Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Postage costs

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Postage costs Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Postage costs - 11/16/2017 6:49:48 PM   
JudgeDredd

I just wanted to ask if postage is always going to be this high or are there other options coming online at some point?

IIRC Decisive Campaigns was quite expensive on initial release and it was due to where it was being shipped from and other options became available later on release.

Alba gu' brath
Post #: 1
RE: Postage costs - 11/16/2017 7:01:22 PM   
zakblood

my 2 cents on this is, i posted and ordered the same day 2 items, true story

i ordered an item from China which was post free and cheaper than anywhere in the rest of the world and bought an item from Scotland, which is connected to the same Island i live on, UK,...

both items were in stock, both said up to 5 days free delivery, but can or could take up to 21 days etc, fair enough i paid and ordered and waited.

item from China came within the 5 days, but from Scotland it took 7, again both were in stock when ordered and sent the same day by post, had emails saying the same thing an hour part from a online retailer,...

so postage and time or arrival is place dependent and is down to the service of who supplies it and the costs etc, have no idea why China is so good at mailing and supporting and the UK service at times is so poor and so expensive.

regarding the site and forum one, re the question asked, only admin can answer this and tbh i'd guess it's out of there hands on who ever they use it's supply and demand

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 2
RE: Postage costs - 11/16/2017 8:29:01 PM   
Zenith

Yeah it would be great if we could purchase through Amazon as the postage costs from them are much more reasonable

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 3
RE: Postage costs - 11/16/2017 9:25:58 PM   
Shadrach

I noticed this too on ordering, the only option was DHL for $40, which is almost the same as the game costs, for postage
And it's not like I can't afford $40 but seriously guys.

Why isn't there an option for regular postage?

I can easily wait the 2-3 weeks for the manual and box to arrive, I don't need DHL on my door tomorrow morning. Often they don't even come to the door but I get a message to meet at a drop-point, shops and the like nearby. But for $40 I'd damn well expect them to show up at my door...

(in reply to Zenith)
Post #: 4
RE: Postage costs - 11/16/2017 10:09:38 PM   
IslandInland

quote:

ORIGINAL: zakblood

i ordered an item from China which was post free and cheaper than anywhere in the rest of the world and bought an item from Scotland, which is connected to the same Island i live on, UK,...

Scotland is part of the UK. For the time being at least anyway.

War In The East 2 Beta Tester and
War In The West Operation Torch Beta Tester
XXXCorps

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 5
RE: Postage costs - 11/17/2017 12:53:36 AM   
Dorb

Just bought game and book Ohio USA. $65.00.

I am more afraid of an army of 100 sheep led by a lion than an army of 100 lions led by a sheep.
… Charles Maurice de Talleyrand-Perigord

(in reply to IslandInland)
Post #: 6
RE: Postage costs - 11/17/2017 10:25:41 AM   
Shadrach

USD 65 for DHL shipping in the US? Man,that's basically theft... is someone at Matrix getting wined and dined by DHL management?

I thought the game shipped from the US, maybe they send from Europe?

(in reply to Dorb)
Post #: 7
RE: Postage costs - 11/17/2017 10:52:06 AM   
zakblood

quote:

ORIGINAL: XXXCorps

quote:

was joking

Post #: 8
RE: Postage costs - 11/17/2017 10:59:26 AM   
IslandInland

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: XXXCorps

quote:

was joking

OK.

I hope postage is reasonable to the UK for this game. Strategic Command WWII: War in Europe postage costs were very expensive and in the end I ordered from Amazon.

If there are prohibitive then I might forgo the physical version and just pick up the download version. I will be ordering later today so I will decide then.

War In The East 2 Beta Tester and
War In The West Operation Torch Beta Tester
XXXCorps

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 9
RE: Postage costs - 11/17/2017 12:47:57 PM   
IainMcNeil

We've done a lot of work to bring the postage charges to where they are and we don't think there is any way to go lower. Unless something dramatic changes we wont have any new or cheaper shipping options for the forseeable future. Unfortunately this is what it costs to ship from Germany or the US depending on where you are based. We'd love it to be cheaper but haven't found a service that can do it better and we've been looking for some time.

Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games

Post #: 10
RE: Postage costs - 11/17/2017 5:26:00 PM   
RealChuckB

quote:

ORIGINAL: stian

USD 65 for DHL shipping in the US? Man,that's basically theft... is someone at Matrix getting wined and dined by DHL management?

I thought the game shipped from the US, maybe they send from Europe?

Actually, the DHL shipping for me (US) was $10, I think he meant $65 for game, shipping & taxes

(in reply to Shadrach)
Post #: 11
RE: Postage costs - 11/17/2017 5:41:48 PM   
radic202

quote:

ORIGINAL: IainMcNeil

We've done a lot of work to bring the postage charges to where they are and we don't think there is any way to go lower. Unless something dramatic changes we wont have any new or cheaper shipping options for the forseeable future. Unfortunately this is what it costs to ship from Germany or the US depending on where you are based. We'd love it to be cheaper but haven't found a service that can do it better and we've been looking for some time.

Well from my experience in shipping many and I mean many items of all sizes overseas, South America and Asia etc....you can always go to the post office fill in the little form that says contents and weight and put some frigging postage stamps on it or do it at the office form a computer program like I have with Canada Post. The stamps look cool on the box, they look like someone cared about getting it to you properly applying the stamps or stickers and away they go at a more reasonable rate. If peeps want it fast, tracked and efficient, then charge them the $40.00 - $60.00 shipping charge but give us a choice.

I mean I am paying almost for a full game just in shipping charges, let me take the chance to get it by simple non-tracked snail mail at 3/10th the cost, plus I collect postage stamps........

On the other hand I do understand that getting 100+ orders at a time can be a huge time sink for staff or whatever that prepare the orders. But then again you would make some customers not get so rattled by huge shipping costs and a happy and loyal customer is gold in any business.........anyways my 2 cents.

It is much harder to think about doing something than actually doing it!

(in reply to IainMcNeil)
Post #: 12
RE: Postage costs - 11/17/2017 7:22:15 PM   
budd

No chance of getting the Hardcover manuals on Amazon in the book shop? Your games are sold there. I can usually order a hardcover 200-400 page military history book for $3.99 shipping across the US when I can't get the free prime shipping.

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

(in reply to radic202)
Post #: 13
RE: Postage costs - 11/18/2017 8:13:21 AM   
JudgeDredd

quote:

ORIGINAL: IainMcNeil

Well - first off, apologies for tarnishing a release with another debate on cost. But it's run of the mill for a new release.

As to your point Iain - this was all brought up previously in another release - I think Decisive Campaigns - where the delivery seemed ludicrous.

IIRC, there was a rather furious debate going on about what charges were being asked and people brought up examples back then of being able to send what you are actually going to send for a fraction of the cost.

The point is I could take your box and ship it back to the address whence it came for a fraction of what you're going to charge.

The other point to make is I'm a consumer and you're a business. Every man and his dog knows businesses get preferential rates. It happens in all walks of life - if you're a business, you get trade. It's the public that pay the whack.

So it makes no sense that I, a consumer, can send a single item for less than you're charging and you, a business and with the potential clout that brings, charge me more for the same item.

Again - this was brought up in a previous release.

I checked and if I've got it right, I paid £1.85 for postage for Decisive Campaigns!

Thread here
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3985343&mpage=1&key=postage�

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to IainMcNeil)
Post #: 14
RE: Postage costs - 11/18/2017 9:38:56 AM   
Shadrach

Basically I think its an issue of DHL pushing their premium services and disregarding any other options. And really, why shouldn't they, they are a business, so forcing the customer to choose the most expensive package is a no-brainer.

When there's a single provider offering services then this is what happens. Basically a monopoly situation.
Matrix isn't to blame other than they've decided to outsource all their shipping to another outfit, and that outfit screws over their customers and tells Matrix "We can't offer any cheaper services, no Sir, nooooooot at aaaaal, this is what is costs now bugger off".

I don't need next-day delivery by DHL, I can wait two weeks or more. In fact in Europe, before Amazon et al moved some wares over here, that's what you did, you ordered something online from the US and waited three weeks.

There are stores where you get free shipping, especially from China, basically your package gets sent on a container ship and takes 3-4 weeks to arrive. Most can live with that, but the last years as online sales have exploded, especially Americans have started to expect next-day delivery for everything, and of course the providers know how to make the bucks off that.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 15
RE: Postage costs - 11/18/2017 1:05:51 PM   
aspqrz02

I haven't looked into it yet, but it might be cheaper to have it shipped to a US remailer for $10 and then have to remailer readdress it and post it to you ...

I have used Shipito for years and their prices, even for couriers or expedited mail, are generally less than the 'rock bottom' prices some suppliers try to fool you into believing are actually 'rock bottom' when they are anything but ... they've even done away with their handling fee, which used to be $5, IRRC, but the saving may not be much after you add in the $10.

Just checked, assuming a 2lb package the size of a US Quarto Book, Shipito quotes (to Australia) US$27.57 by Australia Post (actually some US courier who ships by air to Australia Post for the last leg delivery) in 4-9 Business Days. That's about $15 cheaper than the 'rock bottom' price Matrix is quoting even when you add in the postage to Shipito in LA.

Airmail Economy is 25-45 Business Days and $6 cheaper ... and not worth it, IMO, but it *is* available.

I don't know who Matrix uses, but they evidently saw them coming a mile off ...

Phil

< Message edited by aspqrz -- 11/18/2017 1:12:57 PM >

Author, Space Opera (FGU); RBB #1 (FASA); Road to Armageddon; Farm, Forge and Steam; Orbis Mundi; Displaced (PGD)
----------------------------------------------
Email: aspqrz@tpg.com.au

(in reply to Shadrach)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Postage costs Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI