
Kitakami

Once again, any and all comments are welcome. I will read them all, and am certain that will learn something from each and every one.

Tenno Heika Banzai!

(in reply to Kitakami)
Post #: 124
RE: JFB in charge of the USN??? - 10/31/2017 1:35:43 PM   
ny59giants

quote:

On the land side of things, 17th Indian Div is now formed up, and marching from Rangoon towards Pegu, to join the 1st Burma Div and the 46th Indian Bde. Additional forces will pour in as available and allowed by enemy air. 18th Brit Div will begin downloading in Sumatra this turn. Will have to move 1-2 fighter units to cover them with LRCAP, but at least they are there. If allowed to reach Palembang before the enemy attacks it, it will be an interesting situation. Medan's defenders are in place, and only two commando units are still on their way to Palembang, where forts are at 1.33.

Burma - It is a tough balancing act here to have enough to defend, but not too much. Gen Patton, Brian, had repeatedly placed significant forces in Irrawaddy River area around Magwe. We had multiple restarts, so our current game had me go around and invade at Diamond Harbour. All those force in Burma were destroyed. Not to say, "don't defend here." But in back of you mind, I would be thinking of how to counter possible invasion of India. You will have the two Aussie divisions with many Indian divisions that come in with poor experience (20s to 30s) and TO&E that needs time to fill out with '42 squads.

18th Brit Div - By landing in Sumatra you are saying that this division will die there. Yes, it will make the Empire expend significant effort to capture Palembang, but you don't get enough Brit infantry to rebuilt it. Unload supplies to keep Palembang well supplied and allow you to build forts.

O19 & O20 - These two Dutch subs are minelayers. I would place in same TF and lay mines just to NE of Palembang.

(in reply to Kitakami)
Post #: 125
RE: JFB in charge of the USN??? - 10/31/2017 1:46:43 PM   
Kitakami

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants
Burma - It is a tough balancing act here to have enough to defend, but not too much. Gen Patton, Brian, had repeatedly placed significant forces in Irrawaddy River area around Magwe. We had multiple restarts, so our current game had me go around and invade at Diamond Harbour. All those force in Burma were destroyed. Not to say, "don't defend here." But in back of you mind, I would be thinking of how to counter possible invasion of India. You will have the two Aussie divisions with many Indian divisions that come in with poor experience (20s to 30s) and TO&E that needs time to fill out with '42 squads.

I am going to ship two USA Inf Divs to India (at least). They will form the backbone of the defense there, should it be needed. One of them is conveniently broken down into regiments, so it will be the first one to go. The other one I may need to break down into combat commands to do the same.

quote:

18th Brit Div - By landing in Sumatra you are saying that this division will die there. Yes, it will make the Empire expend significant effort to capture Palembang, but you don't get enough Brit infantry to rebuilt it. Unload supplies to keep Palembang well supplied and allow you to build forts.

Yes, it will. But it will give me time, time that the Japanese do not really have. If my opponent gets nervous, he is bound to make mistakes. If he overreacts and sends troops to Sumatra that he had prepped for taking something else, he loses time. I need to attack his weaknesses. If I can make him bleed in the air, and deny him that oil for a few months, it should put him in a difficult position.

On the other hand, I had not thought about the supply situation, thanks a ton! Will start sending supplies ASAP.

quote:

O19 & O20 - These two Dutch subs are minelayers. I would place in same TF and lay mines just to NE of Palembang.

Will do. Many thanks!

Tenno Heika Banzai!

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 126
RE: JFB in charge of the USN??? - 10/31/2017 2:49:55 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kitakami

Yes, it will. But it will give me time, time that the Japanese do not really have. If my opponent gets nervous, he is bound to make mistakes. If he overreacts and sends troops to Sumatra that he had prepped for taking something else, he loses time. I need to attack his weaknesses. If I can make him bleed in the air, and deny him that oil for a few months, it should put him in a difficult position.

Prep only matters after the Amphib bonus ends on March 31. The most interesting part of investing sumatra is the panic as you say, but also the time it takes away from other goals. A division will be hard to kick out. Some AA would help bleed the 2E he'll need to close the fields and hit your troops.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Kitakami)
Post #: 127
RE: JFB in charge of the USN??? - 10/31/2017 2:53:21 PM   
Kitakami

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert
Prep only matters after the Amphib bonus ends on March 31. The most interesting part of investing sumatra is the panic as you say, but also the time it takes away from other goals. A division will be hard to kick out. Some AA would help bleed the 2E he'll need to close the fields and hit your troops.

Now, there is an idea... an AAA unit, even if light, should help. Hmm... which one...

Thanks a TON!

Tenno Heika Banzai!

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 128
RE: JFB in charge of the USN??? - 11/2/2017 6:03:31 PM   
Kitakami

December 27th

A somewhat quiet day, most probably the clam before the storm. There were no naval losses on either side last turn, but I am afraid that my esteemed opponent is getting ready to unleash a few important attacks I'd rather not see.

Last turn I lost Camiguin, Catbalogan, Taiping, Namatanai, Boela, Beaufort, and Cabanatuan. Nothing unexpected, but Ambon and Johore Bahu are next.

First, the numbers. Pilot losses are on the rise. Sadly, most were fighter pilots in the Philippines. AT least the nine Allied aces are still alive and kicking.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Kitakami -- 11/2/2017 6:04:19 PM >

Tenno Heika Banzai!

(in reply to Kitakami)
Post #: 129
RE: JFB in charge of the USN??? - 11/2/2017 6:05:25 PM   
Kitakami

Air losses were in the Allied favor, but the loss of fighters is never good.

Attachment (1)

Tenno Heika Banzai!

(in reply to Kitakami)
Post #: 130
RE: JFB in charge of the USN??? - 11/2/2017 6:06:35 PM   
Kitakami

Accumulated losses are still in the Allies favour, although this will change as soon as real attacks against Sumatra and Java start.

Attachment (1)

Tenno Heika Banzai!

(in reply to Kitakami)
Post #: 131
RE: JFB in charge of the USN??? - 11/2/2017 6:07:34 PM   
Kitakami

And victory points are lost, once again.

Attachment (1)

Tenno Heika Banzai!

(in reply to Kitakami)
Post #: 132
RE: JFB in charge of the USN??? - 11/2/2017 6:11:33 PM   
Kitakami

There are three areas that worry me at this point. The first one is Soerbaja and surroundings. A CarDiv of KB ended the turn 11 hexes ESE of Soerbaja. I had just refueled surface combatants there, and they have had to leave post haste. If it had been the CVLs and/or the CVEs I would have risked it, but against 77 fighters and 75 bombers... no dice. Fuel and oil flow towards Australia has been interrupted, for the time being, at least.

Attachment (1)

Tenno Heika Banzai!

(in reply to Kitakami)
Post #: 133
RE: JFB in charge of the USN??? - 11/2/2017 6:16:31 PM   
Kitakami

Second area that worries me is Sumatra, specifically Palembang. My esteemed opponent has over 19k troops assembled in Singkawang, and there is no juiciest target for them than Palembang. The place's defences are not setup yet... I onlu have 110 AV there, with only the small Dutch AAA unit and the 2nd HK&S Hvy AAA from Malaya as air defense. That, plus two squadrons of Buffaloes, that is. The rest is still on its way. I have not detected enemy carriers in the immediate vicinity.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Kitakami -- 11/2/2017 6:20:04 PM >

Tenno Heika Banzai!

(in reply to Kitakami)
Post #: 134
RE: JFB in charge of the USN??? - 11/2/2017 6:19:12 PM   
Kitakami

The third and final area of immediate concern is the waters around Suva. Unless I am mistaken, the enemy CVEs are prowling those waters... as an advance force for something bigger, no doubt. Right at this point I find myself unable to face them, so all I can do is wait and see what develops.

Attachment (1)

Tenno Heika Banzai!

(in reply to Kitakami)
Post #: 135
RE: JFB in charge of the USN??? - 11/2/2017 6:24:41 PM   
Kitakami

Besides that, I don't have enough transports, cargo ships, or planes, but besides that the war is going OK, I think. Pilot replacements are not ready yet either, but at least I will get the USN's fourth carrier in two turns. The three I have have decent air groups planes-wise, but their pilots still need tons of training. I need to be patient and not commit too early, I guess.

Any and all thoughts are welcome.

Tenno Heika Banzai!

(in reply to Kitakami)
Post #: 136
RE: JFB in charge of the USN??? - 11/2/2017 7:42:10 PM   
ny59giants

End of Dec '41: Yes, your situation is normal. Too many needs, not enough assets.

Soerabaja: best place to rearm your CAs and larger. I make it a point to hit it early as Japan in this mod.

Palembang: the longer Japan waits to invade and take this very important base, the more likely it will become "Fortress Palembang." Does he invade here before you get the large Brit division there??

Transport: it take a month for the most common 12 knot transports to get from California to Sydney. You are now learning how Allied players have to think further ahead when you have to go around the outside of the circle rather than the direct approach.

Use the list of bases I furnished for your PBYs to give you warning.

(in reply to Kitakami)
Post #: 137
RE: JFB in charge of the USN??? - 11/2/2017 7:53:53 PM   
Kitakami

quote:

End of Dec '41: Yes, your situation is normal. Too many needs, not enough assets.
Yeah, this game is quite enlightening in that regard.

quote:

Soerabaja: best place to rearm your CAs and larger. I make it a point to hit it early as Japan in this mod.
We will see what develops. That CarDiv needs to refuel and rearm at some point, hopefully before it is replaced by another one.

quote:

Palembang: the longer Japan waits to invade and take this very important base, the more likely it will become "Fortress Palembang." Does he invade here before you get the large Brit division there??
Hopefully not, but we will see. May need to sacrifice something to stop him. Hopefully not, but it may be necessary.

quote:

Transport: it takes a month for the most common 12 knot transports to get from California to Sydney. You are now learning how Allied players have to think further ahead when you have to go around the outside of the circle rather than the direct approach.

Use the list of bases I furnished for your PBYs to give you warning.
Off-map movement is much safer, and there are tons of small ships that can move supply and fuel from the East Coast to Cape town without fear of running out of fuel. As for the AEW system, it is in place. A couple of pieces are missing, but I need a few more Catalinas to refill two of my squadrons. The rest is done.

Thanks for your thoughts... much appreciated!

< Message edited by Kitakami -- 11/2/2017 7:54:11 PM >

Tenno Heika Banzai!

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 138
RE: JFB in charge of the USN??? - 11/2/2017 8:02:51 PM   
ny59giants

quote:

Off-map movement is much safer

Very true, but the biggest hurdle for Allied player is getting the supply away from USA. You can move lots to Cape Town. But you need to move it from there onto the map. That requires transports and fuel. You can easily run out of fuel at Cape Town (been there, done that!!). Most of your movement needs to be on map. You will get to understand the huge surplus of transports in the months ahead. The first 6 months are the toughest.

(in reply to Kitakami)
Post #: 139
RE: JFB in charge of the USN??? - 11/2/2017 8:06:55 PM   
Kitakami

quote:

Very true, but the biggest hurdle for Allied player is getting the supply away from USA. You can move lots to Cape Town. But you need to move it from there onto the map. That requires transports and fuel. You can easily run out of fuel at Cape Town (been there, done that!!). Most of your movement needs to be on map. You will get to understand the huge surplus of transports in the months ahead. The first 6 months are the toughest.
Never having been in this position, I will take your word for it. Fuel is moving from Los Angeles forward, albeit cautiously. Need to get a feel of how things go first. After six months I'll probably know where I am standing.

Tenno Heika Banzai!

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 140
RE: JFB in charge of the USN??? - 11/2/2017 8:09:31 PM   
modrow

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kitakami

Off-map movement is much safer, and there are tons of small ships that can move supply and fuel from the East Coast to Cape town without fear of running out of fuel.

Aye, but at least in stock San Diego-Sydney (direct route) ist 190 hex [with a detour maybe 200 hex], whereas Eastern US => Capetown=> Perth is 170+139=309 hex. So you'll use 50% more time. Did you mention a shortage in lift capacity

Hartwig

< Message edited by hartwig.modrow -- 11/2/2017 8:10:16 PM >

(in reply to Kitakami)
Post #: 141
RE: JFB in charge of the USN??? - 11/2/2017 8:12:57 PM   
modrow

quote:

[ You can easily run out of fuel at Cape Town (been there, done that!!).

+1

Hartwig

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 142
RE: JFB in charge of the USN??? - 11/3/2017 5:02:36 PM   
Kitakami

After reading your comments, I am going to run both. Reason being, I want to put to use those slow and short legged YOs, TKs, xAKLs and xAKs that would not be that useful for on-map hauling. It might not be much, but I am sure it will build up over time if I do it right.

There is 150k+ that left Los Angeles a turn or three ago, destination unknown. A number of 16- and 14-knt tankers have not arrived to LA yet. They were literally on the other side of the world!

Now let's get to the business of reporting:

Dec 29th, 1941

After a few turns of respite, my opponent has gathered strength (and gotten used to 2-day turns) and is now tightening the noose. He has been quite thorough in the taking of the small islands, and last turn I lost Mauban, Polillo, Kluong, Johore Bahru, Ambon, Lolobato and Sidate. The one that bears mention is Ambon. Although the base was lost, my esteemed opponent told me that he lost 3x APs due to CD fire. Going by the combat report, they were the xAP Tsingtao Maru, xAP Hoten Maru, and xAP Taizan Maru (all three 17-kt, 1000+600cap). I do not see them reported as sunk, but I have no reason to doubt Falken's word. At least that will slow down the advance of the 1st Kure Assault Div until transports are replaced. Only a couple of turns, but still, I take whatever I get at this point.

Ok, now with the data...

Tenno Heika Banzai!

(in reply to modrow)
Post #: 143
RE: JFB in charge of the USN??? - 11/3/2017 5:04:16 PM   
Kitakami

I was not quick enough to vacate the premises at Soerbaja, so CarDiv 3 from KB caught a number of small ships as they tried to escape, and sunk them all. My bad. I should have rerouted their escape. Must be much more careful from now on.

Attachment (1)

Tenno Heika Banzai!

(in reply to Kitakami)
Post #: 144
RE: JFB in charge of the USN??? - 11/3/2017 5:06:23 PM   
Kitakami

Pilot losses keep rising. I just hope that Japan is having more problems than I in this. If I recall correctly, Japan has less WIA and more KIA among its pilots. I lost my best ace last turn, which was not good.

Attachment (1)

Tenno Heika Banzai!

(in reply to Kitakami)
Post #: 145
RE: JFB in charge of the USN??? - 11/3/2017 5:09:27 PM   
Kitakami

The one thing I find strange to be going so much in my favor is plane losses. Last turn it was 20 Japanese to 10 Allied. I did not expect to be going my way so consistently. Hopefully this will help start eroding Japanese pilot quality.

Attachment (1)

Tenno Heika Banzai!

(in reply to Kitakami)
Post #: 146
RE: JFB in charge of the USN??? - 11/3/2017 5:17:37 PM   
Kitakami

For brevity's (and sanity's) sake, I decided not to post accumulated airframe losses and VP tallies every turn. I might do so once every 1-2 game weeks, or whenever anyone asks.

I do want to focus on a few areas of the map, though. First, the Philippines. In Davao, I have gathered defenders in Cagayan as much as I've been able to. I have 358 AV there, and don't think I'll be able to do more, due to supply. Still that force with level 2 forts will at least cause some enemy losses.

In Mindanao, enemy forces have reached Iba and Manila, but have not attacked Clark Field. Manila is well defended by now, but Iba will be lost in 1-2 turns. I am transferring remaining combat units from other bases to Manila, which currently has an AV of 715, plus all available artillery. I am sure the air bombing will begin this turn, so things ought to get nasty soon.

Attachment (1)

Tenno Heika Banzai!

(in reply to Kitakami)
Post #: 147
RE: JFB in charge of the USN??? - 11/3/2017 5:20:19 PM   
Kitakami

In Java, things are... interesting. KB CarDiv 3 is 7 hexes due east of Soerbaja, and could strike the port at any point. Surface fleet is not there, but there are a few tankers and subs being repaired. I have ordered all available fighters to CAP, and might cause some damage, but the Japanese bombers WILL get through.

Current AV in Soerbaja is 551, and forts are at 2.35

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Kitakami -- 11/3/2017 5:21:35 PM >

Tenno Heika Banzai!

(in reply to Kitakami)
Post #: 148
RE: JFB in charge of the USN??? - 11/3/2017 5:30:54 PM   
Kitakami

Fortress Singapore has been isolated. In the process of retreating, I lost an Indian Bde, and both Australian Bdes are in BAD shape. The rest of the forces are actually decent. AV in Singapore is 750 with forts at 3.19 CAP is not what I'd like, but it is there to keep Japan honest. No free bombing of Singapore.

Allied TB and 2EB have not seen action at all in this theater. They have been training until now. I am certain this will change next turn. I will try to unleash them all at once, hoping to hit at least a few transports with them. I see no land air in Singkawang yet, so I might have a chance to do something.

Finally, THE place where a lot is going to happen BADLY for me. I decided to reinforce Palembang, and did, but it was a turn too late. One more turn, and I would have been happy. All I can hope for now is to make Japan bleed as much as I can. Palembang has an AV of only 114, with forts at 1.44. 52 more AV will reach the base this turn, with a lot more in the next 2-3 turns, but unless mines, subs, and TB planes conspire against my opponent, I am doomed. There is more than a token CAP here, so I do hope that the base does not fall on the first turn.

Will take as many as I can with me though. I am going down fighting.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Kitakami -- 11/3/2017 5:32:05 PM >

Tenno Heika Banzai!

(in reply to Kitakami)
Post #: 149
RE: JFB in charge of the USN??? - 11/3/2017 7:01:02 PM   
Kitakami

This is the reason I think I am a turn too late: in Singkawang there are five task forces containing BBs (which I think can't go up the river, but can block my cruisers), cruisers (which can go up the river and bombard, mine sweepers (for obvious reasons), and cargo ships.

I think my only hope is not to lose the base on the initial assault, and feed reinforcements before the base falls. I may have gotten in too deep for my own good, but reembarking those troops in a size-1 port would not be easy either, especially without air cover.

Alea iacta est! (or, much more likely, Morituri te salutamus!)

Attachment (1)

Tenno Heika Banzai!

(in reply to Kitakami)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: JFB in charge of the USN??? Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI